Pronunciation of "Gil-Galad

Tolkien's worlds were birthed out of his love of language and his work at creating new ones. Enter into discussions surrounding Tolkien's languages.

Pronunciation of "Gil-Galad

Postby roaccarcsson » Sun May 23, 2004 7:00 pm

If "Gil-Galad" were written "Gilgalad,' it would be pronounced "GILgalad,"with the accent on the first syllable."

For aomost fifty years, though, I have been prounouncing the name "Gil-GALad" - assuming subconsciously that the hyphen & the capitalization of the second element of the name means that "Galad" is to be treated as a disyllable.

Is there any evidence on this, one way or another? Any other Elvish names with hyphens?
roaccarcsson
Mariner

Re: Pronunciation of "Gil-Galad

Postby Alberich » Mon May 24, 2004 1:04 pm

roaccarcsson wrote:If "Gil-Galad" were written "Gilgalad,' it would be pronounced "GILgalad,"with the accent on the first syllable."

I don't know about Elvish, but it seems to me that without the hyphen the accent is not predictable. Compare GILgamesh, where I think the accent is on the first, with the surname GilMARtin, where it is definitely on the second. But I agree that it seems possible that Tolkien used the hyphen to indicate the second pronunciation - especially since he was presumably aware of Gilgamesh, another epic hero.
Alberich
Shield Bearer

Postby Eluchil » Mon May 24, 2004 4:36 pm

Tolkien wrote the name very variously in his manuscripts. I.e. Gilgalad, and Gil-galad are common. I've always pronuonced it Gil'-gal-ad which would be the pronounciation as a unitary word, as roac knows. See the discussion of 'Stress' in Appendix E. However, if one assumes the pronounciation gil-Gal'-ad than the meter of Sam's poem becomes regular trochaic tetrameter. Therefore, I suspect that you are correct.
Eluchil
Mariner

Postby roaccarcsson » Tue May 25, 2004 3:37 pm

Thanks! The poem is probably, though I wan't conscious of it, the reason I have pronounced it with the accent on the penult.
roaccarcsson
Mariner

Postby Gil-Estel » Mon May 31, 2004 3:08 pm

It's nice to have the poetic meter to conform what I had always thought. The hyphen has always made the logical placement of stress fall on the second syllable. As for Tolkien wrtiting both with and without, he revised many things and it is the published version that should be assumed to be his ultimate preference. Thus, the accent should fall on the second syllable "Gal".

:wink: Besides, I should know: where do think the stress falls in my own name?
Gil-Estel
Rider of the Mark

Postby greenleafwood » Sat Jun 05, 2004 2:23 pm

I pronounce it Gil-GA-lad, with the stress on the second syllable without the "l". Is that incorrect?

greenleaf
greenleafwood
Ranger of the North

Re:

Postby Valorn » Wed Jan 07, 2015 12:55 pm

Eluchil wrote:Tolkien wrote the name very variously in his manuscripts. I.e. Gilgalad, and Gil-galad are common. I've always pronuonced it Gil'-gal-ad which would be the pronounciation as a unitary word, as roac knows. See the discussion of 'Stress' in Appendix E. However, if one assumes the pronounciation gil-Gal'-ad than the meter of Sam's poem becomes regular trochaic tetrameter. Therefore, I suspect that you are correct.

The poem is actually in iambic tetrameter. :nono:
Valorn
Petitioner to the Council

Return to Language