Official TENGWAR Transcription Thread (and TATTOOS) - V

Tolkien's worlds were birthed out of his love of language and his work at creating new ones. Enter into discussions surrounding Tolkien's languages.

Re: Official TENGWAR Transcription Thread (and TATTOOS) - V

Postby Isildilmë » Sat Mar 28, 2015 5:41 am

Aredhel Ar-Feiniel : perfect transcription :)

CPrice : mmmm… of course we can do it but whether it’s correct is another subject… I tend to feel that it’s terrible to write profanities with such a beautiful script, but that might just be me. Some Tolkien scholars say that Elves also swear and have their own words for this, so they could as easily write them… in all the cases, I would prefer not to do it in this public thread. So email me. I think I have a Swedish mode.

rpsantos : I’m not sure I get all what you want… if I understand well, you want the Quenya names Envinyanta Erunen, Eru envinyatië, Lótë carnë, Condo and Cáno to be transcribed. Is there something else ? Do you also need a direct transcription of the original names (Raphael and Rayssa) ? From Portuguese I understood ? I can do both, I’m just unsure of what you wish.

evarist : I see that the two quotes are in French (my language, by the way), but how should I treat the name (I guess it’s a name ;)) ? As from it’s original language, or if you want me to treat it as French to fit the other transcriptions, for exemple, or another option ?

Eloquentia : you forgot to precise the language of the name… English ?
Concerning the Official Tengwar Transcription Thread - VI
To all the newbees, Welcome to TORC !
Before posting anything on this thread, READ THE INTRODUCTION. For now, I didn't have the time to update the intro, so I let you read the intro of thread #IV here.

If you have any questions, feel free to ask in the threads or by email (isildilme@hotmail.com - write "Tengwar" somewhere in the subject in case you fall in my junkmail, because if I don't know, I wont open the message !). Note that I don't accept transcription requests by email, you have to post them here !

You can address yourself to me in French, Spanish or English as you wish.

Special message : I have now two precious sons. They are my priorities, and an additional explanation for the delays in my answers. I WILL answer you... but you might have to wait. Thank you for your comprehension.
Isildilmë
Devoted to the Sheen

Postby macorso » Sat Mar 28, 2015 8:46 am

hello everyone! I have a doubt , I should get a tattoo with the phrase "all we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us"... I found online two different versions . Which one is the most correct ? :?

Thank you in advance for the help !
macorso
Petitioner to the Council

Postby Aredhel Ar-Feiniel » Sat Mar 28, 2015 9:09 pm

Isildilmë wrote:Aredhel Ar-Feiniel : perfect transcription :)

Thank you Isildilmë! :)
Aredhel Ar-Feiniel
Citizen of Imladris

Postby CPrice91 » Sun Mar 29, 2015 1:38 pm

Hehehe I won't bother you with it then Isildilmë. I will email you about the mode though!
CPrice91

Postby Altarielle » Mon Mar 30, 2015 3:22 am

Hello Isildilme,
was my email in your junkmail once again?
I'm desperate and I need your help!
Could you transcribe the following sentence, please .
"Heaven can wait "
"Live every day like it was the last "
"Hope"
"Love"
"Family"
I would like to gut everything in Tengwar Annatar Italic Bold

Tank you so much
Grettings from Germany
Altarielle
Altarielle

Postby Eloquentia » Mon Mar 30, 2015 11:02 am

Yes, English! Sorry! :) Thanks!!
Eloquentia

Postby Nólerandir » Mon Mar 30, 2015 2:40 pm

macorso wrote:hello everyone! I have a doubt , I should get a tattoo with the phrase "all we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us"... I found online two different versions . Which one is the most correct ? :?

Thank you in advance for the help !

The second one is how I would do it, except that it says "...given to us". The first one says "given us", but some of the details in the second one are better (specifically the tehta used in "we" and the use of hwesta sindarinwa for "wh").
Nólerandir

Postby Nólerandir » Mon Mar 30, 2015 3:05 pm

Altarielle wrote:Hello Isildilme,
was my email in your junkmail once again?
I'm desperate and I need your help!
Could you transcribe the following sentence, please .
"Heaven can wait "
"Live every day like it was the last "
"Hope"
"Love"
"Family"
I would like to gut everything in Tengwar Annatar Italic Bold

Tank you so much
Grettings from Germany
Altarielle

Hope I can be helpful without stepping on toes. FWIW, this is how I would transcribe your words and phrases:

Nólerandir

Postby Altarielle » Tue Mar 31, 2015 7:39 am

Hello Nólerandir,

Thank you so much for your help!!!! :lol:
Now I can make an appointment with my Tattoo-Studio.

Grettings from Germany
Altarielle
Altarielle

Postby Nicnacs » Wed Apr 01, 2015 7:15 am

Hello Isildilme,

Could you please translate this poem In TA-R?. It would mean the world to me.

