The Burning Stars (ooc)

Pull out your pack and head on down to the Prancing Pony for some great Role Playing (try to stay in character)!

Postby Aiwe » Thu Dec 30, 2004 8:11 pm

ElvenChild, please be patient. ;) Our fearless leader, Eldfess, is just getting into a new job and can't always be here every single day.

As for your character, might I suggest someone...perhaps a bit more realistic? I mean, your char at the moment has tons of powers. Perhaps you could tone her down a bit, give her fewer powers and more human weaknesses, OK? :)

--Aiwe
Aiwe
Ranger of the North

Postby undomiel » Fri Dec 31, 2004 6:49 am

Quim! Another man! Yay! :D ;)

ElvenChild, I agree with Aiwe on this. Your character is just too... incredible. And by that I mean she lacks credibility. I just don't see how she fits into Middle Earth. Try working with a more human character. I think it's alot more fun. :)

As to Rune's question... I think that any artifacts that belonged to Arwen or Elessar would have been preserved as holy relics. Their meanings have probably been twisted though. For example the Palantiri might be called the "Eyes of Eru" or something like that and their history would have been forgotten. Anything that's obviously Elvish or that contradicts the Church's views would probably be taken by the church and destroyed or hidden. Most likely they have people whose job it is to hunt down these things and confiscate them.
undomiel
Ranger of the North

Postby Quimrill_Renctar » Fri Dec 31, 2004 1:40 pm

For your approval, I present a new and very different character for me, Malcom. Hopefully he will be fun to play, if you guys need anybody else. :)

Name: Malcom Beonar
Sex: male
Race: man- Beorning
Height: 6’0”
Weight: 190lb

Physical: Malcom is tall at six foot yet short for his ancestry. Typically a male Beroning berserker is nearer to 10+ feet, so Malcom is considered midget by such standards. Black hair to his shoulder he keeps for the most part tide back in a pony-tail out of his way. He is fairly well proportioned, with perhaps a little bit of excess fat hanging about the midsection (he would say he carries it well however). He is extremely strong in arm and leg, evidence of his lineage. His face is very angular, sporting a well-defined jaw and cheeks with plenty of roundness to them. Dull gray eyes look out of sockets that are rather deep set, peering out from under bushy eyebrows that he tries his best, in vain, to keep smooth and a little thinner.

Mental: Malcom has a rather devastating self-esteem condition going on. To others he might seem more or less normal and just a bit frustrating as he constantly tries to excel and demonstrate to everyone else “Just how good he it”. He does not like being around people because he thinks they will judge him and find him wanting. This complex stems from the fact that he comes from a society that does not communicate with outsiders often and is fairly reclusive. He does have a few friends he has confided in, though obtaining them was a struggle to both sides. He loves to laugh does it seldom for fear of being overheard and again, judged. Gentle at heart. He can however be obnoxious if he realizes he has an advantage in some way. He does not eat meat.

Transportation: his own two feet. He is fast across land, and can swim like a brick

Weapons: A tempered ash staff whose shaft can be secured in the large steel battle-axe head he carries

Skills: Staff and battle-axe, throwing (just about anything. He pretty much just hurls anything that comes to hand, but his aim is deadly accurate and his arm strong). Baking and brewing. Stealth

