Official TENGWAR Transcription Thread (and TATTOOS) - V

Tolkien's worlds were birthed out of his love of language and his work at creating new ones. Enter into discussions surrounding Tolkien's languages.

Re: Official TENGWAR Transcription Thread (and TATTOOS) - V

Postby CPrice91 » Fri Jan 30, 2015 5:59 pm

And I'm back again! :P

I was wondering if you could let me know how incorrect this attempt at transcribing "empathy above all" was?

(P.S. I know that second consonant marker on "all" is off - just not sure how to center it on the Word program :/)

and what to do to fix it? (or if you just want to transcribe it yourself, that would be awesome!)

Best and thanks again!
CPrice91
Petitioner to the Council

Postby kdickson12 » Sun Feb 01, 2015 10:08 am

Hello Isildeme,

I just had the following quotes translated into Quenya:

-Nai nauvas cálë tyen mornë nómessen írë ilyë i exë calar pustuvar urya.

-Qui lelyas háyalda undu tana tië, lelyuvas ténavë tana minassenna.

Can you put these is Tengwar Annatar (normal and italic if possible) and Tengwar Quenya? I also have a question. What is the difference between the two. Why is one Annatar and one Quenya. Is there any specific reasoning behind it or is it really just a different font?

Thank you so much!!
K.dickson12
kdickson12

Mobile App for Transcription

Postby sigmarho » Thu Feb 12, 2015 1:26 am

Hi All,

Here is an Android App we have developed, transcribes from English, German and Russian (Cyrillic) sounds to Elvish alphabet.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... shalphabet

The aim is, especially for English, to spot the right sound corresponding to each Elvish letter. So each letter is explained with a word (like "c" in "cross" and "ch" in "beach") to give a sense of the sound

For German and Russian versions, things are more straight forward as spelling rules are closer to that of Elvish. For these languages, non-existent sounds are explained using English words.

Best,
Sigma Rho Team
sigmarho

Postby Isildilmë » Thu Feb 12, 2015 6:16 am

bionic_gandalf : no problem, I have all I need !

XenolithicYardZone : ok, so let’s make this clear. 1st pic : correct, but slightely different as mine (the second letter is different, even if you didn’t see it), because there are many ways to use Tengwar. 2nd pic : wrong. :)
Tengwar is a script, a letter system to write anything… it’s like our Roman alphabet : we can write Chinese with it if we want, or any language. Same for Tengwar.
For the fonts, I’ll ask you to visit the introduction thread (link in my signature) and to officially choose a few fonts, and I’ll do the transcription. And tell me if you want it to be applied on my transcription, as I showed you, or the first that YOU posted (as one letter is different).
Was it clear enough this time ? Sorry if it wasn’t the first time. English is not my language, so it might be linked with that.

CPrice91 : For this kind of request, you can email me directly with the Word file, so I’ll show you what to do. You are not obliged to post here :) There are a few corrections to do in your transcription, and there is a key for the double-L.

kdickson12 : no problem, and the font’s names are just font’s names… Annatar was the name Sauron took when he lived with the Elves and created the Ring, and Tengwar Annatar italic is made to represent the Ring’s inscription, so that might explain why they gave it this name. But there is no obligation to choose a font or another. I’ll do your transcription in all the fonts you asked.

sigmarho : interesting ! I wish I could test it, but I have no Android device. Until then, I cannot recommend it to TORc fellows, because for now I never saw an automatic transcriber able to transcribe ANY English (or other) words without corrections, as the description claims. But good luck with your app !

I'll try to post a few transcription today and/or tomorrow !
Concerning the Official Tengwar Transcription Thread - VI
To all the newbees, Welcome to TORC !
Before posting anything on this thread, READ THE INTRODUCTION. For now, I didn't have the time to update the intro, so I let you read the intro of thread #IV here.

If you have any questions, feel free to ask in the threads or by email (isildilme@hotmail.com - write "Tengwar" somewhere in the subject in case you fall in my junkmail, because if I don't know, I wont open the message !). Note that I don't accept transcription requests by email, you have to post them here !

You can address yourself to me in French, Spanish or English as you wish.

Special message : I have now two precious sons. They are my priorities, and an additional explanation for the delays in my answers. I WILL answer you... but you might have to wait. Thank you for your comprehension.
Isildilmë
Devoted to the Sheen

Postby Isildilmë » Thu Feb 12, 2015 9:26 am

For fpombal :

Before posting anything on this thread, READ THE INTRODUCTION. For now, I didn't have the time to update the intro, so I let you read the intro of thread #IV here.

If you have any questions, feel free to ask in the threads or by email (isildilme@hotmail.com - write "Tengwar" somewhere in the subject in case you fall in my junkmail, because if I don't know, I wont open the message !). Note that I don't accept transcription requests by email, you have to post them here !

