Official TENGWAR Transcription Thread (and TATTOOS) - V

Tolkien's worlds were birthed out of his love of language and his work at creating new ones. Enter into discussions surrounding Tolkien's languages.

Re: Official TENGWAR Transcription Thread (and TATTOOS) - V

Postby Isaac Dale » Sat Apr 25, 2015 9:14 am

Isildilmë,

Please may you transcript me the saying "a man travels the world in search of what he needs and returns home to find it" in the Tengwar Annatar italic font please? The translation in Quenya is "Nér lelya i ambar sácala ya merissë ar nanwenë marenna tuvitas".

Cheers!
Isaac Dale
Petitioner to the Council

Postby dihlops » Sat Apr 25, 2015 3:05 pm

Isildilmë!
Thank you so much! Amazing work you're doing here.
All the best wishes for you :)
dihlops

Postby Hos » Mon Apr 27, 2015 10:14 am

Hello Isildilmë,

Thank you again for your previous transcription – they came out great!

I was hoping you could do a few more as time allows:

Phrases I would like transcribed: “No matter what, you keep finding something to fight for.” and “It’s got everything to do with that little girl.”
Language: English
Font: TA-I and TC-I

Please let me know if you need any other information from me.

Thanks,

Hos
Hos

Postby barbara.coelho » Mon Apr 27, 2015 11:33 am

Would these be correct transcriptions of the phrases I previously requested?

Isil cuivienyava

Anarinya ar eleni

I apologize for my rush, I really don't mean to be annoying, it's just that these are for my engagement rings and I super excited and anxious about this.
Thank you in advance.
barbara.coelho

Postby Chenlie » Thu Apr 30, 2015 2:56 am

Hello,I'm sorry if these names have already been mentioned but I'm looking for the most correct version of Arwen (in elvish not English) to use as a tattoo. my daughter's name is Arwen! Also could you show me the name Vincent in tengwar please? My son's name. I'm thinking of having both names tattooed :) . Thanks so much in advance x oh and the sindarin font please x
Chenlie

Postby Isildilmë » Thu Apr 30, 2015 9:26 am

Sorry folks, everybody here has been sick at a moment in the last week, so it was a nightmare most of the time !

Thanks to those who took a minute to come back with comments and feedback on their transcriptions ! I’m happy you like them :)

evarist : I try to respect the order of the requests, and I have to live too. Your transcriptions will be posted as soon as your turn comes, thank you for understanding.

bancho100 : I noted the change.

elvish15 : I’m happy you found me :) haha… but you might choose a font from the list in the introduction maybe ? Follow the link in my signature.

Isaac Dale : so you want the English and the Quenya versions transcribed ? Or just the Quenya ?

Hos : perfect, as usual :)

barbara.coelho : The transcriptions are WRONG ! Please email me with "Tengwar" in the subject.

Chenlie : you forgot to tell me in what language you consider Vincent name is, so that I can choose the transcribing mode.

I thought I could do a few transcriptions this morning, but there were more new posts to answer than I thought and my son is waking up… I’ll try very hard to come back tomorrow with a few ones.
Concerning the Official Tengwar Transcription Thread - VI
To all the newbees, Welcome to TORC !
Before posting anything on this thread, READ THE INTRODUCTION. For now, I didn't have the time to update the intro, so I let you read the intro of thread #IV here.

If you have any questions, feel free to ask in the threads or by email (isildilme@hotmail.com - write "Tengwar" somewhere in the subject in case you fall in my junkmail, because if I don't know, I wont open the message !). Note that I don't accept transcription requests by email, you have to post them here !

You can address yourself to me in French, Spanish or English as you wish.

Special message : I have now two precious sons. They are my priorities, and an additional explanation for the delays in my answers. I WILL answer you... but you might have to wait. Thank you for your comprehension.
Isildilmë
Devoted to the Sheen

Postby Isaac Dale » Thu Apr 30, 2015 12:08 pm

Isildilmë,

Just the Quenya transcription please.

Cheers.
Isaac Dale

Postby Chenlie » Thu Apr 30, 2015 2:24 pm

Vincent in English please!! Thank you so much :)
Chenlie

Postby candenizli4 » Fri May 01, 2015 3:49 pm

heey Isildilme how 're u? ıt's me againn :D could you please transcribe the following into English Tengwar Annatar Italic and Tengwar Annatar italic + bold ?

