Official TENGWAR Transcription Thread (and TATTOOS) - V

Tolkien's worlds were birthed out of his love of language and his work at creating new ones. Enter into discussions surrounding Tolkien's languages.

Re: Official TENGWAR Transcription Thread (and TATTOOS) - V

Postby Almatolmen » Wed Jan 14, 2015 3:34 pm

Kasey2493, please read the introduction to IV (this is V). This tells you all the information that Isildilmë needs to complete your request expeditiously.
Almatolmen
Mariner

Postby Isildilmë » Thu Jan 15, 2015 8:38 am

pfffff, it just took me over an hour to read all the requests and write this. Be sure you check if I have questions for you, because if you don't answer, I wont do your transcription !

Choupette : thank you, and I wish you the same ! I’ll be happy to see the result :)

chasetbrooks : no problem !

althiron : perfect ! And it’s not that long ! You should see some requests I had ;)

fpombal : one question : with “TE”, do you mean “Tengwar Eldamar” or “Tengwar Elfica” ?

jediracer : thank you, and no problem for your request !

MontyPopcorn : A few people told me the same as you did, that they had been watching for a while without joining :) I’m happy you did, and it will be a pleasure to help with your tattoo project !

Kasu : the image you found it good, but only in one of the fonts you want, so I’ll do a transcription with all of them. I think I have all I need, but keep watching the thread because when your turn will come, some questions about the German names might rise.

Aranduriel : you forgot to tell me about the font(s) you want. See the link to the introduction in my signature.

Soulforged25 : About the transcriptions you posted, they are not as you wish. Both of them are in English, not Sindarin. The first one is good even if slightly different from what I use to write, and the second is not that good. But as you told you want Sindarin transcriptions in Tengwar, both are wrong. You should first visit the Official Sindarin transcription thread (in the Language forum) to ask what is the translation in Sindarin, and then come back here to ask me for a transcription of these sentences. I more than probably have done them before, but as I don’t speak Sindarin I don’t remember what sentence correspond. And tell me what font(s) you want. The list of fonts and explanations are in the introduction of the thread (link in my signature).

Borealis : no problem !

joekeland : thank you for your comment :) and for obviously reading the introduction ! Don’t worry for the two fonts, it’s not a problem (when some people, *like Alma, not to mention anybody !* ask for “all the fonts”, then it’s a bit more complicated !). Your request is very clear, I don’t remember if I have already a transcription mode for Norwegian… I’ll check that, but if I don’t, I could do the transcription of the name as if it was an English name… would you see an objection ? is it read a bit like if it was in English ?

Scarlett : nice to meet you too ! your request is complete and perfect.

v1p3r : thank you, and I wish you the same :) no problem with your request, and yes the font correspond (or very close) to the Ring’s font.

Jo861128 / Alma : close the thread ? I hope not ! that would mean my life would be even more complicated then it is actually… O_O
We can always count on Alma to get everything more complicated that it could have been… ! (I’m saying this laughing and smiling my friend, as you can imagine ;) because all of this is in fact very interesting even if it leads us to other subjects !).

About the double consonant, it’s a basic rule of Tengwar, you know :) so thank you, but as you said, nothing new for me ! Personally, even for mm and nn, I put it under, because above it’s for “preceeding nasal”, and to me mm and nn are not m and n preceeded by nasal, but double consonant. But I know Tolkien approved both ways. And thank you for the new expression, in French we don’t say that, but “On n’apprend pas à un vieux singe à faire la grimace” = “we don’t teach an old monkey to do faces”.

About numbers, I always transcribe them “backwards”, even if now I don’t explain it each time. So when somebody asks for 2014, I write 4102 in Tengwar. But I don’t always offer to change it to duodecimal because not everybody understand these matters… I think that in my next introduction I’ll mention it so that people can opt for this (more usefull if their quotes are in Sindarin or Quenya, to keep everything in Elvish – in these cases I use to offer the duodecimal option).

So, just to be sure I noted everything good, the transcription requests are :
In Quenya :
    ennona
    atanóna
    Viressë 19, 2014
    Viressë 17, 11BA
    17 Viressë 11BA
In English :
April 11, 2014

All of these in fonts TA-R; TC- R; TEca- R.
And the numbers will all be backwards, as it’s the normal use in Tengwar.

