READ ONLY - Official Quenya Translation Thread - I

Tolkien's worlds were birthed out of his love of language and his work at creating new ones. Enter into discussions surrounding Tolkien's languages.

Postby Vea mi olori » Tue Sep 13, 2011 1:47 pm

superlaukis

Looking at the usual structure for "greater than",A ná ... lá B,is used for "beyond", so you could preface each word with that, resulting in:

Lá larca, lá tára, lá polda- I preferpoldahere as it explicitly means "strong, burly", which seems more of a human strength than immovability.

Colm
Gladhaniel is right about the*aostuff, I can't find any anywhere. I'd go with the-noendings to the adjectives already given.
Vea mi olori
Shield Bearer

Postby colm.keane » Thu Sep 15, 2011 5:41 am

Yes sorry i was looking for a direct translation because it is roughly the same translation for keane in sindarin (beautiful) So im as sure as im going to be! :lol: Yes thanks a million though that did answer my question :) :)
colm.keane
Petitioner to the Council

Postby aedian » Thu Sep 15, 2011 6:57 am

Hi, can you translate Beautifully Chaotic into Quenya? Thanks so much!
aedian

Postby Gladhaniel » Thu Sep 15, 2011 4:01 pm

colm.keane wrote:Yes sorry i was looking for a direct translation because it is roughly the same translation for keane in sindarin (beautiful) So im as sure as im going to be! :lol: Yes thanks a million though that did answer my question :) :)

I'm glad that it helped! :D

aedian wrote:Hi, can you translate Beautifully Chaotic into Quenya? Thanks so much!

Hm, this is a difficult one! Well, beautifully can be easily translated as vanyavë - so that's not a problem. The challenge lies mostly in chaotic, because there's no direct word for that in Quenya. I believe we're gonna have to paraphrase, but even then, I have no idea what synonym could be used that exists in Quenya and is not too far from the original meaning. I did think about it but could come up with nothing satisfying. Let's wait a bit to see if Vea has any ideas. :)
Gladhaniel
Rider of the Mark

Postby Vea mi olori » Sun Sep 18, 2011 1:59 am

There's a few options for "chaotically", it depends on what effect you want. I think the best chance we have of a match is chaotically as "disorderly". With this, we have the adjectiverúcina, "confused, shattered, disordered", which becomesvanyavë rúcinaor, for a more poetic spin,rávameans "free, unfettered, uncontrolled", sovanyavë rávafor "beautifully uncontrolled" with connotations of freedom and without restraint.
Vea mi olori
Shield Bearer

Postby Gladhaniel » Sun Sep 18, 2011 5:04 am

Vea mi olori wrote:There's a few options for "chaotically", it depends on what effect you want. I think the best chance we have of a match is chaotically as "disorderly". With this, we have the adjectiverúcina, "confused, shattered, disordered", which becomesvanyavë rúcinaor, for a more poetic spin,rávameans "free, unfettered, uncontrolled", sovanyavë rávafor "beautifully uncontrolled" with connotations of freedom and without restraint.

Awesome ideas! :D
Gladhaniel
Rider of the Mark

Postby Aldant » Sun Sep 18, 2011 7:55 am

Let's do this the other way around...

A girl asked me to translate a sentence into "elvish" for the purpose of a tattoo. I gave it a shot in Quenya, though I'm by far not an expert. Does it make sense to you?

I alassie lehte nar maureo harya i arya;
mal nevinte care i arya tannen i tuvinte tientasse.

I feel like I should put a case ending (maybe a genitive?) to the harya, but I don't know if that's even possible. Infinitives seem to be indeclinable as far as I can tell.
Aldant

Postby Pavlina » Mon Sep 19, 2011 5:22 am

hello!
could you please translate the phrase

“we stopped checking for monsters under our bed,
when we realized they were inside us”

in Quenya? What should I do after that? I want it as a tattoo.
Pavlina

Postby Gladhaniel » Tue Sep 20, 2011 3:49 am

Aldant:

Could you please tell us what the English equivalent is supposed to be, please? :D I rarely do requests that way around and don't read Quenya as often as I translate from English to Quenya, so even though I understand most of your phrases there are still some uncertainties about the meaning. :)

When I have the English translation it'll be a pleasure to look at the grammar and such. :D

Pavlina:

I would translate your sentence as following. :)

(1) Pustanelwë saca ulundor nu caimalwa
írë hanyanelwë i néntë mi me.

or

(2) Pustanelmë saca ulundor nu caimalma
írë hanyanelmë i néntë mi ve.

The only difference between those two translations is that (1) contains exclusive plural (the party addressed is excluded from "we/our"), whereas the plural elements of (2) are inclusive (the party addressed is included in "we/our").

