Official TENGWAR Transcription Thread (and TATTOOS) - VI

Tolkien's worlds were birthed out of his love of language and his work at creating new ones. Enter into discussions surrounding Tolkien's languages.

Re: Official TENGWAR Transcription Thread (and TATTOOS) - VI

Postby DarkLittleHobbit » Sun Mar 06, 2016 8:02 am

Hello, I´m new in the forum, so I present myself; I´m Laura, Laitaine in the elvish language, if I have understand well:). I´m in this post seeking for help, after seeing the valuable habilities of the ones who are translating to tengwar all the requests. I have find it stunning; how did you get that control of the language? You have my most sincere applause.
What I wanted to ask is how it would be written in tengwar, both in Quenya and Sindarin (I personally prefer Quenya, but whatever you can do for me it´s alright:) ) one quote for a tattoo : "Proud Little Hobbit" or something like that. That´s the meaning I want, you can change something if it´s needed, I don´t need the exact words translated.
Your help would be really appreciated :) .

P.D: English is not my mother language, I´m sorry if I had done some mistakes.
DarkLittleHobbit
Petitioner to the Council

Postby Xandarien » Mon Mar 07, 2016 4:47 am

Are you wanting 'Proud Little Hobbit' translated into Quenya and Sindarin? (i.e. in Sindarin it would be Perian vladweg pîn = Proud little hobbit)
Xandarien
Rider of the Mark

Postby AriMoonshadow » Wed Mar 09, 2016 6:48 pm

Isildilmë wrote:For AriMoonshadow :

Image Click on the image for regular size

Thank you!! Congrats on your baby boy!! I hope you two are bonding well and you're getting enough sleep!! :)
AriMoonshadow

Postby Pityanë » Sun Mar 20, 2016 12:46 pm

Good evening!
Could you help me with transcriptions, any font, italic.

Paulina
Pityanë

Thank you very much
P.
Pityanë

Postby Isildilmë » Mon Mar 21, 2016 9:56 am

Hi ! Just a quick entry to give you some news. I seem to be into a never-ending pregnancy. I can hardly sleep and my all of my body is a pain, but normally withing 2 weeks everything should be over and I'll hold this lovely boy in my harms ! I keep my fingers crossed so that it could be in the next days... today, why not !

But in these conditions, I have not been able to work on transcriptions as I would have loved to. If I don't give birth in the next days I'll try to do a few.

Thank you for your comprehension.
Concerning the Official Tengwar Transcription Thread - VI
To all the newbees, Welcome to TORC !
Before posting anything on this thread, READ THE INTRODUCTION. For now, I didn't have the time to update the intro, so I let you read the intro of thread #IV here.

If you have any questions, feel free to ask in the threads or by email (isildilme@hotmail.com - write "Tengwar" somewhere in the subject in case you fall in my junkmail, because if I don't know, I wont open the message !). Note that I don't accept transcription requests by email, you have to post them here !

You can address yourself to me in French, Spanish or English as you wish.

Special message : I have now two precious sons. They are my priorities, and an additional explanation for the delays in my answers. I WILL answer you... but you might have to wait. Thank you for your comprehension.
Isildilmë
Devoted to the Sheen

Postby raysgranita » Mon Mar 21, 2016 11:58 pm

raysgranita : your request is getting me a but confuse. When I read it I understand that you ask me to change the name into Tengwar or Sindarin, depending on what is better for a tattoo… If I understood right, then it means that you understood wrong how it works :). I’ll ask you to read the introduction (link in my signature), so you’ll understand that Tengwar a script, an alphabet with which we can write all the languages we want, and that Sindarin is a language, just like English of French. So it is possible to change the names for their Sindarin “equivalents” if you go on the Sindarin thread (explained in the intro) and then to write them with tengwar, or directly to write them with tengwar keeping them in English (if they are in English. If not, you have to tell me what language you consider them to be). Then you have to choose a font you’ld like from the list.
If I understood wrong, then explain me again. My brain tends to work a bit slower when I arrive at the end of a pregnancy ! lol

sorry... just keep it in english and make a Tengwar transcription of the names Raymart and Jennifer

and by the way congratulations to you for the safe delivery of your boy :)
raysgranita

