Translation of the Ainulindalë into Sindarin

Tolkien's worlds were birthed out of his love of language and his work at creating new ones. Enter into discussions surrounding Tolkien's languages.

Re: Translation of the Ainulindalë into Sindarin

Postby Isildilmë » Wed Nov 21, 2012 12:51 pm

:happydance:

:clap:
Concerning the Official Tengwar Transcription Thread - VI
To all the newbees, Welcome to TORC !
Before posting anything on this thread, READ THE INTRODUCTION. For now, I didn't have the time to update the intro, so I let you read the intro of thread #IV here.

If you have any questions, feel free to ask in the threads or by email (isildilme@hotmail.com - write "Tengwar" somewhere in the subject in case you fall in my junkmail, because if I don't know, I wont open the message !). Note that I don't accept transcription requests by email, you have to post them here !

You can address yourself to me in French, Spanish or English as you wish.

Special message : I have now two precious sons. They are my priorities, and an additional explanation for the delays in my answers. I WILL answer you... but you might have to wait. Thank you for your comprehension.
Isildilmë
Devoted to the Sheen

Postby avogel57 » Wed Nov 21, 2012 10:09 pm

Well, it seems that while Quenya may be somewhat more appropriate, the actual translation would be a while in the works, whereas Xandarien already has a decent start on the Sindarin version. I'm leaning towards let's do this in Sindarin in the near term (next few months) and transcribe it, then set it into art, and then if and when we get this in Quenya, we can look at doing it a second or third time.

I really do think that for the hardcore fans out there, this will be a real boon; there HAVE to be a ton of people like us out there that will really appreciate it, and find some sort of use, be it art, or tattoos, or calligraphy, or who knows what! If y'all are game, I will forego the straight English -> Tengwar transcription, and wait on a propper Elvish/Sindarin translation/transcription and then get to work! :D
avogel57
Citizen of Imladris

Postby Isildilmë » Thu Nov 22, 2012 6:42 am

*after searching "forego" in the dictionnary to be sure she understood what was happening... *

That is what I hoped to read !

:D

And I agree that there must be at least a ton of people like us who would be excited with this idea... and not just metaphorically... as a ton is 1000 kg and a "regular" adult is 70 kg, with not even 15 people we have a ton. So there must be MANY tons of them :lol:
Before posting anything on this thread, READ THE INTRODUCTION. For now, I didn't have the time to update the intro, so I let you read the intro of thread #IV here.

If you have any questions, feel free to ask in the threads or by email (isildilme@hotmail.com - write "Tengwar" somewhere in the subject in case you fall in my junkmail, because if I don't know, I wont open the message !). Note that I don't accept transcription requests by email, you have to post them here !

Special message : I have now two precious sons. They are my priorities, and an additional explanation for the delays in my answers. I WILL answer you... but you might have to wait. Thank you for your comprehension.
Isildilmë
Devoted to the Sheen

Postby avogel57 » Thu Nov 22, 2012 2:09 pm

Hehee, many many tons!

Okay, I'd better start clearing things off of my desk so I have time to dive right in to this! :D
avogel57
Citizen of Imladris

Postby Gladhaniel » Fri Nov 23, 2012 5:33 am

Isildilmë wrote:If you ever want me to join the discussion and/or analyse the translation with you (you know I have far less experience and I'm far slower than what you can be !), send me your material by email and I'll see what I can do to help, but it will of course be longer.

Very good idea, thanks for the proposition! :D I think I'm going to do what I can, and the elements I feel uncertain about I'll share with you, in case you happen to have something to say about them. :)

I completely agree with both of you (Dilmë and avogel). I'll get started with the Quenya translation, and let's see if we can do something with it later on. :D

Awesome start with the Sindarin translation, by the way! :)
Gladhaniel
Rider of the Mark

Postby Xandarien » Mon Dec 03, 2012 3:10 am

Second page is finished (and posted in the first post, vocabulary also updated).