-the road from earth to the stars is not easy
Last edited by candenizli4 on Fri May 22, 2015 4:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
candenizli4

Postby Kimberry » Sun May 03, 2015 4:15 am

Hello Isildilmë! :)

I wanted to ask for a transcription, here the information:

1. Quote: " Tomorrow will take it away, the fear of today. "
2. English like here
3. TA-I ; TC-I ; TEmar-I
4. ---

It is a lyrics-verse of the "Bard's song" by Blind Guardian (they don't seldom sing about tales and fantasy and also about Lord of the Rings).
--> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eoYjtAX7w1M || This is a live version of the Wacken Open Air 2011 (my first one, I was 14) and the feeling is overwhelming...
I want to tattoo it in September, that's why I don't transcribe it myself - you simply have more skill and I want to make sure it is 100% right :).

I also wanted to request this one:

1. Quote: "And woe to all who stop at the horizon."
2. Again English
3. TA-I ; TC-I ; TEmar-I
4. ---

Thank you for your help! ♥
Last edited by Kimberry on Sun May 03, 2015 4:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kimberry

Postby Laura_Lou28 » Sun May 03, 2015 10:10 am

Hi
I would really like to get "Always" or possibly "Always and forever" tattooed on elvish (as part of a larger tattoo piece). I'm having trouble trying to find the correct way of translating it. I've found a few different images, I know there are different styles and so some would appear different but some are so completely different that one (or both) must be wrong!

I like the italic styles as I think they look nicer in a tattoo. I tried to attach a picture of the different variations I'd found but for some reason it won't let me :(

I'd really appreciate your help!
Laura_Lou28

Postby Almatolmen » Mon May 04, 2015 9:08 am

Laura-Lou28, if you go to the Language Forum, you'll find translation threads for both Quenya and Sindarin and request help from both or either of the moderators.

I don't know whether your Lou is short for something, but my sister's name is Janet Lou, after our grandmother, Blanche Louella. She has always hated her middle name and we are forbidden from using it. So naturally, whenever we want to annoy her, she hears a lot of Janet Lous!
Almatolmen
Mariner

Postby Laura_Lou28 » Mon May 04, 2015 9:36 am

Almatolmen - I meant I couldn't figure out the right way to write it rather than translate it. I've found about 5 different versions of script that are all apparently meant to say the same thing :| I don't wanna get it done only for someone to tell me it's wrong, because as I said it's going to be incorporated into a larger tattoo piece. I don't know if the Sindarin/Quenya threads would help, I thought (from browsing the forums) that all the "how would you write this..." type of requests went here?

Haha you shouldn't tease her if she really hates the name! It's not short for anything. A lot of people think it short for Louise or Louisa but it's not, it's just Lou :)
Laura_Lou28

Postby Almatolmen » Mon May 04, 2015 10:17 am

Sorry. Words do matter! What's done here is to transcibe, not translate. I can translate something from English to Russian, which can be written in Cyrillic or transcribed into Roman. Or, if I'd like, the English could be transcribed into Cyrillic.

But, it's so much fun teasing big sister. And we don't do it often. Mostly these days on her birthday. I grin evilly as I remind her that she's 14 years older than I am and Mom & Dad bestowed her with such a nice name to honor grandma. :twisted: :twisted:

"Happy Birthday to you, Happy Birthday to you,
Happy Birthday, Janet Lou,
Happy Birthday to you!"
Almatolmen
Mariner

Postby Isildilmë » Mon May 04, 2015 11:17 am

Laura Lou, Alma is write (is usually is, btw :D). You should read the introduction (link in my signature) to understand better what is the difference between a translation and a transcription. If you don't want to change the language but just want to have it written in Tengwar (Elvish writting), then yes you are at the good place. But you have to choose a font, "italic" is not enough. Again, see the list in the intro (ex. Tengwar Annatar, italic form).

The other new requests are fine !

ahhhh, I wish I had an older sister to tease ! not always as fun with younger ones !
Before posting anything on this thread, READ THE INTRODUCTION. For now, I didn't have the time to update the intro, so I let you read the intro of thread #IV here.

If you have any questions, feel free to ask in the threads or by email (isildilme@hotmail.com - write "Tengwar" somewhere in the subject in case you fall in my junkmail, because if I don't know, I wont open the message !). Note that I don't accept transcription requests by email, you have to post them here !

Special message : I have now two precious sons. They are my priorities, and an additional explanation for the delays in my answers. I WILL answer you... but you might have to wait. Thank you for your comprehension.
Isildilmë
Devoted to the Sheen

Postby Isildilmë » Mon May 04, 2015 11:46 am

For rpsantos :
Image Image

Image Image
Image Image Image

Isildilmë
Devoted to the Sheen

Postby Isildilmë » Mon May 04, 2015 11:47 am

For evarist :

Image Click on the image for regular size
I treated the name as if it was in English, as I don’t know from what language it is. I would end almost the same treated as French.

