Official TENGWAR Transcription Thread (and TATTOOS) - VI

Tolkien's worlds were birthed out of his love of language and his work at creating new ones. Enter into discussions surrounding Tolkien's languages.

Re: Official TENGWAR Transcription Thread (and TATTOOS) - VI

Postby firetomysoul » Thu Jan 28, 2016 7:53 pm

I'll work it up in a few minutes for you. My birthday is this Saturday. :) yay

Fireth To Mine Souleth
firetomysoul
Citizen of Imladris

Postby erinnicoleborth » Thu Jan 28, 2016 8:13 pm

Awesome!! I am so excited. Now to decide on placement once I see how it looks. :) yay for February birthdays! Happy early birthday! Let me guess, 111? :)
erinnicoleborth
Petitioner to the Council

Postby firetomysoul » Thu Jan 28, 2016 8:35 pm

erinnicoleborth:

English "Three" Options:

Image Full Size - http://i.imgur.com/TZxUtcx.png

Image Full Size - http://i.imgur.com/XxPldN7.png

Image Full Size - http://i.imgur.com/s9VDROc.png

Quenyan nelde options:

Image Full Size - http://i.imgur.com/c8E3syb.png

Image Full Size - http://i.imgur.com/MyHrBGz.png

Image Full Size - http://i.imgur.com/GUlcNJ3.png

How did you know I was going to be 111 :shock:
This is what I could make with the available font sets I have.
Also, make sure you follow the link to the full sized image and download it
as it is much larger and easier to work with by the artist.

A final note,
always double check with others before you get a tattoo. 8) .
Please share a photo with us if you do get it. Would love to see it!
Happy early birthday!
firetomysoul
Citizen of Imladris

Postby firetomysoul » Thu Jan 28, 2016 9:17 pm

Ërìn ~

In Sindarin 3 is neledh

Image Full: http://i.imgur.com/909N3Fh.png

Image Full: http://i.imgur.com/DTPx9w7.png

Image Full: http://i.imgur.com/RcTIRBD.png

This should be appended to the previous post for the same requester. :)
firetomysoul
Citizen of Imladris

Postby erinnicoleborth » Thu Jan 28, 2016 9:41 pm

Haha! I had a feeling you might be that od ;)

These are amazing!!! The one I had found online that I love matches one of the English versions of three that you made. I'm not sure how to post pictures on here!??

Who do you generally recommend having second opinions with for tattoos? As in, others on this forum or other sources entirely?

THANK YOU SO MUCH! I am so excited!

Ërìn
erinnicoleborth

Postby firetomysoul » Thu Jan 28, 2016 9:43 pm

There is a group on Facebook called learn Elvish and they do tattoo requests also.

To post a pic you click the img button and then paste the url of the image in between the tags.

Fireth To Mine Souleth
firetomysoul
Citizen of Imladris

Postby erinnicoleborth » Thu Jan 28, 2016 9:44 pm

Thank you so very much. I am such a noob.

I will join the page now.

:)
erinnicoleborth

Postby firetomysoul » Thu Jan 28, 2016 10:25 pm

Erin,

Also another page that you could like would be Tengwar Teacher on Facebook. I just created it. I am planning on creating a video series on the English Tengwar beginning this weekend. Talk to you soon!

Fireth To Mine Souleth
firetomysoul
Citizen of Imladris

Postby Thínor » Fri Jan 29, 2016 5:25 pm

Hi Isildilmë,

I would like to use some of your transcriptions in a document but in the threads they are only available as pictures
Do you thing it could be possible for you to send me the correspond ASCII string of a few of them so I can use them, assuming I then apply the corresponding Tengwa font ?
Thínor

Postby Isildilmë » Tue Feb 02, 2016 1:10 pm

Hi group ! Again, sorry for not being there more often. As some of you know, pregnancy can result quite heavy, and I’m now at 32 weeks/40, so I feel like a heavy whale : inflated, tired, and I spend most of my energy on my first son, regular everyday tasks and a bit of work. However I’m not quitting the thread and I keep in note every transcription request. I just cannot warranty the delays.

