Official TENGWAR Transcription Thread (and TATTOOS) - VI

Tolkien's worlds were birthed out of his love of language and his work at creating new ones. Enter into discussions surrounding Tolkien's languages.

Re: Official TENGWAR Transcription Thread (and TATTOOS) - VI

Postby Isildilmë » Sat Nov 21, 2015 8:34 pm

For Graham :

Image Image
Concerning the Official Tengwar Transcription Thread - VI
To all the newbees, Welcome to TORC !
Before posting anything on this thread, READ THE INTRODUCTION. For now, I didn't have the time to update the intro, so I let you read the intro of thread #IV here.

If you have any questions, feel free to ask in the threads or by email (isildilme@hotmail.com - write "Tengwar" somewhere in the subject in case you fall in my junkmail, because if I don't know, I wont open the message !). Note that I don't accept transcription requests by email, you have to post them here !

You can address yourself to me in French, Spanish or English as you wish.

Special message : I have now two precious sons. They are my priorities, and an additional explanation for the delays in my answers. I WILL answer you... but you might have to wait. Thank you for your comprehension.
Isildilmë
Devoted to the Sheen

Postby Isildilmë » Sat Nov 21, 2015 8:35 pm

For bdurocher :

Image Image
Before posting anything on this thread, READ THE INTRODUCTION. For now, I didn't have the time to update the intro, so I let you read the intro of thread #IV here.

If you have any questions, feel free to ask in the threads or by email (isildilme@hotmail.com - write "Tengwar" somewhere in the subject in case you fall in my junkmail, because if I don't know, I wont open the message !). Note that I don't accept transcription requests by email, you have to post them here !

Special message : I have now two precious sons. They are my priorities, and an additional explanation for the delays in my answers. I WILL answer you... but you might have to wait. Thank you for your comprehension.
Isildilmë
Devoted to the Sheen

Postby Isildilmë » Sat Nov 21, 2015 8:36 pm

For Ouricygang :

Image Click on the image for regular size

Isildilmë
Devoted to the Sheen

Postby Isildilmë » Sat Nov 21, 2015 8:36 pm

For Turamarth :

Isildilmë
Devoted to the Sheen

Postby Isildilmë » Sat Nov 21, 2015 8:38 pm

For Logaems94 : I just want to tell you that Qenya is an earlier version of Quenya… in fact it’s another tongue, a bit like an “Old Quenya” (comparing to languages like Old English and Old French). For the transcription it’s not a big deal, as Quenya is written how it’s pronounced and as “q” is just the way the “kw” sound was written at that time, but I wanted you to know it, and that is also why I wrote the words with “q” beside on their “qu” version to make sure you understand the result (but this doesn’t mean that the version with “qu” is attested in Quenya).

Image Image
Image Image

Isildilmë
Devoted to the Sheen

Postby Isildilmë » Sat Nov 21, 2015 8:38 pm

For johnz15 : I corrected Thorin’s last name ;)

Isildilmë
Devoted to the Sheen

Postby Persephone » Tue Nov 24, 2015 4:47 am

Hi Isildilme, and thank you for having sent me here after I contacted you on facebook some months ago. :) As you may remember, my request was the transcription of a-lalla-lalla-rumba-kamanda-lindor-burúmë, one of the very few examples of entish in Tolkien, which I feel really close to, since it means "hill" and I was born in a place with lots of hills :lol:. The font I would like best is: TA - I + B.
I hope I didn't make mistakes in the use of the thread and so forth :(
Thank you a lot,
Persephone
Persephone
Petitioner to the Council

Postby dorak » Tue Nov 24, 2015 3:34 pm

Hello! Finally I found some people that I think I should trust. I want to make a little tattoo and I need as soon as possible the translation for:

1. Lord
2. English
3. TA (I+B)

I hope I will get the translation fast. If it is somewhere and I couldn't find it, I'm sorry for that. Just redirect me there so I can take it...

