Official TENGWAR Transcription Thread (and TATTOOS) - VI

Tolkien's worlds were birthed out of his love of language and his work at creating new ones. Enter into discussions surrounding Tolkien's languages.

Official TENGWAR Transcription Thread (and TATTOOS) - VI

Postby Isildilmë » Fri Jul 17, 2015 1:20 pm

Hi everybody and welcome to OTTT #6 !

I still didn't have the time to update my introduction, so I'll ask every new poster to read the intro of the OTTT #4 before posting something.

Don't repeat the requests that were post in the last thread, I have them in note, and I'll put the transcriptions here when they are ready.

Actually there are important delays, I have to organize many things in my life (yeah, I actually have a life ! haha), and I'm sorry about it. I work on that point.
Concerning the Official Tengwar Transcription Thread - VI
To all the newbees, Welcome to TORC !
Before posting anything on this thread, READ THE INTRODUCTION. For now, I didn't have the time to update the intro, so I let you read the intro of thread #IV here.

If you have any questions, feel free to ask in the threads or by email (isildilme@hotmail.com - write "Tengwar" somewhere in the subject in case you fall in my junkmail, because if I don't know, I wont open the message !). Note that I don't accept transcription requests by email, you have to post them here !

You can address yourself to me in French, Spanish or English as you wish.

Special message : I have now two precious sons. They are my priorities, and an additional explanation for the delays in my answers. I WILL answer you... but you might have to wait. Thank you for your comprehension.
Isildilmë
Devoted to the Sheen

Re: Official TENGWAR Transcription Thread (and TATTOOS) - VI

Postby Isildilmë » Fri Jul 17, 2015 1:20 pm

[keeping this post to complete the introduction if needed]
Before posting anything on this thread, READ THE INTRODUCTION. For now, I didn't have the time to update the intro, so I let you read the intro of thread #IV here.

If you have any questions, feel free to ask in the threads or by email (isildilme@hotmail.com - write "Tengwar" somewhere in the subject in case you fall in my junkmail, because if I don't know, I wont open the message !). Note that I don't accept transcription requests by email, you have to post them here !

Special message : I have now two precious sons. They are my priorities, and an additional explanation for the delays in my answers. I WILL answer you... but you might have to wait. Thank you for your comprehension.
Isildilmë
Devoted to the Sheen

Postby Isildilmë » Fri Jul 17, 2015 1:48 pm

As promised, my reactions and answers to the most recent posts of the preceeding thread :

AlyxPayne : it was indeed TA-I+B font ! no problem !

candenizli4 : hmmm, you already posted that ! But you are not to blame, you might think that I forgot you, because it was long ago. You are the next in my list.

UnequivocalGrace : just a quick question : Tengwar italic is not a font… there is a missing word in the middle ! Go back in the introduction (link in my signature).

Mariad03 : you can go ahead with this transcription, it’s good ! :)

Kimberry : Sorry for this delay ! You are the 2nd on my list now. Wont be long. But is it already too late ? I would like to have it done for Monday… I hope it’s ok… and don’t worry, I understand your post and what you mean, and I'm the first to blame myself about the delays.

Lothario : it’s ok now ;)

kzinff : how nice are you to tell me this :). It will be a pleasure to help. If I have questions about Portuguese when I’ll be working on the names, I’ll tell you, but I already did Portuguese transcriptions in the past, should be ok !

Raw2015 : Perfect ! Sorry about Miami, you might already be gone as it was over 10 days ago… but you’ll have a good reason for another trip ;)

Ayurwen : You ask for Tengwar Annatar and Tengwar tehtar, but the last is not a font. If you are just asking me to use a Tengwar/tehtar mode, no problem, but if you are talking about a font, please check the name in the introduction (line in my signature) to be sure that I know what you want.

sarahannmichelle : perfect !

maxehren : perfect. I kept just the first sentence, as you suggested in your answer to Alma

bradwz :

slowly : Bien sûr ! Et merci de t’informer, je vais beaucoup mieux, mais c’est le genre de peine qui persiste toujours un peu.

