READ ONLY - Official TENGWAR Transcription (and TATTOOS) - I

Tolkien's worlds were birthed out of his love of language and his work at creating new ones. Enter into discussions surrounding Tolkien's languages.

Postby Isildilmë » Sun Mar 28, 2010 6:01 pm

Wonderful ! I know I'm quite slow to give the answers because I don't have much time to sit and transcribe, so your comment makes me feel better about it : maybe not that slow after all :lol: I'll be happy to hear from you.

Mie030, no problem, of course ! I add "Halo" to the list.
Isildilmë
Devoted to the Sheen

Postby Kalika1988 » Sun Mar 28, 2010 10:42 pm

great, im on the list, this makes me very happy.. I do have a question though!-- would it look or sound better if my phrase would be translated or not? I did request it in english but now im not sure, well.. you are the expert so let me know when you can? Thanks :)
Kalika1988
Petitioner to the Council

Postby Isildilmë » Mon Mar 29, 2010 2:02 am

Kalika1988 wrote:would it look or sound better if my phrase would be translated or not?

Well, this is a very personnal choice... in fact, even if you stay in English, the result will look very elvish because of the writing and probably nobody around you is gonna be able to read it. So you have to choose if you want to have and Elvish (Quenya or Sindarin) sentence in elvish written or an English sentence written in Elvish. Does Quenya or Sindarin mean something for you ? If yes, then I suggest you opt for a translated sentence, because anyway you're the only one who's gonna know what is really written. If not really, I don't see a reason to do it when you have the possibility to transcribe your original sentence, the one who means something for you.

That's what I can say, trying not to let interfere my personnal preferences, because like I said it's a too personnal choice. "Listen to your heart" ! :lol:

Just tell me what you decide.
Isildilmë
Devoted to the Sheen

Postby lauza » Mon Mar 29, 2010 2:35 am

Isildilmë wrote:
lauza wrote:Hi there. I hope there are people still currently willing to do some Tengwar for me.

I'm still there ! :horse:

lauza wrote:I've just had a translation done for in the Quenya thread for "find beauty".
'Á hirë vannessë' or 'Á turë vannessë'

Do you need just the Quenya phrases in Tengwar, or the English one too ? I imagine it's more for Quenya...

I'm sorry Isildilme. I didn't realise you had replied to me. Yes just the Quenya transcription into Tengwar would be lovely. Thankyou. :)
lauza

Postby Kalika1988 » Mon Mar 29, 2010 1:25 pm

Okay, I will stick to English then..thanks for the help and reply.. :)
Kalika1988

Please translate into Tengwar

Postby nicci1991 » Tue Mar 30, 2010 2:41 pm

Hy Isildilmë...

Now i have translate my german text into an englisch text... I hope you can translate this text into tengwar... because this is the text which i want for my tattoo...

Make this text sense...? Because I´m not very good in English...

Find a boy who calls you beautiful instead of hot.

A boy who calls you back when you hung up the phone after a fight and
who stays awake just to watch you sleeping.

A boy who kisses your forehead,
who wants to let the world know about you
and isn't afraid to tell his friends that you are his girl.

Find a boy who keeps telling you how happy he is to be with you.

sry for my bad english... :(
nicci1991

Re: Please translate into Tengwar

Postby Isildilmë » Tue Mar 30, 2010 6:21 pm

nicci1991 wrote:Hy Isildilmë...

Now i have translate my german text into an englisch text... I hope you can translate this text into tengwar... because this is the text which i want for my tattoo...

Well, I will of course do this for you... but you'll maybe have to wait a little longuer because it's a quite long quote ! You're gonna have it all tattooed ?! Sounds like a quite big tattoo !

nicci1991 wrote:Make this text sense...? Because I´m not very good in English...

Hum, on that point I can't help you very much. It makes sens for me, it seems to be ok, but I'm afraid my English isn't better than yours ! If someone else want to comment if the text is ok in English, than express yourselves ! I'll transcribe it after that.
Isildilmë
Devoted to the Sheen

Thanks

Postby Polkus » Wed Mar 31, 2010 1:56 am

Dude, it looks awesome. thanks a lot!

polkus
Polkus

Re: Please translate into Tengwar

Postby nicci1991 » Wed Mar 31, 2010 4:20 am

the text got corrected about 2 or 3 times from different persons, so i think its all right in it. i'll be happy to get my translation =) thanks forward.

nicci1991
nicci1991

Postby nicci1991 » Wed Mar 31, 2010 5:44 am

How long will it take to translate the text into tengwar?

nicci1991
nicci1991

Help the puzzled beginner

Postby sach » Wed Mar 31, 2010 7:54 am

hello everyone..can someone please help me with writing two quotes in elvish so i could get a tattoo? i tried to write them myself, but it's so complicated,and i 'd really like those sayings to be correct...
anyway,here they are!

