Official TENGWAR Transcription Thread (and TATTOOS) - V

Tolkien's worlds were birthed out of his love of language and his work at creating new ones. Enter into discussions surrounding Tolkien's languages.

Re: Official TENGWAR Transcription Thread (and TATTOOS) - V

Postby !ISAIAH! » Wed May 20, 2015 2:04 am

Hello Isildilmë. It's been more than five years when I first asked you to translate the name of my son into tengwar. The tattoo has been in my arms ever since. four years ago I had a daughter and you kindly translated her name also. Last week my gave birth to a beautiful baby girl and I am in need of a favour again. I don't know how to thank you but I would be honored if you could translate her name into tengwar also. Take your time. Thank you so much in advance. :)

Here's the name:

Leliana Lilja Sarlotta Salonen
!ISAIAH!
Ringbearer

Postby LauraLúthien » Wed May 20, 2015 12:27 pm

Hi Isildilmë. :)

I have just recently given birth to a gorgeous baby boy named Lindon (after Lindon in Middle Earth!) I know you're super busy and I fully understand how hard it is looking after a little one, but I was wondering when it is possible if you could transcript his name for me so I can get it tattooed on me.

Lindon (English) in Tengwar Annatar italic bold.

Many thanks! :D
LauraLúthien
Petitioner to the Council

Postby elvish15 » Fri May 22, 2015 3:26 pm

Hiya sorry for the late reply

Could it be in Tengwar annatar (r)

also if not too much trouble could i see it in Tengwar formal (r) please?

thanks

also to save you searching again it was

We became like insects in our own sight, so we were in theirs.
elvish15

Postby wgd05260 » Fri May 22, 2015 10:11 pm

Hi Isildilme!

I wanted to ask from you to kindly please give me transcripts of the following in English:
1) Uncanny

2) janet 04-10-15
janet 41015
Janet 41015

Font and Styles are
tengwar annatar - R and RB
tengwar quenya - R and RB
tengwar sindarin- R and RB

Thank you in advance!
wgd05260

Postby Peppermint » Sat May 23, 2015 11:26 am

Hey :)

I'm searching for a transcription for the following words for a Tattoo! It would be awesome if you'd have an idea how to transcrip these words: New Zealand (english), Aotearoa (english) and Neuseeland (German / dutch) .

I would Love to See These words in the Font TA - I, TC - R and TC - I

Thank you in advance, I'm looking forward to hear from you :)
Peppermint

Postby Malus » Mon Jun 01, 2015 1:18 pm

Hi isildilme
I would be very greatful to you if you could translate a date for me it's the date I started going out with my wonderful girlfriend
it's the 29/07/2013 in English I don't know the correct way to write the slashes for a date in tengwar
could you please change it into tengwar annatar (R) and tengwar sindarin (r) and (i) please
look forward to hearing from you :D
Malus

Postby Almatolmen » Mon Jun 01, 2015 8:17 pm

Malus, Isildilmë doesn't translate, she transcribes.
Almatolmen
Mariner

Postby Malus » Tue Jun 02, 2015 12:45 am

That is what I meant sorry :)
Malus

Postby Almatolmen » Tue Jun 02, 2015 9:09 am

No problem, Malus. This is an issue that is addressed here often.

It doesn't apply in your request, but there are times when it causes real confusion and some time and effort to get it straightened out.

So, it's become general practice to correct the terminology whenever an error is made, even when it's a minor one as with you.
Almatolmen
Mariner

Postby Malus » Tue Jun 02, 2015 9:38 am

Thank you, I was a little worried when I first found this forum I was too late
As it was dated 2012, I am guessing people are still transcribing on here,
I will be very grateful to see the result of the transcription
Malus

Postby Chenlie » Thu Jun 04, 2015 4:28 am

Hello again, I hope that all is well with you and your family!! :love:
I have an additional request to the names I asked for (Vincent and Arwen). Can I also ask for these dates if you have the time please? 28 July 2014 and 24 September 2011 ( or all numerical if that is easier.). Same font. I hope that is ok? If you don't have the time I will be happy with just the names thanks so much x
Chenlie

Postby Lothario » Sun Jun 07, 2015 9:04 am

No really touching story, I'm just trying to keep my sister from getting nonsense on her skin. So I was wondering if you could transcribe "Gin gorin pe drauthathon len gerithon acharn am len." I'd be very grateful and she will be too, if she appreciates my diligence ha.
Lothario

