The Official Sindarin Translation Thread II

Tolkien's worlds were birthed out of his love of language and his work at creating new ones. Enter into discussions surrounding Tolkien's languages.

Re: The Official Sindarin Translation Thread II

Postby Xandarien » Wed Sep 30, 2015 1:05 am

Huntress227 wrote:Hello! I need to get a couple of things translated into Sindarin for my first tattoo. I will also then be converting them into Tengwar, If anyone has any suggestions on how best to do that, it would be awesome. I used to speak a little Sindarin back in high school(not as much as I would have liked), so I want this to be as accurate as possible and know better than to try to go off of random generator crap. I appreciate this feed and the awesome work y'all do. First off, I'd like to get translation for the word "Huntress" as it is my nickname. (Translation might be "Female Hunter/Lady of the Hunt," maybe?)

Secondly, I'm heavily considering getting one of these Tolkien quotes. I'd like to get all translated so I can choose between them.
: "A single dream is more powerful than a thousand realities."

"Courage is Found in unlikely places."

"But in the end, it's only a passing shadow, even darkness must pass. A new day will come, and when the sun shines it'll shine out the clearer."

Thank you so much for helping me, I am so excited to see the results!!! :D

Well I'm glad you came here instead of a generator :D.

Huntress = Fareth, Faril, Farel. -eth, -il and -el are all just endings that mean 'female xyz', so pick which you prefer.

Phrases don't tend to translate exactly word for word from English to Sindarin, but I always try to make them as close as possible. Choices in brackets are explained afterwards!

Mîn ôl sâf [balan/tûr] athan i valan o veneg thennais = A dream has more power than a thousand truths (literally 'One dream has power beyond the power of a thousand truths').
Choice in brackets:
balan = divine power
tûr = power, victory, mastery

Mîn = One
ôl = dream
sâf = has, possesses
athan = beyond
i = the
o = of
veneg = a thousand
thennais = truths

Berenas hirnen mi haid ú-abgennen = Courage is found in unforeseen places
Berenas = Courage, bravery
hirnen = is found
mi = in
haid = places
úabgennen = unforeseen

Ach min meth, de dúath belol ero, a boe i vôr pelitha. Aur eden telitha a ir i Anor síla, sílatha gelair = But in the end, it is only a passing shadow, and the darkness must fade. A new day will come and when the sun shines, it will shine brilliantly.
Ach = But
min = in the
meth = end
de = it is
dúath = shadow
belol = fading
ero = alone, only
a = and
boe = it is necessary
i = the
vôr = darkness
pelitha = it will fade
aur = day
eden = new
telitha = will come
ir = when, while
Anor = sun
síla = it shines
sílatha = it will shine
gelair = brilliant
Xandarien
Rider of the Mark

Postby Huntress227 » Wed Sep 30, 2015 6:35 pm

Thank you SO much! I spent some time today transcribing these into Tengwar and I think I like how the quote about courage looks best with the Annatar font I chose. I am so excited! Thanks again you're the best!
Huntress227
Petitioner to the Council

Postby Almatolmen » Thu Oct 01, 2015 7:21 am

feredir
n. hunter
Group: Eldamo. Published 2015-07-29 13:25:19 by Eldamo Import

fain
dim
adj. dim, dimmed (applied to dimmed or fading lights or to things seen in them); filmy, fine-woven, etc. (applied to things that only partially screened light, such as a canopy of young still half-transparent leaves, or textures that veiled but only half-concealed a form).

[(PE17 Sindarin Corpus) PE17:174] < *phanyā < PHAN cover, screen, veil. Group: Parma Eldalamberon 17 Sindarin Corpus. Published 2012-04-23 20:01:34 by Aldaleon
fain
vague shape or fleeting glimpse
n. vague shape or fleeting glimpse, esp. of 'apparitions' or figures seen in dreams.

