Official TENGWAR Transcription Thread (and TATTOOS) - VI

Tolkien's worlds were birthed out of his love of language and his work at creating new ones. Enter into discussions surrounding Tolkien's languages.

Re: Official TENGWAR Transcription Thread (and TATTOOS) - VI

Postby Isildilmë » Sat Oct 03, 2015 10:30 am

For zivkica :

Image Click on the image for regular size
Concerning the Official Tengwar Transcription Thread - VI
To all the newbees, Welcome to TORC !
Before posting anything on this thread, READ THE INTRODUCTION. For now, I didn't have the time to update the intro, so I let you read the intro of thread #IV here.

If you have any questions, feel free to ask in the threads or by email (isildilme@hotmail.com - write "Tengwar" somewhere in the subject in case you fall in my junkmail, because if I don't know, I wont open the message !). Note that I don't accept transcription requests by email, you have to post them here !

You can address yourself to me in French, Spanish or English as you wish.

Special message : I have now two precious sons. They are my priorities, and an additional explanation for the delays in my answers. I WILL answer you... but you might have to wait. Thank you for your comprehension.
Isildilmë
Devoted to the Sheen

Postby Isildilmë » Sat Oct 03, 2015 10:30 am

For horstealer :

Before posting anything on this thread, READ THE INTRODUCTION. For now, I didn't have the time to update the intro, so I let you read the intro of thread #IV here.

If you have any questions, feel free to ask in the threads or by email (isildilme@hotmail.com - write "Tengwar" somewhere in the subject in case you fall in my junkmail, because if I don't know, I wont open the message !). Note that I don't accept transcription requests by email, you have to post them here !

Special message : I have now two precious sons. They are my priorities, and an additional explanation for the delays in my answers. I WILL answer you... but you might have to wait. Thank you for your comprehension.
Isildilmë
Devoted to the Sheen

Postby Isildilmë » Sat Oct 03, 2015 10:31 am

For Duramis86 :

Isildilmë
Devoted to the Sheen

Postby Isildilmë » Sat Oct 03, 2015 10:31 am

For Shanna :

You have two options for the French version. Both were made with a transcription mode I adapted for the language (it’s my mother tongue), and in the second I created a symbol specially for the “oe” combination in French (in “Coeur”), but as it is a bit unusual in Tengwar writing, I also offer you a more “regular” option, the first one.

Isildilmë
Devoted to the Sheen

Postby Sanne29 » Sun Oct 04, 2015 5:42 am

Hello Isildilmë,

I hope i can ask you for one more transcription
I have looked through old post to find the transcription,
found a few but not just quite right. Im sorry if i have
missed it.

I would like this in TA-I

"Home is behind, the world ahead,
and there are many paths to tread
through shadow to the edge of night,
Until the stars are all alight."

Thank you in advance
Sanne29
Petitioner to the Council

Postby Isildilmë » Mon Oct 05, 2015 8:08 am

Hi Sanne29 !
A quick glance to my "old" transcriptions made me find this one, which seems to correspond, and the font is the same... is it good for you ? Click on the image to access the regular size.

Isildilmë
Devoted to the Sheen

Postby Sanne29 » Tue Oct 06, 2015 10:59 am

Hi Isildilmë,

That is perfect, thank you very much. :D
Sanne29

Postby Abigail » Wed Oct 14, 2015 6:42 am

hi,

i want to do a tattoo in quenya style tengwar and it should read:
fin seneta

i wrote it, but i want to double check, here is the inscription:

could you please verify this?

thanks in advance :D
Abigail

Postby Isildilmë » Wed Oct 14, 2015 1:06 pm

Abigail : Bravo ! It reads what you meant to write, using a Quenya mode.

Good luck for the rest ! :D

Isildilmë
Devoted to the Sheen

Postby bdurocher » Fri Oct 16, 2015 9:03 am

Hi Isildilmë,

Thanks for your reply. I didn't see it in the post until now. Please treat as English. They are separate please.

Thanks!

Barry.

bdurocher : For the same reason I just told Graham, I have to use the English mode if the names are English. If you want them in the Quenya language, you have to ask for a translation in the appropriate thread (see the introduction post). But if you just want it in Tengwar directly, I’ll treat them as English. And just a quick question, do you want them together as posted “Alexander Durocher and Bryn Durocher” or separated “Alexander Durocher” and “Bryn Durocher” ?

