Official TENGWAR Transcription Thread (and TATTOOS) - V

Tolkien's worlds were birthed out of his love of language and his work at creating new ones. Enter into discussions surrounding Tolkien's languages.

Re: Official TENGWAR Transcription Thread (and TATTOOS) - V

Postby Isildilmë » Thu Jun 11, 2015 6:58 pm

enough for now ! good night everybody :)
Concerning the Official Tengwar Transcription Thread - VI
To all the newbees, Welcome to TORC !
Before posting anything on this thread, READ THE INTRODUCTION. For now, I didn't have the time to update the intro, so I let you read the intro of thread #IV here.

If you have any questions, feel free to ask in the threads or by email (isildilme@hotmail.com - write "Tengwar" somewhere in the subject in case you fall in my junkmail, because if I don't know, I wont open the message !). Note that I don't accept transcription requests by email, you have to post them here !

You can address yourself to me in French, Spanish or English as you wish.

Special message : I have now two precious sons. They are my priorities, and an additional explanation for the delays in my answers. I WILL answer you... but you might have to wait. Thank you for your comprehension.
Isildilmë
Devoted to the Sheen

Postby kdickson12 » Thu Jun 11, 2015 9:08 pm

Hello Isildilme,

Could you please translate this following quote into Tengwar annatar italic and Tengwar Qenya?

Cilmelva erinqua ná ita carilvë i lúmessë i men antaina ná.

Thank you so much!
Kdickson12
kdickson12
Petitioner to the Council

Postby !ISAIAH! » Fri Jun 12, 2015 2:39 am

Isildilme. Yes I think you are right. Just go ahead and transcribe. :)
!ISAIAH!
Ringbearer

Postby Xandarien » Fri Jun 12, 2015 2:29 pm

Isildilmë wrote:I am so terribly sorry everyone. I normally try to answer to everyone and do the transcriptions as quickly as possible, but someone made me realise that I am actually 2 months late... I have to say that I lived some difficult events lately... and I kind of felt like if I felt from a boat in a warm sea with a life jacket... I knew that I would survive from this, but how long would it take before I get out of the water and stop receiving huge waves directly in the face, this was a mystery. I feel like I'm now out of the water, but still totally soaked. End of the comparision. All of this to try to explain that I had to work hard and use all of my energy just trying to do "regular stuff", everyday tasks and so, so I couldn't take extra time to work on transcriptions. I will try my best to put things right.

I have some transcriptions ready to post, so I start with this. After I'll check the new requests to see if they are complete, and then I should have some remaining time tonight to transcribe some of them.

Let's start !

*sneaks in and huggles Isildilmë* I hope you'll be okay :grouphug:
Xandarien
Rider of the Mark

Postby Malus » Fri Jun 12, 2015 3:01 pm

Hi isildilme

Just checking you saw my request on the last page sorry
Don't mean to sound rude or anything just you responded to everyone else
If you have sorry ignoring me I'm just excited to see the date transcribed :)
Hope your doing well
Malus

Postby Miss_Piggy » Fri Jun 12, 2015 6:40 pm

Isildilme!!

So happy that 5 years later you are still helping the fans all over the world to transcribe correctly!

I do hope you are okay though now (just read your post above)

Five years ago you did me a great service and i wish to ask for your help once again, only if you are feeling up to it though, and there is no rush as it is much more important that you are back to your fine and dandy self first.

When you have time, can you please transcribe the following into Tengwar;

1.vérë vórima

2.Heer [Heer is to be transcribed as though the 'ee' rhymes with 'see', with a rolling r. im not sure if this makes a difference in the transcribed letters?]

Thank you lovely!
Miss_Piggy
Citizen of Imladris

Postby Almatolmen » Fri Jun 12, 2015 8:14 pm

I just asked whether you were coming here on Gladhaniel's thread!

I was curious about Heer. I found this information:

English: heer (plural heers)

A yarn measure of six hundred yards, or 1/24 of a spindle. :lol:

Dutch: heer m (plural heren, diminutive heertje n)

1. lord; master
2. gentleman

From Middle Dutch here, from Old Dutch hērro, hēro, from Old High German hēriro, hērro, the comparative form of hēr (“noble, venerable”) (German hehr), by analogy with Latin senior (“elder”). The Old High German word originally meant "grey, grey-haired", and descends from Proto-Germanic *hairaz (“grey”), making it cognate with English hoar, Old Norse hárr.