Bio: Malcom was born on the slopes of the vales of Anduin, near Carrock true to Beorning form. He lived for 15 years with his parents, his father fashioning his son to be a warrior and carry on the family name and profession. He learned the axe from his father and baking and the brewing of drinks from his mother. Normal Beornish children hit puberty around 13 and started to grow like mad for 6 years before they achieved their full considerable height at around 19 or 20 and at 10+ ft. By the time Malcom was 15 it was obvious he had reached his full height at six foot, very disappointing and odd to his parents. It was during this time that Malcom developed a massive inferiority complex, as his friends could do just about anything, except run quickly through the dense woods and wriggle into wholes in the ground, better than he could.
It became obvious to his parents that life up in the mountains following the life they led would not be a pleasant one for their son. His father was surprisingly considerate in this and on the counsel of Malcom’s mother Malcom was given the opportunity leave.
Malcom was loath to go, feeling, as all their kind did, no love for outsiders or their ways. As time passed, however, existence became more unbearable there and he finally left vowing to return one day a suitable berserker warrior, one that even Beorn would have been proud of. A rather unattainable goal, but it was fueled by irrational hope and ambition.
He made his way to Gondor and did not last a whole week among the masses before he fled to the Monastery of the Church of Eru. He thought there perhaps, it being rumored to be a warrior monk class monastery, that he could study and train in a somewhat isolated environment, and perhaps he wouldn’t have to interact with people. He was proven wrong when he was forced to attend classes and training sessions with large groups. His shy self-degradation eventually turned to rock hard ambition to make himself so good that no one could put him down, to prove to the whole world and himself that he was the good, if not the best. It helped that he wasn’t teased for being short, as most had not idea of his ancestry, and the previous battle knowledge was only an aid to him. Though being mocked for being more of a woman because he could cook and bake did nothing for his self-esteem.
He worked for money in the cellars of the monastery, acquiring a bit of under the table coin for who knew what ultimate purpose. Work around the barrels as well training maid his ready muscles stronger than ever and study in classes and in the library began to fill his mind with knowledge.
Still however, life around so many people started to get to him. They were so different and so condescending, he thought. He would interpret the slightest frustrated or less that happy look as a judgment and would try all the harder to please and be the best, which in turn would breed more frustration whish slowly made Malcom think that life was hopeless here. Almost he left the Monastery several times, but each time he would not let himself quit before he would attain brotherhood. He let his frustrations be known to a few of the brotherhood and they encouraged him to follow his heart, which in the end did little to help him. Always in the end however he stayed. It was what he thought would be a last step in a long journey to prove himself. Then he would return to his own people as a missionary or something, and live there in peace with full stature, if not in body, then in accomplishment….
Quimrill_Renctar
Ranger of the North

Location: A little patch of paradise I like to call... the backside of nowhere

Postby gladrieltook » Sat Jan 01, 2005 9:33 am

Wow... I like it. You've taken an extra-human character and brought him down to a very human level. He seems like a very deep and interesting character. I hope you'll RP him as well as you describe him.
gladrieltook
Ranger of the North

Postby ElvenChild1292 » Sat Jan 01, 2005 11:39 am

I will definitly chsnge it, but how is two powers incredable? The hobbit can read minds...

*Light bulb pops up on head*

I could lose mind reading and just have other power during the expidition.....? Maybe? :lol: :lol:
ElvenChild1292
Shield Bearer

Postby Quimrill_Renctar » Sat Jan 01, 2005 2:14 pm

Let me give you an example of why your powers might not be the best things for this quest.

Any powers are fine if you give yourself enough faults to go with them, but your character sounds too perfect. Also you didn’t describe how these powers came into being, especially for a hobbit who are notoriously “normal” and hate adventure.
And she’s 15, so we have a hobbit, whose out of the norm, liking adventure and whatnot, and she has mastered several arts of fighting (bow, staff, knives) and is a powerful sorceress. I’m a believer that you can write any character you want any way you want, with enough realistic explanation and circumstances. Next to that, you can make them interesting by giving them a unique personality and a set of faults or demons to contend with.

The danger with really powerful characters is that whoever has such a character might try and Lord it over everybody else, or start God-moading. Just in case you don’t know, this is when in a hopeless or even normal situation, your character will snap its finger, the clouds will part, a ray of divine sunlight will shine, the ground will tremble and all the problems will go away. I’m not saying you will do this, but if I had a dime for every time I had seen this, I would be a few dollars richer anyway.

So I’d say your character just needs a little work. ^_^ I’m not trying to come down on you, just trying to offer some good reason why you might want to change some things. I Look forward to seeing what you come up with

~Quim
Quimrill_Renctar
Ranger of the North

Postby Aiwe » Sat Jan 01, 2005 3:07 pm

Are you talking to Aurabella or to ElvenChild? Aurabella has the hobbit telepath. ElvenChild has the 15-yr-old sorceress-telepath.

