READ ONLY - Official Quenya Translation Thread - I

Tolkien's worlds were birthed out of his love of language and his work at creating new ones. Enter into discussions surrounding Tolkien's languages.

Postby Mizake » Mon Oct 24, 2011 3:15 pm

Hello Eldameldor! I have a favour to beg of you.

I've been trying to translate a phrase from the Return of the King into Quenya, but as this is my first attempt I suspect I've rather mangled it.

The phrase in question is:

In the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing; there was light and high beauty forever beyond its reach.

This is what I have so far (shown with gloss). Apologies for submitting this as an image - for some reason when I enter this as text my post is placed on mod hold for "usage of forbidden word":

I'm very unclear on word order and have obviously had to substitute a few words here and there. I'd like the opinion of someone more experienced than myself as to whether I'm even close to a decent translation - all suggestions welcome.

Thanks in advance for your time!

Miz.
Mizake
Petitioner to the Council

Postby Vea mi olori » Tue Oct 25, 2011 10:51 am

I would say close; adjectival word order is difficult in Quenya, and words like "this", "only" and "beyond" don't really help matters by being in odd places.

I wound up with this:

In (the) end (the) Shadow was (only?) (a) thing small and passing; light and [high/noble/lofty] beauty were its hands beyond forever

Mettassë Huinë né er nat nimpë ar langala; cala ar tána vanessë tané nét máryat pella tennoio

Words in brackets are present in English, but not in Quenya.

Huinëis capitalised because I've got it listed as an alternative name for Sauron, and it applies to Sauron in this phrase too.

erI'm really ont sure about. There is "one, only" being used, but it's also the root of[/b]Eru[/b], the name of God in Quenya(Eru er= "one God" etc), and using it in relation to the Shadow doesn't seem right with the inflections present in Quenya. I'm not sure it's needed in the sentence anyway.

Kudos for gettinglangalaright; It took me a while to get used to participles.

Tánawas just too good a fit for "high" to miss in this case, and so the original sentence structure could be retained.

The odd word order ofnét máryat pella"were its hands beyond" is becausepellais always a post position, so "beyond X" isX pellain Quenya. If you want a neater version, the preposition ishan. They both mean the same thing.

That's my take on it, anyway. Wait for Gladhaniel to give her opinion on the matter too, she might have a better take and/or correct any mistakes I may have made.
Vea mi olori
Shield Bearer

Postby Alacide » Tue Oct 25, 2011 8:35 pm

Good evening. I have a request if you have the time. I have a toybox I am making for my daughter and in the bottom in a compartment I would like to burn the phrase "Keep it secret, keep it safe." into the wood. Her name is Ella, would it be possible for you to translate her name and this phrase to Quenya for me? Thank you very much.
Alacide

Postby Mizake » Wed Oct 26, 2011 2:14 am

Thanks for all the time you've clearly spent on this, Vea mi olori - it's very much appreciated! Good to know that I was at least heading in the right direction with my own translation.

Your gloss of the phrase was very helpful in giving me a better insight into word order. I too was conflicted about the use of er, for the same reasons you yourself stated; but in the end I thought that it was too important to the meaning of the sentence to skip.

I noticed that you used langala to indicate "passing" where I had used autala - just wondering if this was a technical or a stylistic choice? I picked auta- for the sense of "fading, departing"; my original choice was vanwa but I believe this would mean "faded" and I'm not sure if there is an equivalent form vanala or similar.

Thanks too for pointing me to tána. I think I was getting frustrated at this point and decided to skip any adjectives that I could do without!

I'll wait to see if Gladhaniel has any comments to make - always good to get more feedback, since I'm so new at this.
Mizake

Postby Mizake » Wed Oct 26, 2011 2:48 am

Alacide

Hope Vea mi olori and Gladhaniel don't object to me jumping in here to help, since I was checking the response to my request. They are the experts, so you may want to wait for their response - but here's my take on the phrase you've chosen.

"Keep it secret, keep it safe"
Tiras muina, tiras varna.

As for your daughter's name, if you just want the name transcribed into Elven script then you should ask in the Tengwar Transcription thread. If you want to translate the name into Quenya then that should be possible, but the end result will be something of a compromise since I believe "Ella" simply means "She" (And Quenya has no distinction between male and female pronouns).
Mizake

Postby Vea mi olori » Wed Oct 26, 2011 3:38 pm

Mizake wrote:I noticed that you used langala to indicate "passing" where I had used autala - just wondering if this was a technical or a stylistic choice? I picked auta- for the sense of "fading, departing"; my original choice was vanwa but I believe this would mean "faded" and I'm not sure if there is an equivalent form vanala or similar.