If tears could build a stairway
and memories a lane
I would walk right up to Heaven
and bring you back again

Thanks a lot in advance
Nicnacs

Postby JessicaJI93 » Thu Apr 02, 2015 2:11 am

Hi there! Amazing work you're doing here!
I was wondering if I could please get two quotes transcribed into TA-I. Both the quotes are in Quenya but I'll include their English meanings if that helps (don't want the English versions transcribed though).

Quote to be transcribed:
Áva lala po coirië lóci.

English meaning: Don't laugh before living dragons.

Second quote to be transcribed:
Nai i súrë nu rámalyar coluva lye i nómenna yassë Anar círa ar Isil pata.

English meaning: May the wind under your wings bear you to the place in which the sun sails and the moon walks.

Thankyou so much in advance!! :D
JessicaJI93

Postby Isildilmë » Fri Apr 03, 2015 10:33 am

macorso : I was about to answer the same as Nólerandir. I would take the second one, but if you want the version “given us” instead of “given TO us” (both version exist), then remove the second word from the end (which looks like a “p” and a “i” with a loop on top).

Altarielle : I’m sorry, I’m starting new contracts (yeah, transcribing for free isn’t what helps me to buy food and pay the house ;) ), so I was very busy, that is why I didn’t answer. I’m happy you like Nólerandir’s transcription. Note that his transcription mode differs slightly from mine (that doesn’t mean his transcriptions are wrong, only that I’m not warrant of them), so the result differ a bit from what I would have written in some cases.

Nicnacs : perfect !

JessicaJI93 : wonderfuly complete, thanks !

Ok, so as I said in my comment for Altarielle, I’m sorry for not being there more often in the last days / week… new things in my professional life, and I have to manage this with the personal stuff ! But the good new is that when I’ll work where I should start to work half a day per week, there might be free time and I should then have time alone to work on your requests !
Before posting anything on this thread, READ THE INTRODUCTION. For now, I didn't have the time to update the intro, so I let you read the intro of thread #IV here.

If you have any questions, feel free to ask in the threads or by email (isildilme@hotmail.com - write "Tengwar" somewhere in the subject in case you fall in my junkmail, because if I don't know, I wont open the message !). Note that I don't accept transcription requests by email, you have to post them here !

Special message : I have now two precious sons. They are my priorities, and an additional explanation for the delays in my answers. I WILL answer you... but you might have to wait. Thank you for your comprehension.
Isildilmë
Devoted to the Sheen

Postby rpsantos » Sat Apr 04, 2015 10:50 pm

Dear Isildime

Sorry it took me so long to answer you. I kind of travel a lot in my work, so often I'm stuck without a computer. Anyway, you understood it correctly. If you could, I'd like both transcription. The names in Quenya (Envinyanta Erunen, Eru envinyatië, Lótë carnë, Condo and Cáno) and the names from portuguese ((Raphael and Rayssa). If you could help me, I'd like them in Tengwar Cursive and Tengwar Quenya. (both in italic + bold).

Thanks again for the help. I' think I'll be around my pc for next few days, so I try to come by more often in case you need anything from me again.
rpsantos
Citizen of Imladris

Postby evarist » Sun Apr 05, 2015 11:50 pm

Isildilmë wrote:

evarist : I see that the two quotes are in French (my language, by the way), but how should I treat the name (I guess it’s a name ;)) ? As from it’s original language, or if you want me to treat it as French to fit the other transcriptions, for exemple, or another option ?

Yeah, you are right :D , they are names, and it's in its orginal language, so you can keep it fixed. Thanks :)
evarist

Postby bancho100 » Tue Apr 07, 2015 1:34 pm

Hello, I'm new here and sorry if I posted in wrong thread...It's amazing how many transcriptions and translations you guys did, and I would like you to transcribe a Sindarin phrase "Balol ech i dûr roveleg" for me. Font can be Tengwar Annatar (l+B) or (l) ITALIC and normal (both versions so i can compare) , or any other that looks the most LOTR-elvish (sorry for my ignorance :D ).Thank you in advance :)

Also (i didn't have translation till now, so I have updated the post) I would like a transcription of " Cun(t)ië imlë i antúra melehtë ná " (same font, same parameters) :)
Last edited by bancho100 on Fri Apr 24, 2015 2:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.
bancho100

Postby Nina » Sun Apr 12, 2015 4:45 am

Hi Isildilmë,
I have a request for you,
I would like the following words transcribed in tengwar annatar, and if possible, in all four style options
ada
adar
mellon
If I am correct they mean dad/daddy, father and friend in sindarin
thank you!
ps: check your email for a longer explanation to my request :)
Nina

Postby EssZet » Mon Apr 13, 2015 3:41 am

Hi,

I have written some words with tengwar. Can you please check if they are correct?