I think one telepath is plenty. Aurabella came first. ElvenChild, we need variety in this RP. :)

--Aiwe
Aiwe
Ranger of the North

Postby Quimrill_Renctar » Sat Jan 01, 2005 3:45 pm

I was talking to Elvenchild mainly. Didn't catch on to the whole she didn't have the hobbit char. I read her last ooc post and assumed :P

I couldn't find your race actually Elvenchild, what race are you exactly? still though, at 15 years.

It was more of a general warning anyway, just some observations I've... observed ;)
Quimrill_Renctar
Ranger of the North

Postby AurabellaBolger » Sat Jan 01, 2005 6:36 pm

Now I'm a bit bewildered, but certainly flexible. I can always "disenchant" Lucy if I need to do so; I gave her clairvoyance partly because another hobbit character I played, whom I liked very much but whose thread died one of those sad, dwindling deaths we often see here on the Role-Playing board, had such a power. Lucy is less frenetic and less neurotic about it than the other character was, but she is by no means perfect, at least in my conception. She is fascinated by people but distrustful of them.

As of right now, clairvoyance is Lucy's only supernatural ability. She is not a fighter. She likes to observe combat but is squeamish about battle. Later she may learn archery as a means of self-defense, but she is, by nature, no warrior.
AurabellaBolger
Rider of the Mark

Postby Quimrill_Renctar » Sat Jan 01, 2005 8:41 pm

I think your fine. I was just trying to help Elvenchild out with ideas of how to makeher character a bit better.

I think your character is sufficiantly flawed ;)
Quimrill_Renctar
Ranger of the North

Postby Aiwe » Sat Jan 01, 2005 10:03 pm

Qim, I just wanted to say I love your character already! I can't wait to see what you do with him. 8)

--Aiwe
Aiwe
Ranger of the North

Postby Amrunelen » Sun Jan 02, 2005 8:59 am

I should have a character bio up sometime tomorrow...hopefully. Just have to write the history part of it yet. :)
Amrunelen
Mariner

Postby gladrieltook » Mon Jan 03, 2005 12:29 pm

'allo all... getting a bit bored in the sanctuary all by me wee lonesees... :zzz:

ElvenChild: remember, the elves aren't real to this generation. No elven language, no Elven cloth... It's bad enough I slipped with the elvish lore... I still have to fix that...

Are the valar still considered to exist?
gladrieltook
Ranger of the North

Postby Amrunelen » Mon Jan 03, 2005 1:33 pm

Well...there could still be some elven things around, probably, but their true origin would be hidden...explanations for where everything came from. The church could be hunting down any remaining elven items too or they would be very rarer and kept secret by those who held them and remembered.

Or something...

Just some more of my rambling. :P

edit- Thought of more questions. What happened to things like the Red Book of Westmarch and Sting that the hobbits would've had? And what about the heirs of Sam and Pippin (can't remember whether Merry had any or not :shock: )? Would they keep the family stories alive? Been corrupted by the church? Think it all to be fairytales?
Amrunelen
Mariner

Postby ElvenChild1292 » Mon Jan 03, 2005 1:56 pm

Okay, this is going to sound really stupid, but maybe she could have a shapeshifting ability -- except she can only take the shape of animals. Instead of humans. If this is okay I will edit my posts, and bio. If not pls help me out by lending ideas...

~EC

Also, I will change the elven-staff thing..
ElvenChild1292
Shield Bearer

Postby undomiel » Mon Jan 03, 2005 2:20 pm

Eldfess wrote:It has been about 4 or 5 long generations since the beginning of the 4th age. The thoughts of such things as Sauron, the Istari, and even the elves have faded into a distant memory. Not long after Aragorn's children died of their own old age Arwen dissapeared. Some believed her to have gone across the sea.

Men rule the surface, dwarves the underground. And a large tribe of halflings, sired by Samwise, Merry and Pippin have broken off from the shire and have begun to set up their own kingdom elsewhere.

It is a time of political machinations and religious warfare. Different religious beliefs have sprung up around ME worshipping elves, Eru, the Vala, the Maia, and even the dark lord Sauron (though this is banned in most civilized places). But even these beliefs are beginning to lose faith.