BonitaNeal777 : these were not the same requests as last time Bonita :) but I’ll do these new ones, and post the older transcriptions at the same time. But follow the thread this time ;). One question : last time you asked for Tengwar Annatar italic, but this time you don’t mention a font. Is it the same ?

MariaDS : As Alma said, it’s a language matter. I think that the two first names you mention are Sindarin, others, Quenya. If you have questions about translation, you have to ask in the translation threads of these languages. I handle just the transcription part. And for the fonts, they are all presented in my introduction, that you should read before you do anything (see the link in my signature). The most popular font (my own tattoo is in this one), is Tengwar Annatar Italic (TA-I). So think of this, ask all the questions you have and then I’ll do the transcription. You can decide to ask for both a Sindarin and Quenya names, or a few ones. There is no problem.

Kidogo : there is nothing better as a first tattoo then a LOTR one ;) but I might be biased ! :D no problem with your request.
Concerning the Official Tengwar Transcription Thread - VI
To all the newbees, Welcome to TORC !
Before posting anything on this thread, READ THE INTRODUCTION. For now, I didn't have the time to update the intro, so I let you read the intro of thread #IV here.

If you have any questions, feel free to ask in the threads or by email (isildilme@hotmail.com - write "Tengwar" somewhere in the subject in case you fall in my junkmail, because if I don't know, I wont open the message !). Note that I don't accept transcription requests by email, you have to post them here !

You can address yourself to me in French, Spanish or English as you wish.

Special message : I have now two precious sons. They are my priorities, and an additional explanation for the delays in my answers. I WILL answer you... but you might have to wait. Thank you for your comprehension.
Isildilmë
Devoted to the Sheen

Postby joekeland » Thu Jan 15, 2015 10:01 am

Isildilmë wrote:pfffff, it just took me over an hour to read all the requests and write this. Be sure you check if I have questions for you, because if you don't answer, I wont do your transcription !

joekeland : thank you for your comment :) and for obviously reading the introduction ! Don’t worry for the two fonts, it’s not a problem (when some people, *like Alma, not to mention anybody !* ask for “all the fonts”, then it’s a bit more complicated !). Your request is very clear, I don’t remember if I have already a transcription mode for Norwegian… I’ll check that, but if I don’t, I could do the transcription of the name as if it was an English name… would you see an objection ? is it read a bit like if it was in English ?

Hi!

It's just a word. The literal translation is reader/reading so the translation to English name might not actually be possible. But, if it does not work we could always just go for 'reader' in English! (to make it clear: it is not actually a name, just a word)
joekeland
Petitioner to the Council

Postby Almatolmen » Thu Jan 15, 2015 2:52 pm

I live to be annoying! :thppt:

Hey, I just asked for all fonts once! :club:
Almatolmen
Mariner

Postby Jo861128 » Thu Jan 15, 2015 11:13 pm

So, just to be sure I noted everything good, the transcription requests are :
In Quenya :
ennona
atanóna
Viressë 19, 2014
Viressë 17, 11BA
17 Viressë 11BA
In English :
April 11, 2014

All of these in fonts TA-R; TC- R; TEca- R.
And the numbers will all be backwards, as it’s the normal use in Tengwar.

yeap~~ thank you so much Isildilmë!! :mightysquid:
Jo861128

Postby fpombal » Sun Jan 18, 2015 4:13 pm

Hello Isildilmë,

I mean “Tengwar Eldamar”.

Thanks in advance.

Fpombal
fpombal

Postby Almatolmen » Sun Jan 18, 2015 11:36 pm

I thought I'd give you a heads-up that you might be getting a slew of requests for this transcribed into Cirth, so you might get ahead of the possible rush and do it now in preparation.

From Battle of the Five Armies.

My Love.

Amrâlimê:

“amrâl” – means “love”. It used the abstract construction aCCâC as seen in the Tolkien original khuzdul words such as “aglâb”. The radicals in amrâl, MRL are faintly reminiscent of the Quenya “melmë” (love) and “mírima” (very lovely), and of the Sindarin “meleth” (love), while also hinting at the latin “amorem” (love).

“im” – Updated: based on a screenshot from the video Appendices for DoS, provided by one of the readers of this blog (thank you Maite), it seems clear this is a genitive marker, indicating “of”. So, likely not a female indicator as previously assumed.

“ê” – is the first person possessive pronoun “my”, also use for “me”.

