Official TENGWAR Transcription Thread (and TATTOOS) - VI

Tolkien's worlds were birthed out of his love of language and his work at creating new ones. Enter into discussions surrounding Tolkien's languages.

Re: Official TENGWAR Transcription Thread (and TATTOOS) - VI

Postby emmabunny » Wed Aug 05, 2015 4:42 am

Hello Isildilme,
Firstly, Congratulations on your Son!

Secondly, I was just wondering if you could please help me with a transcription? I have been to the translation thread and had the following translated - unfortunately we were unable to find an appropriate word for "adventure" so we might just have to put English in as part of the transcription? In English it should say:
be brave, true, strong and free
find adventure. feel everything. be here

So what we were able to translate is as follows:

no beren, thand, belt a lain
felo naid bain. No sí.

So possibly:

no beren, thand, belt a lain
hiro adventure. felo naid bain. No sí.

Would you mind transcribing both versions of the above (the one with "adventure" and the one without) into TA-I and TEca-R for me?

Thank you so much for your time!

Emma :)
emmabunny
Petitioner to the Council

Postby Almatolmen » Thu Aug 06, 2015 3:42 pm

RebzEmz, this is not the place to ask for a translation. There are Quenya and Sindarin threads for that. Unless, of course, you meant transcription.
Almatolmen
Mariner

Postby Almatolmen » Thu Aug 06, 2015 4:20 pm

emmabunny, I posted this already on the Sindarin thread. I hope it's helpful.

I'm looking for synonyms to help emmabunny. nothin so far in Sindarin, but there are some in what could be considered Sindarin analogs, such as:

Gnomish
gwionert
n. deed of valour
[GL/44.7901] Group: Eldamo. Published 2015-07-29 13:27:02 by Eldamo Import

Sindarin
valour name gorn [gyrn]

Noldorin 5^mY7T5
cardh
n. deed, feat
[Ety/362] Group: Hiswelókë's Sindarin Dictionary. Published 2011-10-11 20:08:48 by imported
carth
n. deed, feat
[Ety/362] Group: Hiswelókë's Sindarin Dictionary. Published 2011-10-11 20:08:48 by imported

Sindarin
cardh [cerdh] name deed, house, building
cared [cerid] name doing, making

Gnomish
igol
adj. exciting; excitable
[GL/50.1901] Group: Eldamo. Published 2015-07-29 13:27:57 by Eldamo Import

Sindarin
bold adj. beren
bold adj. cand [caind]

Bold deeds? Cerid caind?
Almatolmen
Mariner

Postby zivkica » Fri Aug 07, 2015 5:58 am

Hello Isildilmë.

Can you do the transcription of this quote:
A lion doesn't concern himself with the opinions of sheep!

It's on english.
the fonts I would like to see is
TA-I
TA-I+B
TC-I
and of course I saw "All that glitter" that you repost for nykie, so if you dont mind to do also the quote with that font(i dont know that that font is)

Thanks a lot.
zivkica

Postby Almatolmen » Fri Aug 07, 2015 6:00 am

For emmabunny:

Re: The Official Sindarin Translation Thread II
by Xandarien » 07 Aug 2015 07:04
Bold deeds = Cairth verin or Cairth gaind (It may take the irregular plural Certh in the same way its opposite úgarth = sin, bad deed does, but it isn't stated).

A lot of the Gnomish/Golodogrin words had their roots/words reused for other things later on.

Xandarien
Rider of the Mark

Re: The Official Sindarin Translation Thread II
by Almatolmen » 07 Aug 2015 12:49
For "find bold deeds":

rada
find a way
rada- (make a way) (i rada, idh radar)

× Unverified or debatable content.
[Parviphith] Published 2012-11-16 22:33:57 by Parviphith Import

rad- vb. find a way, make a way
râd [raid] name path, track
rada- vb. find a way, make a way

find vb. hir-
find vb. tov-
find a way, make a way vb. rad-
find a way, make a way vb. rada-

hunt vb. fara- (phrase! to hunt for?)

run vb. nor- (in a phrase like run after?)

ban-
to meet, come up against
[PE17/016.2303] Group: Eldamo. Published 2015-07-29 13:23:16 by Eldamo Import

govad-
v. to meet
[mae govannen LotR/I:XII, Letters/308] Etym. "to walk together". Group: Hiswelókë's Sindarin Dictionary. Published 2011-10-11 20:09:23 by imported
Almatolmen
Mariner

Postby Lothario » Fri Aug 07, 2015 9:15 am

Ohh... thanks for checking! I didn't even realise they were different. The second one would be choice, thanks!
Lothario

Postby horstealer » Fri Aug 07, 2015 10:37 am

Hi everyone Im new around here but i have been following these threads for a long time.
I want my grandfathers favourite word to be tattoed on my arm.