Here's what Eldfess said on the matter. My interpretation is that there are still people who believe in the Valar, but it's probably a minority. I think it would probably be more like the worship of pagan gods of nature than any true belief. I have a feeling that no one quite remembers the full truth of the past.

Amrunelen wrote:edit- Thought of more questions. What happened to things like the Red Book of Westmarch and Sting that the hobbits would've had? And what about the heirs of Sam and Pippin (can't remember whether Merry had any or not )? Would they keep the family stories alive? Been corrupted by the church? Think it all to be fairytales?

A little of all of the above, most likely. :)

ElvenChild, do you have to have any magical abilities? We already have a werewolf and a telepath and I don't think this is a time period that is very friendly toward that sort of thing. People are moving away from it, becoming more normal. The Elves are gone. There are no more Elves in middle earth. The history of the Elves (including their languages, lore and craft) is lost or forgotten and the Church is attempting to wipe it out completely. Please correct your post to reflect this. Also I think the way you get "invited" on the quest is a little... unlikely. Even if you could read minds, the Monks in charge are not going to just let you run around doing it to whoever you want. Most likely there would be rules about that sort of thing to protect others. You should think through your character and her entrance a bit more.
undomiel
Ranger of the North

Postby SorceressintheGoldenWood » Mon Jan 03, 2005 7:30 pm

I've done a drawing of my character - http://www.deviantart.com/deviation/13775747/

If any of you would like me to do a drawing of your character I'd happy to.

I'll probablly go ahead and draw a few of the characters from this RP, so if there's anything you want changed about your character's appearence, just let me know.
SorceressintheGoldenWood
Mariner

Postby Amrunelen » Mon Jan 03, 2005 9:06 pm

Ok, character bio...

Name: Amandir

Race: Men

Alliance: Dunedain/Rangers (reduced to a very small group now)

Marital Status: single

Horse: Aeargwae- dark chestnut, black mane and tail

Personality: loyal, determined, secretive around most, sometimes spiteful and quick to anger.

Appearance: sea-grey eyes (a trait of his people); almost shoulder length, often disheveled, dark brown hair; Ranger attire; a grey, brown, or dark green cloak on which is pinned a star of the Dunedain.

Skills: tracking, hunting, swordsman, etc

Weapons: A bow with arrows, small knife kept in boot, and a sword with a single green gem embedded in the hilt.

History: Amandir was born in the realm of Arnor. For a time during his younger years he lived with a distant uncle, a follower of the Church of Eru, but had always been taught the old beliefs, contrary to what the Church taught, by his father and mother. During his time under the care of his uncle, he was required to attend the gatherings of the members of the Church of Eru and not one of those gatherings went by that he didn't long to stand up and shout to everyone that they were all wrong, and then run off to join his father and mother. He would have done so if his father had not warned him of what would happen if he were to utter such things around followers of the church who would consider them to be blasphemy. When his mother and father came to visit him and take him for a few days, he was taught in secret of the Valar, the Eldar, the Doom of Men, and events of the past.

At the age of 11, he finally went off to join them, thinking he would never have to hear of his uncle again. He was a decent man, but Amandir could not stand living there. For five happy years he lived with his mother and father. They never stayed in one place for long. They never could. The Dunedain traveled throughout Middle-earth and set up camps when possible. Occasionally they would return to their meeting places, but not often for they did not want to risk them being discovered and the things which they kept there being confiscated. They took turns staying at them for extended amounts of time to guard, but only in small groups of two or three at once. The Dunedain of the past had been protectors of the land and the people, the blood of Numenore running through their veins. Now they were protectors of the past its self and their numbers dwindled greatly.

When Amandir was only 16 years of age, his father was captured during one of the crusades of the Church. Their camp was attacked and a few were captured, though most had escaped. Amandir's father was locked away and then killed by an arrow that pierced his throat when he tried to make an escape. News of this made its way to Amandir and his mother. It caused her to fall into a deep despair with barely any will to live, but live she did for the sake of her son. Anger welled up in Amadir's heart after he found out later on that it was his uncle who betrayed them and gave them away to the authorities of the church. After that incident he vowed to dedicate his life to their cause and follow in his father's work. Amandir's mother at last settled down in a village, greatly weathered by the events and many years of traveling. She changed her name and kept secret who she was. Amandir risked a few visits now and then, but most of his time was spent traveling with the other Dunedain, hunting down relics of the past, and any who still believed. He never gave up the thought that someday he would find a glimmer of hope in the shadow cast by the Church of Eru and its corrupt ways.
Last edited by Amrunelen on Sat Mar 05, 2005 3:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Amrunelen
Mariner