Heer Name Meaning Frisian: from the Germanic personal name Hero, a short form of compound names with the first element hari, heri ‘army’, as, for instance, Hermann.North German and Dutch: equivalent of Herr.

In Local: ഹീര; હીર; హీర; ಹೀರ; ਹੀਰ; হীর; हीर; ஹீர

Name Heer generally means Diamond, is of Indian origin, Name Heer is a Unisex name, which means both Boys and Girls can have this name. This name is shared across persons, who are either Jain or Hindu by religion. Name Heer belongs to rashi Kark (Cancer) with dominant planet Moon (Chandra) and Nakshatra (stars) Pushyami.

Pushya (Tamil: பூசம்) is a nakshatra in Indian astronomy. Some texts give its name as Tishya meaning to look. It corresponds to γ, δ and θ Cancri, in the Cancer (constellation). The Hindu god Bharata, brother of Rama was born under this Nakshatra. It is also mentioned in the story of the Birth of Buddha.

The eighth of the 27 Nakshatras is Pushya, which spans from 3°20′ to 16°40′ in Cancer/Karkata in the Sidereal Zodiac. Pushya, पुष्या, is a type of plant, but it also means pure and auspicious. It’s main symbol is the flower, representing the potential to blossom and grow, expressing that which is within to the outside world. Two other symbols are the arrow and the circle. The arrow represents drive and direction, and the circle represents seeing life in its entirety and experiencing the fullness of life.

Pushya’s ruling deity is Brihaspati, also known as Jupiter or Guru, the teacher and advisor to the gods and men. Brihaspati is expansive; however, Pushya’s ruling planet is Saturn, which brings restrictions and slows thing down. This tug-of-war between growth and stabilizing and between expansion and contraction represents the duality, the contrasts, of life on this planet. We are here to learn and grow, but some restriction is necessary for knowledge to take root and for wisdom to cultivate.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-cvkWe8ccUyc/Tnog_7S3xdI/AAAAAAAADh4/8fydFE6uKtw/s320/Figure4.gif

https://diasp.org/uploads/images/scaled_full_e6c5234b82a31bd91cbc.jpg

I hope you and Heer found this interesting and entertaining.
Almatolmen
Mariner

Postby Almatolmen » Fri Jun 12, 2015 8:16 pm

I just asked whether you were coming here on Gladhaniel's thread!

I was curious about Heer. I found this information:

English: heer (plural heers)

A yarn measure of six hundred yards, or 1/24 of a spindle. :lol:

Dutch: heer m (plural heren, diminutive heertje n)

1. lord; master
2. gentleman

From Middle Dutch here, from Old Dutch hērro, hēro, from Old High German hēriro, hērro, the comparative form of hēr (“noble, venerable”) (German hehr), by analogy with Latin senior (“elder”). The Old High German word originally meant "grey, grey-haired", and descends from Proto-Germanic *hairaz (“grey”), making it cognate with English hoar, Old Norse hárr.

Heer Name Meaning Frisian: from the Germanic personal name Hero, a short form of compound names with the first element hari, heri ‘army’, as, for instance, Hermann.North German and Dutch: equivalent of Herr.

In Local: ഹീര; હીર; హీర; ಹೀರ; ਹੀਰ; হীর; हीर; ஹீர

Name Heer generally means Diamond, is of Indian origin, Name Heer is a Unisex name, which means both Boys and Girls can have this name. This name is shared across persons, who are either Jain or Hindu by religion. Name Heer belongs to rashi Kark (Cancer) with dominant planet Moon (Chandra) and Nakshatra (stars) Pushyami.

Pushya (Tamil: பூசம்) is a nakshatra in Indian astronomy. Some texts give its name as Tishya meaning to look. It corresponds to γ, δ and θ Cancri, in the Cancer (constellation). The Hindu god Bharata, brother of Rama was born under this Nakshatra. It is also mentioned in the story of the Birth of Buddha.

The eighth of the 27 Nakshatras is Pushya, which spans from 3°20′ to 16°40′ in Cancer/Karkata in the Sidereal Zodiac. Pushya, पुष्या, is a type of plant, but it also means pure and auspicious. It’s main symbol is the flower, representing the potential to blossom and grow, expressing that which is within to the outside world. Two other symbols are the arrow and the circle. The arrow represents drive and direction, and the circle represents seeing life in its entirety and experiencing the fullness of life.