Love is my guiding light.

Alis grave nil. - that's latin for "Nothing is hard to those who have wings."

sorry for my bad english:/ and thanks in advance! greetings from croatia
sach

Postby Isildilmë » Thu Apr 01, 2010 6:06 am

nicci1991 wrote:How long will it take to translate the text into tengwar?

In fact, the transcription by itself won't be very long : as soon as I have a free moment, I'll transcribe all the pending requests. What is longuer is to write them on my computer, transfer as an image and download them on the site. I have to be at home to do that, and that's why there are more delays. I think you should have it next week (before Sunday 11th).

Sach, no problem. The only thing is that I don't know about a transcription mode for Latin, so if you don't mind I'll transcribe the phrase as if it was in English, unless you have a mode to suggest. Don't worry about your English ! Like I always say, mine is even worst. Hopefully nobody is complainig about it, maybe due to the fact that I'm here to help ! :P
Isildilmë
Devoted to the Sheen

Postby nicci1991 » Thu Apr 01, 2010 9:11 am

Thank you...

nicci1991
nicci1991

Postby chellann » Thu Apr 01, 2010 10:24 am

Isildilmë.....

I'v been going though this thread to see if I could find transcriptions of the names you are working on for me to try saving you some time.
In one of your comments you said there is no X in tengwar. how we going to work that 1 out??

Whilst searching I thought I'd look for transcriptions of some of the words that new people are looking for, as a small thank you to you for your time.
There are so many..............

So here are my thoughts to all the newbies like me. To save a load of time you could look through the comments of the previous transcribers(list below) and if you find the word, name or phrase you want you could always get Isildilmë to look at it and let you know if its correct. There really are loads to choose from.

BREOGAN
ERUFAILON.ATANVARNO
BAALTHEZZAR
SMEAGOLOFTHESTOORS
PRIELL3

xxx
chellann

Postby Isildilmë » Thu Apr 01, 2010 12:52 pm

Chellan, thanks for sharing this idea with everybody : it happens a lot of times that someone ask for a word/name that as already been answered by somebody on this thread.

And about X letter, don't worry, there's no problem ! As you can see in my explanation, in Tengwar, the X doesn't exist by itself, but is replaced by the combination "KS", so Xander will be written Ksander litterally.

By the way, I think I should be able to post a few transcription for tomorrow.
Isildilmë
Devoted to the Sheen

Postby tat kid » Thu Apr 01, 2010 12:58 pm

i understand where your coming from, ive fully convinced now, between two!

"My Princess" &
"My Eternal Princess"

in tangwar (in its English form please)

i want to have the tattoo full length on my forearm.
so could you give it to me in several sizes please

thank you very much for taking the time out to do this, i deeply Appreciated this
:lol: :o :o
tat kid

Postby chellann » Thu Apr 01, 2010 1:26 pm

You are fab Isildilmë..... :wink:

There really is double and triple transcriptions on. Its double the work for you i suppose.

Lol Ksander. Thats grand. Everyone spells my sons name wrong all the time anyway. They spell Sander because thats how it sounds lol
Thank goodness I didnt go with my own transcription. The more I learn the less I can see my boys names in the 1 I done.....

greatfully........

Chellann
xxx
chellann

Postby Isildilmë » Thu Apr 01, 2010 2:43 pm

You're lucky, I finally had a little bit of free time right now !

For
chellann :
Note that I answer Chellan quicker, like I do for everybody that send me a transcription they tried to do by themselves. Here is the transcription I received from Chellan :
But I really don’t suggest to go with that transcription. I’d rather use these ones :
ImageImage

For
lauza :
ImageImage

Isildilmë Celumenarwissë Image
Isildilmë
Devoted to the Sheen

Postby Isildilmë » Thu Apr 01, 2010 2:51 pm

For ljf90 :

For
tat kid :
As I had already prepared “My princess” for you, I did “my eternal princess” right now (not much longer !). To have it in several sizes, I suggest you email me (it’s not a good idea to post big pictures here). I’ll send it back to you by email.

For
Nettliens :
As I don’t know about any transcription for apostrophe, I just did as if there wasn’t one : “isnt” and “Its”...
And concerning your question about our opinion… well… I admit it is a difficult and important decision, but overall it’s a personnal decision ! If you ask me, of course I prefer the Quenya version, because I’m in love with this language, but it may not be your case. Think about what means the most for you. I’m sorry it may not be the answer you were waiting for… but that’s mine !