Isildilmë wrote:I'm happy some of you came back to get their transcriptions and were satisfied with the results ! I'll wait for pictures !

adamortwein : Jenna-Marie (alias Xandarien here) is indeed what I would call a Sindarin expert :) ; she’s incredible ! And it will be a pleasure to help you with the transcription part. About the script of the Ring, I normally use Tengwar Annatar italic for this, but some people prefer Tengwar Cursive for its more “handwritten” style. See the introduction post for example of each font and let me know. I’m rarely asked for Cirth transcription, so I don’t have the English quote ready, but I’ll do it too.

Graham : only one of these is in fact accurate. You have to understand that each transcription mode correspond to a language, so you cannot write English in Tengwar using the Quenya or Sindarin mode, nor can you write Quenya with Sindarin mode. So the only good transcription you had is the Quenya word with Quenya mode (3rd). For the English word “renewed”, you have to use an English mode. Now if you have these transcriptions in a word file (in text format, not images), you can send the file to me by email and I’ll do the corrections and show you the result in Tengwar Annatar too, but if you don’t, I can just add you to my transcription list (and you’ll wait for your turn). Tell me what you think of this.

bdurocher : For the same reason I just told Graham, I have to use the English mode if the names are English. If you want them in the Quenya language, you have to ask for a translation in the appropriate thread (see the introduction post). But if you just want it in Tengwar directly, I’ll treat them as English. And just a quick question, do you want them together as posted “Alexander Durocher and Bryn Durocher” or separated “Alexander Durocher” and “Bryn Durocher” ?

Ouricygang : perfect ! But a quick question too… for some lines you added quotation marks, and other not… do you want me to put quotation marks in the transcriptions when you wrote some here ? Or I remove them all ?
bdurocher

Postby Turamarth » Fri Oct 23, 2015 10:26 pm

Hello!

First I would like to say that I cannot believe the amount of dedication you have! :o

If you could please transcribe these that would be amazing! (All in English)

Name- Loofah (<- my hedgehog :lol: )

And these quotes (without quotation marks)

"Never laugh at live dragons"

"Blessed are the legend-makers with their rhyme, of things not found within recorded time"

Fonts- TGka-R, TS-R

If you could do this it would be amazing! I'm actually just getting into it myself. Sorry if you've done these before but there was no way I could look through all the threads!

Thank You
Turamarth

Postby Logaems94 » Sat Oct 24, 2015 11:20 am

Hi everyone,

I would like to have a tattoo in Tengwar saying "unconditional love". I already got translations into Quenya and Sindarin from another Thread and tried on my own to transcribe it, so could you please take a look and probably correct it? I know it is a lot but it's also very repetitive.

Since there is no direct translation for "unconditional" I have several options:

Quenya:

"Love without boundaries"

Melmë landarenca
Melmë ú landaron
Melmë pelorenca
Melmë ú peloron

"Love without requirement"

Melmë neciqis
Melmë iqisenca
Melmë ú iqiso

Sindarin:

"Love without boundaries"

Meleth pen-'laind

(glaind = boundaries)

I don't know how to upload pictures from my PC, so I cannot show you my attempts, but I had a few issues I wasn't sure about. (I tried to write it by hand)
You could either just do the transcription (if that's easier for you) and ignore the following, or explain me some things :)

Does the ë look different than a normal e in Tengwar? It's only a small line so probably not...
Is a c in Quenya or Sindarin simply like a [k]?
Does the ` (accent grave) on the ù make it a long vowel?
Is it correct to transcribe a q as [kw]?
What about the hyphen - and the ' instead of g in glaind?

Font: Tengwar Annatar Italic or Italic Bold

Thank you so much for what you are doing here!!!
Logaems94

Postby ninque-elen » Tue Nov 03, 2015 1:33 pm

Thank you so much for the beautiful transcriptions!!
I am very happy with them and I truly hope that I can have them as a tattoo on my ankle very soon!

Its really nice of you to have done this!
ninque-elen

Postby Isildilmë » Mon Nov 09, 2015 12:11 pm

Just a quick entry to say that I'm still there... but with my son, pregnancy, part-time job, house, etc., and preparing the 2nd birthday party for my son, I'm quite busy ! I thought I could do a few transcriptions today, but I think it wont be possible. I'll try later in the week.

On a more long-term basis, I will have a few nights alone near the end of the month and I have the firm intention to clear all the pending requests by then... this doesn't mean I wont do anything in the meanwhile, but at least you can expect to have your transcritions within a few weeks.

Have a nice day ! I'll prepare stuff for the cake !

Isildilmë
Devoted to the Sheen

Postby Isildilmë » Tue Nov 10, 2015 11:25 am

Turamarth, no problem !