I saw that Firetomysoul (I will call you “Fire”, if you see no objection !) joined and started to post his/her transcriptions. As this thread is not my property or anything, he/she can do that without any problem, but of course I cannot vouch for these transcriptions. We might end with different results if our transcription modes are different (many modes exist), and our visions can also be different. You can always ask me a second opinion (and at the contrary, ask Fire or anybody else a second opinion about my transcriptions !) if you wish, or not. I don’t know whether I should automatically comment every transcription he/she posts here as I feel concerned about what happens here even if the thread is not my property and even if, as I said in the introduction, I’m not saying I detain the truth and that I know better than another one what Tolkien had in mind ! Any opinion is welcome. And welcome to you, Fire !

Persephone : I sadly have no more information than Xand about this !

weez : hahaha, THAT is something ! if you cannot upload a picture, email it to me.

fiamma : I’m not sure about what you want. Do you want the quotes to be translated in the Quenya language first, then written in Tengwar ? If yes, you have to post them in the Quenya thread first to have the translation (here : viewtopic.php?f=8&t=103457). Gladhaniel is far better than I am for this part ! Then you come back here and tell me the new quotes that I will transcribe to Tengwar for you. If you meant that you wanted them just written with the font named “Tengwar Quenya”, then I’ll do it directly. And about learning, we might be able to help you, but again, what are you trying to learn ? Quenya ? Tengwar ?

AriMoonshadow : don’t worry, it’s perfectly clear !

D0g3n : This can become quite complicated ! if you want the whole quote to be in Sindarin, I suggest you first visit Xandarien in the Official Sindarin Translation thread (here : viewtopic.php?f=8&t=103917), because I don’t handle the translation part. The other option you have is to keep it in English, and I will then write simply “km” as we do in English. If you choose this option, you also should decide if you want the duodecimal system (21, so 12 in Tengwar as you said), or to keep it in our decimal system (25, or 52 when written in Tengwar). Both can be done. Waiting for your final decision !

Hassam Half-Elven : it’s perfect !

cnightshade : no problem… is there a font you’d like (from the list in the introduction linked to my signature) ?

atyarwen : Hi dear ! No problem !

Innion : it will be a pleasure. Just email me with a copy of what you wrote here (I receive many emails !) and I’ll send it to you. Be sure you write Tengwar in the subject in case you fall in the junkmail.

Prokreator : as far as I’m concerned, the transcription that Fire suggested is incorrect. I can keep your request in my list and post my transcription when your “turn” comes, if you want.

erinnicoleborth : I agree with Fire’s transcriptions (the first tehtar of Neledh transcriptions isn’t centered to my taste, but it’s no big deal !). I think you can go for it without any fear ! Have a nice day !

Thínor : Sure ! Just email me with Tengwar in the subject, and tell me which transcriptions you need. I keep my Word files, so the copy will be easy to make !
Concerning the Official Tengwar Transcription Thread - VI
To all the newbees, Welcome to TORC !
Before posting anything on this thread, READ THE INTRODUCTION. For now, I didn't have the time to update the intro, so I let you read the intro of thread #IV here.

If you have any questions, feel free to ask in the threads or by email (isildilme@hotmail.com - write "Tengwar" somewhere in the subject in case you fall in my junkmail, because if I don't know, I wont open the message !). Note that I don't accept transcription requests by email, you have to post them here !

You can address yourself to me in French, Spanish or English as you wish.

Special message : I have now two precious sons. They are my priorities, and an additional explanation for the delays in my answers. I WILL answer you... but you might have to wait. Thank you for your comprehension.
Isildilmë
Devoted to the Sheen

Official TENGWAR Transcription Thread (and TATTOOS) - VI

Postby firetomysoul » Tue Feb 02, 2016 1:21 pm

Isildilme

First off it is nice to meet you as well. My wife and I just had our fourth child so I can relate to what you are possibly going through currently. Hope all is well with the pregnancy so far and I hope for the best as you progress.

As far as the translation I did for Prokreator I used the character set that was designated for the Quenya mode that can be seen in the Tengwar Textbook for Quenya Mode. It uses a slight variation than the English, Sindarin, and Black Speech mode.
Since I knew this phrase was a direct Quenyan phrase I chose that set of characters for translation. Particularly the nt sound and the vo at the end. Also I used the reverse consonant and vowel sequence which is called for in the Quenyan translations.