Putting all of this together we get “love-of-me”.
Almatolmen
Mariner

Postby BonitaNeal777 » Mon Jan 19, 2015 4:45 pm

yes i want them the same thanks for asking i forgot to put it :) which ones did i ask for last time? i know i added Aiden cause we found out we are having a son! he is due in two months!
BonitaNeal777

Postby CPrice91 » Mon Jan 19, 2015 5:47 pm

Hi again Isildilmë! Thank you again for all the lovely transcriptions - four of them have been incorporated into tattoos thus far!

After typing the below out I realize I'm essentially wondering if you could transcribe the below phrase in any font (unless the picture is right) - but I'm also looking to understand why it's written that way! :D

So, anyhow:
I just wanted figure out the correct writing for "elen síla lúmenn' omentielvo"?

for example:

My chief concerns were
1. the long u on lúmenn' - I've seen it simply put on the l before, but I thought the long vowels always stood alone?
2. the apostrophe on lúmenn' - does it need to be denoted in writing somehow?
3. The writing of "omentielvo" completely confuses me. I assume this is because I have not read up on Quenya pronunciation rules? I would've figured it would be spelled like this:

In any case, best wishes!
CPrice91

Postby Cosmicelfvampyress » Tue Jan 20, 2015 6:54 pm

Hi Isildilme,

Your thread is great, and I'm happy I found it!

Would like to have transcriptions of the 3 English names, with font Tengwar Sindarin (TS) in (R) Regular:

Sonja Natasha York
Cosmic Vampyress
Ethereal Vampyress

Thank you so much!
Cosmicelfvampyress
Cosmicelfvampyress

Postby bship » Thu Jan 22, 2015 9:20 pm

Hey Isildilme,
I would love if you could transcribe 3 English quotes for me in TA-I and TA-I+B.

I find your lack of faith disturbing
The force is strong with this one
Fear is the path to the dark side

Thank you so much and I can't wait to see it!!
bship

Postby XenolithicYardZone » Sun Jan 25, 2015 7:40 am

First off to the OP/translator Isildilmë - brilliant work man. Dunno how reliable online translators are and this thread was the only one I came across that was helping out with elvish tattoos. Top notch.

Alrite here's my request for help. Actually what I need help with is picking one option instead of translating. I am Liverpool supporter and I'd like the club anthem "You'll never walk alone" tattooed on my arm. I already have 2 options to pick from. Here they are :

First one I got off google images but its an exact match to a translation done on one of your previous threads. http://forums.theonering.com/viewtopic.php?p=3688501

But here's the one I got off an online translator :

Now as you can see they are nearly identical apart from the first word and the stroke in the last word being at the bottom in the first pic as opposed to being on the top like in the second one.

So is the first word in the second pic (online translated one) wrong or just a slight variation like a different dialect or something? Or is it just "You will"? Cause I get something else when I type "you will" in the translator instead of "you'll". Here's a link to the site - http://www.jenshansen.com/pages/online-english-to-elvish-engraving-translator

For some reason I like the longer word in the second pic slightly more ( silly me but hey ) but will only get it done if its a 100% accurate or its the first one/this site's translation. Its not like I can rub it off if I run into an elvish expert in the future and get mocked for screwing up big time eh? :D

Many thanks.
XenolithicYardZone

Postby Almatolmen » Sun Jan 25, 2015 1:54 pm

Just a note XYZ. It's a transcription, not a translation. Je t'aime is translated as I love you. But both could be transcribed into Tengwar.
Almatolmen
Mariner

Postby Isildilmë » Mon Jan 26, 2015 11:01 am

Almatolmen : that’s a good idea, but I’ll keep these Cirth transcriptions for later as I’m late in current requets !

BonitaNeal777 : last time you asked for “Cody Neal” and “You Alone Hold The Key To My Heart” In Tengwar Annatar in italic

CPrice91 : I’m always happy to see that some people are trying to understand what is written, not just taking everything for cash ;) So following your question numbers :
1. the long u on lúmenn' : long “u” can be written 2 ways : a “u” on the long carrier as in your image, or double “u” on the “l”
2. the apostrophe on lúmenn' : I read that in some places Tolkien wrote no symbols, but it seems that he used to write a middle-dot (like the comma dot, but just beside the “nn”, with no space between the two, while when it’s a comma we put a space). I would prefer to put the dot. Another option would be to write “lúmenna”, as the apostrophe is replacing a “a”, but I’m not sure an Elve would do that.
3. The writing of "omentielvo" : the image is write :) You have to use a table for the Quenya mode. In Quenya, for example, “nt” is so common that it as it’s own tengwa. So your version is not totally incomplete writing “n + t”, but in Quenya we shouldn’t do that. The Quenya “v” is also spelled a different way than in English, so that is why the ending is different. And in your attempt, you forgot the “e” :)
So in short, the image you show (in 3 fonts) is correct, though I would add a dot for the apostrophe, and I would center the tehtar (like the “a” of “síla”), but that last point is purely aesthetic !

