Official TENGWAR Transcription Thread (and TATTOOS) - VI

Tolkien's worlds were birthed out of his love of language and his work at creating new ones. Enter into discussions surrounding Tolkien's languages.

Re: Official TENGWAR Transcription Thread (and TATTOOS) - VI

Postby Isildilmë » Fri Sep 23, 2016 7:21 pm

For kiwiwin365 :

Concerning the Official Tengwar Transcription Thread - VI
To all the newbees, Welcome to TORC !
Before posting anything on this thread, READ THE INTRODUCTION. For now, I didn't have the time to update the intro, so I let you read the intro of thread #IV here.

If you have any questions, feel free to ask in the threads or by email (isildilme@hotmail.com - write "Tengwar" somewhere in the subject in case you fall in my junkmail, because if I don't know, I wont open the message !). Note that I don't accept transcription requests by email, you have to post them here !

You can address yourself to me in French, Spanish or English as you wish.

Special message : I have now two precious sons. They are my priorities, and an additional explanation for the delays in my answers. I WILL answer you... but you might have to wait. Thank you for your comprehension.
Isildilmë
Devoted to the Sheen

Postby Isildilmë » Fri Sep 23, 2016 7:30 pm

It would be marijamarija123's turn, but there are missing elements, so I skip her for now.

For
Perica : I permitted myself to add a final dot… if you prefer to remove it, just remove the four dots at the end of my transcription.

Image Click on the image for regular size

Before posting anything on this thread, READ THE INTRODUCTION. For now, I didn't have the time to update the intro, so I let you read the intro of thread #IV here.

If you have any questions, feel free to ask in the threads or by email (isildilme@hotmail.com - write "Tengwar" somewhere in the subject in case you fall in my junkmail, because if I don't know, I wont open the message !). Note that I don't accept transcription requests by email, you have to post them here !

Special message : I have now two precious sons. They are my priorities, and an additional explanation for the delays in my answers. I WILL answer you... but you might have to wait. Thank you for your comprehension.
Isildilmë
Devoted to the Sheen

Postby Isildilmë » Fri Sep 23, 2016 7:31 pm

For Gladhaniel :
Image Image

Isildilmë
Devoted to the Sheen

Postby judithch » Sat Sep 24, 2016 4:52 pm

Hello, I'm so happy to finally found a place to transale a sentence to Tengwar. For a long time I've been thinking on getting a tattoo and I though about combining my favourite film and my favourite song in one.
I would like to translate this: It's not always easy, but I'm here forever

This is in english and i would like it on TA-I
Thank you :)
judithch
Petitioner to the Council

Postby judithch » Sat Sep 24, 2016 4:52 pm

Hello, I'm so happy to finally found a place to transale a sentence to Tengwar. For a long time I've been thinking on getting a tattoo and I though about combining my favourite film and my favourite song in one.
I would like to translate this: It's not always easy, but I'm here forever

This is in english and i would like it on TA-I
Thank you :)
judithch

Postby Burnah » Mon Sep 26, 2016 12:58 pm

Hi there everybody.

Googled some help with transcript help for a tattoo(s), came up with this forum.
I do not use online social things, including forums, so apologies in advance if I bundle up somewhere.

The Tolkien world is big in my family, my Dad being a huge reader of anything from the great man himself since he was a kid in the 50s, he passed that down to us and pretty much raised us on it, much like you all I imagine.

I am wanting to get my close family's names on my chest in Tengwar, at first I thought interlinking, but that is obviously not possible.

I really am not super-savvy with things technological, so here I am asking for assistance in translations for the names; Jackie , Neil , Tom , Andria and Keith .

Take as long as you need, I really do appreciate any help.

Many thanks in advance.
Lew.
Burnah

Postby Isildilmë » Tue Sep 27, 2016 5:36 am

Judithch, no problem, you are now on my list.

Burnah, welcome in the world of forums ! And don't worry, many people here are newbies. I will just ask you to please read the introduction post (follow the link in my signature), just to be sure that you understand the difference between translation and transcription, and if what you want is a transcription as I think, to give me the missing details, like the language (should I treat these names as English names ?) and the font(s) you want.

Isildilmë
Devoted to the Sheen

Postby Mesmerion » Sat Oct 01, 2016 4:46 am

Hello Isildilmë!