After all this explanation I would love to know and be educated on why you perceive my translation as incorrect since I am open minded and do not claim by any means to be an expert. I would love to hear from you when you can. :)
Talk to you soon.

Fireth To Mine Souleth
firetomysoul
Citizen of Imladris

Postby Isildilmë » Tue Feb 02, 2016 1:37 pm

firetomysoul wrote:After all this explanation I would love to know and be educated on why you perceive my translation as incorrect since I am open minded and do not claim by any means to be an expert. I would love to hear from you when you can. :)
Talk to you soon.

4 children ?! That is my dream... but I'm not the only one deciding ! haha

I prefer to put the double-n wave under, but I know that both are possible and that is not a reason for a transcription to be or not to be correct. I also tend to offer two version, one with a dot at mid-height (as the comma dot, but without a space after the "nn") to replace the apostrophe, because I read that Tolkien wrote it that way on at least a occasion. But once again, I also offer to remove it, so your transcription is one of those I would suggest.

The real problem I see is the long "u"... I see a short "u" in your transcription.

I have to quit ! I hope we'll have the pleasure to discuss again our modes later !
Before posting anything on this thread, READ THE INTRODUCTION. For now, I didn't have the time to update the intro, so I let you read the intro of thread #IV here.

If you have any questions, feel free to ask in the threads or by email (isildilme@hotmail.com - write "Tengwar" somewhere in the subject in case you fall in my junkmail, because if I don't know, I wont open the message !). Note that I don't accept transcription requests by email, you have to post them here !

Special message : I have now two precious sons. They are my priorities, and an additional explanation for the delays in my answers. I WILL answer you... but you might have to wait. Thank you for your comprehension.
Isildilmë
Devoted to the Sheen

Postby firetomysoul » Tue Feb 02, 2016 8:42 pm

Isildilmë:

I would like to know if this looks better.
I also agree with you on the u and the double consonant. :)

EDIT - I only left the two Isildilmë recommended to make it easier to see.

Full - http://i.imgur.com/Cn02tZC.png

Full - http://i.imgur.com/1wxO2Dd.png
Last edited by firetomysoul on Wed Feb 03, 2016 4:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.
firetomysoul
Citizen of Imladris

Postby Isildilmë » Wed Feb 03, 2016 12:44 pm

I now agree with the result Fire, at least the first option in each font (I wouldn't present the two last words as one). And in the Tengwar Quenya options, I would place the second "e" of "elen" a bit more on the right, but this is an aesthetic point only ! :)

Isildilmë
Devoted to the Sheen

Postby Isildilmë » Wed Feb 03, 2016 1:27 pm

For AriMoonshadow :

Image Click on the image for regular size

Isildilmë
Devoted to the Sheen

Postby Isildilmë » Wed Feb 03, 2016 1:27 pm

For Hassam Half-Elven :

Isildilmë
Devoted to the Sheen

Postby Isildilmë » Wed Feb 03, 2016 1:37 pm

I'm not respecting the order of the requests on this, and sorry folks, it's just that as Fire and I have been discussing this one I felt that it was better to complete it !

I just want to show what would have been my answer for Prokreator :

For Prokreator : I propose you two options. The first with a dot replacing the apostrophe (it seems that Tolkien wrote it that way at least once), and the other without. Both can be good as far as I'm concerned.

Isildilmë
Devoted to the Sheen

Postby ruzwildfire » Fri Feb 05, 2016 3:36 pm

Hello :)
I hope you can transcribe the following for me:

TA(R-R+B-I-I+B)
nice watch (English)
Írima lúmetanwë i málimessë (Quenya)

TA(R-I)
All this pain is an illusion (English)
Ilya nwalma sina maur ná (Quenya)
Pân i naeg hen em (Sindarin)
Pân i naeg hen em ú-thand (Sindarin)
Pân i naeg hen ôl (Sindarin)
Last edited by ruzwildfire on Sat Feb 06, 2016 4:54 am, edited 2 times in total.
ruzwildfire

Postby Isildilmë » Fri Feb 05, 2016 3:43 pm

Your request is complete ruz, and it will be a pleasure to do that for you !