Best regards!
dorak

Postby Isildilmë » Wed Nov 25, 2015 8:35 am

Hi Persephone ! I see no mistakes in your use of the thread ;) And yes I remember you from FB. I will do that shortly, no problem I will treat the quote as if it was in Quenya as there is no Entish mode and as anyway the influence of Quenya on this language is obvious.

And dorak emailed me and we organised everything for the delay problem. So consider this request like done !

Isildilmë
Devoted to the Sheen

Postby rasmuskolding » Tue Dec 01, 2015 5:10 am

Hello everyone

(sorry if this is the wrong thread)

I need some help to check a Tengwar to Latin-letter transcription, that I have mysteriously received as part of a (Christmas)riddle.

An image of the riddle is here: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B4sm-y ... sp=sharing

My own transcription of this is

fayn bayn sevir
riw gelb
|mormor|

which needs some further cracking. I am having some trouble with the last sign in the fourth word, which could be a w, but I'm not sure. Hope you can help.
rasmuskolding

Postby Turamarth » Tue Dec 01, 2015 9:21 am

Isildilmë,

Thank You sooooo much! I love it!

Thanks,
Turamarth
Turamarth

Postby bwhinnen » Sun Dec 06, 2015 5:28 pm

Firstly I would like to give my appreciation for all who help out here. Especially to Isildilmë who dedicates so much to these activities. I know all that post here have the same level of appreciation that I do.

I am looking to get a tattoo at some stage in the not so distant future and want to double check that I have transcribed into Tengwar correctly.

The translation below is of "The road goes ever on and on" which was translated by Gladhaniel a few years ago in the official Quenya Translation Thread II to be "The road goes ever continuously".

My effort is:

1. I tië lelya voro vórimavë
2. Quenya
3. TAI, TQI
4. I do want to incorporate a semi-colon ';' into the tattoo somehow and haven't figured out how yet. This is a phrase that means a great deal to me in the struggle with depression.

I appreciate your help in advance and there is no hurry what so ever!

Thank you,

Brett
bwhinnen

Postby Isildilmë » Mon Dec 07, 2015 10:32 am

rasmuskolding : I like this kind of things ! You were quite near. I agree with you about the use of wilya in the 4th word, but I also think it was meant to mean “w” here (but I wouldn’t write it that way personally). As this seems to be in Sindarin, I used a Sindarin transcription mode to turn it into Roman letters and I obtain this :
    Fain bain sevir
    Rîw gelb
    [Mormor]
Now it you need to translate this from Sindarin to English, you’ll have to copy this to the Sindarin thread, where you’ll meet Xandarien, and she is our Sindarin expert. I do not speak Sindarin, I only write it ;)

Isildilmë
Devoted to the Sheen

Postby Isildilmë » Mon Dec 07, 2015 11:04 am

For Persephone :

I offer you 3 choices, that are basically the same. It’s just that as far as I know, there is no attested transcription for an hyphen in Quenya (maybe because it’s not used often in this language). As the central dot is very multifunction (can replace a comma, an apostrophe, and in many languages an hyphen too), I would tend to use it, but I know some people use an hyphen, so I give it to you as a second option. And in the last, I removed all the punctuations to let the result appear like a unique word. We know that Tolkien did it in a few languages and situations (think of the One Ring, for example !), sometimes for aesthetic reasons. I thought that in this situation, as the phrase expresses a unique idea, it could be a nice option to think of.

Now the choice is up to you !

Isildilmë
Devoted to the Sheen

Postby Isildilmë » Mon Dec 07, 2015 11:09 am

bwhinnen : I’m happy if I can help you. Your attempt is good, but incomplete (it stops 3 letters before the end !). I don’t know if you just forgot to copy the “avë” when you posted it…
And I’m not sure I understand what you mean with you semi-colon… you want to add a roman semi-colon in the Tengwar transcription ? Where and why ?
If you have a Word file with the text format of your attempt, you can email me with it so I can correct the transcription directly, and if there is personal stuff to say (and that you don’t want to put on the net), you might prefer to tell me that way, just what I need to understand you and help (for example that semi-colon thing).