First for all, thank you for keeping on helping out everybody who posts here. It's always a pleasure seeing that there is still somebody who actively keeps alive Tolkien's languages. :)
I'd like to have an elvish tattoo, and this is the sentence I chose: Avo bedo tellim thî na i veth. It's a Sindarin sentence that translates in "Don't say we have come now to the end", so I thought to have it translitterated in the Sindarin system. Could you please make it in TA-I+B? I tried to transliterate it by myself, but I'd like it checked by someone more expert than I am. So... Is this right?

Moreover, I'd like my tattoo to be circular, and by circular I mean something like this...

Is there any simple pc program that can "bend" texts? I'm not very able with computers... :P

Thanks in advance for your help... :D
Mesmerion

Postby Arlaug » Mon Oct 03, 2016 3:31 am

Hello there again :) May I please request the following
Ashes to snow

Lith a loss
TA+R
Thank you so much in advance <3
Last edited by Arlaug on Sat Dec 31, 2016 4:12 am, edited 2 times in total.
Arlaug
Shield Bearer

Postby psche400 » Fri Oct 14, 2016 9:28 am

I would love to have the following translated:

Lá equen áva nainuvalyë
an lá ilyë níreli nar úmiéo

Language: Quenya
Name: Andrew
Fonts: TQ-I and TS-I would be great to compare

Thanks so much in advance!
psche400

Postby amirammalka » Mon Oct 24, 2016 11:19 am

could someone help me and show how do i write AMIRAM MALKA
its for a tatoo...

thank you!
amirammalka

Postby Gladhaniel » Tue Oct 25, 2016 3:58 am

amirammalka wrote:could someone help me and show how do i write AMIRAM MALKA
its for a tatoo...

thank you!

Hi there! :)

Please take a look at the first page of this thread for more information about Tengwar and how to make a request to Isildilmë. :) She needs to know which language "AMIRAM MALKA" is, as well as the font(s) you'd like to have.
Gladhaniel
Rider of the Mark

Postby amirammalka » Sat Oct 29, 2016 10:10 am

sorry..... i realy wasn`t aware of the rules.... i am new to this page....
so...

1. the name is AMIRAM MALKA
2. its in hebrew - i know for a fact that JRRT spoke it freely :)
3. i would like to have it in TA(R), TA (B), TA(I), TA(I+B)
4. the meaning of my name is:
AMIRAM=hige folk/high people
MALKA=(ancient hebrew) A KING
5. thats about it..... i thank you very much!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! you are doing an amasing work.
amirammalka

Postby MontyPopcorn » Tue Nov 08, 2016 7:13 pm

Hello, I'd be ever appreciative if you could transcribe the following for me. Thank you in advance :)

Word: Muindor
Language: Sindarin
Font: Tengwar Annatar, (I+B)
Other Info: It means brother in Sindarin :)
MontyPopcorn

Official TENGWAR Transcription Thread (and TATTOOS) - VI

Postby amirammalka » Sun Nov 13, 2016 4:39 am

1. the name is AMIRAM MALKA
2. its in hebrew - i know for a fact that JRRT spoke it freely :)
3. i would like to have it in TA(R), TA (B), TA(I), TA(I+B)
4. the meaning of my name is:
AMIRAM=hige folk/high people
MALKA=(ancient hebrew) A KING
5. thats about it..... i thank you very much!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! you are doing an amasing work.
amirammalka

Postby DarkLittleHobbit » Wed Nov 16, 2016 4:29 am

Xandarien wrote:Are you wanting 'Proud Little Hobbit' translated into Quenya and Sindarin? (i.e. in Sindarin it would be Perian vladweg pîn = Proud little hobbit)

I´m so so sorry I didn´t replay before. I am terrible with remembering my passwords, I wrote it down in a paper but I lost it too. I finally found it and here I am hahahahaha.
I know it´s too late to say nothing at this point, but yes, what I wanted was have it translated in Quenya and Sindarin - and if that wasn´t possible, in one of them- and then turning that words into Tengwar, what I think is more accurate that put english in to tengwar.I love your traduction in Sindarin and I really really thank you for that, you helped me a lot.
DarkLittleHobbit

Postby DarkLittleHobbit » Wed Nov 16, 2016 4:34 am

DarkLittleHobbit : Thank you for your comment ! About the “how”, well, I’d say “reading, reading, reading, and practicing a lot”, and that by now I worked over all on Tengwar, which is a “mere” script, and a bit on Quenya, but not that much on the languages themselves, for I don’t have THAT much free time ! Now about your request, I’m not sure about what you want… is it a transcription into Tengwar, or first a translation into Sindarin and Quenya, and then written with Tengwar ? Have you read the introduction (link in my signature) ? Because I can only do the transcription part for you, as my friends from the other threads handle the language parts. Xandarien was nice enough to come here and tell you what it would be in Sindarin, but if you want it in Quenya too you have to go in the Quenya thread (as shown in the intro). Think about it, read that and then come back to me with the final request once it is in the language(s) you want. Don’t forget to tell me about the font(s) you’d like too ! :) And don’t worry about your language, English is not my language but people seem to accept the many imperfections of my speech ! What is your language ? (mine is French, and I also speak Spanish)