Logaems94 wrote:I don't know how to upload pictures from my PC, so I cannot show you my attempts, but I had a few issues I wasn't sure about. (I tried to write it by hand)
You could either just do the transcription (if that's easier for you) and ignore the following, or explain me some things :)

You can send me pictures by email if you wish. About the rest, I'll do the transcription AND answer your questions. I'll do that quickly here, and I suggest that you email me if you want to discuss more about these.

Logaems94 wrote:Does the ë look different than a normal e in Tengwar? It's only a small line so probably not...
Is a c in Quenya or Sindarin simply like a [k]?
Does the ` (accent grave) on the ù make it a long vowel?
Is it correct to transcribe a q as [kw]?
What about the hyphen - and the ' instead of g in glaind?

ë is exactly the same as e in Quenya. In roman letters we write ë at some places, like final "e", just to be sure that nobody thinks that it's a silent "e". Because in fact we could write "melme" or "melmë", no difference. So in Tengwar it's a normal "e".

no "k" needed in these languages, the "c" always indicates a "k" sound (except for example "ch", which is a different sound of course).

look well, it's an "accent aigu" "ú". And yes, this is how we indicate a long vowel.

The Quenya "qu" (or "q" alone in Qenya, an older Quenya version) indicates "kw" sound, and we transcribe it with tengwa #4, quesse (which looks like a "q" in fact !).

In Sindarin, the hyphen is normally not transcribed, but the two parts of the word are joined like in one word. And for the apostrophe, it depends on the mode you use. In the Tengwar-tehtar mode, we normally don't transcribe them, they just disappear. In Mode of Beleriand, they can be written with tengwa "halla", used for "h" in some modes but not in Sindarin.

Hoping that this helps ! When your turn comes, I'll post your transcriptions... but if you email me your transcription and that there is not much to correct, I may just send it by email more quickly.

Isildilmë
Devoted to the Sheen

Postby bdurocher » Tue Nov 10, 2015 12:01 pm

Thanks Isildilmë for letting us know. :)

Can anyone else help me please? I am running out of time and would appreciate the assistance.

Barry.

bdurocher wrote:Hi Isildilmë,

Thanks for your reply. I didn't see it in the post until now. Please treat as English. They are separate please.

Thanks!

Barry.

Isildilmë wrote:I'm happy some of you came back to get their transcriptions and were satisfied with the results ! I'll wait for pictures !

adamortwein : Jenna-Marie (alias Xandarien here) is indeed what I would call a Sindarin expert :) ; she’s incredible ! And it will be a pleasure to help you with the transcription part. About the script of the Ring, I normally use Tengwar Annatar italic for this, but some people prefer Tengwar Cursive for its more “handwritten” style. See the introduction post for example of each font and let me know. I’m rarely asked for Cirth transcription, so I don’t have the English quote ready, but I’ll do it too.

Graham : only one of these is in fact accurate. You have to understand that each transcription mode correspond to a language, so you cannot write English in Tengwar using the Quenya or Sindarin mode, nor can you write Quenya with Sindarin mode. So the only good transcription you had is the Quenya word with Quenya mode (3rd). For the English word “renewed”, you have to use an English mode. Now if you have these transcriptions in a word file (in text format, not images), you can send the file to me by email and I’ll do the corrections and show you the result in Tengwar Annatar too, but if you don’t, I can just add you to my transcription list (and you’ll wait for your turn). Tell me what you think of this.

Ouricygang : perfect ! But a quick question too… for some lines you added quotation marks, and other not… do you want me to put quotation marks in the transcriptions when you wrote some here ? Or I remove them all ?
bdurocher

Postby Corsair_Caruso » Wed Nov 11, 2015 11:07 am

Hello. I'm dropping in to get a transcription check of two short Tengwar excerpts. I believe these are in Quenya mode. The first should probably be gibberish, or mostly gibberish. The second I'm not sure, but I'm hoping you can tell me how both would transcribe into the Roman (English) alphabet.

I hope everything comes out as I want it to. After I receive a response, I have a cool story to share with everyone. :D

Corsair_Caruso
Citizen of Imladris

Postby Isildilmë » Wed Nov 11, 2015 6:48 pm

bdurocher, maybe you should email me to tell me more about this rush...

Corsair, if these are written with a Quenya mode, I read :
qulqussmíss (I do also believe it's gibberish !)
calaciro míri

Now tell us about that story !