Postby Liveyourdash » Wed Mar 23, 2016 12:44 am

Hi there,

I was wondering if you could transcribe/translate "a ship in harbor is not what a ship is built for" into Quenya for me. Thank you! It's for a tattoo... I'm not sure what to ask from you but I saw in some of your replies you have it transcribed to how the final tattoo would look in the beautiful font
Liveyourdash

Postby Isildilmë » Wed Mar 23, 2016 11:23 am

T_Daugherty : Yes to everything. For the circle part, it might be easier to send it by email, so if you send me an email telling me who you are and what you asked (just because I receive many so that I don’t get confused !), we’ll save time when I’m done !

Mello-Drame : perfect ! I’ll just correct a word : “utúlië” (the accent).

DarkLittleHobbit : Thank you for your comment ! About the “how”, well, I’d say “reading, reading, reading, and practicing a lot”, and that by now I worked over all on Tengwar, which is a “mere” script, and a bit on Quenya, but not that much on the languages themselves, for I don’t have THAT much free time ! Now about your request, I’m not sure about what you want… is it a transcription into Tengwar, or first a translation into Sindarin and Quenya, and then written with Tengwar ? Have you read the introduction (link in my signature) ? Because I can only do the transcription part for you, as my friends from the other threads handle the language parts. Xandarien was nice enough to come here and tell you what it would be in Sindarin, but if you want it in Quenya too you have to go in the Quenya thread (as shown in the intro). Think about it, read that and then come back to me with the final request once it is in the language(s) you want. Don’t forget to tell me about the font(s) you’d like too ! :) And don’t worry about your language, English is not my language but people seem to accept the many imperfections of my speech ! What is your language ? (mine is French, and I also speak Spanish)

AriMoonshadow : Thank you for your feedback and wishes :)

Pityanë : You forgot to tell me about the language in which these are. Pityanë looks Quenya, but please confirm. And what about Paulina ? Do you want me to treat it as English, or as from another language ?

Liveyourdash : The first step you should take now is to read the introduction post of this thread (follow the link in my signature). Because you ask for translation and transcription, and the translation into Quenya part is not something I handle here. You have to go to the appropriate thread, get the translation, and when you are ready for the transcription you come back, and you tell me what font(s) you want. Everything is explained in the intro, so please read it and tell me if you have any questions.
Before posting anything on this thread, READ THE INTRODUCTION. For now, I didn't have the time to update the intro, so I let you read the intro of thread #IV here.

If you have any questions, feel free to ask in the threads or by email (isildilme@hotmail.com - write "Tengwar" somewhere in the subject in case you fall in my junkmail, because if I don't know, I wont open the message !). Note that I don't accept transcription requests by email, you have to post them here !

Special message : I have now two precious sons. They are my priorities, and an additional explanation for the delays in my answers. I WILL answer you... but you might have to wait. Thank you for your comprehension.
Isildilmë
Devoted to the Sheen

Postby Isildilmë » Wed Mar 23, 2016 12:15 pm

For ruzwildfire :

Isildilmë
Devoted to the Sheen

Postby Isildilmë » Wed Mar 23, 2016 12:16 pm

For Ivar82 : The higher resolution will be sent by email.

Isildilmë
Devoted to the Sheen

Postby Liveyourdash » Wed Mar 23, 2016 2:04 pm

Hi again, I'm sorry I definitely misunderstood the way this whole process works! So I posted on the translation page to get "a ship in harbor is not what a ship is built for" but I was reading through some of your posts and you said you can keep it in English but do the elvish script? If this is correct I'd love to see what that looks like! As far as fonts go I am very unsure of what is what but I see a lot of TI - A+B ?
Liveyourdash

Postby Pityanë » Wed Mar 23, 2016 4:05 pm

Hi Isildilmë ,

I'm sorry for complications.
Yes you're right. Pityanë is really Quenya and Paulina in English please.
TA-I