I´m so so sorry I didn´t replay before. I am terrible with remembering my passwords, I wrote it down in a paper but I lost it too. I finally found it and here I am hahahahaha.
I know it´s too late to say nothing at this point, but yes, what I wanted was have it translated in Quenya and Sindarin - and if that wasn´t possible, in one of them- and then turning that words into Tengwar, what I think is more accurate that put english in to tengwar. Being sincere Tolkien languages confuses me a little yet :? but I try my best to understand, I will really like to learn them but I´m not very good in it I think hahahahahahaha. I will go to the Quenya post, I have curiosity about how It would sound in Quenya. I don´t really know what you mean about the fonts? My language is Spanish :)
DarkLittleHobbit

Postby leisulin » Fri Nov 25, 2016 2:57 pm

Hello! I am new to this forum. I hope that what I want to talk about is appropriate for this thread.
I have been studying Chris McKay's Tengwar Textbook very closely, learning the Tengwar, and, for practice, transcribing sections of LOTR into Original Mode for English. As he discusses, there are certain forks in the road where a transcriber would be permitted to choose one path or another at his own whim, as long as he remains consistent, and I have done that in various cases. Last evening I encountered a word that gave me problems. It's when Goldberry tells Frodo she didn't realize that his folk were quite so "sweet-tongued". I wanted to discuss how this phrase should be "correctly" or at least acceptably transcribed, or at least to see how the transcribers here would render it.
I have a small jpeg screenshot of my rendering, but I don't know how to upload it to attach it to this comment, or if I even can. And I also don't know if I can somehow type in Tengwar here, which would certainly be cool! Failing either of those options, I will describe, if I may, how I chose to transcribe "tongued": Tinco first, of course, then the problems begin: I need Nwalmë for the ng sound, the tehta for "o" and, according to the Textbook, page 59, a following-w squiggle, also on top, to represent the silent "u" in "tongue". I think I just exceeded the limits of what the Tengwar Annatar font can do: the two diacritics pile on top of each other above the Nwalmë, and look stupid that way. What I finally decided was to put an "under tehta" for the "o" underneath the Tinco, then the following-w tehta above Nwalmë, and finally adding Ando for the "d" with an Obscure Vowel Mark underneath (one of the forks in the road).
I would love to hear what advice anyone here might have for this. I am eager to maximize my understanding of how to write English correctly in Tengwar!
leisulin

Postby twd3pdx » Sat Dec 24, 2016 9:00 am

Hi! I'd like the following transcription, please:

1. Minuial anuir amdir edain
2. Sindarin
3. Tengwar Annatar Normal and Tengwar Sindarin Normal

Thanks!
twd3pdx

Postby caityrook » Fri Dec 30, 2016 3:12 pm

Hi there! for many years i've been intending on getting a tattoo of Arwen's quote from TTT "You have my love, Father" which I have seen in Sindarin is "Gerich meleth nîn, ada." I am confused as to whether this should be "meleth" or "veleth" so if anyone can help clarify which is correct that would be a huge help!

1. Elrond: A im, ú-'erin veleth lîn?
Arwen: Gerich meleth nîn, ada.

2. Sindarin
3. TA-I
4. I want to see how the names look with the quotes, as lines, but I may choose to use only Arwen's line, so please leave enough spacing. I have also seen this translation http://i951.photobucket.com/albums/ad35 ... ndarin.jpg and am confused as to whether there is any difference in the two ways of writing it?

This tattoo will be in memory of my Father who shared his love of these books and movies with me from a very young age :) Together with this text i'll be including in the tattoo a line drawing of Elrond's LoTR tiara/circlet, which i think will look great!

Thank you so very much in advance
caityrook

Postby Light of Eärendil » Thu Jan 05, 2017 2:56 pm

Hiiiiiiii!!!!