[(PE17 Sindarin Corpus) PE17:174] < *phanyā < PHAN cover, screen, veil. Group: Parma Eldalamberon 17 Sindarin Corpus. Published 2012-04-23 20:01:34 by Aldaleon

Qenya
luksima
adj. fleeting, fading, temporary
[QL/056.6401] Group: Eldamo. Published 2015-07-29 13:17:13 by Eldamo Import

ᴱ√LUHU root. “*time”

Reference ✧ QL/056.5601

Derivatives

> ᴱQ. lú “24 hours, day” ✧ QL/056.5701
> ᴱQ. luin “ago” ✧ QL/056.6301
> ᴱQ. luina “ago” ✧ QL/056.6201
> ᴱQ. -lukse “-times” ✧ QL/056.7301
> ᴱQ. luksima “fleeting, fading, temporary” ✧ QL/056.6401
> ᴱQ. lukta “period” ✧ QL/056.6501
> ᴱQ. lúme “time” ✧ QL/056.7501
⇒ ᴱQ. lúmia “pertaining to time, temporal” ✧ QL/056.7601
> ᴱQ. lúmen “year, period” ✧ QL/056.7701
> ᴱQ. lunde “month (lunar)” ✧ QL/056.5801
⇒ 6 compounds
> ᴱQ. lúta- “time passes” ✧ QL/056.6001
> G. lu “occasion, time”
> G. luin “gone, past; ago”
> G. lûm “time”
⇒ G. Lúmin ✧ LT1A
> G. lust “time; tide; weather”
> G. lûtha- “pass (of time); come to pass, occur”

And for help with transcription from Isildilmë, one link to instructions and another for the current thread:

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=103449

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=107285&start=60
Almatolmen
Mariner

Postby Zinneth » Sun Oct 04, 2015 1:51 pm

Hello again! I am trying to put together a translation of: "Forging Perfection"

I found the A-stem verb maga- for 'forge,' which I believe would then translate into the gerund form, magad? But, as far as I can see, there is no word for 'perfection.' I've tried to find something similar... excellence, exquisiteness, but there are no equivalents. The closest I could find was 'purity,' which is glanas. I think that would make magad glanas, but it doesn't quite capture what I was aiming for. Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Zinneth
Zinneth
Citizen of Imladris

Postby Xandarien » Mon Oct 05, 2015 1:20 am

Zinneth wrote:Hello again! I am trying to put together a translation of: "Forging Perfection"

I found the A-stem verb maga- for 'forge,' which I believe would then translate into the gerund form, magad? But, as far as I can see, there is no word for 'perfection.' I've tried to find something similar... excellence, exquisiteness, but there are no equivalents. The closest I could find was 'purity,' which is glanas. I think that would make magad glanas, but it doesn't quite capture what I was aiming for. Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Zinneth

Maga- is literally 'to forge with metal', and the form you would want is Magol = Forging (which unfortunately looks exactly like the word Magol = Sword, and in a sentence this short it wouldn't be clear which you meant).
Another option is the verb Echad- = to fashion, make; Echol = Fashioning, making.

Perfection... *sigh*. I've had a lot of issues with this word as there simply isn't a direct translation, or really any good alternatives. Glanas is one I tend to offer, but 'perfection' to the Elves was 'unmarred beauty', which I've tentatively reconstructed before as Pámbain.
Xandarien
Rider of the Mark

Postby Zinneth » Mon Oct 05, 2015 6:03 am

Xandarien wrote:
Maga- is literally 'to forge with metal', and the form you would want is Magol = Forging (which unfortunately looks exactly like the word Magol = Sword, and in a sentence this short it wouldn't be clear which you meant).
Another option is the verb Echad- = to fashion, make; Echol = Fashioning, making.

Perfection... *sigh*. I've had a lot of issues with this word as there simply isn't a direct translation, or really any good alternatives. Glanas is one I tend to offer, but 'perfection' to the Elves was 'unmarred beauty', which I've tentatively reconstructed before as Pámbain.

Your translation of 'forging unmarred beauty' totally works for me — that does get across what I'm trying to say! Thank you very much! And thanks also for correcting my verb form (back to the drawing board on that, lol).