Thank you very much
Greetings from Czech republic
Pityanë

Postby Isildilmë » Thu Mar 24, 2016 11:20 am

Pityanë, thank you :)

Liveyourdash wrote:Hi again, I'm sorry I definitely misunderstood the way this whole process works! So I posted on the translation page to get "a ship in harbor is not what a ship is built for" but I was reading through some of your posts and you said you can keep it in English but do the elvish script? If this is correct I'd love to see what that looks like! As far as fonts go I am very unsure of what is what but I see a lot of TI - A+B ?

ok, so for now I'll put your request in my list for mere transcription, and when you have the translated quote, post them here and I'll add them to your request. For the fonts, the list is also in the introduction, with the abreviations too... I guess you are talking about TA-I+B, which means Tengwar Annatar, italic and bold, one of the most popular fonts here (a bit like on the Ring, but bold).

Isildilmë
Devoted to the Sheen

Postby Isildilmë » Thu Mar 24, 2016 1:59 pm

For raysgranita : I did it in Tengwar Annatar (regular and italic) as you didn't specify

Image Image

Isildilmë
Devoted to the Sheen

Postby Isildilmë » Thu Mar 24, 2016 2:00 pm

For T_Daugherty :

And I think that it's finally possible to post the circular transcription here without having to reduce the size too much... let's try, and if there is a problem just email me !

Isildilmë
Devoted to the Sheen

Postby Liveyourdash » Thu Mar 24, 2016 2:37 pm

Okay thank you so much for taking the time to do these! So translated it reads "Cirya hópassë ua manan cirya ná carna". Again, thank you, and sorry for being such a newb!
Liveyourdash

Postby siddharth » Thu Mar 24, 2016 9:54 pm

So good to see the thread up and running as good as before. :love:
Just wanted to peek in! :D
Love ya, Isil. :hug:
siddharth
Ranger of the North

Postby kiwiwin365 » Fri Mar 25, 2016 12:40 am

Hi there, just stumbled upon this thread. I am getting married later this year and my other half is Tolkien mad and was wanting to add a little something special to the day so if it is possible could I request the following (in english in Tengwar Annatar italic script):

always here for you

my heart and soul

stronger together

you complete me

.... thankyou very much and appreciate the input :)
kiwiwin365

Postby marijamarija123 » Wed Apr 06, 2016 4:29 am

Can anyone please translate this quote for me into elvish language: ''Words are our most inexhaustible source of magic'' ??? I found some sites for translation, but i'm not sure they're correct, so if anyone can help me, i want to tattoo this quote and i want to be sure. THANK YOU!
https://www.pinterest.com/pin/142496775687052296/ I founded this, and on the other place this: http://www.jenshansen.com/pages/online- ... translator , and the translation is different. :/
marijamarija123

Postby ruzwildfire » Sun Apr 10, 2016 12:09 pm

Thank you so much, Isildilmë! I hope your little boy is well and healthy :)
ruzwildfire

Postby Perica » Thu Apr 14, 2016 12:16 am

Hello Isildilmë :) Frst of all i am sorry for my bad spelling, and thank u so much for doing this :D

Can you please transcribe this Quenya line to TQ - I

If u can make 3 images, 1 is with full line that goes:

I lenda ua tyelë sís. Fírië ná exë tië ya mauya ilquenen lelya. I mista mistëfanwa Ambaro tolwë. Ar ilqua ahya telepta hyellenna. Ar tá cenilyes. Ninqui falassi, ar pella, haira laica nórë nu linta anarórë

The second would be with half of the line above and goes like:

I lenda ua tyelë sís. Fírië ná exë tië ya mauya ilquenen lelya. I mista mistëfanwa Ambaro tolwë

And the third with the rest of the line:

Ar ilqua ahya telepta hyellenna. Ar tá cenilyes. Ninqui falassi, ar pella, haira laica nórë nu linta anarórë.