Postby undomiel » Tue Jan 04, 2005 6:41 am

Sorceress, that's really good! My mom's an artist, but I couldn't draw that well if my life depended on it. :wink: I would be pleased to see a pick of Leorner. I always imagine him to be very tall and haughty looking. :)

Rune, that sounds great. Now, do you have any ideas about how you're going to meet up with us? :)
undomiel
Ranger of the North

Postby gladrieltook » Tue Jan 04, 2005 7:45 am

Sorc: You're pretty talented, girl. I looked at some of the other stuff up of your page. I really like the Angel sketch.
gladrieltook
Ranger of the North

Postby Quimrill_Renctar » Sat Jan 08, 2005 12:50 am

*Whistles tunelessly*

Wow, Sorceress, that was a really good picture. Heh, I never mind having an accomplished artist take a crack at one of my characters. If you have some extra time and you feel like using it on the likes of me, I surely would love a picture of my char. ^_^

I'd love to be able to draw like that, but I'm afraid that I make even stick figures look bad :P

Anyway, are we waiting on Eldfess?
Quimrill_Renctar
Ranger of the North

Postby ElvenChild1292 » Sat Jan 08, 2005 9:59 am

SORC: that picture is amazing!! I can draw a little, but this is just too cool.
If you caould draw Gwahina, with the few details -- or if you nned more, I'd be happy to type more!!
ElvenChild1292
Shield Bearer

Postby Amrunelen » Sat Jan 08, 2005 7:28 pm

Ooooh...I didn't notice that link before. I love the drawing, SORC. :D :)
Amrunelen
Mariner

Postby SorceressintheGoldenWood » Sat Jan 08, 2005 7:37 pm

:o Thanks everyone! I'm not THAT good...but thanks the same.

ElvenChild - Sure, if there's any other details you would like in your character drawing just mention them! The more details the better.
SorceressintheGoldenWood
Mariner

Postby Amrunelen » Sun Jan 09, 2005 6:40 pm

So...my character's alright then? If so, I'll start working on an IC post soon. :)
Amrunelen
Mariner

Postby undomiel » Mon Jan 10, 2005 7:46 am

Your character is definetly all right! I'll be looking forward to your post. :)

Ok, so who is in the group that's leaving? Nerin, Herutha, Liana, Leorner, Malcom, Pi... and then Ara, Lucy and probably Avasa will be following, right?

I'm going to try and get a post up to get us out of there... soon. :)
undomiel
Ranger of the North

Postby ElvenChild1292 » Wed Jan 12, 2005 3:44 pm

When I said she waited for a response, I was hoping you could tell me if I could, & then Abbot would assign me to this 'mission' thingy. ?????
ElvenChild1292
Shield Bearer

Postby SorceressintheGoldenWood » Wed Jan 12, 2005 4:58 pm

AurabellaBolger, I finished the drawing of your character - http://www.deviantart.com/deviation/14061894/ I wasn't sure what your character would wear so I tried to just make her look cute. Hope you like.
SorceressintheGoldenWood
Mariner

Postby Quimrill_Renctar » Wed Jan 12, 2005 6:56 pm

Very nice Sorceress, very nice. You deffinitely have tallent. How long have you been drawing for?

Ok, I couldn't help notice that the instructions for the Quest were past to my character. So... does that mean I can start us off on our merry way? :)

I might just do that, I'll try and post something soon
Quimrill_Renctar
Ranger of the North

Postby SorceressintheGoldenWood » Wed Jan 12, 2005 7:37 pm

Thanks! I've been drawing since I could hold a pencil so...16 years. And here's the colored version of the drawing - http://www.deviantart.com/view/14066752/
SorceressintheGoldenWood
Mariner

PreviousNext

Return to Role Playing: The Prancing Pony (Middle-earth Only)