READ ONLY - Official Quenya Translation Thread - I

Tolkien's worlds were birthed out of his love of language and his work at creating new ones. Enter into discussions surrounding Tolkien's languages.

Postby DanFraser » Thu Jul 21, 2011 12:31 pm

Just had a thought about the son and daughter section. Thinking of My Children instead. Found hina as child with hini for the plural. I take it adding "-nya" is correct to make it "My Children"?
DanFraser
Petitioner to the Council

Postby Gladhaniel » Thu Jul 21, 2011 1:08 pm

I can't send any PM because I'm not a Premiere Member.. :( Would you happen to have an email address to give me instead, please? I'd be happy to send you an email with sources! :)

DanFraser wrote:Just had a thought about the son and daughter section. Thinking of My Children instead. Found hina as child with hini for the plural. I take it adding "-nya" is correct to make it "My Children"?

Yes, I think that would work! :D I'm curious as to why the plural is said to be hini instead of hinar, but if it says so in the dictionary I guess it can be considered true. ;)

So yes, according to me hininya would be correct. :) Like you said, at least it's going to make three possessive infixes instead of four, which is already slightly better and less repetitive! :P
Gladhaniel
Rider of the Mark

Postby DanFraser » Thu Jul 21, 2011 1:40 pm

Didn't know it was restrictive about the PM's.

Here's my main email, spam doesn't bother the filters: danielfras@gmail.com
DanFraser

Postby Gladhaniel » Thu Jul 21, 2011 6:24 pm

Email sent. :)
Gladhaniel
Rider of the Mark

Postby Gladhaniel » Mon Jul 25, 2011 6:51 am

Here is a sentence that a person I know would like to get confirmed. :) She is going to get it for a tattoo and wants it to be approved by more than one person, to make sure it's correct. :D

Nán alassëa i nanén ontaina ve sin.
"Proud to be born this way" or, more textually, "I am joyous that I was born like this"

Edit: Translation/confirmation is not needed anymore. :)
Last edited by Gladhaniel on Tue Aug 02, 2011 7:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Gladhaniel
Rider of the Mark

Postby Gladhaniel » Thu Jul 28, 2011 6:22 am

Riniel:

Riniel wrote:I want to engrave this on a custom bow I made from scratch I want it in Tengwar can you help? I think my translation is correct but could you check it. Thank you

I am Fledgling the hunters bow, straight and true my arrows fly.

Nanye Fledgling i rautie quinga, lenwa ar anwa ninya pilin vil

I'm not sure it's correct either, but I would say your sentence that way. :)

Nán(yë) Fledgling i quinga i roitarwa*, téravë ar anwavë pilininya vilir.**

*This means approximately the bow from the hunter. Perhaps it would be possible to create an adjectival title to make it sound more grandiose, e.g. Róitalaquinga (hunting bow). I'm not sure about the accent on the o, though!
**I thought it might make more sense to write it this way: straight(ly) and truly my arrows fly. Maybe it could be replaced by pilininya víla (vílla?) nar térar ar anwar, which should mean my flying arrows are straight and true.

You probably noticed that I used téra instead of lenwa. It's because I'm not certain that lenwa long, thin, narrow would be correct in this sentence and thought téra right might be better.

Please wait for confirmation from at least another person! :D
Last edited by Gladhaniel on Sun Jul 31, 2011 6:56 am, edited 2 times in total.
Gladhaniel
Rider of the Mark

one last bit... :)

Postby avogel57 » Thu Jul 28, 2011 7:52 pm

Im working on this drawing of the Necklace of the dwarves, and Ive already got a large Sindarin element; however, Im trying to tie in all the peoples that were associated with it, so Ive got a rather petulant passage that I am goung to transcribe into runes, and a bit that I was hoping you could help me translate into Quenya. Essentially, I want to sumarize the entire Silmarillion in less than a paragraph; blasphemy, I know, but Im hoping it will look good:

From the light of the two trees, that were nurtured by the Valar, came this stone

Harnessed by the greatest skill that ever there was of the Eldar

Coveted and captured by the mightyest of evil, yet recovered from the dark by the hand of Man

Freed from the bounds of the World, shinning as a beacon of beauty and hope to all

This isnt Tolkien or canon or anything, just a summary I wrote up, so if you have to fiddle with the language a bit to match up with the available vocabulary, no biggie. I didnt get any bites last time I posted this, but I figure most of us are busy in real life; if someone can help me out that'd be great, but if not, ce est la vie!
avogel57
Citizen of Imladris