Image Click on the image for regular size

Isildilmë
Devoted to the Sheen

Postby Laura_Lou28 » Mon May 04, 2015 11:59 am

I didn't really make myself very clear did I? Sorry about that, I wrote that post after a 16 hour on-call shift. I think my brain had melted :(
I did mean transcribe not translate. I would just like to see "always" and "always and forever" in elvish script, not translated into any other language. Would it be possible to see it in Tengwar Annatar Italic and also Tengwar Sindarin Italic please?
Thank you!
Laura_Lou28

Postby Isildilmë » Mon May 04, 2015 12:14 pm

won-der-ful :)

I know something about melted brains, don't worry ;)

Isildilmë
Devoted to the Sheen

Postby rpsantos » Mon May 04, 2015 3:10 pm

Isildilmë,

thanks for the transcriptions. They look amazing!

If I may, I'd like to ask for a favour. In the second request that I made, the one with two sentences (one in English and the other in Quenya), could you also do it in Tengwar Anaatar (regular and italic).

Once again, thanks for your help! :)
rpsantos
Citizen of Imladris

Postby Sanne29 » Tue May 05, 2015 8:49 am

Hello Isildilmë,

I would like to ask you for an transcription.

Bar adel, i ardhon athan
A ennas raid odrim an badol
Trî 'waith anin rîw fuin
Ir elenath narthanner
Sí na i veth e-lend caedon
Mi 'waith tobannen nûr
Athan baradath daug a chall
Athan orodath varadh
Or naeath i Anor nôr
A elin dorthar anuir
ú-bedithon i aur telthannen
egor bedo anin elin novaer

Language is Sindarin and i would like it in TS-I

Thank you in advance
Sanne29

Postby alottaroses » Sat May 09, 2015 10:45 am

My husband and I are getting this tattooed soon! I just want to make sure this is the correct translation before we have it permanently inked on our bodies!! Thank you! :) Image
alottaroses

Postby Almatolmen » Sat May 09, 2015 10:00 pm

Transcription' not translation!"

I can't tell if it's right, but in looks like English to me.
Almatolmen
Mariner

Postby Eas03 » Sun May 10, 2015 12:44 pm

Hi there

I am looking at getting a tattoo and was wondering if you can transcribe Sophie Scarlett into Tengwar annatar italic bold

Thanks
Eas03

Postby Isildilmë » Tue May 12, 2015 9:20 am

Rpsantos : no problem

Sanne29 : perfect

alottaroses : it’s not exactly the same as how I prefer to transcribe it, but many transcribers write these sentences that way. There is no problem to go with them. If you want to see mine, email me and I’ll send them to you (I did them a few times in the past so I still have the files). And Alma is right, it’s a TRANSCRIPTION, not a TRANSLATION. The language is still English, just written with a different script.

Eas03 : no problem, but please confirm the language of the name… English ?

Isildilmë
Devoted to the Sheen

Postby Eas03 » Tue May 12, 2015 10:21 am

Yes the language of the name is English
Thanks
Eas03

Postby alottaroses » Tue May 12, 2015 1:47 pm

Can you please translate this to Quenya, then transcribe to Tengwar in Tengwar Annatar Italic, please?

all that is gold does not glitter
not all those who wander are lost
alottaroses

Postby Almatolmen » Tue May 12, 2015 3:07 pm

alottaroses, Isildilmë doesn't translate. Go back to the. Language. Forum and find the most recent Quenya Translation thread. You can get help there. I'm sure that the phrase is on file, since it's popular for tattoos.
Almatolmen
Mariner

Postby fitluk1093 » Sun May 17, 2015 10:36 am

Hey Isildilme :)

it would be a great pleasure for me if u could transcribe the german word "Freund" into Tengwar Cursive italic.

Thanks and have a good day :)
fitluk1093

Postby alottaroses » Mon May 18, 2015 10:10 am

Ahh, sorry I'm new to this! I got the translation! Can you please transcribe in Tengwar Annatar Italic:

all that iz gold doez not glitter
not all thoze who wander are lost

And

Ilya ya ná laurë ua mirilya
Lá ilyë queni i ranyar nar vanwë

Thank you!!!!
Last edited by alottaroses on Mon Jun 15, 2015 1:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
alottaroses

PreviousNext

Return to Language