Special message : I have now two precious sons. They are my priorities, and an additional explanation for the delays in my answers. I WILL answer you... but you might have to wait. Thank you for your comprehension.
Isildilmë
Devoted to the Sheen

Postby Isildilmë » Thu Feb 12, 2015 9:27 am

For jediracer :

Image Click on the image for regular size

Isildilmë
Devoted to the Sheen

Postby Isildilmë » Thu Feb 12, 2015 9:32 am

For MontyPopcorn :

Isildilmë
Devoted to the Sheen

Postby Isildilmë » Thu Feb 12, 2015 9:33 am

For Kasu :

And the names (click on them for regular size) :

Image Image Image

Image Image

I assumed that the final “e” of “Leonie” is silent. If it isn’t, I’ll have to correct the transcription, just tell me.
And I offered two versions of "Helga", as there are two "h" proposed in the German mode... the "h" of the option on the left is more often used, in almost every language, for "h" and even more for "h" at the beginning of words, but on the right it is more suitable to carry a symbol above. Your choice !

Isildilmë
Devoted to the Sheen

Postby Isildilmë » Thu Feb 12, 2015 9:36 am

For Borealis :

Isildilmë
Devoted to the Sheen

For joekeland : What I did is this : I transcribed “leser” as if it was an English word, as I proposed earlier. This word doesn’t exist in English written that way, but I used the English mode (code) : “L-ES-ER”. I’m pretty confident with the result. Anybody reading Tengwar will read “leser” even if they don’t know what it means. But as you proposed to write directly the English word, I did it too.

Image Image

Isildilmë
Devoted to the Sheen

For Scarlett :

Isildilmë
Devoted to the Sheen

Postby Isildilmë » Thu Feb 12, 2015 9:37 am

For v1p3r :

Isildilmë
Devoted to the Sheen

Postby Isildilmë » Thu Feb 12, 2015 9:43 am

Aranduriel and Soulforged25, you would have been answered in this batch, but as I had no news from you after I asked you a question, I guess you never came back, so your requests are on a hold.

ok for today ! If I can post other transcriptions tomorrow, I'll do it... if I didn't forget to copy anything, here is the list of the remaining requesters :

Jo861128
    BonitaNeal777
    MariaDS
    Kidogo
    Almatolmen (cirth)
    Cosmicelfvampyress
    bship
    bionic_gandalf
    kdickson12

I'm really determined to get up to date with the requests, I'll try to clear the list quickly. You stay on my mind folks !

Isildilmë
Devoted to the Sheen

Postby candenizli4 » Sun Feb 22, 2015 2:15 pm

hi It's me Again :D

Could you please transcribe the following into English Tengwar Annatar Italic and Tengwar Annatar italic + bold ?

-Don't follow me, I'm lost too.
-Dead men tell no tales
-How do you know the heart beats beneath your chest?

Thank you so much! :o :o
candenizli4

Postby Altarielle » Mon Feb 23, 2015 7:42 am

Hello everybody.
I would love to get my next tattoo in Tengwar Annatar Italic Bold.
I already tried to transcribe „Heaven can wait“ into Tengwar. You can find my attempt under the following link:

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/571535008936829824/

Can you tell me if my transcription is right?

Thank you so much.
Please forgive my bad englisch.

Nice greetings from Germany :)
Altarielle

Postby Isildilmë » Mon Feb 23, 2015 5:43 pm

candenizli, no problem

Altarielle, I can see the work and effort behind your attempt, but there are some rules to follow that you don't seem to be aware of. I'll show you how I would write your sentence.

Isildilmë
Devoted to the Sheen

Postby atyarwen » Tue Feb 24, 2015 4:15 pm

Hello again!!!!!
here I am with another request:
"And i will love with urgency but not with haste"

it's for a friend, who will do some engagement rings.

If you could do it in "annatar", please.

Thanks a lot!
atyarwen

Postby jamestaylorx » Wed Feb 25, 2015 4:22 pm

Hello,

Sorry I am brand new to this and not entirely sure what I am doing.

I am getting a tattoo and I would like the scene where Tauriel is speaking to Thandruil translating so I can add this as lettering under Tauriel holding her loved one in her arms.

"Why does it hurt so much"
"Because it was real"

Can somebody possibly translate this for me into TA - I & B and email it to me or reply or something?

My email address is
Jamesmatthewtaylor@live.co.uk - if this helps.

Thank you very much in advance, I appreciate it.

