Help needed!

Tolkien's worlds were birthed out of his love of language and his work at creating new ones. Enter into discussions surrounding Tolkien's languages.

Help needed!

Postby tinku92 » Wed Sep 17, 2014 7:13 pm

Hello everyone,

I have always been a huge fan of fantasy. LOTR trilogy inspired me to work on a fantasy novel of my own. I will be the first to admit that I am not gifted when it comes to fantasy languages. Instead of creating my own language I chose to use one of the fantasy languages left behind by the one of the greatest authors of all time. So, here's my questions?

Which Elvan language is better suited to use in my novels? I am asking this because I knew the great author Tolkien didn't finish constructing all languages.

Can you also please suggest three names starting with 'S'? One should be a females elf's name, and other two are kind of like surnames.

Regards
Tinku92
tinku92
Petitioner to the Council

Re: Help needed!

Postby Xandarien » Thu Sep 18, 2014 1:37 am

If you're actually intending to publish (self publish or agent route) your novel you can't use any of Tolkien's languages as it would create far too many copyright issues. :)

So if you were going to use a female Sindarin name like Saeleth (random name picked out of a hat, it happens to mean 'wise'), which you happened to like the form of, you would need to change it, to something like Salletha or Saellath.
Xandarien
Rider of the Mark

Return to Language