The word is: "Melem" in tengwar transcripted way

Its hard to explain its meaning because the word is very old and comes from his village but i know it is an Turkish word.
My grandfather died like 8 years ago and i want to carry this word as a signature of him, like a legacy.

If you can help with the transcription i will be very thankful.

(Forgive me if my grammar has troubles :) )
horstealer

Postby UnequivocalGrace » Mon Aug 17, 2015 4:11 pm

Isildilmë wrote:

UnequivocalGrace : just a quick question : Tengwar italic is not a font… there is a missing word in the middle ! Go back in the introduction (link in my signature).

[/list]

I am so terribly sorry for misreading the instructions! May I please have the quote translated in TA-I ?
Thank you again so much for your time, Isildilmë! :)
UnequivocalGrace

Postby Duramis86 » Mon Aug 17, 2015 11:55 pm

Hiya Isildilmë!

Wow, loving your work. Was wondering if I can request a transcribe for the below phrase in TA-R and TA-R+B?

Pado n'estel a ú na chened (Got the verse "Walk by faith and not by sight" translated into Sindarian)

Thank you! :)
Duramis86

Postby Almatolmen » Tue Aug 18, 2015 6:37 pm

Duramis86, I was just about to ask on the Sindarin thread if you'd be interested in having your phrase transcribed and link you to both IV (for the Introduction) and here. I happened to see that you were the last poster on this thread. Great minds, friend!
Almatolmen
Mariner

Postby Almatolmen » Tue Aug 18, 2015 6:53 pm

horsetealer, I was curious about what melem might mean, so I looked it up on Google. Strangely, I couldn't find anything in Turkish, only Croatian and Serbian, though there was some indication that the word might have been borrowed from Turkish. In those languages it means balm or basalm.

This makes no difference for Isildilmë's transcription, but could you satisfy my curiosity, please?

BTW, if that's correct, it could be translated into Quenya:

laivë noun "ointment" (LIB2)

And:
suctë ("k") "resin, gum"; read *suhtë if the word is to be used in LotR-style Quenya, since Tolkien decided that ct becomes ht in Quenya. (QL:86)

Or Sindarin:

salve. glaew (i laew), no distinct form in pl, but with article in glae

For such a narrow set of concepts, it seems it was important to JRRT, since he has a varied set of words in several of his languages connected to it, including:

Qenya súke n. resinous tree, pine or fir [QL/086.9201]

Gnomish thug n. resinous tree, pine or fir [GL/73.7101]

Balsam (also: turpentine) is the resinous exudate (or sap), which forms on certain kinds of trees and shrubs. Balsam (from Hebrew bosem בֹּשֶׂם, "spice", "perfume") owes its name to the biblical Balm of Gilead.

Balsam of Mecca
The liquid balsam called Balsam of Mecca is extracted from the tree Commiphora gileadensis (synonym: Commiphora opobalsamum) It is designated in the Bible by various names: bosem, besem, ẓori, nataf, and, in rabbinic literature, kataf, balsam, appobalsamon, afarsemon. It was used as a perfume and as a drug.

It was extracted both as the volatile component of the sap of the tree, and by boiling the stems and leaves. It was the only tropical, and the most expensive, spice grown in Israel. It was known to Pliny (Historia Naturalis 12:116; 13.18) as opobalsamum.

Arab
The balsam, carried originally, says Arab tradition, from Yemen by the Queen of Sheba, as a gift to Solomon, and planted by him in the gardens of Jericho, was brought to Egypt by Cleopatra, and planted at Ain-Shemesh, in a garden which all the old travellers, Arab and Christian, mention with deep interest.

The Egyptian town of Ain Shams was renowned for its balsam-garden, which was cultivated under the supervision of the government. During the Middle Ages the balsam-tree is said to have grown only here, though formerly it had also been a native plant in Syria. According to a Coptic tradition known also by the Muslims, it was in the spring of Ayn Shams that Mary, the mother of Jesus, washed the clothes of the latter on her way back to Palestine after her flight to Egypt. From that time onwards, the spring was beneficent, and during the Middle Ages balsam-trees could only produce their precious secretion on land watered by it. The story is reminiscent of Christian legends about the Fountain of the Virgin in Jerusalem.

Prosper Alpinus relates that forty plants were brought by a governor of Cairo to the garden there, and ten remained when Belon travelled in Egypt, but only one existed in the 18th century, and in the 19th century there appeared to be none.