Isildilmë
Devoted to the Sheen

Postby Corsair_Caruso » Wed Nov 11, 2015 7:56 pm

Well, I recently did some research for my dissertation at the Wade Center, which is one of the repositories for a large number of Tolkien's letters (all of those I saw were copies of the actual manuscripts, but still). In any case, Tolkien was writing to Donald Swann (composer of The Road Goes Ever On: A Song Cycle), and mentioned some Quenya calligraphy that was going to be put into the book. Tolkien wrote out the Tengwar in the manuscript as you see in the second line, but in the transcript of that letter (all the letters were transcribed as well as photocopied), the transcriber had typed the first line of Tengwar. I knew that this must have been a mistake, so I downloaded Tengwar Annatar, figured out the system, and transcribed the correct Tengwar. The archivist replaced the transcription with my corrected version immediately. And you've just confirmed that the Tengwar I used transliterated into Roman characters exactly as I thought they should. :D
Among other minor corrections to these transcripts, this was my first contribution to Tolkien Scholarship!
Corsair_Caruso
Citizen of Imladris

Postby Isildilmë » Thu Nov 12, 2015 12:21 pm

And a good contribution ! Bravo !
I did see a few errors of that kind in one of the Parma Eldalamberon, but sadly I lost the paper where I noted them. And it's the kind of error that you see only if you analyse the transcriptions letter by letter ! Well, maybe someday I see them again and contact them to notify the errors as you did !

Isildilmë
Devoted to the Sheen

Postby johnz15 » Tue Nov 17, 2015 6:50 am

Hello Isildilme

Could you please transcribe these : "If more people valued home above gold this world would be a merrier place" Thorin Oeakenshield

fonts : TA-I and TA-I+B

Maybe it´s somewhere on post but i cannot find. If you could do this it would be amazing :)

Thank You
johnz15

Postby Isildilmë » Tue Nov 17, 2015 12:25 pm

johnz15 : if I got well what you want, it’s everything in bold ? With the quotation mark and Thorin’s name ? Just to be sure. The rest is complete.

Isildilmë
Devoted to the Sheen

Postby Isildilmë » Tue Nov 17, 2015 12:33 pm

Some people emailed me asking in what position they were in my pending requests list. Here is the list :

thvaliati
    adamortwein
    Graham
    bdurocher
    Ouricygang
    Turamarth
    Logaems94
    johnz15

So I hope to clear everything by the end of the week. After that I'll try to work on older projects that I put on a side and on the update of the introduction that I'm suppose to prepare since... well... better not to think of this !

Isildilmë
Devoted to the Sheen

Postby johnz15 » Wed Nov 18, 2015 1:01 pm

Isildilmë wrote:johnz15 : if I got well what you want, it’s everything in bold ? With the quotation mark and Thorin’s name ? Just to be sure. The rest is complete.

Yes i want everything with quotation mark and Thorin name with this fonts TA-I and TA-I+B. But pls u can make without quotation mark if that not hard work i like to see it :) thx
johnz15

Postby aranthor » Sat Nov 21, 2015 12:52 am

bdurocher: since this is an emergency, here are my transcriptions.

I am assuming that the last name is French in origin and is pronounced \du-RO-sher\.

Alexander Durocher

Bryn Durocher

Hope this helps.
aranthor

Postby Isildilmë » Sat Nov 21, 2015 6:59 am

nice of you aran ! but bd and me organized everything by email. Well now he'll have the choice between two transcriptions ! :)

Isildilmë
Devoted to the Sheen

Postby bdurocher » Sat Nov 21, 2015 10:15 am

Thank-you Isildilmë for being so amazing!! Thank-you Aranthor for your help as well! So nice having great and caring people like yourselves on this site and in this world of ours!!!

Bdurocher
bdurocher

Postby Isildilmë » Sat Nov 21, 2015 8:16 pm

Wow ! I'm done ! Exhausted, but done ! It was much longer than I thought it would, in part because I'm also collecting my comments on an automatic transcriber of the net, to help to improve it... I use it to propose a draft, that I modify to correct it... the best it is, the less corrections I have to make and the faster I can post them !

I'll start to post the transcriptions in a moment.

Isildilmë
Devoted to the Sheen

Postby Isildilmë » Sat Nov 21, 2015 8:33 pm

For thvaliati :

Isildilmë
Devoted to the Sheen

Postby Isildilmë » Sat Nov 21, 2015 8:33 pm

For adamortwein : So I made everything in Tengwar Annatar italic (as on the Ring) and in Cirth, and I corrected the lyrics (some accents were missing, and that is quite important !) :

The 4 dots at each end of the sentence are optional, but I thought it was nice to use them (Tolkien did it on the title page of the LotR).

Isildilmë
Devoted to the Sheen

PreviousNext

Return to Language