Calling all those who speak elvish, and those who want to learn

Tolkien's worlds were birthed out of his love of language and his work at creating new ones. Enter into discussions surrounding Tolkien's languages.

Postby Eledwen » Sun Jun 12, 2005 7:27 pm

Is anyone availible???? Please reply soon if you are.....please I am desprate. thnx :idea:
Eledwen
Petitioner to the Council

Postby greystarr » Wed Jun 15, 2005 12:07 pm

Hi. I'm kinda new to Elvish and I would love to learn some. I would particularly like to learn Quenya, but Sindarin is good too. Would anyone maybe be interested in teaching me? ...Please...?
greystarr

Lovin Quenya

Postby Doggins » Wed Jun 29, 2005 10:46 am

Hey, I would love to get somebody to help me learn Quenya!
PLEASEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!
Doggins
Citizen of Imladris

Postby XXIluvatarXX » Wed Jul 06, 2005 11:31 am

Hi, I would like to learn REAL Quenya, (or Sindarin would be a good second choice). As a side note, I am wondering if anyone knows a good book. I currently own a guide, but it doesn't s eem very good. Does anyone know some good ones?

EDIT: I suppose I could also teach someone a mixture of Quenya and Sindarin that I like to call "Quendarin", but again, my sources for the language are probably incorrect, so you might get mislead.
XXIluvatarXX
Ranger of the North

Want to learn

Postby AndurilFlameofTheWest » Thu Aug 18, 2005 9:30 pm

I want to learn Quenya and Sindarin. Im good with languages, so, hopefully it wont take more than a few weeks
AndurilFlameofTheWest

Postby Galabrien » Sat Sep 03, 2005 9:05 am

I want to learn! So I can talk with my friend and no one would know what we were saying. Please teach me!! :)
Galabrien
Shield Bearer

Postby earthdragon » Tue Sep 06, 2005 10:16 am

um yeah, hi. isa new. anyway i tried to learn Quenya once. Didnt work too well. anyway i really dont care what language see i want to learn them all!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! muahahahaha. ok um yeah. But prbly like Quenya and like Numenorian(sorry i cant spell so if it wrong i appologize) and like da black speech. um yeah.
earthdragon

Postby earthdragon » Tue Sep 06, 2005 10:16 am

um yeah, hi. isa new. anyway i tried to learn Quenya once. Didnt work too well. anyway i really dont care what language see i want to learn them all!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! muahahahaha. ok um yeah. But prbly like Quenya and like Numenorian(sorry i cant spell so if it wrong i appologize) and like da black speech. um yeah.
earthdragon

Postby Robin_Greenleaf » Tue Sep 13, 2005 10:04 pm

Hello can anyone teach me Sindarian? I am vary intrested in learning how to speek it.
Robin_Greenleaf
Ranger of the North

Postby adamcramp » Thu Nov 03, 2005 7:17 am

im would lke 2 learn sandarin contact me on 02acramp@sirwilliamramsey.bucks.sch.uk or bubbles_56644@hotmail.com
adamcramp

Postby Breogan » Thu Nov 03, 2005 4:01 pm

I am willing to take people as students in both Sindarin and Quenya.
However, I would like to stress that I am pretty busy with other projects, and my time is as valuable as anybody else's, so I recomend anyone who believes to be interested in learning any of the elven tongues to think carefully about the time and stamina it requires. I'll be glad to help out all those who help themselves...
It takes weeks to find one's way around the basics of any of the languages, and that is only the beginning - so, for those of you interested in learning for fiction-writing purposes, I suggest you head for the translation threads where other members can give you a hand with whatever it is you need translated.
If writing fiction is not the reason, I would like you to have a look at the Ardalambion site to have an idea of what we are dealing with.
http://www.uib.no/People/hnohf/
Last edited by Breogan on Wed Jul 30, 2008 3:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Breogan
Ranger of the North

Postby Engwafea1 » Wed Apr 26, 2006 11:13 am

I want to learn elvish!!!
What is the best book or place to learn elvish.
If there are any eager tutors out there then please reply.
signed by your fellow elven ranger,
Engwafea
Engwafea1
Citizen of Imladris

Postby Tulkas2006 » Thu Apr 27, 2006 3:27 pm

Maegovannen!!!!
Lembin i Quenya!!!!
Well, I'm actually learning Quenya :D, and I actually made up my own name from it: "Lindelon Soronar" It's something like:
Lindele- Music
On (or sort of)- Lord
Lord of Music
Soron- Eagle
Nar- Fire
Fire Eagle
There's a Spanish book... By L. Gonzalez Baixauli, or sort of... To learn Quenya, It is a very poetic language, I love it...