Great webpage.
jamestaylorx

Postby Aredhel Ar-Feiniel » Wed Feb 25, 2015 7:53 pm

Hi there Isildilmë! Could you please help me transcribe the following names into TS & TEca for me? They are all Sindarin names. :)

Aredhel Ar-Feiniel
Thranduil
Haldir

Thank you!

3/04 edit:
I hope this is alright but I'd like to add the following Sindarin phrase as well! Also in TS & TEca:
Elleth alfirin edhelhael

If not, I will request it later instead. :)
Last edited by Aredhel Ar-Feiniel on Wed Mar 04, 2015 7:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Aredhel Ar-Feiniel
Citizen of Imladris

Postby Jo861128 » Wed Feb 25, 2015 11:39 pm

Isildilmë wrote:Aranduriel and Soulforged25, you would have been answered in this batch, but as I had no news from you after I asked you a question, I guess you never came back, so your requests are on a hold.

ok for today ! If I can post other transcriptions tomorrow, I'll do it... if I didn't forget to copy anything, here is the list of the remaining requesters :

Jo861128
    BonitaNeal777
    MariaDS
    Kidogo
    Almatolmen (cirth)
    Cosmicelfvampyress
    bship
    bionic_gandalf
    kdickson12

I'm really determined to get up to date with the requests, I'll try to clear the list quickly. You stay on my mind folks !

Thanks so much~! take your time, my tattoo appointment will be in April hehe~
Jo861128

Postby Isildilmë » Wed Mar 04, 2015 8:52 am

atyarwen : ok ! you don’t precise the form of Tengwar Annatar you want, so I’ll do regular and italic, in case.

jamestaylorx : don’t worry, almost everybody here is new and I can tell that many don’t have any idea of what they are talking about. At least you read the introduction, and that is more than what many people do ! I’ll sure post the result here, and I’ll try to remember to send it directly too :). I just have a question : do you want to keep the quotation marks ? or to have the two lines transcribed separately without quotation mark ? or whatever other option ?

Aredhel Ar-Feiniel : perfect.

Isildilmë
Devoted to the Sheen

Postby jamestaylorx » Wed Mar 04, 2015 9:43 am

jamestaylorx : don’t worry, almost everybody here is new and I can tell that many don’t have any idea of what they are talking about. At least you read the introduction, and that is more than what many people do ! I’ll sure post the result here, and I’ll try to remember to send it directly too :). I just have a question : do you want to keep the quotation marks ? or to have the two lines transcribed separately without quotation mark ? or whatever other option ?

I would like them transcribing as in script so tauriels lines on top and then underneath. And without the quotation marks please. Thank I appreciate that.
jamestaylorx

Postby Isildilmë » Wed Mar 04, 2015 9:58 am

it's perfecly clear to me ! :)

Isildilmë
Devoted to the Sheen

Postby Altarielle » Fri Mar 06, 2015 8:38 am

Hello again

here is my second attempt of the transcription from HEAVEN CAN WAIT
I hope I sixed my mistakes from my previous try.
Furthermore I tried to transcribe following names:
Ute
Jonas
Hanna
Ralf Marius
I would appreciate if you cut correct my transcriptions.

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/or ... 940a41.jpg
https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/or ... eca5e1.jpg
https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/or ... 4a344d.jpg

Thank you and have a nice weekend :)
Altarielle

Referred here for help with translation

Postby ransackery » Sun Mar 08, 2015 8:53 pm

Greetings! User Galadivren from Council of Elrond forum referred me to check with his friend Isildilme at this address. I just joined the forum here, so please excuse if I have mistakenly skipped over any etiquette by jumping right in. :-)

TL/DR version, I am looking for a proper inscription for the "ring" for my girlfriend. Here is the conversation with Galadivren and what we have come up with so far. I appreciate any help. Many thanks.

---begin cut/paste:---

ransackery on: March 05, 2015 03:07
Greetings! Gondolinian pointed me this direction for possible help. There is a long-standing gag between my girlfriend and I with Rick Rolling. She actually planted the song in the middle of a sentimental Valentine's mix (well played, indeed). Now, I want to have the phrase "Never gonna give you up." engraved in "the" ring. She is a huge LotR fan so I thought it would be really awesome to put it in Elvish. Perhaps the first Elvish Rick Roll? I was going to just use a font treatment, but the more I thought about it, I thought... go all the way. However... I am at a loss. If anyone can help, many thanks. p.s. Hush hush!!!

Galadivren on: March 05, 2015 03:50
I think it would be much better if you just got that phrase transcribed directly into Tengwar rather than translating it - you'd lose some of the meaning.

ransackery on: March 05, 2015 04:41
Thought about it; just English letters/words/grammar in Tengwar script. I thought maybe actually translating might be more realistic, whereas just using the script feels like a font change. Perhaps I am thinking of it wrong. I figured the phrase is common enough in universal meaning "I am never going to give you up" quite basically, that it might not be a harsh translate. I'm definitely not a linguistics expert, and especially not Elvish. Just food for thought. Anyone?

