Nenya Ring | URGENT

Tolkien's worlds were birthed out of his love of language and his work at creating new ones. Enter into discussions surrounding Tolkien's languages.

Nenya Ring | URGENT

Postby sacredrage » Thu Jul 14, 2016 4:53 pm

First of all let me express my extreme gratitude for the help of this forum. I am having a custom nenya ring (Galadriel's ring; mostly) made for my significant other (I did not like the representation made in the Peter Jackson films). It's a very high end ring and I would like to have an elvish inscription on the inside. I've found some online translation services, but I am uncertain if I trust them. Sizing is an issue (meaning there is limited space on the ring for engraving), so I'd like to propose a few different phrases and then choose the best option that physically fits.

My understanding is that Quenya would probably be appropriate for a formal/serious engraving for a ring of power, but I am open to input on that as well re: sindarin. The ring is many thousands of dollars and is a beautiful custom design (in retrospect, I wish I had come here for ideas first, though it did turn out wonderfully) that I'd be happy to share once finalized. Here are the phrases:

Love in action and in truth
Love. Action. Truth (3 separate words that stand on their own)
Sarah Trevino
Sarah
Water Perseverance Concealment
Adamant
Ring of Water
Ring of Adamant
The White Ring
White Ring
Nenya

I suppose "Nenya" would be the easiest and simplest thing so if all else fails can someone give me the correct quenya script for Nenya? It's just a contraction of "water" (nen) and the adjectival "ya" per the internet. But Love. Action. Truth. would have personal meaning.

To be clear, I'd like to have it in the elvish script and the ring designer threw me a curve ball and says he needs this TODAY.

Here is a script translator I found: jenshansen.com/pages/online-english-to-elvish-engraving-translator

I know her well, and the ring is going to have tremendous meaning to her as Galadriel is a person of great inspiration to her and she has recently made some accomplishments in her per
sacredrage
Petitioner to the Council

Re: Nenya Ring | URGENT

Postby Xandarien » Fri Jul 15, 2016 1:26 am

I'd advise you repost this in the Quenya Translations thread so Gladhaniel definitely sees it, but a day's notice really isn't much, we don't tend to visit this forum every day. If the ring is that expensive, then you as the buyer should really be in control and be able to say to your designer that they'll just have to wait, if what you want isn't ready in time.

I would give you Sindarin translations but I agree that Quenya is the preferable language as the Three Rings all have Quenya names and Sindarin doesn't appear.

Transcribers can be incredibly hit and miss. The one I personally favour if people have to use one is http://www.arno.org/tengwar/ (you need to check Quenya as the Mode in the options if you're transcribing Nenya but I would really imagine that Isildilme has done that before at some point in the past...)
Xandarien
Rider of the Mark

Re: Nenya Ring | URGENT

Postby sacredrage » Fri Jul 15, 2016 2:04 am

Thank you for the reply. The problem is that we are on a tight deadline and the laser engraving can't handle the unknown font, so the design needs to be built directly into the CAD model. Until that's done, you can't print the wax for the base of the ring and we started this on a very tight deadline. It would be fairly disastrous if the ring wasn't ready on time, so while I thought I had another 2 weeks to confirm all of this and learn the basics of the language such that I might be able to do very simple 2 or 3 word sentences and then confirm, unfortunately, here I am.

I reposted per your suggestion, emailed Gladhaniel directly, and offered some compensation if it helps prod people's attention. That, of course, feels a bit distasteful, but fair is fair and this needs to get done right and quickly.
sacredrage
Petitioner to the Council

Return to Language