I've already started on the third page but haven't typed any of it up yet. :)

How goes the Quenya version?
Xandarien
Rider of the Mark

Postby Gladhaniel » Mon Dec 03, 2012 4:00 am

Xandarien wrote:How goes the Quenya version?

*cough* I recently finished the first paragraph. :blush: I know, I'm very slow... Hopefully I'll have more time to work on this now, as my Christmas vacations begin in two days.
Gladhaniel
Rider of the Mark

Postby Isildilmë » Mon Dec 03, 2012 5:54 am

Slow ? What's that ? You are much faster than any of us, and we all do that on our scarce free time... I'm currently much slower with my transcriptions !

Isildilmë
Devoted to the Sheen

Postby Gladhaniel » Mon Dec 03, 2012 7:42 pm

Isildilmë wrote:Slow ? What's that ? You are much faster than any of us, and we all do that on our scarce free time... I'm currently much slower with my transcriptions !

You're so lovely! :) Thank you. Now I don't feel that stupid anymore hehe :D
Gladhaniel
Rider of the Mark

Postby Xandarien » Tue Dec 04, 2012 3:32 pm

Started posting the translations of the third page. I highly doubt I'll be done before the new year :P
Xandarien
Rider of the Mark

Postby Xandarien » Mon Dec 17, 2012 3:04 pm

Okay, finished up to the end of the third page and the beginning of the first sentence on the fourth, and that'll probably be it until after Christmas :) I have an essay to write and a 50 page document to edit for my own website.
Xandarien
Rider of the Mark

Postby Isildilmë » Fri Dec 21, 2012 12:42 pm

Xandarien wrote:Okay, finished up to the end of the third page and the beginning of the first sentence on the fourth, and that'll probably be it until after Christmas :) I have an essay to write and a 50 page document to edit for my own website.

This is wonderful !

I hope to have a bit of time for the transcription soon... I'll tell you about it.
*bows... twice !*

Isildilmë
Devoted to the Sheen

Postby Xandarien » Mon Jan 14, 2013 3:20 pm

Finally made a start on carrying on with it - part of the fourth page is up.

My current workload is filled with commissions (Sindarin) and two university courses to say nothing of keeping my own site stocked with new material, this is currently wavering somewhere near the bottom of the 'to do' pile.
Xandarien
Rider of the Mark

Postby Isildilmë » Mon Jan 14, 2013 5:57 pm

*Bows until her nose touches the ground*

Wonderful !!
I'm sorry I didn't follow yet... if some of you visited the Tengwar thread lastly, you might have seen that I had a bit to do... when I'll be able to put up with the pending requests, I'll start with my part of the deal ;)

Isildilmë
Devoted to the Sheen

Postby Almatolmen » Mon Jan 14, 2013 10:52 pm

But in the end it will rise to the top! We are very patient.
Almatolmen
Mariner

Postby Xandarien » Tue Jan 15, 2013 3:44 am

Isildilmë wrote:*Bows until her nose touches the ground*

Wonderful !!
I'm sorry I didn't follow yet... if some of you visited the Tengwar thread lastly, you might have seen that I had a bit to do... when I'll be able to put up with the pending requests, I'll start with my part of the deal ;)

Yeah I've not been envying you your Tengwar workload the last few weeks, it looks horrendous!

Besides, probably a good thing you haven't made a start yet, it probably needs a few edits for object mutation.
Xandarien
Rider of the Mark

Postby Isildilmë » Thu Jan 17, 2013 5:41 am

oh really ? good thing I didn't start then... should I wait until you're finished ?

Or maybe, if I have the time to start while you're not 100% done, I will tell you and if you modify something, you tell me to be sure I see the modification ?