I wouldn't usevanwaas it's a past participle, it's use would result in something like "the shadow [is] gone/left", which doesn't cover the passage from one state to another as explicitly as the active participlelangala. You wouldn't be able to apply-laas that would be trying to make a passive participle into an active participle! If you instead wanted to have the active participle ofauta-, "going away/leaving" it would beáutala(I think, I'm not 100% sure a diphthong can be a stem vowel, so you might want to keep the initial a short), givingHuinë né [er] nat nimpë ar autala which would translate "the shadow was only (a) thing small and going away/leaving", which might work but I'm not sure it gets the feeling of "passing" completely. It's close, but seems a little too definite a statement. It's up to you which you prefer.

Alacide

I got somewhat carried away with the above analysis, I'll get to your bits soon.
Vea mi olori
Shield Bearer

Postby Gladhaniel » Sat Oct 29, 2011 2:28 pm

Mizake:

I don't have much to say about Vea's translation of the sentence. :D It looks very good.

Mettassë Huinë né er* nat nimpë ar langala**; cala ar tána vanessë tané*** nét máryat pella tennoio.

*Like you two, I’m really not sure about er. It apparently takes the meaning of but in the sentence "I am but a boy", which I think would work for our sentence, but the parallel with Eru is something to consider. I guess it comes down to whether you wish to include the word more than you worry over possibly conflicting meanings. :)
**In the active participle, shouldn’t the stem-vowel be lengthened (lángala)?
***What does tané stand for?

Alacide:

Mizake wrote:Alacide

Hope Vea mi olori and Gladhaniel don't object to me jumping in here to help, since I was checking the response to my request. They are the experts, so you may want to wait for their response - but here's my take on the phrase you've chosen.

"Keep it secret, keep it safe"
Tiras muina, tiras varna.

I don't mind at all! :D Help is always welcome, especially since I don't consider myself an expert. hehe :)

I must admit I don't understand the verb tense you used — could you please enlighten me on that? I wonder if it's a way I don't know to make a verb imperative. :)
For my part, in this sentence I would construct imperatives by adding à before the verb (and put tir- in the aorist tense): À tiris muina, à tiris varna

As for Bella, every source I look at gives me a different translation! Maybe you could provide us with the etymological meaning your want your name to have, Alacide? :)
Last edited by Gladhaniel on Sun Oct 30, 2011 6:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Gladhaniel
Rider of the Mark

Postby Mizake » Sat Oct 29, 2011 2:44 pm

Evening Gladhaniel. Thanks for your help on all of these :)

First thing for me to look at is my (potentially warped) use of tir-. In my defence, I was referring to this wordlist.

tir- vb. "watch, watch over, guard, heed", 1st pers. aorist tirin "I watch", pa.t. tirne (TIR) , imperative tira (VT47:31) or á tire (PE17:94) , future tense tiruva "shall heed" in Markirya (also MC:213, 214); also in CO with pronominal endings: tiruvantes "they will guard it" ( tir-uva-nte-s "guard-will-they-it"). The stem also occurs in palantíri (q.v.), Tirion place-name "Great Watchtower", a city of the Elves (SA:tir; in MR:176 the translation is "Watchful City")

On this basis, I had two choices for the imperative case: either tira or á tire, and I picked the former, adding what I hoped was the appropriate pronomial suffix of -s. I'm guessing (without any real understanding of standard verb conjugation in Quenya) that it's irregular. Any thoughts?

M.
Mizake

Postby Gladhaniel » Sun Oct 30, 2011 6:12 am

Very interesting! It looks like it is irregular indeed. :) Then I guess I would privilege your alternative, it just looks/sounds better and less awkward. :D Thanks a lot for the heads up!
Gladhaniel
Rider of the Mark

Translation Please!

