Elvish News

Tolkien's worlds were birthed out of his love of language and his work at creating new ones. Enter into discussions surrounding Tolkien's languages.

Re: Elvish News

Postby Hobbit_Guy » Mon Jun 22, 2015 9:27 pm

Xandarien wrote:Two pieces of news today!Secondly, Parma Eldalamberon #22 has just been announced here on Facebook! No Sindarin for me unfortunately, but lots of Quenya goodies instead.

Well, I wouldn't say no Sindarin (as I expected). There's some new nouns, adjectives, and verbs (with some past tenses and gerunds) as well as a discussion of the different (yes, different!) ways and etymologies of forming the future tense in Noldorin and Sindarin (and Telerin), and their differences in nuance. Unfortunately, there aren't any conjugations of "to be" in Sindarin (darn!) like I was hoping for, but we do have 2 new pronominal suffixes, two or three small Sindarin 2-4 word phrases, including one exemplifying "There is [X] in me". I'm still trying to figure out whether the Sindarin word for "there is" is some kind of verb, or particle, or whatnot ...

This is of course in addition to the dizzying amount of Qenya and Quenya verb conjugations (many of which employ previously-unattested verbs and roots) and differing patterns, conditionals, and some interrogatives / how to ask questions. We get much wanted Q vocabulary like "to seem, appear" and "to become" (in the 40s ones?) as well as "please" (in late documents), and many new sentences. The section on 1930s tengwar paradigms has material on Qenya pronunciation, as well as Noldorin and Old Noldorin historical phonology, and Gondolic dialect.

There's even more paradigms/conceptions of "can, be able" verbs/roots in Elvish. The Qenya/Quenya forms have tenses we hadn't even speculated on how to conjugate (if they even showed up) outside of appearances in early Qenya, and explanations of some other verb-derivation suffixes (similar to -ima in being a kind of conjugation but not a tense one), causatives, forms, "begin to [verb]", etc. However, while some of the material supplements/corrects/confirms what we already knew/speculated (like explaining the difference between future -áva and -uva in 1930s Qenya, or in later Quenya mentioning the certain classes of verbs which conjugate future in -auva), some parts just completely contradict other attested material (some present tenses being formed with -ia, for example). These will have to be taken as "snapshots" showing Tolkien's conjugation conceptions at various points in time - kind of what we have for the large amount of differing Quenya pronoun tables.

At any rate, PE22 is a jackpot for those into Quenya, though there are some unexpected bits for Sindarin-lovers too. Additionally, the large amount of new Q(u)enya verbs and roots will probably be useful for reconstructions into Sindarin. So you should be somewhat happier than you expected, even though it's not a Sindarin motherlode.

I was planning on starting to index this issue right away, but the amount of words/forms in PE22 is pretty much a mix between the lexicons/essays in PE17 and the declension tables earlier on in PE21. Eep. This is going to take much, much longer than I had anticipated.
Hobbit_Guy
Shield Bearer

Re: Elvish News

Postby Xandarien » Tue Jun 23, 2015 8:33 am

I hadn't actually bothered to order it, I will now, thank you for the information!
Xandarien
Rider of the Mark

Previous

Return to Language