Zinneth
Zinneth
Citizen of Imladris

Postby Zinneth » Sun Oct 11, 2015 5:00 pm

Hello again, Xandarien! This should be the last time I bug you for a while. :) I'd like to check some name compounds with you. I had at one point used a nifty name generator that supposedly had all the rules coded in, but that site seems to have disappeared. This is probably a good thing, since it's forcing me to continue learning this language the hard way. Here's my list; let me know if I've done things correctly:

Tauros = forest whisper
Brannion = noble son
Nimmeril = white rose
Rimmith = cold mist
Brégur = wild fire
Sulvaethor = wind warrior
Thalagu = steady bow

There is one more... the compound for star child. I put this name together a long time ago, using the generator. It gave me Elchen, to which I added the feminine suffix, 'eth,' to form Elcheneth. But after reading through your rules for compounds, am I correct in assuming that it's supposed to be Elheneth? On your site you state that the 'h' should only be changed to a 'ch' if the last letter of the first word is a vowel or after 'r.'

Thank you for all your help!
Zinneth
Zinneth
Citizen of Imladris

Postby Xandarien » Mon Oct 12, 2015 12:36 am

Zinneth wrote:Hello again, Xandarien! This should be the last time I bug you for a while. :) I'd like to check some name compounds with you. I had at one point used a nifty name generator that supposedly had all the rules coded in, but that site seems to have disappeared. This is probably a good thing, since it's forcing me to continue learning this language the hard way. Here's my list; let me know if I've done things correctly:

Tauros = forest whisper
Brannion = noble son
Nimmeril = white rose
Rimmith = cold mist
Brégur = wild fire
Sulvaethor = wind warrior
Thalagu = steady bow

There is one more... the compound for star child. I put this name together a long time ago, using the generator. It gave me Elchen, to which I added the feminine suffix, 'eth,' to form Elcheneth. But after reading through your rules for compounds, am I correct in assuming that it's supposed to be Elheneth? On your site you state that the 'h' should only be changed to a 'ch' if the last letter of the first word is a vowel or after 'r.'

Thank you for all your help!
Zinneth

Tauros could also be Taros (AU collapses to A when it's the first word in a compound)
Ring+Mith would actually just become Ringvith
the rest are perfect! :)

Star child. El+hen+eth should be Elheneth yes not Elcheneth.
Xandarien
Rider of the Mark

Postby Zinneth » Mon Oct 12, 2015 6:15 pm

Xandarien wrote:
Tauros could also be Taros (AU collapses to A when it's the first word in a compound)
Ring+Mith would actually just become Ringvith
the rest are perfect! :)

Star child. El+hen+eth should be Elheneth yes not Elcheneth.

Ahh, see, I knew that generator couldn't possibly have all the rules for that last name. As for the others, I'm still learning, slowly but surely. Thanking you for your help once more!

Zinneth
Zinneth
Citizen of Imladris

Postby robin316 » Fri Oct 16, 2015 6:55 pm

Is there a Sindarin translation for the following English names:
Robin
Katelyn
Lindsay
Joey

Thanks a bunch
robin316

Postby Xandarien » Sat Oct 17, 2015 1:49 am

robin316 wrote:Is there a Sindarin translation for the following English names:
Robin
Katelyn
Lindsay
Joey

Thanks a bunch

I can translate meanings of names, certainly. Robin is obvious; Katelyn seems to mean 'pure'; Lindsay seems to mean 'island of linden trees', and Joey is a diminutive of Joseph which means 'May Jehovah add/increase'. Are you happy with the meanings of these?
Xandarien
Rider of the Mark

Postby robin316 » Sat Oct 17, 2015 4:42 am

Yes that sounds great
robin316

Postby robin316 » Sat Oct 17, 2015 4:43 am

Xandarien wrote:
robin316 wrote:Is there a Sindarin translation for the following English names:
Robin
Katelyn
Lindsay
Joey

Thanks a bunch

I can translate meanings of names, certainly. Robin is obvious; Katelyn seems to mean 'pure'; Lindsay seems to mean 'island of linden trees', and Joey is a diminutive of Joseph which means 'May Jehovah add/increase'. Are you happy with the meanings of these?

Yes that sounds great Thanks!
robin316

Postby Xandarien » Sun Oct 18, 2015 1:42 am

Okey dokey!