Postby vovoho1 » Fri Nov 04, 2011 6:30 am

If you would be so kind as to translate these phrases for me?
"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us"
and
"Not all those who wander are lost" (just to get confirmation from other sources)
Thanks in advance!
vovoho1

Postby vovoho1 » Fri Nov 04, 2011 4:55 pm

Sorry wring thread!
vovoho1

Postby jaktens » Sat Nov 05, 2011 11:12 am

Hi! I would like to know what is " Explore, Dream, Discover. " in Quenya. Thanks :)
jaktens

Postby jaktens » Sat Nov 05, 2011 12:50 pm

Hi! I would like to know what is " Explore, Dream, Discover. " in Quenya. Thanks :)
jaktens

Postby Gladhaniel » Sun Nov 06, 2011 6:05 pm

vovoho1:

So I assume you wanted a Tengwar transcription of those lines? :) No problem.

jaktens:

There are no Quenya words for explore and discover, so I tried to choose other words while keeping the original meaning as much as possible.

Á saca tië* á óla, á hirë handë**

*"Search/look for/pursur a path/direction/line/course/road"
**"Find knowledge/understanding"

I think we should wait that Vea comes and checks. :) Maybe he'll have better ideas! Besides, it's always better to have a second opinion. :D
Gladhaniel
Rider of the Mark

Postby jackie broad » Wed Nov 09, 2011 11:23 am

Hello

Thank you very much for your help!
jackie broad

Postby adomingo » Sun Nov 13, 2011 9:02 am

Hello guys! i need some help! if it's possible i would like to learn what does it means the followng

thank you very much![/img]
adomingo

Postby Aldant » Wed Nov 16, 2011 2:41 pm

Huh, hadn't looked at that thread for a while. Here was the aforementioned girl's original text:

"Diejenigen die glücklich sind,
müssen nicht immer das Beste haben;
Sie versuchen aber,
aus dem, was sie auf ihrem Weg finden, das Beste zu machen."

Translation:

"Those who are lucky/fortunate don't always have to have the best;
they do, however, try to make the best of what they find on their way."

For the records, here was my attempted translation to Quenya:

I alassie lehte nar maureo harya i arya;
mal nevinte care i arya tannen i tuvinte tientasse.
Aldant

Postby Isildilmë » Sun Nov 20, 2011 1:05 pm

adomingo wrote:Hello guys! i need some help! if it's possible i would like to learn what does it means the followng

[image]

"I harmar nar rá illumë"
The first line seems to be just the same, but stopped after two letters : "I h".

So.... something like "The treasures are for always"... but I think "rá" is supposed to mean "for" in the sense of "on behalf of" (so maybe they meant "The treasures are always on behalf of" ?), and "rá" should be followed by a dative, so the use here would not be ideal... but anyways wait for other opinion, Vea and Dhani are more expert in Quenya then me for now :D I just wanted to give a hand with the Tengwar reading at first.

:horse:

I also have a question for Dhani and Vea :)
Christmas is coming very quickly, and I'd like to have a collection of greeting ! As I still didn't have the time to reconnect with Quenya yet, I thought your advices would be great.

For example, many translations have been proposed for Merry Christmas by now :
    Alassëa Hristomerendë
    Alassëa Vinyarië
    Valin Elpinosta
    Valin Hristonosta
And so on...

Thanks for your opinion !
Concerning the Official Tengwar Transcription Thread - VI
To all the newbees, Welcome to TORC !
Before posting anything on this thread, READ THE INTRODUCTION. For now, I didn't have the time to update the intro, so I let you read the intro of thread #IV here.

If you have any questions, feel free to ask in the threads or by email (isildilme@hotmail.com - write "Tengwar" somewhere in the subject in case you fall in my junkmail, because if I don't know, I wont open the message !). Note that I don't accept transcription requests by email, you have to post them here !

You can address yourself to me in French, Spanish or English as you wish.

Special message : I have now two precious sons. They are my priorities, and an additional explanation for the delays in my answers. I WILL answer you... but you might have to wait. Thank you for your comprehension.
Isildilmë
Devoted to the Sheen

Postby Gladhaniel » Sun Nov 27, 2011 8:39 am

Aldant:

Your translation looks very good! :) As you will see, I changed the first sentence a lot, but I guess it's mostly a matter of preference. Regarding the second line, I almost kept everything like you had written it:

Queni ye haryar valto umer harya illumë i arya
Mal nevinte carë i arya as* i tuvintë tientassë.

People who have/possess luck must not always have/possess the best
But they try to make the best with what they find on their way.

*I'm not sure we can construct "make the best" literally like that, so I changed it to "make the best with" so that it's not an idiom anymore.