Postby vforval » Fri Jul 29, 2011 2:46 am

hi everyone, Gladhaniel has very kindly provided "huorë" as the translation for "courage" and i was wondering if anyone has a different take on this? any assistance is greatly appreciated! :)
vforval

Postby Gladhaniel » Fri Jul 29, 2011 6:25 am

avogel57:

I spent a lot of time on your request and finally came up with something that shouldn't be too bad. :D

Ho i cala/cálë* i alduva ontainë ló i Valar, sar/ondo* sina tullë
From the light of the two trees created by the Valar, this stone came

Turúna ló i ammára curu ya engië imíca i Eldar
Mastered by the the best skill that has existed among the Eldar

Mer(i)na* ar mápaina ó i antúra ulco, ná(n)* mápaina ata i mórello/morniello* ló i má i Atanwa.
Desired and seized by the greatest evil, but taken again from the dark(ness) by Man's hands.

Leryaina ar lá nauta ló i Ambar, cálëas ve i tintínala vanessë ar estel ilquenin.
Set free and not bound by the world, it is shining like a sparkling beauty and hope for everybody.

*: I am uncertain about the word choice or construction
*: you have the choice between two things!

There might be mistakes in there (in fact I'm pretty sure there will be), so please wait for a second opinion! :)

vforval:

I do hope someone will come to confirm your word at some point.. :O I saw Isildilmë has already transcribed huorë for you, right? Let's hope it was the right word. :)
Gladhaniel
Rider of the Mark

Postby fearless_Arwen » Fri Jul 29, 2011 8:32 am

Hello everyone!
i am going to have a tattoo and like the following phrase:
"May all stars shine upon your path"
Please can anyone help me to find the translation?
And please, if it is possible, for this, too:
the name "Irene"
"Arwen evenstar"
and the text "The world is changed. I feel it in the water. I feel it in the earth. I smell it in the air."
Thank you very much, would be nice!!!!!
fearless_Arwen

Postby fearless_Arwen » Fri Jul 29, 2011 8:32 am

hmm i forgot to confirm, please translate it into quenya, thanx :)
fearless_Arwen

Postby Gladhaniel » Fri Jul 29, 2011 1:02 pm

fearless_Arwen:

It's great that you found your way to this thread! :D I see you slightly changed your request? :) Just in case you didn't notice and are still interested in the translation of May all stars shine upon your path in Sindarin, Xandarien corrected this sentence in the Tengwar Transcription Thread. Here is what (s)he said. If you want to discuss the sentence further, you can always continue the Sindarin conversation here! :D

Xandarien wrote:Hi there, if I might be so bold...

No in elenath hîlar nan hâd gîn = should be No in elenath sílo am bâd gîn

the 'hîlar' is a part of a verb that doesn't exist and shouldn't be lenited in the first place! nan = to a place, not 'upon' and hâd' means er...well it doesn't mean path anyway. It looks like either a badly lenited version of 'sad' or a form of the verb to hurl with an accent on it!

Okay, and now let's proceed with the Quenya translation you requested. :) Please be patient and wait that a second person comes and gives his opinion before you give your tattoo request to Isildilmë, okay? Everything I tell you might not be entirely true!

May all stars shine upon your path.

Nai ilyë eleni sílar tiel(ye)nna.

Irene

Everywhere I looked, I found peace(ful) as the etymological meaning of "Irene". In Quenya, there are different words for peace depending on the specific meaning, and I'm not sure which one applies best to the etymology.

sérë repose, rest
rainë peace, as opposed to war
sívë peace

Personally, I'm inclined to think the second one must be the desired meaning. So you could add a feminine suffix to that, to obtain names such as:

Rainewendë Peace(ful) Girl/Maiden
Raineníssë Peace(ful) Female/Woman
Rainië Peace (feminine)
Rainien Peace (feminine)
Rainiel Daughter of Peace, Peace Daughter

(In the three last names I cut the final ë of rainë so it flows better, but I'm not sure one can actually do that.)

Arwen Evenstar

Arwen's original name, "Arwen Undómiel", is Sindarin. Arwen means high/noble maiden in Sindarin, and of course Undómiel stands for evenstar. So in Quenya, I would translated it like this:

Artawendë* Sinyelen**

*On the Tolkien Gataway they give Aranwen as a possibility, and they also mention it might be possible to leave it like in Sindarin.
**Contraction of sinyë evening and elen star. Perhaps a bit awkward.

The world is changed. I feel it in the water. I feel it in the earth. I smell it in the air.