What I did is roughly the equivalent of this. It was the closest I could go to the original meaning. :)

We stopped looking for monsters under our bed
when we understood they were in us.

To get a tattoo, if you want it in Elvish characters you can make a request in this thread. Please wait that Vea mi olori comes and checks the Quenya translation, though! :)
Gladhaniel
Rider of the Mark

Postby aedian » Thu Sep 22, 2011 2:47 am

Hm, this is a difficult one! Well, beautifully can be easily translated as vanyavë - so that's not a problem. The challenge lies mostly in chaotic , because there's no direct word for that in Quenya. I believe we're gonna have to paraphrase, but even then, I have no idea what synonym could be used that exists in Quenya and is not too far from the original meaning. I did think about it but could come up with nothing satisfying. Let's wait a bit to see if Vea has any ideas.

Thanks for the reply, was waiting for an email notification, but i guess i forgot to check the box :p It's more like chaos as in a disaster or disorderly, like a lot of craziness happening all at once :)

There's a few options for "chaotically", it depends on what effect you want. I think the best chance we have of a match is chaotically as "disorderly". With this, we have the adjective rúcina , "confused, shattered, disordered", which becomes vanyavë rúcina or, for a more poetic spin, ráva means "free, unfettered, uncontrolled", so vanyavë ráva for "beautifully uncontrolled" with connotations of freedom and without restraint.

Thanks so much! I think rucina is more appropriate for my purposes, unless you can think of something more appropriate based on my reply to Gladhaniel :) This is actually for my fiance, so she will be thrilled to hear wht you guys came up with :)
aedian

Postby Vea mi olori » Fri Sep 23, 2011 5:11 am

Aldant

I'd like to know what you're aiming to say here, as I can't make much sense out of the phrase as it is. The best I can do is:

I alassie lehte nar maureo harya i arya;
mal nevinte care i arya tannen i tuvinte tientasse.

The [marbleness?/merriment] loosed are to show the possessing;
But ???? do (it?) the day (“with ????” maybe) the found (in them?)

I'm guessing it's meant to be a sentiment like carpe diem referring to joy, but I can't make a coherent setence out of what's there.

Pavlina

I've got a version that has a few different wordings to Gladhaniel, but they're mostly cosmentic changes.

“we stopped checking for monsters under our beds,
when we realized they [were/existed] within us”

Pustanelmë sacëa úvanimoin/ulundoin nu caimammar,
Írë hányëalmë te enger mingwë

And you have the same options for-lmë/-lwëas Gladhaniel mentioned, depending on whether you wanted inclusive or exclusive "we".

The only contentious point I can see there is theáofhányëalmë. I've treated thenyas a single consonant as there isn't a separate tengwa for the y in these cases, just an additional omehta, but it could be considered a consonant cluster. If this was the case, it simply becomes shorta.

Does all of that make sense?
Vea mi olori
Shield Bearer

Postby Erevos » Fri Sep 23, 2011 5:58 pm

How's in Quenya the phrase "thou shalt rekindle hearts to the valour of old in a world that grows chill"? :) Sorry for the many posts but I didn't know how to use it
Erevos

Postby Vea mi olori » Sat Sep 24, 2011 4:15 am

Erevos

I've had to tweak the wording slightly, but this is what I came out with:

Thou shalt rekindle hearts to the valour of former times in a world turned chill

Atanartuvalyë órër ana i cánë noar lúmer ambaressë ninquequerna

I'd wait for Gladhaniel to give this a glance over too, see what she thinks.
Vea mi olori
Shield Bearer

Postby Erevos » Sat Sep 24, 2011 5:13 am

Thank you...^^
Erevos

Postby Gladhaniel » Wed Sep 28, 2011 6:16 pm

Sorry for the delay! I've been extremely busy lately.

Vea mi olori wrote:AldantPavlina

I've got a version that has a few different wordings to Gladhaniel, but they're mostly cosmentic changes.

“we stopped checking for monsters under our beds,
when we realized they [were/existed] within us”

Pustanelmë sacëa úvanimoin/ulundoin nu caimammar,
Írë hányëalmë te enger mingwë

And you have the same options for-lmë/-lwëas Gladhaniel mentioned, depending on whether you wanted inclusive or exclusive "we".

The only contentious point I can see there is theáofhányëalmë. I've treated thenyas a single consonant as there isn't a separate tengwa for the y in these cases, just an additional omehta, but it could be considered a consonant cluster. If this was the case, it simply becomes shorta.

Does all of that make sense?

Awesome! :) I have a couple of uncertainties/remarks to point out here:

Pustanelmë sacëa* úvanimoin/ulundoin** nu caimammar,
Írë hányëalmë*** te enger mingwë

*Wouldn' the ëa ending indicate the present tense? I thought the infinitive for A-stems was unchanged and that it should stay saca-.
**I don't understand the -in ending. It's actually the first time I encounter it, what does it mean? I doubt it would phonetically work in this case, though, because I think oi is not allowed in Quenya.
***Again, I wonder about the use of hanyëa here. Regarding the accented a, I think it would indeed make sense — but only with the present tense since no vowel is lengthened in the past tense.