Cosmicelfvampyress : perfect !

bship : perfect too !

XenolithicYardZone : as I explain in my introduction, there are many ways to write with Tengwar, so many transcriptions can be good. In this case, my transcription would be almost exactly as the first you post (the link to a previous thread was before I arrived here), but the second tengwa would be different. But this transcription is still good if we use other transcription modes than mine. The second transcription, on another side, isn’t. The “y” they used is not what we should use for English writtings, and they added tengwar where it wasn’t appropriate (like if I was doubling the “u” in “you’ll”…).

Here is what I posted for another people with the same request a little while ago :
Click here for the image
I didn’t put the little embellishments on the “l”s like in your pic, but they don’t affect the meaning, so if you like them you can keep them.
Before posting anything on this thread, READ THE INTRODUCTION. For now, I didn't have the time to update the intro, so I let you read the intro of thread #IV here.

If you have any questions, feel free to ask in the threads or by email (isildilme@hotmail.com - write "Tengwar" somewhere in the subject in case you fall in my junkmail, because if I don't know, I wont open the message !). Note that I don't accept transcription requests by email, you have to post them here !

Special message : I have now two precious sons. They are my priorities, and an additional explanation for the delays in my answers. I WILL answer you... but you might have to wait. Thank you for your comprehension.
Isildilmë
Devoted to the Sheen

Postby pandagum » Mon Jan 26, 2015 9:21 pm

Hi!

I have a transcription check / general question. I'm trying to transcribe Strider's riddle, specifically the second half. But I'm unsure about the line "Calad uin dúath thuiatha"

Is the accent over the u in duath denoting a long u sound, so I'd be right to use the long vowel holder? (Just noticed that's an o! Oops.)

Also, what is the exact way to do multiple vowels? Are they read bottom-to-top or top-to-bottom, and is there a max on how many you can cram onto a single consonant? The 3 vowels on thuiatha is looking really crowded.

Sorry - I literally just created an account to ask this. I feel a little ridiculous. It's probably already answered somewhere.
Thank you all for doing this, I've used this forum as a reference for years :)
pandagum

Postby Isildilmë » Tue Jan 27, 2015 6:50 am

pandagum wrote:Hi!

I have a transcription check / general question. I'm trying to transcribe Strider's riddle, specifically the second half. But I'm unsure about the line "Calad uin dúath thuiatha"

Perfect, it changes me from my usual requests !

pandagum wrote:Is the accent over the u in duath denoting a long u sound, so I'd be right to use the long vowel holder? (Just noticed that's an o! Oops.)

Yes, and yes... and yes, it's a "o" in your transcription ! but the concept is good if you change it for a "u" :)

pandagum wrote:Also, what is the exact way to do multiple vowels? Are they read bottom-to-top or top-to-bottom, and is there a max on how many you can cram onto a single consonant? The 3 vowels on thuiatha is looking really crowded.

In some transcription modes, we can indeed put some vowels under, but in the case of Sindarin, it shouldn't be done. In fact, there is a special tengwa for "following-i" as in thuiatha, and then we put the "a" on the following tengwa.

pandagum wrote:Sorry - I literally just created an account to ask this. I feel a little ridiculous. It's probably already answered somewhere.

You shouldn't ! I don't see why you feel ridiculous. And no, I have not been asked for such notions here until now. Most people just ask for a transcription having no idea of how Tengwar works, and are not interested in learning !

pandagum wrote:Thank you all for doing this, I've used this forum as a reference for years :)

Wow, it's an honor to be considered this way :)

If you are working your transcirption in a file, like in Word, I suggest you email me and send me the file. I could show you my suggestions and explanations directly in the file and send it back to you.