Edited by White Council Moderator to reduce page stretching.
Isildilmë
Devoted to the Sheen

Postby Isildilmë » Thu Apr 01, 2010 2:55 pm

For verde :
ImageImageImage

For
jenavarro :
As you asked for, the first transcription (dark blue) is using English mode, the second (purple) is using the Spanish mode. If your native language is Spanish (or if your origins are latinos or Spanish), then I would suggest you use this version.

For
ryanw :

Edited by White Council Moderator to fix page stretching
Isildilmë
Devoted to the Sheen

Postby lauza » Thu Apr 01, 2010 3:27 pm

Thankyou so much for my transcription Isildilmë. :D
lauza

Postby chellann » Thu Apr 01, 2010 3:43 pm

Named and shamed lol........

Thank you Isildilmë
My babys names look so beautiful..
They look like the ones that I had hand drawn in Quenya style only My S was upside down and I had 3 dots above the X, is it tehta they are called??

Remember that 1 thing at a time ???
Might need your help with that 1 lol

Thank you, You are an angel!!!
Chellann
xxx
chellann

Postby Isildilmë » Thu Apr 01, 2010 4:13 pm

You're both welcome !

Chellan, that's it, the symbols over the tengwar representing the vowels are called tehtar (singular : tehta). And when you put a tehta over a S, than it as to be upside down, so you weren't so far on that point. The only thing is that with the English transcription mode, the tehtar have to be carryed by the following tengwar, instead of the preceeding as in Quenya, for example. Hope this help you in the future.
And for the one thing at a time, you can grab the image directly on the post and save it in your computer, or I can send it to you by e-mail (I'm gonna do this, so it may help you).
Isildilmë
Devoted to the Sheen

Postby Nettliens » Fri Apr 02, 2010 2:36 am

Isildilmë, thank you very very much.
I hadn't expected such a quick reply :).
All three versions look beautiful.. it will be hard to decide which one to get.
(As for my question on your opinion, - i expected an answer like that,yeah, because i know i'll have to decide on my own, but i had to try nevertheless :D)

Once again, thanks a lot! You sure do great work here and make many many people happy ( including me :) )
- i shall post pictures when i get my tattoo done ( although this might take aaaages, cause atm i have no money at all, and i need to decide which one to get .but i will post pics )

:)
Nettliens

Postby Isildilmë » Fri Apr 02, 2010 4:20 am

I'll be happy to see them, even if it takes a long time !
Isildilmë
Devoted to the Sheen

Postby tat kid » Fri Apr 02, 2010 4:45 am

that look great! :lol: :lol:

ive been looking at the other ones you had done for other people
and the look amazing, you are a true master at your Art

thank you agin for your time and hard work!

:) :happydance: :happydance:
tat kid

Postby chellann » Fri Apr 02, 2010 5:03 am

Isildilmë Thats good advise that I'll remember. Already started trying to transcribe my next tattoos. By hand :shock:

Bazadad
&
Live in the now (which I want translated into spanish first)

So I'll have my work cut out lol.
Any idea which rule i follow in the Spanish mode with my tehtar?
Hope you dont mind me asking loads of questions!

your biggest fan lol...... :rofl:
Challann
xxx

tat kid your's looks BEAUTIFUL. Will make a very nice tattoo.
chellann

Postby Isildilmë » Fri Apr 02, 2010 6:23 am

I'm definitly gonna turn red :blush: !

And yes
Chellann (sorry, I just realise you have 2 n in Chellann), there's a different mode for Spanish. I'll send you something on this subject, and I'll be happy to correct your work after you try to transcribe your next tattoos. If you want to do them with Word, than you can click on Insert Special caracters, and choose the good symbols (the letters on the keyboard don't correspond to the same sound in Tengwar automatically !).

And don't worry about your questions, I'm always happy to meet people sharing a part of my madness !
Isildilmë
Devoted to the Sheen

Postby tat kid » Fri Apr 02, 2010 6:25 am

thanks chellann
ill post the picture when its done

im gonna start learning how to transcribe, but it will take my years before i good i think

lol
tat kid

Postby chellann » Fri Apr 02, 2010 8:05 am

Tat Kid I would luv to see it when its done...........
I know what you mean. Its really difficult to get the grasp of, But one day it will just sink in without us even knowing it lol. Hopefully!

Isildilmë Just as well your not transcribing my user name lol... I'm surprised you can remember to brush your teeth with the amount of work you do for this site, I forgive you for your spelling mistake lol

AAArrrggghhhh :pull: I'v just got a small understanding english mode and you send me the spanish mode. I'm in a tailspin now lol........

Tc
Chellann
xxx
chellann

PreviousNext

Return to Language