Postby Isildilmë » Tue Jun 09, 2015 5:27 pm

I am so terribly sorry everyone. I normally try to answer to everyone and do the transcriptions as quickly as possible, but someone made me realise that I am actually 2 months late... I have to say that I lived some difficult events lately... and I kind of felt like if I felt from a boat in a warm sea with a life jacket... I knew that I would survive from this, but how long would it take before I get out of the water and stop receiving huge waves directly in the face, this was a mystery. I feel like I'm now out of the water, but still totally soaked. End of the comparision. All of this to try to explain that I had to work hard and use all of my energy just trying to do "regular stuff", everyday tasks and so, so I couldn't take extra time to work on transcriptions. I will try my best to put things right.

I have some transcriptions ready to post, so I start with this. After I'll check the new requests to see if they are complete, and then I should have some remaining time tonight to transcribe some of them.

Let's start !
Concerning the Official Tengwar Transcription Thread - VI
To all the newbees, Welcome to TORC !
Before posting anything on this thread, READ THE INTRODUCTION. For now, I didn't have the time to update the intro, so I let you read the intro of thread #IV here.

If you have any questions, feel free to ask in the threads or by email (isildilme@hotmail.com - write "Tengwar" somewhere in the subject in case you fall in my junkmail, because if I don't know, I wont open the message !). Note that I don't accept transcription requests by email, you have to post them here !

You can address yourself to me in French, Spanish or English as you wish.

Special message : I have now two precious sons. They are my priorities, and an additional explanation for the delays in my answers. I WILL answer you... but you might have to wait. Thank you for your comprehension.
Isildilmë
Devoted to the Sheen

Postby Isildilmë » Tue Jun 09, 2015 5:49 pm

For Eloquentia :
Before posting anything on this thread, READ THE INTRODUCTION. For now, I didn't have the time to update the intro, so I let you read the intro of thread #IV here.

If you have any questions, feel free to ask in the threads or by email (isildilme@hotmail.com - write "Tengwar" somewhere in the subject in case you fall in my junkmail, because if I don't know, I wont open the message !). Note that I don't accept transcription requests by email, you have to post them here !

Special message : I have now two precious sons. They are my priorities, and an additional explanation for the delays in my answers. I WILL answer you... but you might have to wait. Thank you for your comprehension.
Isildilmë
Devoted to the Sheen

Postby Isildilmë » Tue Jun 09, 2015 5:50 pm

For Nicnacs :
Image Click on the image for regular size

Isildilmë
Devoted to the Sheen

Postby Isildilmë » Tue Jun 09, 2015 5:50 pm

For JessicaJI93 :

Isildilmë
Devoted to the Sheen

Postby Isildilmë » Tue Jun 09, 2015 5:51 pm

For bancho100 : I wasn’t sure about the exact fonts you wanted when I read your post again, so I did the 4 versions of TA (regular, italic, regular bold and italic bold) :

Isildilmë
Devoted to the Sheen

Postby Isildilmë » Tue Jun 09, 2015 5:51 pm

For Nina :

Isildilmë
Devoted to the Sheen

Postby Isildilmë » Tue Jun 09, 2015 5:52 pm

For barbara.coelho :
Image Image
Image Image

Isildilmë
Devoted to the Sheen

Postby Isildilmë » Tue Jun 09, 2015 7:17 pm

So here are my comments concerning the most recent posts :

fitluk1093 : ok !

alottaroses : I send you my last questions on your email, because we started a discussion there :)

!ISAIAH! : Hi ! welcome back ! It’s always a pleasure to see requesters coming back, and even more with such great news : congratulations ! Did you ever send me pictures of your tattoos ? I have to admit that I don’t know by heart who did ;) It will be a pleasure to transcribe her name, but I have a little question concerning “Lilja” : I guess that the “j” is pronounced like a “y”. Do you want me to write it respecting how you decided to spell it, so with a “j”, or as a “y” ? Both choices are good and a matter of personal decision :)

LauraLúthien : Another baby ! Wonderful :) Congratulations to you too ! It will be a pleasure.

elvish15 : it’s perfect :) and perfect timing, as it will be your turn !

wgd05260 : no problem ! I prefer to warn you that numbers are written backward in elvish, when compared to how we write them, so ten is written 01. Just for your info.