My translation might not be 100% exact, though. I suggest you wait for Vea mi olori to come and give his input as well! :D

Isildilmë wrote:
adomingo wrote:Hello guys! i need some help! if it's possible i would like to learn what does it means the followng

[image]

"I harmar nar rá illumë"
The first line seems to be just the same, but stopped after two letters : "I h".

So.... something like "The treasures are for always"... but I think "rá" is supposed to mean "for" in the sense of "on behalf of" (so maybe they meant "The treasures are always on behalf of" ?), and "rá" should be followed by a dative, so the use here would not be ideal... but anyways wait for other opinion, Vea and Dhani are more expert in Quenya then me for now :D I just wanted to give a hand with the Tengwar reading at first.

:horse:

Thank you very much for the help with the Tengwar part, Isildilmë! :D

I think I agree with everything you said. I also feel like the use of might not be ideal in this context: the way I see it, presumably the author of the sentence wanted to say "for ever," in which case we have the attested construction tennoio ( or oialë everlastingly). :)

Isildilmë wrote:I also have a question for Dhani and Vea :)
Christmas is coming very quickly, and I'd like to have a collection of greeting ! As I still didn't have the time to reconnect with Quenya yet, I thought your advices would be great.

Alassëa Hristomerendë
    Alassëa Vinyarië
    Valin Elpinosta
    Valin Hristonosta
And so on...

I think those should be correct. :) I believe their English translations go approximately like this:

Joyous Christ-Feast
Joyous New Year's Day
Happy Christ-birth(day)*
Happy Christ-birth(day)

*My guess is that one no was lost when Epino Christ and nosta birth(day) were merged together, to avoid the weird construction Epinonosta. :)
Gladhaniel
Rider of the Mark

Postby Gladhaniel » Sun Nov 27, 2011 8:40 am

jackie broad wrote:Hello

Thank you very much for your help!

You're very welcome! :D
Gladhaniel
Rider of the Mark

Postby Isildilmë » Mon Nov 28, 2011 5:51 am

Gladhaniel wrote:
Isildilmë wrote:I also have a question for Dhani and Vea :)

Alassëa Hristomerendë
    Alassëa Vinyarië
    Valin Elpinosta
    Valin Hristonosta
And so on...

I think those should be correct. :) I believe their English translations go approximately like this:

Joyous Christ-Feast
Joyous New Year's Day
Happy Christ-birth(day)*
Happy Christ-birth(day)

*My guess is that one no was lost when Epino Christ and nosta birth(day) were merged together, to avoid the weird construction Epinonosta. :)

Wonderful... and any suggestion for Happy New Year or any greetings you think of ? :D Maybe a greeting that sounds more "Elvish" too... we could adapt the greeting "A star shines on the hour of our meeting" for the new year... hmmm, let's think of something...

*racking her brain*
Before posting anything on this thread, READ THE INTRODUCTION. For now, I didn't have the time to update the intro, so I let you read the intro of thread #IV here.

If you have any questions, feel free to ask in the threads or by email (isildilme@hotmail.com - write "Tengwar" somewhere in the subject in case you fall in my junkmail, because if I don't know, I wont open the message !). Note that I don't accept transcription requests by email, you have to post them here !

Special message : I have now two precious sons. They are my priorities, and an additional explanation for the delays in my answers. I WILL answer you... but you might have to wait. Thank you for your comprehension.
Isildilmë
Devoted to the Sheen

Postby Isildilmë » Mon Nov 28, 2011 6:38 am

maybe something like "May a star shine on this new year for you" or reduced to "May a star shine on your new year"... what do you think of that ? and after we have to translate it... For intimate friends I think of Nai elen síla vinya coranarelya/loalya, or maybe even Nai elen síla vinyacoranarelya/vinyaloalya, as vinya seems to be used in compounds... and maybe replacing the -lya endings for -lla if I want a more formal singular second person ? but I may be all wrong, I have not practice enough ! Just tell me what you think.

And for just "Happy new year", do you think that Valin vinya coranar/loa or Valin vinyacoranar/vinyaloa ?

For year I'm not sure... it is said that loa is more used then coranar, but as it was given a lit. meaning of "growth", so I had the impression it was more used for age (I'm __ years old, etc.), while with coranar there is no doubt that we are talking about the length of a revolution around the sun... but I may be wrong for that too... what is your opinion ?