Ambar ná ahyan(i?)na. Felnyes mí nén. Felnyes mí cemen. Nolnyes* mí vista.

*Nol- is has not been attested and would probably represent no "modern" Quenya (in the time of LotR), so I'm not sure it can be used. I could find nothing else to propose instead, though.

Again, fearless_arwen, please wait for another point of view before doing anything! :)
Gladhaniel
Rider of the Mark

Postby fearless_Arwen » Fri Jul 29, 2011 1:29 pm

Dear Gladhaniel,
thank you very much for your translation!! Okay, i will wait for another opinion. Because I don't understand anything and I will have to trust fully on someone else translation :)
fearless_Arwen

Postby Gladhaniel » Fri Jul 29, 2011 3:12 pm

fearless_Arwen wrote:Dear Gladhaniel,
thank you very much for your translation!! Okay, i will wait for another opinion. Because I don't understand anything and I will have to trust fully on someone else translation :)

You're very welcome, I'm glad when I can help. :) Thanks for your patience! :D
Gladhaniel
Rider of the Mark

Postby Keribu » Sat Jul 30, 2011 11:17 am

Would you be able to translate "Manchester City" please? Or would that go straight into the Tengwar thread? It is a football team name, so obviously Tolkien wouldn't have a word for Manchester.

Many Thanks,
Keribu.
Keribu

Postby avogel57 » Sat Jul 30, 2011 7:58 pm

Gladhaniel--

Sweet, thank you! I want to mix/interweave the Quenya with dwarvish runes to emphasize the united story of the necklace of the dwarves :)

Alex
avogel57
Citizen of Imladris

Postby Gladhaniel » Sun Jul 31, 2011 6:41 am

Keribu:

I saw that Xandarien proposed in the Sindarin thread to translate "Manchester City" with Ost Garth. For my part, I'm really not that confident when it comes to etymology, but I found something else that might work. :)

I looked at different places and it seems like the name "Manchester City" would be a combination of breast-like hill and town. So maybe it would be possible to translate it like this:

Osto i ambova/orowa ya ná ve ambos
Town of the hill/mound which is like breast

or Osto i ambova/orowa sestaina ambosen
Town of the hill/mound likened to (a) breast

Though doing it like that might be somewhat long and awkward, perhaps. :P Another possibility would be to "Quenyize" the whole thing, which means making it sound more Quenya-like. For example, it could be:

Mantestë Otso

Here I changed "Manchester" a bit and translated city to otso. I didn't feel confident with changing city to make it sound Quenya, because it is a short and simple word and it would risk creating confusion with already existing words.

Of course, you can also leave it simple and ask "Manchester City" to be translated directly into Tengwar. :D If a Quenya translation still interests you, though, you should wait for at least another point of view before doing anything. :) There might be mistakes in what I did, I was just giving it a try to see if I could come up with anything coherent. ;)

avogel57:

You're welcome! :D Your idea sounds very amazing. :)
Gladhaniel
Rider of the Mark

Postby Keribu » Mon Aug 01, 2011 5:13 am

Thanks for the reply, I will take the translations to the Tengwar thread and see what they come up with over there!

Many Thanks,
Keribu.
Keribu

Postby Gladhaniel » Mon Aug 01, 2011 6:21 am

Keribu wrote:Thanks for the reply, I will take the translations to the Tengwar thread and see what they come up with over there!

Many Thanks,
Keribu.

You do know the accuracy of what I did isn't certain, right? :O I can't guarantee at all that it's correct, since I'm only a beginner. Of course you do as you wish, but if I were you I would wait for confirmation before asking for the transcription. :)
Gladhaniel
Rider of the Mark

Postby Mirry » Thu Aug 04, 2011 3:03 pm

Hi there!

I'm thinking about getting a tattoo of my first and second names in Quenya but have come across a few different translations.

For my first name, "Miriam", my favourite meaning is "wished for child" and my second name is "Rebekah" which means "bound/tied".

One website gave the translations "Mernaseldë" and "Nuntië" for Miriam and Rebekah respectively. Another gave "Seldirima" and "Buieruwen" but didn't specify whether this was Quenya or Sindarin (or something else entirely!).

Any opinions on which translations (if any!) are most accurate would be much appreciated. :)
Mirry

Postby Gladhaniel » Fri Aug 05, 2011 5:16 am

Mirry:

Relying on the names and etymologies you gave me (Miriam/"wished-for child"; and Rebekah/bound, tied), I took a look at different websites I know to try to find the alternatives you came up with, and here is what I found:

(1a) Mernaseldë ~ Miram/"wished-for child"
This one comes from CouncilOfElrond, right? I think it is correct, because it seems to be made of the passive participle of mer wish + seldë child, formerly daughter. Furthermore, it sounds pretty feminine because of the ending in ë, which is sometimes used in Quenya names to express a "female doer".