Firstly, Happy New Year and all that jazz! :)

I've been meaning to get a few things transcribed for a while, and have kept putting it off. I started a relationship with someone that i've spoke to for over a decade a while back, and sure we've hit it off amazingly well. Soooo….I was going to get some silly engraved jewelry for the pair of us, so if you could help at all, it would be super awesome! :)

I've found one or two already…heres my request :)

Font: TA-I

Names English: Lauren, Loli, McKenzie, Gleeson

Language: Sindarin: Nana, Brôg, Medli, Graw

Language: Adunaic: Urugatto, Urigamme

basically we're very sappy and like bears :P

Thank you so so much in advance for any help!! :) <3
Light of Eärendil

Postby Isildilmë » Thu Jan 12, 2017 6:15 am

Hi everybody ! I'm still alive ! Sorry for letting you wait so long. Same story as before...

Thanks to Gladhaniel and Alma for your help asking clarifications to the requesters when I'm not there so that requests are more complete when I come back !

About the last requests :

vlayko/vlaya : perfect !

ATrinket : perfect too !

mtw : no problem !

B_March : wonderful !

eleiryn : There is no problem. For the Dragon Age words, I propose to transcribe them as if they were in English, using the same mode (the code I use to transcribe into Tengwar). If this is a problem, tell me, but I think you’ll be happy with the result.

hukan : Everything is perfect !

revvol : I now have all I need.

sacredrage : This was treated by email, because of the circumstances.

Luca1940 : ok !

omargaret : Differences are normal for many reasons, the most important being 1) there are many ways to use Tengwar (many transcription modes) and 2) errors. I used to take the second program you linked to (Online Tengwar Transcriber) for my drafts, and to correct the result by hand. Because no automatic program that I know of does it as well as a human brain can. So if you prefer, I can add your quote to my list and transcribe it myself when your turn comes.

Myles65 : No problem !

enrai : Perfect !

judithch : Sure !

Mesmerion : The transcription of the Sindarin quote to Tengwar you got is good (for this time !), and yes I can do it in bold and in a circle. Even with Word we can do that, as long as we have the font and everything. No problem.

Arlaug : Sure !

psche400 : From what language do you want me to consider “Andrew” is from ? English I guess ? The rest is fine.

amirammalka : I’m not surprised to hear that Tolkien spoke Hebrew :D. The problem is that he didn’t (as far as I know) prepare a mode to write this language with Tengwar and I didn’t find one made by a fan that I was comfortable to trust by now. So what I propose is this : I can write it letter by letter as if it was an English name. Anybody we knows this transcription mode will read Amiram Malka easily. Ok for you ?

MontyPopcorn : Perfect !

DarkLittleHobbit : No hay problema ! Mi idoma tampoco es inglés, pero francés. Y creo que hablo español igual de bien (o de mal !) como inglés, entonces… :) Y no te disculpes por el tiempo, viste como a mi me tome mucho tiempo que contestar ! Primero, “Font” es la fuente. Debiste ver que la gente me pide diferentes fuentes, la mayoria del tiempo "Tengwar Annatar italic". Las opciones que tengo son en la introducción (aquí). Puedes elegir algunas que te gustan. En la intro también encontraras información sobre adonde buscar traducciones en Sindarin y Quenya si ya no lo hiciste. Pero no hay problema escribir cualquier idioma con Tengwar, entonces si quieres una frase en inglés escrita en Tengwar es algo muy adecuado. Tolkien lo hacia todo el tiempo. Personas interesadas en sus idiomas y alfabetos como yo hicimos modos de transcripción para español también, entonces si quieres algo en español escrito en Tengwar, te lo podré hacer (no tenemos la aprobación de Tolkien para esos modos, pero el decía que se podían escribir todos los idiomas con Tengwar, entonces no creo que haría sido en contra !). Esperare tu proximo mensaje para saber lo que has decidido y lo que necesitas ! Y si te pierdes tu contraseña de nuevo, envíame un email ;)

leisulin : I have to say that I wasn’t aware of this textbook. I’m more interested in material from Tolkien than from fans, that may be why :). I downloaded it now so that I can have a look. I totally understand your problem, and the answer is of course difficult because it depends on the mode you use, which includes the decisions you are talking about. As we cannot write in Tengwar here (I agree it would be awesome !), and as this can become heavy to read for the type of people normally coming here with no knowledge of these things, I propose to continue this by email. Anyway I’m the only transcriber on this page by now. You can create a Word file with your text and transcription, send it to me and I will be able to comment directly on it and offer my opinion. My email is in my signature.