Pushya’s ruling deity is Brihaspati, also known as Jupiter or Guru, the teacher and advisor to the gods and men. Brihaspati is expansive; however, Pushya’s ruling planet is Saturn, which brings restrictions and slows thing down. This tug-of-war between growth and stabilizing and between expansion and contraction represents the duality, the contrasts, of life on this planet. We are here to learn and grow, but some restriction is necessary for knowledge to take root and for wisdom to cultivate.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-cvkWe8ccUyc/Tnog_7S3xdI/AAAAAAAADh4/8fydFE6uKtw/s320/Figure4.gif

[img]pushyami%20astronomy[/img]

I hope you and Heer found this interesting and entertaining.
Almatolmen
Mariner

Postby niczero » Sat Jun 13, 2015 12:13 am

Hi! Please, please, please transcribe this into Tengwar Annatar (R) and Tengwar Cursive (R) from two different languages:

English = "You have only one real Love in your Life"
German= "Es gibt nur eine wahre Liebe im Leben"

Many Thanks.

BR NicZero
niczero

Postby Isildilmë » Mon Jun 15, 2015 12:31 pm

no problem with the new requests, except for Heer (Miss_Piggy) : I read Alma's text and I just want you to confirm the language you want it to be treated as.... I can also do it purely phonetically, if that is your wish. Because when I transcribe English, I write it as it's written in English (except if it's asked another way), so "ee" is not a long pure "i" (as its sound) but a mere double "e", assuming that the reader knows how to pronunce, as we know it with roman letters (I hope this is clear, it's clear in my mind but I feel like I cannot express myself clearly today !). But I can write it h-ii-r (with a rolling R) if that is your wish.

Malus, don't worry, of course I saw your post, but as Alma answered you about transcription/translation and that I had nothing to add, I said nothing. You are on my list, but there are many requests posted before yours, you'll have to be patient :)

Xand, thanks :) I'll be ok, my heart is curing
Before posting anything on this thread, READ THE INTRODUCTION. For now, I didn't have the time to update the intro, so I let you read the intro of thread #IV here.

If you have any questions, feel free to ask in the threads or by email (isildilme@hotmail.com - write "Tengwar" somewhere in the subject in case you fall in my junkmail, because if I don't know, I wont open the message !). Note that I don't accept transcription requests by email, you have to post them here !

Special message : I have now two precious sons. They are my priorities, and an additional explanation for the delays in my answers. I WILL answer you... but you might have to wait. Thank you for your comprehension.
Isildilmë
Devoted to the Sheen

Postby Almatolmen » Mon Jun 15, 2015 12:44 pm

Isildilmë, you might wish to listen to the a Dutch pronunciation of Heer. The MP3 file is at the bottom of this link:

http://www.forvo.com/word/heer/

Dutch

Pronunciation
Rhymes: -eːr
Almatolmen
Mariner

Postby Isaac Dale » Tue Jun 16, 2015 8:10 am

Cheers, Isildilmë. It looks brilliant. Greatly appreciated.
Isaac Dale

Postby Kortoso » Wed Jun 17, 2015 12:14 pm

Can I ask for help transcribing this phrase?

Flame Light! Flee Night!

Lacho calad! Drego morn!

Here is what I have come up with, but I have no idea if it's correct:

My humble gratitude!
Kortoso

Postby jediracer » Wed Jun 17, 2015 2:13 pm

Isildilmë wrote:For jediracer :

Image Click on the image for regular size

Image Click on the image for regular size

THANK YOU SO MUCH!!! 8)
jediracer

Postby Almatolmen » Wed Jun 17, 2015 2:18 pm

Kortorso, have you double-checked the phrase with Xandarian? Morn, for example, is not a noun, but an adjective. morn [myrn] adj. dark, black

depart, die vb. gwanna-; night, darkness, gloom, dead of night name, fuin [fuin], night, darkness, nightfall, dusk name dû [dui], night, gloom name maur [moer]?

And I'm not sure exactly what you're trying to express by Flame, light! Burn, flame? burn vb. dosta-, kindle vb. nartha-; flame, fire, sun name naur [noer], flame, glittering light, brilliance name rill [rill], flame, leaping flame name lach [laich]. Or light, light (bright), sunlight, brilliance, radiance, glittering reflection name galad [gelaid]? fire, flame, sun name naur [noer], fire, heat name ûr [uir]? Or lamp name calar [celair]?

For reasons of euphony, I like the grammatically correct version of gwanna- fuin (depart gloom) and nartha- naur (kindle fire).