(1b) Seldirima ~ Miram/"wished-for child"
I found it on Arwen-Undómiel. It seems to be the Sindarin translation of Mariam; however its etymological meaning apparently corresponds to that of Miriam as well, namely "desired child". For Miriam, they give Eärwen "Mistress of the Sea" instead (which sounds rather Quenya to me).

(2a) Nuntië ~ Rebekah/bound, tied
I'm pretty unsure about this one. I saw it on CouncilOfElrond, where it is stated to mean tied. I'm guessing it must be the past form of nut- tie, but then why Nuntië instead of Nuntë?

(2b) Buieruwen ~ Rebekah/bound, tied
Again, I found this one on Arwen-Undómiel, and I believe it must be Sindarin. The given meaning, however, is not what you were seeking: it is said to be "Servant of God".

So in the end, (1a) is the only one I'm pretty sure about, whereas (1b) and (2b) seem to be Sindarin.

(2a) is uncertain to me, and I might have something else to propose for Rebekah. It actually depends on the exact meaning of its etymology bound, tied in this particular name. As mentioned, I believe Nuntië (or whatever it is exactly) would be the past tense, probably indicating that Rebekah is the one who has tied something/someone. However, if one wishes to say it is Rebekah who is tied/bound, then maybe I would use the past participle like in (1a) instead. So the result would be something like Nútinawendë "tied maiden". Another way to express that Rebekah is the one to bind could be Nutillë, Nutimë, Nutirë "female who ties", I think. :)

So that was my take on it. I strongly suggest that you don't do anything before at least another person gives her input as well! We're talking about getting this inked into your skin, after all. :D
Gladhaniel
Rider of the Mark

Postby Mirry » Fri Aug 05, 2011 1:26 pm

Thanks very much Gladhaniel :)

I'm not 100% certain about getting the tattoo just yet anyway so there's plenty of time for me to get more input - I may even end up ignoring my second name if the translation is dubious, and I don't want it to end up too long either so that may be for the best!

Ayway thanks again!
Mirry

Postby Gladhaniel » Sat Aug 06, 2011 5:13 am

Mirry wrote:Thanks very much Gladhaniel :)

I'm not 100% certain about getting the tattoo just yet anyway so there's plenty of time for me to get more input - I may even end up ignoring my second name if the translation is dubious, and I don't want it to end up too long either so that may be for the best!

Ayway thanks again!

It was a pleasure! :)

It's nice to hear you don't need the translation for a specific deadline, like it's the case for many people. At least there is no stress! :D Thanks for your patience. :)
Gladhaniel
Rider of the Mark

Postby ruthegross » Sat Aug 06, 2011 5:47 am

Thank so much for getting back to me.
Sorry been away so delayed response :)
ruthegross

new tatoo

Postby bboyireland » Mon Aug 08, 2011 2:56 am

hi there, could anyone please translate this quote for me in quenya and sindarin?

life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain

thats for my new tatoo :wink: cant wait to have it done :lol:
bboyireland

Postby Gladhaniel » Mon Aug 08, 2011 5:12 am

bboyireland:

I had to rephrase the sentence several times to make something coherent, and what I came up with is this. :)

Coivië umë merë i raumo autáva, nas parë* liltië mi** mistë.
Life is not to wish that (the) storm will pass, it is to learn dancing in (the) rain.

*I'm not sure par- can be used in that context, because Ardalambion's wordlist says it implies 'acquiring information, not by experience or observation, but by communication, by the instruction, or by written accounts, of others'. There seems to be no word for the kind of learning your sentence refers to, so I don't quite know what to do.
**Perhaps it would be better to write "learn dancing under the rain" instead? In this case, mi should be replaced by nu. :)

Please wait for clarifications/confirmation form at least another person before thinking of using the Quenya sentence. :D
Gladhaniel
Rider of the Mark

Postby Gladhaniel » Mon Aug 08, 2011 7:12 am

Hello everyone! :D

Vea mi olori, the chief translator of this thread, sent me an email today, saying he had found time to take a look at my translations and comment them. He sent me some specifications already and will continue to do so in the next days, I suppose.