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/101737994/tengwar.pdf

Thx.
Last edited by EssZet on Tue Apr 14, 2015 2:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
EssZet

Postby barbara.coelho » Mon Apr 13, 2015 5:22 am

Hello,
I made a request on the translation thread and now I have the results and would like them to be transcribed. Would you kindly transcribe these sentences, which were translated into quenya?
Isil cuivienyava
Anarinya ar eleni

Also, I'd like my boyfriend's and my name transcribed as well. He wanted them to be translated into quenya (he's a big fan of fantasy names and RPGs and stuff), but I explained to him that only the meaning behind the name gets translated (e.g.: my name is Bárbara, and it basically means foreign, so the translation would come from there) and his name is a form of another name and it is such a mess, I prefer if it would be just a transcription.
Anyway, our names are:
Barbara
Iuri Renato

I understand there is more than one mode, but I don't know much about them. My soon to be fiance likes the one in which the One Ring is written.
Thank you in advance.
barbara.coelho

Postby rpsantos » Mon Apr 13, 2015 9:08 pm

Dear Isildilme,

Hey there!! I know I already have a request, but I'd like to make another one. Aisdes from that one, could you do a transcription of these two sentences in Tengwar Cursive and Tengwar Quenya. (both in italic + bold):

Infinite dreams, I can't deny them. Infinity is hard to comprehend. (English)

Oialië olori, uanyë ista lalatat. Airë urda hanya ná. (Quenya)

PS: I read about a few modes for english (original, CJRT, Common), which one do you suggest?

Thanks again for everything. And I read the news about your son. Congrats!!! I hope everything is going good!!
rpsantos
Citizen of Imladris

Postby Isildilmë » Fri Apr 17, 2015 7:43 am

bancho100 : you forgot to tell the language of the last quote, but I guess it’s Quenya. No problem with the rest :)

Nina : I answered your email. And as I proposed in it, you can visit Xandarien in the Sindarin thread to confirm your translation before I transcribe the words. The rest is ok :)

EssZet : there are problems in your transcriptions… I suggest you email me with a Word file with the transcription so I can correct them directly and offer you explanations… and one important thing : you have to know in what language is each of the word and to identify it so I can help you… if they are all Sindarin, we will use the same mode for them all, but not if they are from different languages. You used different modes, I think that some concepts are still unclear for you, but you are on the good way ! I’ll wait for your email.

barbara.coelho : if your boyfriend like the style of the One Ring, I will use the font Tengwar Annatar italic. As for the modes, they depend in part of the language we transcribe. So as your sentences are Quenya, I’ll transcribe them using a Quenya mode. For the names, you have to tell me in what language they are so I can choose a mode. I cannot transcribe them as if they were in Quenya, because some letters don’t exist alone in Quenya (example : the two “b” of Barbara). So tell me the language, and I see you put an accent on the first A of your name in the explanation, but not after, when you list the two names… if there is an accent, it’s important to put it !

rpsantos : no problem. I always use the same mode for English. It’s a classic mode, using tehtar for vowels, and mostly orthographic. To see examples of the result, you can have a look on all the dark blue transcriptions I posted on this thread (dark blue = English).

Isildilmë
Devoted to the Sheen

Postby Isildilmë » Fri Apr 17, 2015 8:53 am

For ransackery :

Image Click on the image for regular size

Isildilmë
Devoted to the Sheen

Postby Isildilmë » Fri Apr 17, 2015 8:54 am

Pour slowly :

Isildilmë
Devoted to the Sheen

Postby barbara.coelho » Fri Apr 17, 2015 8:54 am

The names are in Brazilian Portuguese. My name has an accent, yes, so it's Bárbara.
barbara.coelho

Postby Isildilmë » Fri Apr 17, 2015 8:55 am

For dihlops : you asked for TA and TGvorn, so for TA I did it in regular and italic because it’s quite different. In TGvorn I made it bigger to be sure we see it well.

Isildilmë
Devoted to the Sheen

Postby Isildilmë » Fri Apr 17, 2015 8:55 am

Perfect barbara.coelho :)

Isildilmë
Devoted to the Sheen

Postby Isildilmë » Fri Apr 17, 2015 8:56 am

For Ave.cesaria : OK, so I did both decimal and duodecimal. As you can see, in decimal we identify the system with a dot above, and duodecimal with a dot or line under (bot you could use no symbol with duodecimal system as it is the normal and automatic system for Elves).

Isildilmë
Devoted to the Sheen

Postby slowly » Sun Apr 19, 2015 2:46 am

Bonjour Isildilmë,

Merci beaucoup pour ton aide.
slowly

Postby evarist » Wed Apr 22, 2015 1:31 am

Dear Isildilmë,

Is there any transcription for me :cry2:
evarist

Postby bancho100 » Fri Apr 24, 2015 2:07 pm

Isildilmë wrote:bancho100 : you forgot to tell the language of the last quote, but I guess it’s Quenya. No problem with the rest :)

Sorry i didnt notice, but yeah it's Quenya :) also I don't know why, but now I see that one word was pasted wrong - correct phrase is : " Cun(t)ië imlë i antúra melehtë ná "
bancho100

Postby elvish15 » Sat Apr 25, 2015 7:54 am

I feel like I've been looking for something like this online for years!!!

Please could someone translate this for me I would really appreciate it :)

We became like insects in our own sight, so we were in theirs.

thankyou!
elvish15

PreviousNext

Return to Language