I'll have a lot of fun with my greeting cards :wink:

Isildilmë
Devoted to the Sheen

Postby Gladhaniel » Mon Nov 28, 2011 7:14 pm

Isildilmë wrote:maybe something like "May a star shine on this new year for you" or reduced to "May a star shine on your new year"... what do you think of that ? and after we have to translate it... For intimate friends I think of Nai elen síla vinya coranarelya/loalya, or maybe even Nai elen síla vinyacoranarelya/vinyaloalya, as vinya seems to be used in compounds... and maybe replacing the -lya endings for -lla if I want a more formal singular second person ? but I may be all wrong, I have not practice enough ! Just tell me what you think.

And for just "Happy new year", do you think that Valin vinya coranar/loa or Valin vinyacoranar/vinyaloa ?

For year I'm not sure... it is said that loa is more used then coranar, but as it was given a lit. meaning of "growth", so I had the impression it was more used for age (I'm __ years old, etc.), while with coranar there is no doubt that we are talking about the length of a revolution around the sun... but I may be wrong for that too... what is your opinion ?

I'll have a lot of fun with my greeting cards :wink:

Those sentences are absolutely lovely! :) I especially like "May a star shine on your new year," since it's both poetic and very Tolkien-related. :D

I'm not too sure about the versions with vinya as compound, though. Personally, I think I would write the words separately, because the only instances of vinya-compounds that I know of are in proper names - which isn't the case in our situation. Unless you have other examples to show me? :D I would love to hear them if you have some.

As for the different suffixes for your, I was rather under the impression that -lya was formal/polite and that a more familiar/intimate choice would be -tya - but I might be wrong. :) Also, since we want to add the genitive case (-o) to say "shine ON your new year," I believe our suffixes should be transformed into -lyo and -tyo.

The choice of word for year seems a bit tricky indeed! My sources say that coranar is the year in a strictly astronomical sense, and that loa is used when seasonal changes are taken into consideration; so I guess you can take any of them, depending on the exact meaning you want. :D

With all of this, here are my versions of the sentences:
Nai elen síla vinya coranarelyo/coranaretyo
Nai elen síla vinya loalyo/loatyo
Valin vinya coranar/loa

I can't wait to write greeting cards either! :D
Gladhaniel
Rider of the Mark

Postby Isildilmë » Tue Nov 29, 2011 10:28 am

Gladhaniel wrote:I'm not too sure about the versions with vinya as compound, though. Personally, I think I would write the words separately, because the only instances of vinya-compounds that I know of are in proper names - which isn't the case in our situation. Unless you have other examples to show me? :D I would love to hear them if you have some.

That is exactly what I was thinking... the more I think of it, the more I want to use separate words.
Gladhaniel wrote:As for the different suffixes for your, I was rather under the impression that -lya was formal/polite and that a more familiar/intimate choice would be -tya - but I might be wrong. :)

I think I'm wrong... I mixed a few things while I was taking notes on the course, and I had the project to read these parts again later, but I didn't have the time. Your version makes more sense with the rest of my notes. You might be right :)
Gladhaniel wrote:Also, since we want to add the genitive case (-o) to say "shine ON your new year," I believe our suffixes should be transformed into -lyo and -tyo.

Mais quelle cruche, vraiment ! :bang: The worst is that when I decided to transcribe it, the first thing I checked for is the genitive case ending... and then I forgot about it and didn't apply ! :doh:
Gladhaniel wrote:The choice of word for year seems a bit tricky indeed! My sources say that coranar is the year in a strictly astronomical sense, and that loa is used when seasonal changes are taken into consideration; so I guess you can take any of them, depending on the exact meaning you want. :D

I though we were using the same wordlist... but this thing about seasonal changes wasn't written in mine, if my memory is good... Not sure about the exact meaning I want... I may take the one which sounds better ! In this case, I like loa, and it might also have the better signification, as for most of us the year is seen as the passage of all the seasons, instead of the circle around the sun...
Gladhaniel wrote:With all of this, here are my versions of the sentences:
Nai elen síla vinya coranarelyo/coranaretyo
Nai elen síla vinya loalyo/loatyo
Valin vinya coranar/loa

I can't wait to write greeting cards either! :D

How nice ! I'll note them all, transcribe them in Tengwar (and maybe even in Sarati if I have the time !) and show again to all my relatives how sick I am :wink:

If you want [them], come and claim [them] :rofl:

Isildilmë
Devoted to the Sheen

Postby Gladhaniel » Wed Nov 30, 2011 8:01 pm

Great! :D I would surely like to see the results when you're done. :)
Gladhaniel
Rider of the Mark

Postby Isildilmë » Sat Dec 03, 2011 10:34 am

Help, I want to check something, as my notes are not clear for now :
Pronouns for you :
Singular : -tyë = intimate, -lyë = formal
Plural : -ccë = intimate, -llë = formal

Do you have the same thing ?