Aiya "???" nion Anvanima....

If you like here's my mail: :D
satchspazer@hotmail.com
By the way, it is very difficult :shock: a mess... but I love it
Tulkas2006
Rider of the Mark

Hello?

Postby ElvesRule » Tue Jul 29, 2008 6:55 pm

Hi, considering the newest message is dated in 2006, i don't know if anyone's out there. but if any of you are, PLEASE. i want to learn elvish. Sindarin and quenya please.
ElvesRule

Postby anduin wraith » Tue Jul 29, 2008 7:19 pm

Yes as my friend above noted this thread seems to have lain dormant for quite some time however like him i would also like to learn elvish if there is still anybody wanting to teach it to us lowly mortals
anduin wraith
Citizen of Imladris

Postby Breogan » Wed Jul 30, 2008 7:12 am

ElvesRule & Anduin wraith

Have you had a look at sites such as http://www.uib.no/People/hnohf/ to know what you can expect from Quenya or Sindarin?

I will repeat what I said almost 3 years ago:
It takes weeks to find one's way around the basics of any language, and that is only the beginning - so, for those of you interested in learning for fiction-writing purposes, I suggest you head for the translation threads where other members can give you a hand with whatever it is you need translated.
Breogan
Ranger of the North

Postby ElvesRule » Wed Jul 30, 2008 5:08 pm

All right. at least it looks like there is still a few people left on this thread. I do not want to learn for fiction writing purposes. i promise, if you would teach me, to study as dilligently as possible. Please, teach me. I simply want to know Elvish because it is not a commonly known Language, and i would teach my friends what i learn. Please, teach me.
ElvesRule

Postby Mithfindel » Thu Jul 31, 2008 7:14 am

If we talk about resources, there are a few more "traditional" language courses, by Thorsten Renk. You can find them from http://www.elvish.org/gwaith/language.htm - just a note, since the Prof is not with us any more, there is not really a definite authority in all matters Elvish, be that Sindarin on Quenya - even the scary old scholars are learning as more of Tolkien's documents are uncovered. Neither of the languages is complete. Neither of the languages is finished - different sources may contradict each other.

However, I do personally find mr. Renk's courses quite easily accessable.
Mithfindel
Ranger of the North

Postby Breogan » Thu Jul 31, 2008 7:27 am

Mithfindel

You seem to have misunderstood my post - I used Ardalambion only as an example of what Tolkien languages are all about.
Some people tend to believe they are not *real* languages, judging by what they can hear in the films, and think they do not require that much time to learn them. Ardalambion is a good example of the complexity of the languages coined by Tolkien.
Breogan
Ranger of the North

Postby Mithfindel » Thu Jul 31, 2008 9:17 am

I think I did: And the less they are real languages in the courses I mentioned. Agreed, the courses presented there aren't as through as the information on Ardalambion (some of those might be partially based on Ardalambion - the author states that he learned Quenya from mr. Fauskanger's course), but if the goal is to learn a little (at least to begin with) as I stated my opinion is that the courses prepared by mr. Renk are a simple approach to the language. While grammar books (or in their absence, Ardalambion) are a fine resource, if it were the best way to learn a language, it'd be what we'd be supplied in schools on language lessons. A course hundred pages long (printed out sheets) about the very basics doesn't quite make a language simple or somewhat not real.

However, it is equally true that the languages are not complete. There are many things we don't know a word for in Sindarin or Quenya or both. There are some parts of grammar which are ambiguous or reconstructed (based on guesswork). These do not prevent the use of the language, though, but it is good to be aware of the limits. This doesn't in any way diminish the effort Tolkien had creating the languages nor does make them any less worthy or real - we have some pretty real living languages on this planet that don't have numerals beyond "none, one, many".

As a baseline, I'd personally say that learning the language in weeks is pretty much an underestimation of the languages. Learning to speak them... let us not get started on the subject. However, difficulty is not an excuse on saying "see, kid, it's really hard - don't learn, rather ask others to translate for you". What I meant to say is that "here's something that might help, but don't expect to master a language when people having it as a lifelong hobby aren't quite sure about some bits".
Mithfindel
Ranger of the North

k.