Robin
Carnammos (literally 'red breast' as in the bird)
you haven't specified whether this is male or female (as it can be either!) so here it is with all endings (these are optional)
Carnammosil = Robin (female ending)
Carnammosel = Robin (female ending)
Carnammoseth = Robin (female ending)
Carnammosien = Robin daughter
Carnammosiel = Robin daughter
Carnammoswen = Robin maiden
or
Carnammoson = Robin (male ending)
Carnammosion = Robin son
Carnammosdîr = Man who is a robin
Carnammosben = Person who is a robin

Katelyn
Glân = Bright, shining white, pure
With endings
Glánil = Pure female
Glánel = Pure female
Gláneth = Pure female
Glánien = Pure daughter
Glániel = Pure daughter
Glánwen = Pure maiden

Lindsay
There's no word in Sindarin for the specific tree known as the Linden, but it seems to be a tree that would called a Galadh rather than an Orn. As a sentence, "Island of large trees" is Tol Gelaidh in Sindarin but this doesn't make a very nice name. I could just use Galadh, which would give you (again you didn't say if they were male or female, so I've done both!)
Galadhil = Large tree (female ending)
Galadhel = Large tree (female ending)
Galadheth = Large tree (female ending)
Galadhien = Large tree daughter
Galadhiel = Large tree daughter
Galadhwen = Large tree maiden
or
Galadhon = Large tree (male ending)
Galadhron = Large tree (male ending)
Galadhion = Large tree son
Galadhîr = Large tree man
Galadhben = Large tree person

Joey
Dafo Iladar ortho = May God increase
but again, it's a sentence not a name, and I can't think of a viable name version at the moment. If these are for a tattoo, it might be a better idea to have Joey and Lindsay transliterated directly into Tengwar instead of having them translated.
Xandarien
Rider of the Mark

Postby Esgalwath » Sun Oct 18, 2015 11:05 am

Hello. Can you please translate this to Sindarin:

"Please don't die"
(It doesn't have to be exactly the same, but with this idea. I like writing fanfictions, but I don't have time to study elvish...)

And if you have some problem with understanding me, just ask! English isn't my first language, and it's not so easy to learn... :)
Esgalwath

Postby Xandarien » Sun Oct 18, 2015 2:11 pm

Esgalwath wrote:Hello. Can you please translate this to Sindarin:

"Please don't die"
(It doesn't have to be exactly the same, but with this idea. I like writing fanfictions, but I don't have time to study elvish...)

And if you have some problem with understanding me, just ask! English isn't my first language, and it's not so easy to learn... :)

Sindarin doesn't have any word whatsoever for 'please', but
Avo firo!/Avfiro! Don't die!
or
Avo gwanno!/Avwanno! Don't die!

Avo = Don't can take either the form Avo or Av- attached to the verb. They mean the same thing.
Firo = death (for a mortal)
Gwanno = fading (death for an Elf)
Xandarien
Rider of the Mark

Postby Esgalwath » Mon Oct 19, 2015 6:25 am

Xandarien wrote:
Sindarin doesn't have any word whatsoever for 'please', but
Avo firo!/Avfiro! Don't die!
or
Avo gwanno!/Avwanno! Don't die!

Avo = Don't can take either the form Avo or Av- attached to the verb. They mean the same thing.
Firo = death (for a mortal)
Gwanno = fading (death for an Elf)

Thanks!
Esgalwath

Postby Logaems94 » Wed Oct 21, 2015 8:42 am

Hi everyone :)

I already posted in the Quenya Thread about a tattoo but I'm not sure which language is better so I'm trying here too.

I'm looking for a translation for "unconditional (love)", my idea is to break it down into "love without condition", but as I'm not a native English speaker there might be a better translation that is easier to translate into Sindarin (and then transcribe to Tengwar later on).

Another suggestion was "love without boundaries" or "love without requirements"

So I tried to put it together and got

"Love without boundaries"
Meleth pen-gland

Do you have any further suggestions or corrections?
Logaems94

Postby Xandarien » Thu Oct 22, 2015 2:19 am

Logaems94 wrote:Hi everyone :)

I already posted in the Quenya Thread about a tattoo but I'm not sure which language is better so I'm trying here too.

I'm looking for a translation for "unconditional (love)", my idea is to break it down into "love without condition", but as I'm not a native English speaker there might be a better translation that is easier to translate into Sindarin (and then transcribe to Tengwar later on).