Possessive for your:
The only attested I find is -lya, for you (maybe more for formal singular ?)
we discussed about a possible ending -tya for intimate singular, but is it just that we supposed we can take the ending hare above, change the ë for a (so -tya, -cca, -lla) and use them, or if it was said somewhere ? Is it better to use just -lya for all the "your", if we lack infos ?

I would have love to have all the possibilities, as I'll write to many kinds of people, singular and plural, etc.

Thanks for you opinion ! I have to end these cards soon !

Isildilmë
Devoted to the Sheen

Postby Gladhaniel » Sat Dec 03, 2011 12:32 pm

Isildilmë wrote:Help, I want to check something, as my notes are not clear for now :
Pronouns for you :
Singular : -tyë = intimate, -lyë = formal
Plural : -ccë = intimate, -llë = formal

Do you have the same thing ?

The singular seems fine. :) For the plural, my notes say that -llë was eventually abandoned and that the general ending for 2nd person plural is -ldë. I don't know about any formal/intimate distinction in the plural, though. :(

Isildilmë wrote:Possessive for your:
The only attested I find is -lya, for you (maybe more for formal singular ?)
we discussed about a possible ending -tya for intimate singular, but is it just that we supposed we can take the ending hare above, change the ë for a (so -tya, -cca, -lla) and use them, or if it was said somewhere ? Is it better to use just -lya for all the "your", if we lack infos ?

I would have love to have all the possibilities, as I'll write to many kinds of people, singular and plural, etc.

Thanks for you opinion ! I have to end these cards soon !

Well, Ardalambion's wordlist says -tyë, -lyë and -ldë all have their corresponding possessives. :) So if we follow the logic of the rest of my post, the summary should look like:

Singular (intimate): -tyë / possessive: -tya
Singular (formal): -lyë / possessive: -tya
General plural (intimate and/or formal?): -ldë / possessive: -lda
Gladhaniel
Rider of the Mark

Postby Isildilmë » Sat Dec 03, 2011 12:47 pm

Thanks ! I'll compare the wordlist and the course, which seem to differ on many points !

Isildilmë
Devoted to the Sheen

Postby heckelucas » Wed Dec 07, 2011 3:24 pm

Hi,

Could you translate it for me?

the right person, the wrong time.
the right time, the wrong person.
heckelucas

Postby Vea mi olori » Mon Dec 12, 2011 1:40 pm

Hi all!

Sorry I've been away for so long, life has been busy and I've been distracted with other things until now. Will try to do things more regularly on here from now.

heckelucas

There is no general word for time, so I've substituted "hour" instead":

the right person, the wrong hour.
the right hour, the wrong person.

I téra quen, I raica lúmë
I téra lúmë, I raica quen

I initially used the wordquencompounded with the adjectives, i.e.téraquen, raicaquen, but to do that is to permanently assign the quality to a person. If you wanted the sentiment that it would always be the right or wrong person (I would imagine not, in such a contingency-based sentence), then you could join them up.

I like the festive thoughts! I would translate your phrase as "may a star shine on your new year", reducing the complexity and makingNai elen silë vinyacoranarolya/tya*.

My own thoughts would lean away from stars, as they're already used very heavily in Quenya, so a bit of fresh idiom is needed! Something like "May the Valar [be smiling] on your new year":Nai Valar raitëatë vinyacoranarolya/tya.

For Christmas... difficult as we have no way of knowing how the Elves would have viewed Christmas, but as the word is derived in English from "Christ mass", i.e. Christ's feast day, we can have something likemerendë Hristova(literally "Christ's feast") or, more speculatively,Hristomerendë. As for a phrase, I'd go with something likeI alassë Hristomerendëo tielyanna"The joy of [Christmas] on your path" orI alassë Hristomerendëo lyenna"The joy of [Christmas] to you/upon you".

I hope those suggestions have made up a little for my unforgivable absence!

*I havevinyamar[b]as a place-name and[b]vinyariëas a phrase for "new year's day" so I don't think the compounding is just restricted to proper names.
Last edited by Vea mi olori on Tue Dec 13, 2011 1:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Vea mi olori
Shield Bearer

PreviousNext

Return to Language