Isildilmë
Devoted to the Sheen

Postby bwhinnen » Mon Dec 07, 2015 8:13 pm

Isildilmë wrote:bwhinnen : I’m happy if I can help you. Your attempt is good, but incomplete (it stops 3 letters before the end !). I don’t know if you just forgot to copy the “avë” when you posted it…
And I’m not sure I understand what you mean with you semi-colon… you want to add a roman semi-colon in the Tengwar transcription ? Where and why ?
If you have a Word file with the text format of your attempt, you can email me with it so I can correct the transcription directly, and if there is personal stuff to say (and that you don’t want to put on the net), you might prefer to tell me that way, just what I need to understand you and help (for example that semi-colon thing).

Thank you, yes I did miss the last three letters. I have sent you an email, thanks again.

Regards,

Brett
bwhinnen

Postby Persephone » Tue Dec 08, 2015 7:53 am

Isildilmë, I'm honestly amazed - thank you so much! It's wonderful. Really. I like all of three versions a lot, maybe I'll go for the non-hyphenated one (one less thing for the tattooer to worry about, ehe.. let's hope he or she won't be scared of all those strange lines and patterns :lol: ). I hope you enjoyed doing this transcription.
I hope I can have a trip to Oxford next year, it would me amazing to get the tattoo there. :oops:
Thank you a lot! And wish you everything best for you and your family.
Persephone

ps: juast out of mere curiosity, do you happen to know if the explanation Treebeard gives of the name (from this a-lalla-lalla-rumba-kamanda-lind-or-burúmë. Excuse me: that is a part of my name for it; I do not know what the word is in the outside languages: you know, the thing we are on, where I stand and look out on fine mornings, and think about the Sun, and the grass beyond the wood, and the horses, and the clouds, and the unfolding of the world.' ...") is the actual literal translation of alalla-lalla-rumba-kamanda-lindor-burume? I would find it even more beautiful. Tolkien was such a genius...
Last edited by Persephone on Tue Dec 08, 2015 8:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Persephone

Postby weez » Tue Dec 08, 2015 7:59 am

Hey guys
So a friend of mine ended up getting a tattoo on a very drunken night out. After 8 months we finally figured out that it is written in Tengwar but we have no idea what it says. How can i upload a photo of it so that you experts and maybe help us out.
weez

Postby Xandarien » Tue Dec 08, 2015 8:19 am

Persephone wrote:Isildilmë, I'm honestly amazed - thank you so much! It's wonderful. Really. I like all of three versions a lot, maybe I'll go for the non-hyphenated one (one less thing for the tattooer to worry about, ehe.. let's hope he or she won't be scared of all those strange lines and patterns :lol: ). I hope you enjoyed doing this transcription.
I hope I can have a trip to Oxford next year, it would me amazing to get the tattoo there. :oops:
Thank you a lot! And wish you everything best for you and your family.
Persephone

ps: juast out of mere curiosity, do you happen to know if the explanation Treebeard gives of the name (from this a-lalla-lalla-rumba-kamanda-lind-or-burúmë. Excuse me: that is a part of my name for it; I do not know what the word is in the outside languages: you know, the thing we are on, where I stand and look out on fine mornings, and think about the Sun, and the grass beyond the wood, and the horses, and the clouds, and the unfolding of the world.' ...") is the actual literal translation of alalla-lalla-rumba-kamanda-lindor-burume? I would find it even more beautiful. Tolkien was such a genius...

