Elvish News

Tolkien's worlds were birthed out of his love of language and his work at creating new ones. Enter into discussions surrounding Tolkien's languages.

Elvish News

Postby Xandarien » Tue Feb 05, 2013 2:48 am

I couldn't see another thread on a similar topic, and I thought it deserved its own!

Vinyar Tengwar #50 is coming March 1 (approx) - 3 new Sindarin texts.

Parma Eldalamberon #21 coming Spring 2013 - Qenya nouns!
Xandarien
Rider of the Mark

Re: Elvish News

Postby Isildilmë » Tue Feb 05, 2013 3:18 am

:shock:
Great news... even if I'm late in these, I have none of the VT, and only one PE...

I'll need money.

:bang:
Concerning the Official Tengwar Transcription Thread - VI
To all the newbees, Welcome to TORC !
Before posting anything on this thread, READ THE INTRODUCTION. For now, I didn't have the time to update the intro, so I let you read the intro of thread #IV here.

If you have any questions, feel free to ask in the threads or by email (isildilme@hotmail.com - write "Tengwar" somewhere in the subject in case you fall in my junkmail, because if I don't know, I wont open the message !). Note that I don't accept transcription requests by email, you have to post them here !

You can address yourself to me in French, Spanish or English as you wish.

Special message : I have now two precious sons. They are my priorities, and an additional explanation for the delays in my answers. I WILL answer you... but you might have to wait. Thank you for your comprehension.
Isildilmë
Devoted to the Sheen

Postby Hobbit_Guy » Tue Feb 05, 2013 3:47 pm

Even better, the three Sindarin texts to be presented in VT50 are the "Túrin Wrapper," a set of untranslated texts from which come the much-analyzed A Rían pent [>] Arphent Rían Tuorna 'Man agorech?'. Finally we shall see the texts in full, with Carl Hostetter's analysis, and be able to know the meaning of -ch (from that paradigm) in context. The pronominal endings in that 'snapshot' may very well be different than those in PE17; we shall see, in March! :)
Hobbit_Guy
Shield Bearer

Postby Xandarien » Thu Feb 21, 2013 2:48 am

David Salo has a new language blog, http://midgardsmal.com/ - he's writing about how he made neo-khuzdul as well as other rather interesting things!
Xandarien
Rider of the Mark

Postby Gladhaniel » Thu Feb 21, 2013 3:34 am

Xandarien wrote:David Salo has a new language blog, http://midgardsmal.com/ - he's writing about how he made neo-khuzdul as well as other rather interesting things!

Thank you for the information! Very interesting. :)
Gladhaniel
Rider of the Mark

Postby Isildilmë » Fri Feb 22, 2013 6:05 am

Indeed ! I'll add that in my to read list !
Before posting anything on this thread, READ THE INTRODUCTION. For now, I didn't have the time to update the intro, so I let you read the intro of thread #IV here.

If you have any questions, feel free to ask in the threads or by email (isildilme@hotmail.com - write "Tengwar" somewhere in the subject in case you fall in my junkmail, because if I don't know, I wont open the message !). Note that I don't accept transcription requests by email, you have to post them here !

Special message : I have now two precious sons. They are my priorities, and an additional explanation for the delays in my answers. I WILL answer you... but you might have to wait. Thank you for your comprehension.
Isildilmë
Devoted to the Sheen

Postby Xandarien » Wed Jul 03, 2013 4:53 am

Elvish Haiku Contest being hosted by Omentielva Lempea - submissions in Sindarin or Quenya.

Haven't decided if I'm going to give this a go or not yet.
Xandarien
Rider of the Mark

Postby Isildilmë » Wed Jul 03, 2013 5:29 am

You should ! And Dhani too ! I can propose to do the transcription of your submission if this can add something to your submissions (I don't know if you send just the text and they present it, or if you can present the whole thing more artistically).

Isildilmë
Devoted to the Sheen

Postby Xandarien » Thu Jul 04, 2013 5:25 am

Alrighty, I'll see if I can come up with one while I'm at my parents this weekend :)
Xandarien
Rider of the Mark

Postby Isildilmë » Sat Jul 13, 2013 5:16 am

So ???

Isildilmë
Devoted to the Sheen

Postby Gladhaniel » Sat Jul 13, 2013 6:49 am

Oh, I just read your suggestion, Isildilmë. I'll definitely give it a try! :) A transcription would be wonderful as well. :D I'll talk to you again when I'm done writing; I don't know how long that'll take, but I'll try not to take too long.
Gladhaniel
Rider of the Mark

Postby Isildilmë » Sat Jul 13, 2013 8:25 am

Okidoo !

Isildilmë
Devoted to the Sheen

Postby Cillendor » Mon Jul 29, 2013 4:24 pm

Isildilmë wrote:You should ! And Dhani too ! I can propose to do the transcription of your submission if this can add something to your submissions (I don't know if you send just the text and they present it, or if you can present the whole thing more artistically).