Do you see why going to the Official Sindarin Translation Thread might be recommended?
Almatolmen
Mariner

Postby Almatolmen » Wed Jun 17, 2015 2:56 pm

Of course you know my surname. I saw these Sindarin words and thought it'd be cool to have them transcribed. Any font you want.

day, morning name aur [oer]

cave, vault, vaulted ceiling, hall with vaulted roof name rond [rynd]. Or randir [randir] name pilgrim, wanderer.
Almatolmen
Mariner

Postby Isildilmë » Thu Jun 18, 2015 9:36 am

Kortoso : Very nice attemp, and many things are good, but a few important concept are not applied in your transcription. If you have this as a text file, you can send it to me and I’ll send you back the correct transcription faster. Or I add you to my transcription list and when your turn comes I show you the correct transcription. And before everything, as Alma suggested, you should visit the Official Sindarin Translation Thread (in the Language forum) and ask Xandarien if the translation is right.

Isildilmë
Devoted to the Sheen

Postby Isildilmë » Thu Jun 18, 2015 9:46 am

And Alma, thank you, it was very enlightening... but in this case, I think that "Heer" is a familly name, so the pronunciation might not be the same... as Miss Piggy said it rhymes with "see"...

Isildilmë
Devoted to the Sheen

Postby Xandarien » Thu Jun 18, 2015 1:19 pm

No need - this is an attested phrase from The Children of Húrin :) (it means 'Flame light! Flee night!')
Xandarien
Rider of the Mark

Postby Almatolmen » Thu Jun 18, 2015 8:14 pm

Oh, alright. Thanks Xandarian!

I was pretty sure that there was some problems with the transcription and I wondered whether the translation might be flawed as well. I'm still unsure what to make of "Flame light!" It still seems an odd way to write something. :?

But it's difficult to question the source, isn't it? Unless I want to assert that I know better than JRRT. But I'm not quite that foolish! :oops: :nono: :doh: :blush:
Almatolmen
Mariner

Postby AlyxPayne » Sat Jun 20, 2015 6:11 am

Hello Isildilme,
You transcribed a quote for me for a tattoo two years ago (Ever seeking kindness and ever finding cruelty), and i was wondering if you could do another one for me when you have the time? I'm in no big rush so feel free to put more urgent works ahead of this as I know you're very busy as it is.

The phrase I would like transcribed:

'No good deed goes unpunished'

And if possible i would like it to match the font of the transcription you did for me two years ago. which i believe was Tengwar Annatar Italic Bold (I have pasted a link to it below incase I'm wrong about the font)

http://s1192.photobucket.com/user/Isildilme/media/Everseekingkindnessandeverfindingcruelty.png.html

Thank you for reading :)

Alyx
AlyxPayne

Postby candenizli4 » Wed Jun 24, 2015 11:23 am

heey Isildilme how 're u? ıt's me againn :D could you please transcribe the following into English Tengwar Annatar Italic and Tengwar Annatar italic + bold ?

-the road from earth to the stars is not easy
candenizli4

Postby wgd05260 » Wed Jun 24, 2015 6:07 pm

Isildilmë wrote:So here are my comments concerning the most recent posts :

fitluk1093 : ok !

alottaroses : I send you my last questions on your email, because we started a discussion there :)

!ISAIAH! : Hi ! welcome back ! It’s always a pleasure to see requesters coming back, and even more with such great news : congratulations ! Did you ever send me pictures of your tattoos ? I have to admit that I don’t know by heart who did ;) It will be a pleasure to transcribe her name, but I have a little question concerning “Lilja” : I guess that the “j” is pronounced like a “y”. Do you want me to write it respecting how you decided to spell it, so with a “j”, or as a “y” ? Both choices are good and a matter of personal decision :)

LauraLúthien : Another baby ! Wonderful :) Congratulations to you too ! It will be a pleasure.

elvish15 : it’s perfect :) and perfect timing, as it will be your turn !

wgd05260 : no problem ! I prefer to warn you that numbers are written backward in elvish, when compared to how we write them, so ten is written 01. Just for your info.

Peppermint : no problem !

Chenlie : perfect. I will propose you a few punctuation… because I’m not aware that we have examples of Elvish written dates using our Christian calendar ;) So I mostly use the equivalent of semi-colon, dash, comma…

Lothario : “no really touching story”… well, there is at least the story of a brother (if you are a man, if not let say I said sister) trying to protect his sister… touching enough I’d say ! You didn’t precise a language (I have the feeling that it’s Sindarin), nor the font you’d like to have (take a few minute to look at the introduction with your sister using the link from my signature, and come back to give me these details).