And the list of the pending requesters :

candenizli4
    Kimberry
    Laura_Lou28
    Sanne29
    alottaroses
    Eas03
    fitluk1093
    !ISAIAH!
    LauraLúthien
    wgd05260
    Peppermint
    Malus
    Lothario
    kdickson12
    Miss_Piggy
    niczero
    Kortoso
    AlyxPayne
    candenizli4
    UnequivocalGrace
    kzinff
    Raw2015
    Ayurwen
    sarahannmichelle
    maxehren
    bradwz
    slowly

Isildilmë
Devoted to the Sheen

Postby Isildilmë » Mon Jul 20, 2015 1:48 pm

For candenizli4 :

Image Click on the image for regular size

Isildilmë
Devoted to the Sheen

Postby Isildilmë » Mon Jul 20, 2015 1:48 pm

For Kimberry :

Isildilmë
Devoted to the Sheen

Postby Isildilmë » Mon Jul 20, 2015 1:49 pm

For Laura_Lou28 : I don’t remember what I told you before but there are many “good” ways to write these words, according to the interpretation of the rules that Tolkien gave us (because even him changed many times the way English can be written with Tengwar). Here is one.

Isildilmë
Devoted to the Sheen

Postby Isildilmë » Tue Jul 21, 2015 8:56 am

!ISAIAH!, working on your transcription, I realised that you didn't tell me what font you wanted (or maybe did I I miss the information ?!). Waiting for this to complete.

Isildilmë
Devoted to the Sheen

Postby hukan » Tue Jul 21, 2015 5:38 pm

Hi, it'd be great if you could please help me with this :o

I would like to have a tattoo of my parents name in elvish language, because of my love for LOTR & my parents.
Here's my request:
1. Leif and Laila
2. Quenya
3. TA-I & TA-R

Thank you very much in advance!
hukan
Petitioner to the Council

Postby wetterlicht » Wed Jul 22, 2015 3:49 am

Good Day Isildilmë,
Having traveled around half the globe to meet them, I'm looking to make a present to some of my Australian friends before traveling back home to Switzerland. Given that they are big fan of Tolkien's works, my idea was to print them shirts with their names in Tengwar.
Once I startet looking into Tengwar however, I was quickly overwhelmed with all the different approaches and modes and stuff. :lol:

Using the Tengwar Transcriber in English mode I got these results:

I would love to have your opinion on whether these are good or not. If not would you please transcribe them for me?

Names: Kahlia, Dan, Joel, Nathan, Shani
Language: English
Font: TA-R & TA-I
If you need any additional information (e.g. pronounciation) please let me know.

Thanks a lot!
wetterlicht

Postby Kimberry » Wed Jul 22, 2015 8:02 am

Hey Isildilme! :))

Thank you so much for the transcriptions!! They are perfect, you made me very happy!! :)
It's not too late at all, I was able to push time a little bit. I'm very thankful that you used your time to help me! <3

Have a wonderful day! :)
Kimberry

Postby Isildilmë » Wed Jul 22, 2015 10:12 am

hukan, your post gives the impression that you read the introduction, but a comprehension problem seems to remain... you say you want the names in the Elvish language. This is not what I do here. I just write them with the Elvish script. If you want a translation first, you have to visit the appropriate thread. If you just want a transcription, then I'll be able to help you, but you have to tell me in what language the names are for you. Please go back to the introduction if this is not clear, and if you have questions post them here :)

wetterlicht, most of these transcriptions are right. About Joel, I would write the first letter a different way. The tengwa actually used is the one in phonetic transcriptions for the sound of the "g" in "beige" or the "s" in "pleasure". If that is what you want for that name, then it's ok. And for Nathan, the second "a" doesn't appear in the transcription. If it's because you wanted it that way to express the schwa sound (as the "e" of "taken"), then it's not a problem. But if you want it to appear, there should be a 3-dots symbol over the last tengwa, as there is one on the second. So now you tell me : with these explanation are you ok with the names, or do you want me to change them ? And if you want me to do them, do you prefer a transcription that sticks to the original orthography of the names as I use to do ?