From what I can tell, they just want the text. It says 'no attachments', you need to submit the poem(s) in the body of the email. However, it doesn't say you can't include a picture with it written in Tengwar, so I don't think that's against the rules.
Cillendor
Citizen of Imladris

Postby Xandarien » Fri Aug 09, 2013 11:06 am

Parma Eldalamberon issue 21 has been announced!

http://www.eldalamberon.com/parma21.html
Xandarien
Rider of the Mark

Postby Isildilmë » Mon Aug 12, 2013 10:36 am

I know ! And I'm excited :happydance: : I want them all, but I only have 3 of them by now... and I'm sad because of the editions that are out of print... I have #17, but I might never get the others. :(

Isildilmë
Devoted to the Sheen

Postby Gladhaniel » Mon Aug 19, 2013 4:48 am

I wonder when they'll be announcing the winners of the haiku contest! :o
Gladhaniel
Rider of the Mark

Postby Isildilmë » Sat Aug 24, 2013 5:03 am

I was asking myself the same question no later than this very morning, thinking about you, when I logged to my FB account and saw your post announcing that you, Gladhaniel, won the Quenya haiku contest !

HUGE CONGRATULATIONS !

I don't know if there were many categories (Quenya, Sindarin, etc.) or if you won the whole contest, but in both cases it's amazing ! You can be proud of yourself !

Isildilmë
Devoted to the Sheen

Postby Xandarien » Sun Dec 22, 2013 2:33 pm

Sindarin analysis from Desolation of Smaug

There's an awful lot I don't agree with about the Sindarin in this film, but still, here it is!
Xandarien
Rider of the Mark

Postby Xandarien » Sat May 24, 2014 12:22 pm

Tolkien recording discovered!

This is very exciting, as apparently there is also an 'Elvish poem' (which language? Argh! :D )

To join the mailing list to learn when this will be released... Click here
Xandarien
Rider of the Mark

Postby Gladhaniel » Sat May 24, 2014 1:51 pm

I'm also very curious to know which Elvish language it is. People at Gwaith-i-Phethain seem to suggest it might be Quenya, but who knows? Can't wait for the recording to be released! :D
Gladhaniel
Rider of the Mark

Postby Xandarien » Sun May 25, 2014 9:01 am

Aye, been confirmed it's Quenya. Great for you, not so great for me :) (well, might be a nice new verb in there or something, one never knows).
Xandarien
Rider of the Mark

Postby Gladhaniel » Sun May 25, 2014 2:57 pm

Oh, wonderful! :) May I ask the source for this confirmation?
Gladhaniel
Rider of the Mark

Postby Xandarien » Mon May 26, 2014 1:52 am

Xandarien
Rider of the Mark

Postby Gladhaniel » Mon May 26, 2014 3:25 am

Thanks a lot! :) I will try doing the tentative translation into Quenya that Mr. Hostetter suggests: I find tremendous the idea of later being able to compare my translation with Tolkien's own. I guess it would also be interesting for you to do it, as some fascinating comparative points between Quenya and Sindarin may come to light!
Gladhaniel
Rider of the Mark

Postby Xandarien » Tue Dec 30, 2014 4:42 am

Elvish Linguistics Kickstarter

This is a project that DreamingFifi from Realelvish.net, myself and David Salo are involved with. Any pledges would be gratefully appreciated!
Xandarien
Rider of the Mark

Postby Hobbit_Guy » Tue Dec 30, 2014 4:39 pm

Nice! I see this has already been advertised here, on Facebook (Tolkien Society), on Elfling, and G+ (Atwe's community). Any ideas for where there might be more lambendili to spread the word to who might be willing to pitch in? Council of Elrond (Ardalambion-based lessons) and Mellyn Lammath (German forum) come to mind, though they probably already have overlap with the previous sites' audience.
Hobbit_Guy
Shield Bearer

Postby Xandarien » Wed Dec 31, 2014 4:22 am

I've put it on Council of Elrond, but I hesitated to do so simply because it seems most people who use the Language fora are very young, and/or only come once or twice to ask a question and see the answer.
Xandarien
Rider of the Mark

Postby Xandarien » Sat Jan 10, 2015 3:26 am

The Kickstarter has been successfully funded! (Now the real work begins...)
Xandarien
Rider of the Mark

Postby Gladhaniel » Wed Jan 14, 2015 6:45 am

Congratulations! What a great project. :)
Gladhaniel
Rider of the Mark

Postby Xandarien » Mon Apr 27, 2015 2:47 am

Two pieces of news today!

Presenting The Sindarin Library!. This is the end result of our successfully funded Kickstarter venture after many hours of beta testing (and losing our data once to a hack). We have just started adding entries to the site to help students learn, and there will be many more added over the coming weeks and months! :D

Secondly, Parma Eldalamberon #22 has just been announced here on Facebook! No Sindarin for me unfortunately, but lots of Quenya goodies instead.
Xandarien
Rider of the Mark

Next

Return to Language