What means these dots?

Tolkien's worlds were birthed out of his love of language and his work at creating new ones. Enter into discussions surrounding Tolkien's languages.

What means these dots?

Postby Gonza » Mon Mar 16, 2015 2:19 am

What means dots under 7, 12, 17, 22, 28, 33, 38, 52, 56?

Gonza
Petitioner to the Council

Re: What means these dots?

Postby Wingheart Mistywing » Wed Nov 18, 2015 10:38 pm

I would love to help (if you still need it), but I can't seem to see the picture... :? - Wingi
Wingheart Mistywing
Petitioner to the Council

Re: What means these dots?

Postby Isildilmë » Sat Nov 21, 2015 4:47 pm

Sorry, I just saw this post. The explanation seems to be in the text, second paragraph of the Cirth section :
[...] The principal additions, however, the introduction of two new series, 13-17, and 23-28, were actually most probably inventions of the Noldor of Eregion, since they were used for the representation of sounds not found in Sindarin.

Tolkien was nice enough to point these additions in the table.

This explains 4 of the dot groups. I can't remember about the others if I saw something, but they are more than probably their to identify groups too.
Concerning the Official Tengwar Transcription Thread - VI
To all the newbees, Welcome to TORC !
Before posting anything on this thread, READ THE INTRODUCTION. For now, I didn't have the time to update the intro, so I let you read the intro of thread #IV here.

If you have any questions, feel free to ask in the threads or by email (isildilme@hotmail.com - write "Tengwar" somewhere in the subject in case you fall in my junkmail, because if I don't know, I wont open the message !). Note that I don't accept transcription requests by email, you have to post them here !

You can address yourself to me in French, Spanish or English as you wish.

Special message : I have now two precious sons. They are my priorities, and an additional explanation for the delays in my answers. I WILL answer you... but you might have to wait. Thank you for your comprehension.
Isildilmë
Devoted to the Sheen

Return to Language