Kim, I'm so happy it wasn't too late ! Sorry again for the delay !

Isildilmë
Devoted to the Sheen

Postby Isildilmë » Wed Jul 22, 2015 10:58 am

For Sanne29 :

Isildilmë
Devoted to the Sheen

Postby Isildilmë » Wed Jul 22, 2015 10:59 am

For alottaroses : Your request was a bit more complex than I thought at the beginning (or it’s maybe just that as a perfectionist, I make everything complicated !). I end with 3 suggestions for the English quote, as you asked me (by email) to stick to a purely phonetic transcription. So the first two lines represent the transcription of the quote as it is shown between parenthesis. But I wasn’t fully satisfied, because with our regular Tehtar transcription mode, there is only one “a” and one “o”, but the “a” in “all” and “that” is clearly not the same, as for the “o” in “gold”, “does”, “not”, etc. But many people saying that they respect the phonetic transcribe that way, so you might decide that it’s ok for you. As I wanted to offer you something else, I did the next two lines. There I used different symbols to represent the sounds. I chose the symbols from the Parma Eldalamberon XX, a publication of Tolkiens notes on Tengwar that was published a few years ago. It shows some of the many ways that Tolkien invented to use the Tengwar. There was a text in this showing a possibility of how to express all the vowels of English with tehtar (the symbols above or under the tengwar). But I didn’t use it on everything, because that would mean to change the symbols for the other vowels of the quote, because at the time Tolkien wrote that note, he used to reverse the way he wrote the “u” and “o” when compare to his later works, and I didn’t want to mix everything. Even with that, I’m quite satisfied with the result. For the two last lines, I used the fully and [let say] final phonetic mode that Tolkien presented through the same publication, with a full mode (using more tengwar and almost no tehtar). The look is different and if you are keen to tehtar, you might dislike it, but I can tell that it respect full one of Tolkien’s modes for phonetic transcriptions. And there would be other ways, of course.

Could you follow all of this ? It can become quite complicated, and as English is not my language, I may not explain it the most simple way ! If you have questions, just ask !

For the Quenya version there was no such hesitation :)

Isildilmë
Devoted to the Sheen

Postby Isildilmë » Wed Jul 22, 2015 11:03 am

For Eas03 :

Isildilmë
Devoted to the Sheen

Postby Isildilmë » Wed Jul 22, 2015 11:03 am

For fitluk1093 :

Isildilmë
Devoted to the Sheen

Postby Isildilmë » Wed Jul 22, 2015 11:05 am

For LauraLúthien :

Isildilmë
Devoted to the Sheen

Postby Isildilmë » Wed Jul 22, 2015 11:05 am

For wgd05260 :

Note that I didn’t do the last one because the only difference was a capital letter, and there are no capital letters in Tengwar.

In Tengwar I usually use dots at mid height (·) or dashes (-) between the day-month-year. The former represent English “,” or “-“, and the latter, English “;”. I don’t think it will affect the meaning, so you may choose the one with the look you prefer !

Isildilmë
Devoted to the Sheen

Postby wetterlicht » Wed Jul 22, 2015 7:10 pm

Hi Isildilmë,
Thank you for the quick and in-depth response! Given that I didn't make any of the choices that you mentioned consciously, I would love for you to transcribe the names for me in your style. If I could add their last name (Ferguson) to my request, that would be great. Thanks so much!
wetterlicht

Postby !ISAIAH! » Thu Jul 23, 2015 4:41 am

Hey Isildilmë. I think it the easiest way to tell you what font I want you to use is to send you a picture of the previous tattoos. I will send the pic to your email now.
:)
!ISAIAH!
Ringbearer

Postby hukan » Thu Jul 23, 2015 8:47 am

Oh, I must have misunderstood :shock:
The names are in Norwegian. I'm afraid I don't quite follow you, but if I'm not mistaken this should be the request:

1. Leif and Laila
2. Norwegian*
3. TA-I & TA-R

*If I'm wrong you could probably use English :)
Thank you very much in advance!
hukan

Postby RebzEmz » Thu Jul 23, 2015 3:33 pm

Can someone give me the translation for...