It took me more time than I thought to organise the requests and I'm exhausted, so I'll go to sleep, but I'll try to come back with a few requests soon.

Hi Isildilme!

Just transcribe my request as it is. Million thanks for this! I hope all is well in your life. Whatever challenges may come your way know that the big guy up there is there to help and guide you.
wgd05260

Postby UnequivocalGrace » Fri Jun 26, 2015 7:52 am

Hello, Isildilme! :)

First, let me say that I am so impressed that you have continued supporting this forum for the past five years -- you have such talent and it's amazing that you share your abilities with us! Thank you so much for all you do!

If I may, I'd like to commission a phrase from you?
It would be in English, Tengwar Italic.

"Grace means that all of your mistakes now serve a purpose instead of serving shame."

Again, thank you so much for all you do. Let me know if there's anything else you need.
UnequivocalGrace

Postby Mariad03 » Sat Jun 27, 2015 9:24 am

Hi,

can anyone help me translate "Three" from English.. i have tried to translate it myself.. and have used about 4 other translation tools and they all come up with the same thing.. i just want to know if it is correct before i go and get it tattooed. :? :?

would appreciate any help

Thanx,

Maria :) :)
Mariad03

Postby Kimberry » Wed Jul 01, 2015 4:06 am

Hello Isildilme! :)

I first want to say that it is so impressing how long you have been continuing to help people with transcriptions! :) I know you probably have a lot to do and I really don't want to annoy you! I just wanted to ask for my request I posted 4 months ago because I won't be home for a longer time from next week and I'd need it before I go... This is just a gentle question, if you don't have time of course I'd accept that and I'd appreciate your efforts! But at least I wanted to ask for it because I think you did all the transcriptions before mine so it wouldn't even be unfair to the others :). And if you don't have enough time: The first is much more important! Then just leave the second! I really hope my renewed request is okay and you don't take offence at it. :)

Addition: I really don't want to sound unpolitely or rude with this post, I hope you don't misunderstand! :) And also I want to add that I read you had a few problems to deal with in the last months and I really hope everything is fine again and you feel good about everything happening now. :)

Thank you very much for all the time you are spending!

Many Greetings! ♥
Last edited by Kimberry on Fri Jul 03, 2015 3:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kimberry

Postby Lothario » Wed Jul 01, 2015 10:53 am

"No really touching story" guy

Okay, I apologize. Haha I saw the directions and glossed over them apparently. I am a man by the way :-) ...ignore the coincidence.

But I would like "Gin gorin pe drauthathon gin gerithon acharn am len" (Sindarin), transcribed into TS: I+B.

I am not sure how punctuation works, so feel free to add it if it's needed.

Thank you again (I think I covered everything(?))!
Lothario

Postby Daefaroth » Thu Jul 02, 2015 7:42 am

Isildime:

It is once again past due for this thread to be closed and a new thread started.

Please set up a new topic thread. When the last outstanding transcription requests are done here, I will lock this thread.

Thank you.

Daefaroth
- - - - - Welcome to TORC - - - - -

- There are helpful Announcements at the top of most forums. Please read them.
- Need more help? Check the Adoption Forum.
- Premiere Membership helps support TORC.
Aspire not to rapid, large postcounts, for this only enhances the taste of a spammer,
when roasted with the Breath of Death and served with "Blair’s 16 Million Reserve" sauce.

Enjoy your visits. Remember to mind your manners.

Daefaroth *at* theonering -dot- com -OR- moderators *at* theonering -dot- com
Daefaroth
The Shadow Hunter

Postby kzinff » Thu Jul 02, 2015 12:41 pm

Hello good people of theonering.com,isildilme can please help me, im from Brazil i will make a tattoo of my grandmothers and grandfathers names; i like the tengwar annatar italic or normal if u please help me? thank you thank you!! my language is portuguese, dont need to be perfect, just what you think is better, i really trust you! btw you are an amazing person to do all this for others. :) :)
the names:
Deluvina
Armindo
Luis Carlos
Myrtes
kzinff

Postby Raw2015 » Mon Jul 06, 2015 5:54 am

Hi I would like to have the following word in TA-I and TA-I+B

Lionheart
Löwenherz (German, but same word)
Rávenda
Rávórë
Rávindo
The 3 above mean lionheart too in quenya

I am in Miami at the moment for 4 more days and would love to get it done at Miami ink, but I respect that you cannot prioritize because of that. Thanks in advance.
Raw2015

PreviousNext

Return to Language