The reason for 3 images is i would like tatto both of my arms with that line (frst half on left arm second half on the right arm) and in case i cant tatto my arms i would put full line on my back or something :D

Again thank u so much, i hope you and your child are all right :)
Last edited by Perica on Sun Apr 17, 2016 6:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Perica

Postby Almatolmen » Thu Apr 14, 2016 3:34 pm

marijamarija123, check the Language Forum for the Quenya and Sindarin threads (by Gladhaniel and Xandarian) to get help with any "Elvish" translations. This is a transcription only thread.
Almatolmen
Mariner

Postby Almatolmen » Thu Apr 14, 2016 3:58 pm

Perica, for myself, I've come to prefer mista mistëfanwa for two reasons: it actually means grey veil of fine rain while the other means silvery-grey veil of mist and because mistë is used in the Numenna translation of Into the West, which I believe was done by David Salo, the consulting linguist for the films.

Just my opinion. It's not too late to modify your request, I'm sure. Being busy with a second son means Isildilmë isn't working at full speed.

I also noticed that Salo used a conjugated form of ahya to translate change in the song, not vista.

You should have waited for Gladhaniel's comments and approval of my ideas before bringing the results here.
Almatolmen
Mariner

Postby Gladhaniel » Sat Apr 16, 2016 5:51 am

Hi Dilmë! :D

I already asked you to confirm a transcription of Quenya alassë for me. Now I was wondering whether you'd be so kind as to transcribe for me the equivalent in two other languages, please. :) It's for my mom's next tattoo!

First request
- Word: joy
- Language: English
- Font: Tengwar Annatar (italics)

Second request
- Word: joie
- Language: French
- Font: Tengwar Annatar (italics)

Thank you so much in advance! xx
Gladhaniel
Rider of the Mark

Postby stanleyfan777 » Wed Apr 20, 2016 7:46 am

Hello! I'm new to this site and very excited! I've been trying to complete my own transcription for a tattoo I'm working on, but yours are so much more beautiful than mine is turning out! Please if you wouldn't mind transcribing the below phrases from English to TA italics I'd appreciate it so much! Sorry there's a few similar ones, I haven't nailed down EXACTLY what I want it to say yet - it may depend on which looks the prettiest :)

Content is not the same as happy.
Never settle for content.
Contentment is not the same as happiness.
I don't know if I'd be OK with content.

THANK YOU!
stanleyfan777

Postby Stacey2907 » Wed Apr 27, 2016 3:57 pm

I'm looking for the following translated: May the stillness of the stars watch over you.

I can see that you have a list and I am patient!
Stacey2907

Postby Gladhaniel » Thu Apr 28, 2016 3:26 am

Stacey2907 wrote:I'm looking for the following translated: May the stillness of the stars watch over you.

I can see that you have a list and I am patient!

Hi! :) Please take a look at this post and specify which font(s) you would like to have, as well as the language of the sentence you're requesting.
Gladhaniel
Rider of the Mark

Postby Eleftheria » Sat Apr 30, 2016 8:44 pm

Hello, I was hoping that you could please transcribe three quotes for me without the quotation marks

TB+IB

Quote 1: "I have loved you for a thousand years"

Quote 2: "If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world"

Quote 3: "Forever you and me"

Thank you in advance, I am looking to get several tattoos done very soon and I would truly appreciate the transcription. :D
Eleftheria

Postby Isildilmë » Mon May 02, 2016 11:06 am

Hi everybody !
Sorry, I have been away over a month... I gave birth to an amazing little boy on March 28th, and I have to admit that to deal with two young boys is quite a challenge ! I'll try to give you a few minutes each weeks in order to complete the requests. Thanks for your patience !

Isildilmë
Devoted to the Sheen

Postby robinurke93 » Tue May 10, 2016 5:01 pm

Congratulations with your little boy, hope you both fare well :)

I've been on this thread before, so I know how good you are to help people. Therefore I would like to get something translated for myself from English to Tengwar Annatar:

“The flow of time is always cruel... its speed seems different for each person, but no one can change it... A thing that does not change with time is a memory of younger days...”

I think it will look the best if it's written in TA-I, but if its not too much work I would love to see it in TA-I+B as well.
I'm looking forward to see the result, no matter how long it takes :)
robinurke93

PreviousNext

Return to Language