Peppermint : no problem !

Chenlie : perfect. I will propose you a few punctuation… because I’m not aware that we have examples of Elvish written dates using our Christian calendar ;) So I mostly use the equivalent of semi-colon, dash, comma…

Lothario : “no really touching story”… well, there is at least the story of a brother (if you are a man, if not let say I said sister) trying to protect his sister… touching enough I’d say ! You didn’t precise a language (I have the feeling that it’s Sindarin), nor the font you’d like to have (take a few minute to look at the introduction with your sister using the link from my signature, and come back to give me these details).

It took me more time than I thought to organise the requests and I'm exhausted, so I'll go to sleep, but I'll try to come back with a few requests soon.

Isildilmë
Devoted to the Sheen

Postby Almatolmen » Tue Jun 09, 2015 8:30 pm

!ISAIAH!, I see that your last name is Finnish (many Finns around here), so I assume Lilja comes from that language. When I checked it out on Google, I saw that there's a Swedish TV series called Lilja-4. An inspiration?

What does Lilya mean?
[ 2 syll. li-lya, lil-ya ] The baby girl name Lilya is pronounced as LIY-LYah- †. Lilya is of Latin origin and it is used mainly in Finnish. Lilya is a variant of Lilian (English, French, and German). Lilja (Scandinavian).

Lilya is uncommon as a baby name for girls. It is not listed within the top 1000 names.
Almatolmen
Mariner

Postby !ISAIAH! » Wed Jun 10, 2015 12:04 am

Hey Isildilme and Almatolmen.

Wow... it's really hard to explain the pronounciation to you but I'll try my best. Lilja is the flower lily in english and it is a fairly common name here in Finland. Lilja 4ever is a tv show here and I think I watched some years ago but it was nothing special.

Anyhoo... The finnish pronounciation is difficult to explain. The letter "j" is soft and short. There is no "z" in it. Lilya with an english pronounciation is pretty close. :)

Isildilme, thank you for you efforts, especially if have gone through a rough patch. I know something about rough patches since my first wife died some years ago. I've learned to live with it and accept it. That being said I know there is one thing I learned from that situation, there is always something good even in bad things. I feel I am a bit stronger now and definitely more down to earth. I know I live in the now and not in the past etc. All the best to you. Take care and thank you. :)
!ISAIAH!
Ringbearer

Postby bancho100 » Wed Jun 10, 2015 5:40 am

Isildilmë wrote:For bancho100 : I wasn’t sure about the exact fonts you wanted when I read your post again, so I did the 4 versions of TA (regular, italic, regular bold and italic bold) :

Thank you so much it's perfect ! :D Also thanks for different font versions it helps a lot :)
bancho100

Postby Isildilmë » Thu Jun 11, 2015 11:31 am

!ISAIAH! wrote:Anyhoo... The finnish pronounciation is difficult to explain. The letter "j" is soft and short. There is no "z" in it. Lilya with an english pronounciation is pretty close. :)

Oh I get it ! "lj" is a palatalized "l", like what Tolkien expressed with "ly" in Quenya (that, as we know, is in part inspired by Finnish :) ). So I will represent it that way. Anyway in my English transcription mode, the symbol used for palatalization in Quenya is not used at all, so I will borrow it to express this "j", and there would be no confusion about it that way, in my opinion. If that is ok with you.

Isildilmë
Devoted to the Sheen

Postby Almatolmen » Thu Jun 11, 2015 12:34 pm

That was the reason that I looked up Lilja. I thought that was a possibility and thought you should consider it.
Almatolmen
Mariner

Postby Isildilmë » Thu Jun 11, 2015 6:51 pm

A good idea Alma :)

For rpsantos :

Isildilmë
Devoted to the Sheen

Postby Isildilmë » Thu Jun 11, 2015 6:52 pm

For elvish15 :

Isildilmë
Devoted to the Sheen

Postby Isildilmë » Thu Jun 11, 2015 6:53 pm

For Isaac Dale :

Isildilmë
Devoted to the Sheen

Postby Isildilmë » Thu Jun 11, 2015 6:53 pm

For Hos :

Isildilmë
Devoted to the Sheen

Postby Isildilmë » Thu Jun 11, 2015 6:54 pm

For Chenlie :
Image Image
Image Image

Isildilmë
Devoted to the Sheen

PreviousNext

Return to Language