:)

Isildilmë
Devoted to the Sheen

Postby Xandarien » Thu Jan 17, 2013 12:37 pm

If you wait til I'm finished we might be here a while :rofl:

I'll say yes to the second option.
Xandarien
Rider of the Mark

Postby Xandarien » Tue Jan 29, 2013 7:27 am

Finished to the end of the fourth page - halfway through, hurrah. Some of these sentences are such a pain to even change from English to another English one that can be translated! Quite happy though as to how true I've stayed to the original text, there isn't a single sentence that has had to be completely rewritten. :)
Xandarien
Rider of the Mark

Postby Isildilmë » Fri Feb 01, 2013 9:37 am

Wonderful :D
I keep reading you and following this incredible work you're doing, even if I have nothing to say and I don't always reply :)

I just wanted you to know that you are not posting the explanations for nobody. :lol:

Isildilmë
Devoted to the Sheen

Postby Xandarien » Fri Feb 01, 2013 12:15 pm

Haha thanks. :)

I've also posted most of it on the Google+ Elfling community (making sure other people can read it fine, basically).
Xandarien
Rider of the Mark

Postby Isildilmë » Fri Feb 01, 2013 2:48 pm

Did you receive any comment yet ?

Isildilmë
Devoted to the Sheen

Postby Xandarien » Sat Feb 02, 2013 2:19 am

Other than a couple of different versions of 'oh wow that looks great', no not really, which led me to a rather sad conclusion last night (which my husband agreed with) - none of them have the fluency to read it straight off :(
Xandarien
Rider of the Mark

Postby avogel57 » Sun Feb 03, 2013 11:18 pm

Just wanted to pop in and say hi! and keep up the good work :)

I too am following your progress, and though I'm not always commenting (and I really am not qualified to offer much in the way of constructive advice) I'm excited to see this coming along!

Cheers! :D
avogel57
Citizen of Imladris

Postby Xandarien » Mon Feb 04, 2013 2:47 am

avogel57 wrote:Just wanted to pop in and say hi! and keep up the good work :)

I too am following your progress, and though I'm not always commenting (and I really am not qualified to offer much in the way of constructive advice) I'm excited to see this coming along!

Cheers! :D

Much appreciated! (No, really!) :)

I have a bit of a gap as I'm now about 2 months ahead of where I'm 'meant' to be in terms of my courses, so I'll probably rattle through the 5th page this week at some point.
Xandarien
Rider of the Mark

Postby zynphull » Sat Feb 09, 2013 3:32 pm

I hope I'm not bringing a thread from the grave here (it is on the first page, anyway) but I just had to say: WOW, this is breathtaking. I really hope you can continue this until the end :)

Also, on the criticisms, I firmly believe Tolkien would be proud to see what people such as yourself have been able to achieve with the little we've seen of his work.

Bravo!
zynphull
Petitioner to the Council

Postby Isildilmë » Sun Feb 10, 2013 5:46 am

Of course you are not bringing it from the grave, as the last post was 5 days before ! Xand is currently working on this, and I'll transcribe the whole thing in Tengwar after. We are all very enthousiast !

Isildilmë
Devoted to the Sheen

Postby Xandarien » Sun Feb 10, 2013 9:48 am

zynphull wrote:I hope I'm not bringing a thread from the grave here (it is on the first page, anyway) but I just had to say: WOW, this is breathtaking. I really hope you can continue this until the end :)

Also, on the criticisms, I firmly believe Tolkien would be proud to see what people such as yourself have been able to achieve with the little we've seen of his work.

Bravo!

Thank you, I fully intend to.

Speaking of which, the fifth page is up :).
Xandarien
Rider of the Mark

Postby Xandarien » Mon Feb 25, 2013 3:53 am

Added most of the 6th page to the first post \o/.

At this rate my book will be published before this is finished lol, this is remaining firmly down the bottom of the list of things to do.
Xandarien
Rider of the Mark

Postby Isildilmë » Mon Feb 25, 2013 1:13 pm

:shock:

*admiring silence*

Isildilmë
Devoted to the Sheen

PreviousNext

Return to Language