Isildilmë
Devoted to the Sheen

Postby ruzwildfire » Sat Feb 06, 2016 4:53 am

Happy to hear that, Isildilmë :D
ruzwildfire

Postby Ivar82 » Wed Feb 10, 2016 8:38 pm

Hello Isildilmë

I saw in previous posts that you already transcribed Arwen, but I was wondering if you could publish it again but with a higher resolution. I would like the Sindarin name of Arwen in Tehtar Mode in two fonts; Tengwar Annatar and Tengwar Elfica (all regular).

I named my baby girl Arwen and I would like to have a tattoo of her name.

Thank you very much!
Ivar82

Postby raysgranita » Fri Feb 19, 2016 8:45 pm

hi, Isildilmë

I would like to request for the translation of names Jennifer and Raymart in Tengwar /sindarin (whichever is better for tattoo)
thank you in advance... it'll be a nice present for my birthday.
raysgranita

Postby Isildilmë » Wed Feb 24, 2016 6:34 am

Ivar82 : as you also emailed me, I answered you that way. This request is ok with me, I understood with your email that you want the name to be transcribed as a Sindarin name, and not as an English name, and this is how I’ll do it, using the Tehtar mode for Sindarin.

raysgranita : your request is getting me a but confuse. When I read it I understand that you ask me to change the name into Tengwar or Sindarin, depending on what is better for a tattoo… If I understood right, then it means that you understood wrong how it works :). I’ll ask you to read the introduction (link in my signature), so you’ll understand that Tengwar a script, an alphabet with which we can write all the languages we want, and that Sindarin is a language, just like English of French. So it is possible to change the names for their Sindarin “equivalents” if you go on the Sindarin thread (explained in the intro) and then to write them with tengwar, or directly to write them with tengwar keeping them in English (if they are in English. If not, you have to tell me what language you consider them to be). Then you have to choose a font you’ld like from the list.
If I understood wrong, then explain me again. My brain tends to work a bit slower when I arrive at the end of a pregnancy ! lol

Isildilmë
Devoted to the Sheen

Postby Isildilmë » Wed Feb 24, 2016 2:28 pm

For cnightshade :

Isildilmë
Devoted to the Sheen

Postby Isildilmë » Wed Feb 24, 2016 2:29 pm

For atyarwen : Sorry for being so long… if you prefer for next ones, you can send me your attempts by email in a Word file and I’ll offer you my suggestions in it, directly… if this is the way you work.

Isildilmë
Devoted to the Sheen

Postby cnightshade » Fri Feb 26, 2016 4:41 am

This is what I orignally had so which ever this one is. I know not much help.

http://phoenixnightshade.blogspot.com/
Last edited by cnightshade on Fri Feb 26, 2016 3:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cnightshade

Postby Isildilmë » Fri Feb 26, 2016 8:40 am

cnightshade wrote:This is what I orignally had so which ever this one is. I know not much help.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10150947853099590&set=a.10150352044889590.369996.549609589&type=3&theater

I cannot access to the image... can you save it and send it to my email isildilme@hotmail.com ?

Isildilmë
Devoted to the Sheen

Postby atyarwen » Mon Feb 29, 2016 6:20 pm

Thanks Isildilmë, and don't mind about the delay. I will send my atempts next time. ;)
atyarwen

Postby T_Daugherty » Tue Mar 01, 2016 11:23 pm

Hello, I was wondering if you could help transcribe this phrase:

With Honesty, Loyalty and Love the heart becomes as the soul, Eternal. (English)
TEmar (R+I)

Also could it be rotated into a circle?

Thank you for your time.
T_Daugherty

Postby Mello-Drame » Wed Mar 02, 2016 10:03 am

Hello ! :)

I'm hoping you can help me transcribe a quote; it has probably been requested already, but I can't find it...

Mornië utùlië Mornië alantië (Quenya)

I'd love to have it in TA-R, TA-I and TA-I+B, if it's not too much trouble.

Thank you very much!
Mello-Drame

PreviousNext

Return to Language