Another suggestion was "love without boundaries" or "love without requirements"

So I tried to put it together and got

"Love without boundaries"
Meleth pen-gland

Do you have any further suggestions or corrections?

Just a wee correction - Gland = Boundary, Glaind = Boundaries.

Meleth pen-'laind = Love without boundaries
Xandarien
Rider of the Mark

Postby ruzwildfire » Sun Nov 29, 2015 1:35 pm

Hello :)

I would like the following to be translated:

-nice watch (where watch is the thing that tells time)

-we are eternal

-all this pain
is (just) an illusion (I might want to remove just later so please let me know which word it is)

-the monsters in my head

Thank you in advance!
ruzwildfire

Postby Xandarien » Tue Dec 01, 2015 1:07 pm

ruzwildfire wrote:Hello :)

I would like the following to be translated:

-nice watch (where watch is the thing that tells time)

-we are eternal

-all this pain
is (just) an illusion (I might want to remove just later so please let me know which word it is)

-the monsters in my head

Thank you in advance!

I can't translate 'nice watch' for you as there are no words for 'clock', 'watch' or 'timepiece' of any sort.

Me uireb = We are eternal
Me = We are
uireb = eternal

Pân i naeg hen = All this pain
Pân = All
i naeg hen = this pain (naeg = pain)

I [úain/ylynn] mi i dhôl nîn = The monsters in my head
The choice is between úain = monsters and ylynn = monsters, deformed and hideous creatures
In = the
mi = in
i dhôl nîn = my head (dhôl = head)
Xandarien
Rider of the Mark

Postby ruzwildfire » Tue Dec 01, 2015 3:56 pm

Thank you, Xandarien!

I was expecting that for the word watch.

What about this part? : is (just) an illusion
ruzwildfire

Postby Xandarien » Wed Dec 02, 2015 3:37 am

ruzwildfire wrote:Thank you, Xandarien!

I was expecting that for the word watch.

What about this part? : is (just) an illusion

Ah, I didn't spot that part! There's no direct word for 'illusion', so here's some alternatives:
Pân i naeg hen em (ú-thand) = All this pain is an (untrue) image
Pân i naeg hen indemm = All this pain is a vision
Pân i naeg hen ú-thand = All this pain is untrue
Pân i naeg hen ôl = All this pain is a dream
Xandarien
Rider of the Mark

Postby ruzwildfire » Wed Dec 02, 2015 11:20 am

You are awesome ^_^ Thank you so much!
ruzwildfire

Postby AriMoonshadow » Thu Dec 10, 2015 10:12 am

I'm a bit embarrassed about asking about this buuuuuuut.... I'm looking for the translation for "Because it was real". Thanks ahead of time ^.^;
AriMoonshadow

Postby Xandarien » Fri Dec 11, 2015 11:45 am

AriMoonshadow wrote:I'm a bit embarrassed about asking about this buuuuuuut.... I'm looking for the translation for "Because it was real". Thanks ahead of time ^.^;

An non thand
= For it was real
Or
Sui non thand = As it was real

:)
Xandarien
Rider of the Mark

Postby AriMoonshadow » Fri Dec 11, 2015 5:59 pm

*blushes* thank you ^.^ *hops over to the other translation board with it*
AriMoonshadow

Postby ruzwildfire » Sat Dec 12, 2015 9:51 am

Hello again Xandarien!

I'm looking for the translation of "numb".
ruzwildfire

Postby Zinneth » Sat Dec 26, 2015 3:55 pm

Hello again! I'm going to test my woeful translation skills. Would "gifts of affection" translate as: aint n mîl?

Thank you in advance for your help!
Zinneth
Zinneth
Citizen of Imladris

Postby Xandarien » Sun Dec 27, 2015 1:44 am

Zinneth wrote:Hello again! I'm going to test my woeful translation skills. Would "gifts of affection" translate as: aint n mîl?

Thank you in advance for your help!
Zinneth

Yes indeed!
Aint mîl = Gifts of affection (not sure where the 'n' came from in the middle of yours? :) )
Xandarien
Rider of the Mark

PreviousNext

Return to Language