Postby ElvesRule » Thu Jul 31, 2008 11:37 am

guys im not entirely understanding, but i still want to learn, if u would teach me.

i do not expect to master it at all. i just wish you to share what you know. i will work hard if u accept.
ElvesRule

Postby Breogan » Thu Jul 31, 2008 12:55 pm

ElvesRule,
The best thing you can do is to grab a copy of Thorsten's courses (http://www.phy.duke.edu/~trenk/elvish/) and start from there. Working at your own pace. You can always post your doubts at the Official Sindarin or Quenya Translation threads here on the Language forum.
Breogan
Ranger of the North

k thanks but

Postby ElvesRule » Fri Aug 01, 2008 8:25 am

I tried a few times. it keeps saying i have to download stuff before i can.
ElvesRule

Postby Mithfindel » Fri Aug 01, 2008 8:41 am

The courses are compressed - in other words, there is a ZIP package (in modern Windows parlance, a "compressed folder") containing the PDF file, which in turn is the course.

At least the Sindarin package is .gz (i.e. it's made with GZip), the default Windows compressed folder wizard might not be able to deal with it, but any real program (such as WinRAR will be able to deal with it easily. (As a note, WinRAR is shareware, but doesn't stop working even after the trial period.)

And yes, the course is rather long as I mentioned earlier so it is rather preferable to have the resource readily on your computer. Depending on your access to printers, it can be also nice to print it or parts of it, though the electronic format is nice too as you can use the search. (Unless it is strictly your printer - say, you'd use a school's printer - might be wise to first check if it's okay to print long documents, or even ask and figure out how to print multiple pages per sheet, on both sides or so on.)

As a note, the language used on the course is the same as used by linguists: If you are not familiar with this, it is the same you'd encounter while learning any language. I can't say for sure but I'd assume that it can be easier to understand the course if you already know at least one foreign language and thus are familiar with the terminology. I am distantly remembering things from school, we did have some of those terms on my native language's grammar courses, but I do still remember those better from the courses of foreign languages I had later. Not that I'd remember the said foreign languages themselves, though. (Except English.)
Mithfindel
Ranger of the North

Thanks

Postby ElvesRule » Fri Aug 01, 2008 8:42 am

although, some of the words can't display it says, and i can't get any of the other downloads it says too without paying. i guess i'll just read what it DOES show.
ElvesRule

Postby Mithfindel » Fri Aug 01, 2008 8:45 am

I got the same message of "can't display some fonts". Comparing to an older version which didn't get the message, it seems that the text "flee, night" on the front page is missing (i.e. it's written there only on regular alphabet and English, but not with Tengwar script in Sindarin).

And yes, the WinRAR app (if you used it) is nagging constantly for you to buy it (the people who programmed it don't live with the Word alone) - naturally, you may uninstall it once you don't need it any more (if you needed it in the first place).
Mithfindel
Ranger of the North

Thanks again. i'm already learning somehwat. Mae govannen!

Postby ElvesRule » Fri Aug 01, 2008 8:48 am

if u know, please tell me: why has this thread lain dormant for so long?
ElvesRule

Postby Mithfindel » Fri Aug 01, 2008 8:54 am

Absolutely no idea - I did myself return from a rather lengthy stay of not reading the whole TORC rather recently. I think the forum got a rather great a boost when the movies were released, and have become a tad more quiet since then (at least they seem to be a good deal faster nowadays, which can indicate less concurrent users) but haven't checked the stats so don't really know.

At times people change threads or migrate to other sites, even. There are many resources of varying usefulness detailing the Professor's invented languages in the net, I can remember that Council of Elrond site popped up rather often some time (~years) ago (I believe they do also have a course, if you want to do comparative study).
Mithfindel
Ranger of the North

This is a much more complex language thanI had firs thought.

Postby ElvesRule » Fri Aug 01, 2008 8:57 am

however, i shall pursue it with full strength.

EDIT: can someone tell me the difference between calma and quesse? they both look alike to me.
Last edited by ElvesRule on Fri Aug 01, 2008 9:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
ElvesRule

Postby Mithfindel » Fri Aug 01, 2008 9:00 am

Part of the difficulty to many will come from a different approach, specially Quenya might be a bit puzzling at first if one is unused to using suffixes. The hard part for me is mutations in Sindarin (while there are some in my native, I don't consciously do those - they just come with the speech - not the case when writing Sindarin).
Mithfindel
Ranger of the North

PreviousNext

Return to Language