Galadivren on: March 06, 2015 03:51
Well if I were to translate it into Sindarin it would be along the lines of:
Gin ú-chebithon = I will not retain you
Gin ú-leithiathon = I will not release you
'Give up' is a phrase that's not easily translatable, not least because it has more than one meaning! The phrasal verb 'give up' is literally 'to surrender, admit defeat', but that's not entirely what Rick Astley is singing about.

ransackery on: March 06, 2015 08:07
Very good point. I appreciate the translation AND the observation! What do you think about "Never going to say goodbye" which is essentially another way of saying "Never going to give you up" and a part of the song too. It moves more into the realm of what the meaning truly is.

Galadivren on: March 06, 2015 08:58
I'll give you two versions of this in case one isn't quite right:
ú-bedithon novaer = I will not say goodbye
ú-ui bedo novaer = Do not ever say goodbye

ransackery on: March 06, 2015 10:08
It seems like if one were to truly try and convey the intent/meaning from English tongue to Elvish that "I will not say goodbye" is the most accurate. Thoughts? I think I'm almost there. Thinking of taking "ú-bedithon novaer" as typed above for "I will not say goodbye" and running it through this translator:
http://www.jenshansen.com/pages/online- ... translator
Would that be correct?

Galadivren on: March 06, 2015 02:05
Some of the automatic transcribers will give you a decent result, but they can never be 100% accurate. I haven't personally studied Tengwar, so if this is for a ring as important as this, I'd suggest you ask my friend Isildilme over at this thread and ask her to check it for you: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=104703&start=2400
She's very busy, and may take a little while to reply, but it would be worth it to know that it was correct!

---end cut/paste---
ransackery

Postby nkg1210 » Sun Mar 08, 2015 11:23 pm

I'm looking into getting my first tattoo and I have done some research on a quote that I would like to get. I would love if someone who is experienced in Tolkien's language to verify that this translation is correct. It's supposed to say "The road goes ever on and on" in the English mode of Tengwar (Tengwar Annatar Italic). http://s739.photobucket.com/user/l7388/media/tengwar/the-road-annatar-italic-bold.png.html

Thanks in advance. I'd hate to get a tattoo that was not accurate as I'm a huge Tolkien nerd.
nkg1210

Postby slowly » Mon Mar 09, 2015 6:16 am

Hello,

As you can see i'm new and I hope I don't make a mistake asking for your help here.
Isildilmë, your work is very impressive, I had a look to a good part of your translations before posting.

I'm thinking about my first tattoo with one of the following quotes :

English :
- There's no certainty, only opportunity
- Write your story by my side
- Never give up

Can somebody translate the three quotes in TEca-R & I, TA-I+B & TA-I, with quotation marks ?

Sorry about my english, I'm a little frenchie. :)
Thanks for your time and your help.

Best regards,
Slowly
slowly

Postby Isildilmë » Tue Mar 10, 2015 12:15 pm

I'm still there everybody ! I have a crazy week, with a few new things in my "real life work" lol... so forgive me for being so long, I'll really try to answer your questions this week along with a few transcriptions. Those who have transcriptions to check/correct, if you have them as Word/text files and you can send them to my email (see my sig), it would be even better, for I can write directly in the files and send them back to you instead of doing them all again from the start :)

Isildilmë
Devoted to the Sheen

Postby nkg1210 » Tue Mar 10, 2015 10:13 pm

Just posting a reply here to notify you, Isildilme, that I just sent you the Word document with the corresponding transcription data. Let me know if you need anything else and take your time with the response as personal life comes first. I greatly appreciate it.
nkg1210

Postby Isildilmë » Fri Mar 13, 2015 8:48 am

nkg1210 : was answered by email

Ransackery : I answered to your email, but the rest will be posted here (of course if you email me, I’ll answer too !)

Slowly : si tu es un “little Frenchie”, faut pas te gêner ! Mais tu veux tout de même des transcriptions de phrases en anglais ? Comme tu veux ! Alors j’ajoute des guillemets au début et à la fin de chaque ligne ? Le reste est parfait, pas d’autres questions !

Altarielle : first image : good ! Second : oops, you lost the rule of “tehta over FOLLOWING tengwa” ! you got it right in the first image, but here it reads “Amerus”. Third : good, but be careful, the “v” of “heaven” could look like a “th” with a wave under, and this would make no sense. Be sure you connect the wave so it closes the letter and is part of it.

Isildilmë
Devoted to the Sheen

PreviousNext

Return to Language