There's another interesting connection:

Herod the Great owned several lucrative estates near Jericho that produced balsam for medicine, perfumes, and incense as well as groves of olive trees that grew olives renowned throughout the Mediterranean basin and widely exported. Cleopatra wanted those estates for their income. So after she married Julius Caesar, despite the fact that he was allied with Herod, he transferred title to her. After Caesar died, Mark Anthony made sure she kept them. Only after their defeat were they returned to Herod's ownership.
Almatolmen
Mariner

Postby horstealer » Wed Aug 19, 2015 3:09 pm

Thank you for your attention Almatolmen, i will try my best to explain the meaning.

My grandfather used this word for the situations he liked, found good.

For example; you got a new haircut and he saw you, he could use this as is appreciation.

I have never heard melem in Croatian or Serbian but i dont think the meanings are matching.

I did some research about tengwar and tried to transcribe but I'm not sure if thats true :?
horstealer

Postby Almatolmen » Thu Aug 20, 2015 7:30 am

I'm not being insistent about this, but there is a metaphorical meaning for balm that could fit:

something that has a comforting, soothing, or restorative effect.
"the murmur of the water can provide balm for troubled spirits"
synonyms: relief, comfort, ease, succor, consolation, cheer, solace
"balm for troubled spirits"

I just realized that you never said what language was spoken in your grandfather's village. It might help me in my research to know.
Almatolmen
Mariner

Postby horstealer » Fri Aug 21, 2015 7:56 am

They speak Turkish in the village but with a different accent ofcourse not like the cityfolk.

Balm is used for the things can restore inner peace if i didnt get it wrong.

Melem is like expressing a satisfaction. But the two words have similarities, as you said one of the balms meanings is cheer and melem can mean that too

Please feel free to ask anything if i can help you with your research
horstealer

Postby Shanna » Fri Aug 21, 2015 9:27 am

Hi there!

I would like to have "Friend of the heart" and "Amie de mon coeur" (French) translated to Tengwar.
Preferably in Italic, if that is an option.. Otherwise I'm happy with what I'll get :)

Thank you so much!

PS: Congratz on your baby boy!
Last edited by Shanna on Fri Aug 21, 2015 9:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Shanna

Postby Isildilmë » Fri Aug 21, 2015 9:31 am

I group ! I'm back from vacations. I see I have many posts to read, I'll start with that. I'll post my comments and questions and then if I have time today, maybe work on a few transcriptions.
Concerning the Official Tengwar Transcription Thread - VI
To all the newbees, Welcome to TORC !
Before posting anything on this thread, READ THE INTRODUCTION. For now, I didn't have the time to update the intro, so I let you read the intro of thread #IV here.

If you have any questions, feel free to ask in the threads or by email (isildilme@hotmail.com - write "Tengwar" somewhere in the subject in case you fall in my junkmail, because if I don't know, I wont open the message !). Note that I don't accept transcription requests by email, you have to post them here !

You can address yourself to me in French, Spanish or English as you wish.

Special message : I have now two precious sons. They are my priorities, and an additional explanation for the delays in my answers. I WILL answer you... but you might have to wait. Thank you for your comprehension.
Isildilmë
Devoted to the Sheen

Postby Isildilmë » Fri Aug 21, 2015 10:52 am

hukan : the last version of your request is correct :) And I will propably use English mode, indeed, as I have no mode for Norwegian. The result will be very good anyway !

RebzEmz : So… as Alma said, if you want a translation, you have to go to another thread (see the introduction linked in my signature to understand this)… or did you mean transcription ? I wait for this answer to see if I put you in my list :)

Laura_Lou28 : I’m happy about this ! Good luck ! Share a picture of the result with us !

emmabunny : I will do both of the sindarin quotes you ask.

zivkica : no problem for your request, except the part in which you refere to a transcription I reposted… it’s quite difficult for me to have to search back in transcriptions (you know I did thousand of them !) if you don’t provide a link… but I’m right, it was Tengwar Annatar italic, and it’s in your list already, so it will be ok.

horstealer : very interesting discussion you had with Alma ! :) I have a remaining question : did you choose one (or a few) font(s) ? You didn’t mention it. See the introduction linked in my signature.

Duramis86 : no problem !

Shanna : First, thank you ! And then, please check the introduction (link in my signature) to see the font options. Pick one precise font (or a few ones) in the list !
Before posting anything on this thread, READ THE INTRODUCTION. For now, I didn't have the time to update the intro, so I let you read the intro of thread #IV here.

If you have any questions, feel free to ask in the threads or by email (isildilme@hotmail.com - write "Tengwar" somewhere in the subject in case you fall in my junkmail, because if I don't know, I wont open the message !). Note that I don't accept transcription requests by email, you have to post them here !

Special message : I have now two precious sons. They are my priorities, and an additional explanation for the delays in my answers. I WILL answer you... but you might have to wait. Thank you for your comprehension.
Isildilmë
Devoted to the Sheen

Postby horstealer » Fri Aug 21, 2015 3:16 pm

Hi Isildilme! I saw it just now and congratulations for your son! :)

I looked to the fonts to be fully sure, and i think TA-I would be great!