Isildilmë
Devoted to the Sheen

Postby Isildilmë » Tue Jan 27, 2015 7:30 am

For Maggotlady :

Image Click on the image for regular size

Isildilmë
Devoted to the Sheen

Postby Isildilmë » Tue Jan 27, 2015 7:30 am

For candenizli4 :

I offer you two punctuation choices for your date.

Isildilmë
Devoted to the Sheen

Postby Isildilmë » Tue Jan 27, 2015 7:31 am

For terezka_krat :

I changes the first dot for a question mark to fit with the others.

Isildilmë
Devoted to the Sheen

For ck.145 :

Isildilmë
Devoted to the Sheen

For chasetbrooks :

Isildilmë
Devoted to the Sheen

Postby Isildilmë » Tue Jan 27, 2015 7:32 am

For althiron :

Isildilmë
Devoted to the Sheen

Postby terezka_krat » Tue Jan 27, 2015 10:24 am

Wow, thank you so much Isildilmë! I have visited this thread every day since I posted my request and looking for your answer - I couldn´t wait to see it :) It looks gorgeous and it will be very difficult to choose just one option for my tattoo. So once again - thanks for everything you do for Tolkien fans ;)
terezka_krat

Postby candenizli4 » Tue Jan 27, 2015 5:52 pm

thank you so much.İt is just like I dreamed. I have some translate ideas in my mind. If ı write them here, can you translate them for me? :D
candenizli4

Postby Isildilmë » Wed Jan 28, 2015 6:23 am

I'm happy you both like them and were patient enough ! And candenizli, if you have other transcriptions, it will be a pleasure !

Isildilmë
Devoted to the Sheen

Postby bionic_gandalf » Wed Jan 28, 2015 12:38 pm

Hello guys! :)

My name is Mark, and for a long time now I have been thinking about making a tattoo in elvish, but I really don't want to mess it up, so I came here for people who know their Tolkien very much. :)

I really want to have the word "FIGHTER" tattood in Tengwar Annatar Regular, based on a Christina Aguilera song.

Can you help me with that? I would really appreaciate your help.

Have a nice day everyone! :)
bionic_gandalf

Postby Maggotlady » Wed Jan 28, 2015 1:53 pm

Thank you they're wonderful!
Maggotlady

Postby ck.145 » Wed Jan 28, 2015 10:00 pm

This could not have come at a more perfect time. Thank you so much for your work! I think it's brilliant that you do this and could not be more appreciative.
ck.145

Postby althiron » Thu Jan 29, 2015 7:45 am

Thank you so so much!! It's amazing :)
althiron

Postby XenolithicYardZone » Thu Jan 29, 2015 8:03 pm

Isildilmë wrote:
XenolithicYardZone : as I explain in my introduction, there are many ways to write with Tengwar, so many transcriptions can be good. In this case, my transcription would be almost exactly as the first you post (the link to a previous thread was before I arrived here), but the second tengwa would be different. But this transcription is still good if we use other transcription modes than mine. The second transcription, on another side, isn’t. The “y” they used is not what we should use for English writtings, and they added tengwar where it wasn’t appropriate (like if I was doubling the “u” in “you’ll”…).

Here is what I posted for another people with the same request a little while ago :
Click here for the image
I didn’t put the little embellishments on the “l”s like in your pic, but they don’t affect the meaning, so if you like them you can keep them.[/color]

Hey man thanks a lot...sorry didn't reply sooner as I away and completely forgot that I had posted here :P

So the first one's all good and proper but the second pic's wrong on both ends? I am slightly confused by the bit in bold - by the second tengwa, you mean the second pic?? But then in your following statement you say its still good and in the sentence that follows you say the second transcription on another side isnt? I am kinda lost man....if you could kindly elaborate a bit more...say like you were explaining something to a child? :D

Yes I can see your transcription is exactly like the first pic I posted and if the embellishments don't make any difference like you say, then the first one's most definitely the way to go. Also if you don't mind, are there a couple cool fonts you can change it into so I have a few of options? Like the ones in your replies below my first post. Would be brilliant if you could.

Anyhoo thanks again for your help. Truly impressive and selfless work helping me and the other clueless ones. :)

Almatolmen wrote:Just a note XYZ. It's a transcription, not a translation. Je t'aime is translated as I love you. But both could be transcribed into Tengwar.

Yup yup my bad...appreciate you bringing it to my attention. Tengwar's like a font or something correct?
XenolithicYardZone

PreviousNext

Return to Language