All that is gold does not glitter
Not all those who wander are lost

Thank you :)
RebzEmz

Postby Laura_Lou28 » Sat Jul 25, 2015 1:59 am

Thanks so much!
It's perfect :)
I know there are loads of different variations of transcribing words but yours looks exactly like 3 others I've found so I feel like I can get it tattooed without worrying it's wrong!
Thanks so much for the transcription, I know it must take up a lot Of your time doing these for people
Laura_Lou28

Postby wetterlicht » Sat Jul 25, 2015 10:29 pm

Hi Isildilmë. I had another go at the transcriptions myself, trying to fix what you had pointed out in your comment. I would be great if you could briefly let me know whether those are okay now. If so, I won't be needing your transcription. Thank you!

Kahlia Ferguson

Dan Ferguson

Joel Ferguson

Nathan Ferguson

Shani Ferguson
wetterlicht

Postby Isildilmë » Mon Jul 27, 2015 6:25 am

wetterlicht wrote:Hi Isildilmë. I had another go at the transcriptions myself, trying to fix what you had pointed out in your comment. I would be great if you could briefly let me know whether those are okay now. If so, I won't be needing your transcription. Thank you!

Joel Ferguson

Only remaining comment : for Joel, I would put the "e" above the "l"... so the first two tengwar don't change, the third disappears and the tehtar is placed over the last. The rest is perfect !

Isildilmë
Devoted to the Sheen

Postby wetterlicht » Mon Jul 27, 2015 6:57 am

Hi Isildilmë. Thank you very much for your efforts, I really appreciate it!
Someone had suggested that the s in Ferguson should be a silme instead of a silme nuquerna in English Mode, but opinions seem to differ and I think silme nuquerna looks a lot nicer :lol:

Anyway, thanks again, Im sure my friends will be thrilled!
wetterlicht

Postby ninque-elen » Mon Jul 27, 2015 10:36 am

Hello Isildilmë,

When I was at a very dark and difficult point in my life my brother gave me this wonderful book to read....which was of course The Lord of the RIngs. It helped me through that time and has been with me ever since. I carry it in my heart and when I was studying literature I wrote my thesis about it. For me it only makes sense to have a tattoo from this wonderful work on my ankle. Therefor I want to ask you
to transcribe the following sentence out of Quenya for me: Cilmelwa erinqua ná ita carilwë i lúmessë i men antaina ná (which means: only we can decide what to do with the time given to us) and I have chosen the following fonts:

TA - R+B
TQ - R
TS - R

Thanks so much all ready,
Dana
ninque-elen

Postby Isildilmë » Mon Jul 27, 2015 2:09 pm

ninque, it's perfect for me :)

wetterlich, concerning the use of Silmë and Silmë Nuquerna : the normal use is Silmë, except when we have to put a tehta above, then the Nuquerna version is better. All of this comes from JRRT himself (even if he also used Silmë with a tehta above in many occasions). So be confident with your Ferguson ;)

Isildilmë
Devoted to the Sheen

Postby Sanne29 » Tue Jul 28, 2015 11:52 am

Hello Isildilmë

Thank you very much for the transcription. :D
Sanne29

Postby Isildilmë » Thu Jul 30, 2015 12:57 pm

Question for Lothario : I was about to work on your request, but I see that you gave me a different sentence in your 2 posts :

Gin gorin pe drauthathon len gerithon acharn am len.

and later :

Gin gorin pe drauthathon gin gerithon acharn am len

Just want to be sure that the last is the good one !

Isildilmë
Devoted to the Sheen

Postby wgd05260 » Sun Aug 02, 2015 2:59 am

Hi Isildilme!

Thank you for this. Say hello to your baby for me. Take care always :)
wgd05260

Next

Return to Language