Looking forward for your respond, thank you so much by the way it means a lot to me :)
horstealer

Postby Shanna » Sun Aug 23, 2015 7:02 am

Whoops, so sorry about that.. I'm what you refer to as " a newbee" :)

Let's try again:
I'm looking for "Amie de mon coeur" (French) and maybe "Meldo i endas" (Quenya) in TA, italic and italic bold.

I had it translated to Quenya as well, so I would love to see how that one would come out in Tengwar!

Thanks a lot!
Shanna

Postby Isildilmë » Mon Aug 24, 2015 11:08 am

Horstealer, perfect !

Shanna, don't worry, most of people here are newbees ;) Your request is now complete, thank you. Do I understand that you don't need the English version anymore ? Just the French and Quenya ones ? No problem. For French (which is my language), I adapted a mode so we can write it with Tengwar.

Isildilmë
Devoted to the Sheen

Postby Isildilmë » Mon Aug 24, 2015 11:12 am

For !ISAIAH! :

Image Click on the image for regular size

Isildilmë
Devoted to the Sheen

Postby Isildilmë » Mon Aug 24, 2015 11:12 am

For Peppermint :

For Aotearoa, I had to separe a bit the two last tengwar (letters), because the tehtar (the symbols above) were one ove the other.

I have a different mode for German and Dutch, so I did both. I’m not the one who created the modes, and I dislike what they propose in Dutch for “eu”, but I used it anyway. I prefer the German versions, which can be read “Neuseeland” even for someone who don’t know this specific mode, but knows a bit about Tengwar.

Isildilmë
Devoted to the Sheen

Postby Isildilmë » Mon Aug 24, 2015 11:15 am

For Malus :

In Tengwar I usually use dots at mid height (·) or dashes (-) between the day-month-year. The former represent English “,” or “-“, and the latter, English “;”. I don’t think it will affect the meaning, so you may choose the one with the look you prefer !

Isildilmë
Devoted to the Sheen

Postby Isildilmë » Mon Aug 24, 2015 11:15 am

For Lothario :

Isildilmë
Devoted to the Sheen

Postby Isildilmë » Mon Aug 24, 2015 11:16 am

For kdickson12 :

Isildilmë
Devoted to the Sheen

Postby Isildilmë » Mon Aug 24, 2015 11:22 am

I think that the list of the pending requests is now :

Miss_Piggy
    niczero
    Kortoso
    AlyxPayne
    candenizli4
    UnequivocalGrace
    kzinff
    Raw2015
    Ayurwen
    sarahannmichelle
    maxehren
    bradwz
    slowly
    hukan
    wetterlicht
    RebzEmz
    ninque-elen
    emmabunny
    zivkica
    horstealer
    Duramis86
    Shanna

mmm, well... long enough !

Isildilmë
Devoted to the Sheen

Postby Shanna » Tue Aug 25, 2015 2:08 am

Correct, Isildilmë! Drop the English. The French and the Quenya version will do!
I reckon you have other things to do than fulfilling my indecisive needs :)

Thanks!
Shanna

Postby Malus » Fri Aug 28, 2015 1:48 am

Hello Isildilme
I love my design Thankyou so much!! will send pics when
The tattoo is done :D
Malus

Postby thvaliati » Sun Aug 30, 2015 4:13 pm

Hello! How are you, Isildilmë? :)

I discovered his work here in the forum and I was very excited.

It'd be great if you could please help me with this!

I would like to have a tattoo of my parents name in elvish language (Carla and Carlos, in portuguese) and "You'll Never Walk Alone" too.

Here's my request:
1. "Carla e Carlos" (TA-R), (TA-I+B) (TEca-R) (TGka-R) (the language is portuguese).
2. "You'll Never Walk Alone" (TA-R, TA-I+B) (TEca-R) (TGka-R)

Can you help me with this?

Thank you very much!!! :D :D
thvaliati

Postby Isildilmë » Mon Aug 31, 2015 6:46 am

Shanna, haha, no problem ! I just want to be sure that I understood your needs in the end ;)

Malus, I'm happy you love it ! I'll wait for the picture !

thvaliati, no problem, but I just want to be sure that you understand that I won't translate the requests in "elvish language", I just write them with elvish script. So the names will remain "Carla e Carlos" and the sentence will still be in English, just written with elvish letters. If it's ok for you, I'll add you to my list. But if you want them to be translated in an Elvish language, you have to do that step first visiting the appropriate thread. just tell me what you decide.

Isildilmë
Devoted to the Sheen

PreviousNext

Return to Language