Help with translation please

Tolkien's worlds were birthed out of his love of language and his work at creating new ones. Enter into discussions surrounding Tolkien's languages.

Help with translation please

Postby tp_1983 » Sat Aug 08, 2015 3:20 pm

I'm a wargamer and am building some ruins to represent (among other things) Dale. I wanted to put some graffiti on the walls as a little in joke (the building I'm taking inspiration from has some on) but I wanted it in a middle-earth language.

Could some one please help me translate the following into any language that uses the roman alphabet:

Dragons go home
Age of Sigma sucks
3rd edition rules

and then in khuzdul
at least we had wizards then

Many thanks
tp_1983
Petitioner to the Council

Re: Help with translation please

Postby tp_1983 » Sun Aug 09, 2015 12:45 am

Just a note to say I had seen the post on sticky's but this post doesn't really fit any of them.

Oh, and by 'Third Edition Rules' I mean 'Third Edition is the Best' not rules as in a set if guidelines....
tp_1983

Postby Xandarien » Sun Aug 09, 2015 1:46 am

tp_1983 wrote:I'm a wargamer and am building some ruins to represent (among other things) Dale. I wanted to put some graffiti on the walls as a little in joke (the building I'm taking inspiration from has some on) but I wanted it in a middle-earth language.

Could some one please help me translate the following into any language that uses the roman alphabet:

Dragons go home
Age of Sigma sucks
3rd edition rules

and then in khuzdul
at least we had wizards then

Many thanks

Khuzdul doesn't have enough words (attested or otherwise) to be able to do your last request I'm afraid. All of Tolkien's languages use the Roman alphabet unless we're transcribing them into Tengwar/Cirth etc.
This is Sindarin. If you want Quenya, you need to pop over to the Official Quenya thread or hope that Gladhaniel sees this thread :)

'Dragons go home' - how rude do you mind it being?
Emlyg ego = Dragons be gone
Emlyg = Dragons
ego = be gone, f*** off!

If that's not appropriate, the closest I can give you is (and this is rather literal as opposed to the above)
Emylg gwao na i mbair gîn = Dragons go to your homes
gwao = go
na = to
i mbair gîn = your homes

The other two don't translate, as I'm sure you can appreciate. There's words for 'age' and 'third' but beyond that your requests are what we call 'English idioms', they wouldn't translate well into some modern languages let alone languages like Sindarin - e,g, Andrann Sigmar = Sigmar's Age, Age of Sigmar but there's no way of saying 'to suck'.
Xandarien
Rider of the Mark

Postby tp_1983 » Sun Aug 09, 2015 4:58 am

Thanks for that. Sindarin is perfect and I don't mind being rude at all.

As for the others they don't need to be literal translations at all, just something to convey that meaning. If there is no word for 'edition' (which I doubt there is) or a synonym then just 'Third rules/is awesome' would be fine.

I meant to say I am quite happy with Neo-Khuzdul, if that helps anyone to translate the dwarfish phrase. Otherwise I suppose I could just have it in Sindarin/Quenya but written in cirth
tp_1983

Postby Xandarien » Sun Aug 09, 2015 8:38 am

tp_1983 wrote:Thanks for that. Sindarin is perfect and I don't mind being rude at all.

As for the others they don't need to be literal translations at all, just something to convey that meaning. If there is no word for 'edition' (which I doubt there is) or a synonym then just 'Third rules/is awesome' would be fine.

I meant to say I am quite happy with Neo-Khuzdul, if that helps anyone to translate the dwarfish phrase. Otherwise I suppose I could just have it in Sindarin/Quenya but written in cirth

Alrighty! What about...
Parf nelui i rovaer = Third book (is) the best ?
Xandarien
Rider of the Mark

Postby tp_1983 » Sun Aug 09, 2015 8:59 am

Perfect!

How would you say 'the worst', then?
tp_1983

Postby Xandarien » Sun Aug 09, 2015 11:09 am

tp_1983 wrote:Perfect!

How would you say 'the worst', then?

I rofaeg = The worst, meanest, baddest :)
Xandarien
Rider of the Mark

Postby tp_1983 » Sun Aug 09, 2015 11:54 am

Brilliant! So, 'Andrann Sigmar I rofaeg'?

Really appreciate this. I'll post a link when it's done.

Now I just need someone with a good knowledge of neo-khuzdul...
tp_1983

Postby Xandarien » Sun Aug 09, 2015 12:15 pm

Yip that's right!
Xandarien
Rider of the Mark

Return to Language