twd3pdx : wonderful

caityrook : First, for any question about Sindarin words (like Meleth/Veleth), I suggest you ask to Xandarien in the Official Sindarin Translation Thread (link in my introduction post, it’s in the Language forum of this very website). I’m more into transcription than translation ! The transcription you found is from my old transcription, and at this time I wasn’t writing the name of the modes for Sindarin. The difference is that the first line is made using Tehtar mode for Sindarin, while the second uses the Mode of Beleriand. It is said that Elves used at first the Mode of Beleriand for Sindarin (like on the Gate of Moria), while, later, Men tend to use the Tehtar Mode (like Aragorn in a letter to Samwise), but of course the Elves knew the two modes at this time. And as Elrond and Arwen were close to Men and are even in an half-elven family, I really cannot say what their preference would be. And if Aragorn grew at Rivendell, he probably learned Sindarin and Tengwar there, so we can guess that this mode was used at least part of the time there, but that is a mere speculation that I just thought of. After all, he could learn the Mode of Beleriand in his youth and then the Tehtar Mode later, in his long life… In the end, I can just do both modes for you and you see what pleases you the most :)

Light of Eärendil : if I got it well, you ask for the transcription of the English, Sindarin and Adûnaic words ? Or did you give the English version just as additional information ? I have to warn you that as far as I’m concerned, Tolkien never wrote Adûnaic with Tengwar, so we don’t have a mode from his hand for this language, but I found a mode made by a fan and I’ll see if it looks well done, and then I could use it if it’s ok with you.

I'll come back with a few transcriptions... just to analyse the new requests and give this review takes so long !

Isildilmë
Devoted to the Sheen

Postby caityrook » Thu Jan 12, 2017 9:45 am

Thank you so much for your time Isildilmë! I will go with veleth as that is what is used in the movie line, and I prefer the Tehtar mode.
caityrook

Postby Litraya » Thu Jan 12, 2017 8:24 pm

So Isildilmë, wayyy back in OTTT-IV I asked for some transcriptions and you were absolutely amazing. I was still underage back then, so I waited a year until I was 18... then I waited some more and waffled back and forth if I would actually get a tattoo at all. The entire time the transcription and pieces I had added were up on my wall. Finally in November 2016, 4 years later, I got my tattoo that you transcribed, and I'm so grateful. So I wanted to show you the final product and thank you. :) http://imgur.com/a/1lwR7
Litraya

Postby Light of Eärendil » Fri Jan 13, 2017 2:43 am

Hi Isildilmë

That is right yes. They are English, Sindarin and Adúnaic.

I thought the same, that there was no work by Tolkien in relation, so I will leave that to you. That would be fantastic, but absolutely no pressure on the Adúnaic if it is too much hassle.

Thank you so much. :)
Light of Eärendil

Postby Arlaug » Fri Jan 13, 2017 7:17 am

Good to see you posting here again. Now, I will put this check-transcription here just so you can glance over when you have the time. My friend wants to tattoo the word Moon and she asked me to do a Beleriand+TA and regular Annatar Italic version. Can you please check these?
Beleriand ModeImage
Annatar ItalicImage
Arlaug
Shield Bearer

Postby psche400 » Mon Jan 16, 2017 2:55 am

Isildilmë

This is psche400 just to answer your query. My name is Andrew and it's English, but wasn't necessarily needing a translation of my name (though if you had the time it would be super cool to see my name in Tengwar. But the main translation I was shooting for was the Gandalf quote about tears, that appears to be written in Quenya. I really appreciate your hard work in between the times you're spending with your children. You rock!
psche400

Postby threeph » Fri Jan 20, 2017 4:40 pm

Hello, this is Threeph, and I really need your help! :) I want to get an inscription into my wedding ring: it is a quote from Toy Story: "To infinity and beyond" that Gladhaniel was so nice to translate into quenya for me

- "I nómenna avalanwië ar pella"

May you please write it for me into Tengwar font? I would like it in TA-I and TA-I+B please!

Also if you may I would like to get a transcription from its Italian equivalent which is "Verso l'infinito e oltre", so that I can choose the best looking one! :)

Thank you in advance!
threeph

Postby eleiryn » Sun Jan 22, 2017 3:12 pm

Isildilme: That's sounds perfect to me! Looking forward to this so much!!!!
eleiryn

Postby AidenZach » Sat Feb 18, 2017 6:18 am

Greetings, Isildilmë.

This is my first post. I am trying to help out my cousin who wants to get a tattoo in Tengwar. I told her not to rely on Google for translations as they are unreliable. I searched the web and so glad to have found this site. You are doing awesome work. :) I also have already read your official guidelines.

Anyway, here is the verse she wants translated.

"Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil, for you are with me."

Can I please have it in AT(R+B) and AT (I+B).

Thank you in advance!
AidenZach

PreviousNext

Return to Language