I know it has been a while since some requests have been posted, but Vea mi olori has been very busy and did the best he could. Probably some of you were in a rush for a tattoo or something similar, but patience is required as we all have our lives besides Quenya translation. :) Thank you all for waiting, and hopefully some of you have still been looking at the thread and will read about the developments. ;)

For the ones whose requests are not addressed in this post, please have a bit more patience: confirmation will come soon! :) I promise I will compile every comment/modification I receive as quick as possible. :D

As for the translations, it seems like the current procedure will be carried on with. In other words, for the time being I will continue translating every new request (pretty quickly as always) and will ask you to be patient until I receive a confirmation email and share the final translation with you.

The translations in this post are FINAL. The modifications by Vea mi olori are indicated in
GREEN.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

effou:
It's a beautiful life

Nás* elmendanqua coivië It's a wonderful life
Coivië ná* elmendanqua Life is wonderful

*Both of these can be replaced by Ëa/ëa if you wish that is is used in the absolute sense, less trivially than the regular verb to be.

Laerminuial:
Fear no darkness

Áva rucë mornië/mórë or Álarucë mornië/mórë, both meaning Don't fear darkness

Lmleland:
My memories will be part of the sky

Apparently what I did wasn't wrong, but since Vea mi olori came up with something more similar to your original sentence I will give you his translation:

Sanwernya enyaliëo nauva ranta telumo My thoughts of recall will be part of the sky/canopy

DanFraser:
Forever in my heart and soul, my daughter and my son
Amelia Grace Peggy and Dexter James Roy

Tennoio* endanyassë ar fëanyassë**, yendenya ar yonya***

*Contrary to what I had found, illumë always, tennoio is the exact meaning you were seeking, namely forever, so it is better.
**Here you could leave it like I had said: mi endanya a fëanya instead of endanyassë ar fëanyassë. It's just that I used separate prepositions, whereas Vea mi olori employed the locative case ending; whichever you like best!
***I'm not too sure anymore if híninya instead of yendenya ar yonya would be correct, since hína seems to be irregular in terms of adding suffixes, so I'd suggest you leave it with "my daughter and my son", even if it does sound somewhat redundant.

Andaricë* Eruanna Marilla ar Formaitë** Encaitar*** Carniaran****

*Means long-striving in the aorist tense. I tend to agree with this tense: in this context it seems better than employing the present tense.
**Here the ending is slightly changed. In comparison to what I had said, Formaitenér, where there was a masculine infix at the end, here formaitë righthanded is kept unchanged.
***Vea mi olori says "James is from Jacob, which translates from Hebrerw as "heel-grasper, usurper" which is Encaitar in Quenya."
****For this one, it seems Vea mi olori kept the most regular word for red, carnë, in comparison to aira, which I thought might hint at red hair. Perhaps it would be safer to choose that alternative, since carnë is certainly correct whereas aira might be somewhat obscure.
Gladhaniel
Rider of the Mark

Postby bboyireland » Mon Aug 08, 2011 2:49 pm

Gladhaniel wrote:bboyireland:

I had to rephrase the sentence several times to make something coherent, and what I came up with is this. :)

Coivië umë merë i raumo autáva, nas parë* liltië mi** mistë.
Life is not to wish that (the) storm will pass, it is to learn dancing in (the) rain.

*I'm not sure par- can be used in that context, because Ardalambion's wordlist says it implies 'acquiring information, not by experience or observation, but by communication, by the instruction, or by written accounts, of others'. There seems to be no word for the kind of learning your sentence refers to, so I don't quite know what to do.
**Perhaps it would be better to write "learn dancing under the rain" instead? In this case, mi should be replaced by nu. :)

Please wait for clarifications/confirmation form at least another person before thinking of using the Quenya sentence. :D

Thank you verry much for getting back to me so fast,
so now ill be waiting for the chief translator of this tread to confirm your translationit and ill be ready to go than:)
cant wait to get that confirmed, ill be herer few times a day
thanks again
bboyireland

Postby Gladhaniel » Mon Aug 08, 2011 5:42 pm

You're welcome! :) Great, I can't wait to see if what I did was good, too! ;D Thanks for waiting.
Gladhaniel
Rider of the Mark

Postby Isildilmë » Mon Aug 08, 2011 6:01 pm

génial Dhani, vous avez trouvé une belle façon de fonctionner... et c'est tellement la meilleure façon pour toi de te perfectionner ! Je devrais faire pareil... mais apparemment je me suis trouvée une autre vocation assez prenante pour l'instant ! Une autre fois !
Isildilmë
Devoted to the Sheen

PreviousNext

Return to Language