It may have been in Tolkien's head, but this is all we know about it linguistically
here
Xandarien
Rider of the Mark

Postby fiamma » Tue Dec 08, 2015 4:16 pm

hi everybody, it is almost a year that I am passionate about this language. So far I have tried to study it as self teacher, but I must admit that it is not at all easy :?
so I ask your help. I would like to tattooed the phrases "inside forever" and "hold my hand" in tengwar then quenya. Can you help me? :)
Thank you in advance :lol:
fiamma

Postby AriMoonshadow » Fri Dec 11, 2015 6:17 pm

Hello ^.^ I'm looking for:

1.) "For it was real"
2.) Was awesomely translated for me here into "An non thand" in Sindarin
3.) Tengwar Annatar I + B
4.) I hope this wasn't too confusing. I'm basically looking for "an non thand" in Tengwar! Thanks so much ahead of time! I'm in awe of all that ya'll do here ^_^
AriMoonshadow

Postby D0g3n » Sat Dec 12, 2015 8:41 pm

I am looking for a tattoo transcription for my wife and I following a recent race. I would like it to say "25 km"... I understand that 25 is written 12 in Sindarin base 12, yes? Not at all sure how an abbreviation for distance like km would work, though. Thoughts on transcription?
D0g3n

Postby Hassam Half-Elven » Sun Dec 13, 2015 10:52 am

1) Carinyë vanda sina (I make this promise)
Antanyë tyen órenya (I give you my heart)
Tennoio ar illumë(Forever and always)
Órenya ná tyenya(my heart is yours)
Natyë i melmë coivienyava(you are the love of my life)
Oialë ar illumë(eternally and always)

2) Quenya
3) font : TA I+B, and TGka R+B
4) transcription of the Quenya text only please.
Hassam Half-Elven

Postby cnightshade » Sun Jan 03, 2016 10:20 am

I am wondering if you can translate " Xander " and " Miss Independent " for me. Please and thank you
cnightshade

Postby atyarwen » Wed Jan 13, 2016 9:51 am

Hello! me again... :)
Could you help me with transcriptions, any font, italic.

"With grace in your heart
and flowers in your hair"

"Signed and sealed in blood I would die for you''

"Feed my eyes"

Many many thanks! :D
atyarwen

Postby Innion » Sat Jan 16, 2016 4:03 pm

Hello Isildilmë. I actually found what i needed you to transcribe in tengwar but unfortunately the quality of the pic is too low. I wanted The breath of life / Grace of Valar tattoo. The part - Boe naid bain gwannathar. Boe cuil ban firitha. You already transcribed it for user "Sir Urlich" I believe but had to mail him the picture for full quality. Could you please do the same for me. I would love it in sindarin regular, but you could also send me the same transcription picture you sent Sir Urlich. Thank you a lot (:
Innion

Postby firetomysoul » Mon Jan 18, 2016 9:50 am

Bump

Nice to meet everyone. :)
Last edited by firetomysoul on Mon Jan 25, 2016 7:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
firetomysoul
Citizen of Imladris

Postby Prokreator » Sun Jan 24, 2016 5:13 am

Hi everyone,
I'm Prokreator and we woul'd make a tattoo (me and my wife)
I'm looking for a transcription of "elen síla lúmenn' omentielvo " in the same style than the Ring.

Can somebody help me?

Thank you very much,

Prokreator

P.S. Sorry for my english, it's not my language :cry:
Prokreator

Postby firetomysoul » Mon Jan 25, 2016 7:01 am

Prokreator:

Since this phrase is in Quenya it would be like this:

elen síla lúmenn' omentielvo
"a star shines upon the hour of our meeting"

As always, please get a second or third opinion to confirm this before getting any tattoo.
However, this should be accurate.

Good luck with getting this as it is a beautiful phrase to share with your wife. Blessings! :)

:: fire to my soul ::
firetomysoul
Citizen of Imladris

Postby erinnicoleborth » Thu Jan 28, 2016 7:52 pm

Hi there!

I am hoping to have a couple words transcribed!

First, the English word "three" and then the Quenyan word for three, "neldë". I was hoping to compare them. I am wanting to get this as a tattoo for my birthday next week. Any help is greatly appreciated!

Thanks so much,

Ërìn
erinnicoleborth

PreviousNext

Return to Language