Vea mi olori wrote:Erevos

I've had to tweak the wording slightly, but this is what I came out with:

Thou shalt rekindle hearts to the valour of former times in a world turned chill

Atanartuvalyë órër ana i cánë noar lúmer ambaressë ninquequerna

I'd wait for Gladhaniel to give this a glance over too, see what she thinks.

Atanartuvalyë órër ana i cánë noar lúmer[on]* ambaressë ninquequerna**

*Here wouldn't the genitive be necessary to express "of/from former times"?
**What does -querna at the end stand for? I searched and couldn’t find.

Apart from that, it looks just fine to me! :D
Gladhaniel
Rider of the Mark

Postby Vea mi olori » Sun Oct 02, 2011 1:25 am

Gladhaniel wrote:*Wouldn' the ëa ending indicate the present tense? I thought the infinitive for A-stems was unchanged and that it should stay saca-.

Yes, my mistake.

Gladhaniel wrote:**I don't understand the -in ending. It's actually the first time I encounter it, what does it mean? I doubt it would phonetically work in this case, though, because I think oi is not allowed in Quenya.

The-inending is the plural dative case, "for Xs". The i was a typo in this case, I believe, but it is a permitted vowel combination.

Gladhaniel wrote:***Again, I wonder about the use of hanyëa here. Regarding the accented a, I think it would indeed make sense — but only with the present tense since no vowel is lengthened in the past tense.

Yes, I got carried away. It should be past tensehanyanelmë.

Gladhaniel wrote:*Here wouldn't the genitive be necessary to express "of/from former times"?

Yes, sorry.

Gladhaniel wrote:**What does -querna at the end stand for? I searched and couldn’t find.

It's "turned", isolated fromnuqerna, "under-turned" in the sense of "reversed, turned upside down". So I applied it as "chill-turned" to express turned chill.

Sorry for the confusions!
Vea mi olori
Shield Bearer

Postby T0V3N » Mon Oct 03, 2011 11:45 pm

Hello,

Could I please have this translated into Quenya

"Too Beautiful for this world"
"Small and Fierce"
"Battle"
"Chance"

Thank you so much for being generous with your time and knowledge.
T0V3N

Postby avogel57 » Tue Oct 04, 2011 8:49 pm

Hello to all, and especially Vea mi olori!

I've been off creating for a good while now, but I wanted to let you know that I've finally posted the pieces that y'all helped me on; you can see them here: http://avogel57.deviantart.com/art/Nauglamir-252960747 and especially here: http://Avogel57.deviantart.com/art/Naug ... -261747755

I've left the download feature on, if anyone out there is interested. Thank you so much for all of your help!!
avogel57
Citizen of Imladris

Postby jackie broad » Fri Oct 07, 2011 9:50 am

jackie broad wrote:Hi there,
please coould you translate
Matrix I will never forget you
Thanks so much.
jackie broad

Postby Gladhaniel » Sat Oct 08, 2011 1:58 pm

I'd like to apologize for not coming earlier, guys. I've been very busy again. Hopefully I'll be able to help you a bit now. :D

T0V3N:

Too beautiful for this world

Acca vanya* Ambaren**

*There are many words for beautiful. Here I used vanya (general beauty indicating a lack of fault or of blemish); however, depending on the exact meaning you want, you could also use linda ("beautiful/fair of sound") or calwa/calima ("fair, proper, right"). Furthermore, I'm not quite certain about the word order here. Perhaps acca could come after the adjective?
**Here I did not add this because Ambar is a proper noun meaning "The World"; and I don't think this would make sense in this context, since there is only one World anyway.

Small and fierce

Níca/Nincë* ar tulca/polda**

*I'm confused with Tolkien’s vocabulary for small. Both of those words are said to mean "small with good senses," which I find rather strange - but I think they should do.
**There is no word for fierce specifically, so I translated strong instead. You can choose between tulca ("firm, immoveable, steadfast") and polda ("strong physically").

Battle

Ohta

Again, the limited vocabulary is causing problems. Nothing exists for battle - the closest I could come to it was with ohta war.

Chance

Valto

I'm not sure what meaning you wish here. If it is that of luck, I believe valto should be correct.

If you need those phrases for a tattoo or something else serious, I'd strongly suggest you wait that Vea mi olori comes and check before doing anything. :D

jackie broad:

Do you want "Matrix I will never forget you" or just "Matrix" to be translated? Also, can you please tell us what exact meaning of matrix you want? There is no direct Quenya translation, which means we will have to paraphrase the word - and it will help to know the specific meaning you wish. :)
Last edited by Gladhaniel on Mon Oct 10, 2011 9:12 am, edited 2 times in total.
Gladhaniel
Rider of the Mark

Postby Gladhaniel » Sat Oct 08, 2011 2:00 pm

avogel57 wrote:Hello to all, and especially Vea mi olori!

I've been off creating for a good while now, but I wanted to let you know that I've finally posted the pieces that y'all helped me on; you can see them here: http://avogel57.deviantart.com/art/Nauglamir-252960747 and especially here: http://Avogel57.deviantart.com/art/Naug ... -261747755

I've left the download feature on, if anyone out there is interested. Thank you so much for all of your help!!

Wow, this looks great! :D Thank you very much for sharing. :)
Gladhaniel
Rider of the Mark

Postby jojo5 » Mon Oct 10, 2011 7:33 am

Hello,
i would like to translate my name into quenya, my first name is Joris, in greek that means "farmer" and my last name is Bellissimo which means beautiful.
Could some someone help me ? :)
jojo5

Postby Gladhaniel » Mon Oct 10, 2011 9:35 am

jojo5:

I find hard to translate your request with cultural exactitude, because the name form we often have on Earth (first name + last name) is difficult to reconcile with the different naming traditions of Valinor, in which a person usually has a Father-Name (Ataressë), a Mother-Name (Amilessë) and an After-Name (Epessë).

What I can think of is translating your full name as "Farmer Son of Beauty" or, in the correct order for Quenya, "Son of Beauty - Farmer". This way we pretty much keep the meaning, and the name still makes sense in terms of Quenya naming traditions.

Vanession* Nandoron/Altaro**

*I don't think it's been proven that a final vowel can be omitted when followed by -ion, but since it's the case with -iel I assumed it would also work with the masculine suffix.
**Here you have the choice of using either nandoron [nandor (possibly obsolete word for farmer) + suffix -on (indicating masculinity) ]; or altaro, which can translate as "male who makes things grow".

Please wait for confirmation from Vea mi olori! :D
Gladhaniel
Rider of the Mark

Postby jojo5 » Mon Oct 10, 2011 10:55 am

Thank you very much, oh and sorry I forgot ! I wanted also the Sindarin translation... ^^
jojo5

Postby Gladhaniel » Mon Oct 10, 2011 12:02 pm

You're welcome! :D You can ask for a Sindarin translation there. :)
Gladhaniel
Rider of the Mark

Postby jojo5 » Mon Oct 10, 2011 3:13 pm

Merci :)
jojo5

Postby jackie broad » Mon Oct 10, 2011 11:46 pm

Hi

Matrix is the name of my cat. He was named after the film. Please translate the whole phrase.

Thank you!
jackie broad

Postby Gladhaniel » Wed Oct 19, 2011 4:26 am

jackie broad:

Since I found no words for never and forget, I changed the sentence so that it makes "Matrix, I will remember you forever". I hope it's okay for you. :)

[Matrix], enyaluvanyet tennoio.

I thought about the best way to translate "Matrix" and realized it might be better to simple 'Quenyize' it so it sounds more Quenya-like. I'm not sure it's the best way to do it, but that's the only satisfying solution I could come up with. If you decide to do that, I think you wouldn't have to modify it, because matrix would be a 'legal' word in Quenya already. :)

Please wait for confirmation from Vea, though. :D
Gladhaniel
Rider of the Mark

Postby seekawolf » Wed Oct 19, 2011 10:04 am

Hi,

Can you please translate this name?

"Zappa Wylde"

Thanks a bunch!
seekawolf

Postby Vea mi olori » Fri Oct 21, 2011 4:37 am

T0V3N

"Too Beautiful for this world"
Acca vanya/vanima ambaren sina

Sinasignifies "this".

"small and fierce" is pretty much as Gladhaniel said, with the choice betweenpoldaandtulca.

There isn't any word for battle, the best I could do isohtalúmë, which translates as "war-hour".

Chance has quite a few different meanings, and no direct Quenya translation. Fate isumbar, whereas luck isvalto.

jackie broad

The best I can come up with for "Matrix" is lanyanómë, which is literally "weave-place". And there isn't any word for "never" in Quenya, so "always remember" is the best translation. So it becomeslanyanómë enyaluvanyetyë tennoio. I've put the whole -tyëending because-tis mentioned elsewhere as a pronominal ending for "them", so I do the whole pronominal ending to avoid confusion.

seekawolf

What sort of translation do you want? If you're just after the Elven letters then repost in the Tengwar Transcription Thread. If you want the meaning translated into Quenya, then we can work on that for you, but we'll probably only be able to do an approximation.
Vea mi olori
Shield Bearer

PreviousNext

Return to Language