M00bies - A Community to Remember

What do you think of Tolkien on the silver screen...? Whether Bakshi, Jackson, Amazon, BBC radio play, or whoever else, come on in and discuss your reflections, opinions, and memories...

Postby Liyaera » Mon Jan 31, 2005 6:17 pm

So, today or tomorrow I'll do the extended Lidless bio....

In my own words.

I'm warning you all though, it will mushy and puke inducing :love: :puke:

and by the end of it, I fully intend to have all of you :bang: :pull: :club:

enjoy!!!! =:)

Alassante_Estel :spammer:
Liyaera
Citizen of Imladris

Postby holbytla » Mon Jan 31, 2005 6:50 pm

Holbytla (surviving member-life support really, tubes down my throat etc.)
Age or age group when joined: 39
Most well-known 'title': "Holby" I guess. Although I am particularly fond of "That Waste of Bandwidth"
General stance on Jackson's LOTR: I liken my stance to that of a rollercoaster ride.

Description: (in his own words) I feel like I am writing my own eulogy.

At one time, m00bies was obviously the centerpiece of this illustrious board. It was a lot of fun hearing all of the rumors, and seeing all of the debates arise from them. I have always been on the purist side of the fence, but over the years I have drifted towards the center. I finally came to accept these films as Jackson's vision and not Tolkien's. I try to view them now in that context, but there are certain aspects that still do not wash with me.
In 2000 I was a sporadic poster here, but always came to read. 2001 and 2002, I was much more of a lurker, but would always stop in now and then. The problem always was trying to reacquaint yourself with the posters, especially given the fact that posters would always be leaving, one way or another. I have been here pretty steadily since 2003, and I now wish that I had stayed more involved over the years. I am just now getting to know great people that I should have know years ago.
As the trilogy drew to a close, I basically had my fill with analyzing and debating the movies. While I did learn a lot from other viewpoints, I just no longer had the zest for it anymore. Besides I found a new niche, and as it turns out, the true reward of this forum lay within that niche.
For me this place is all about the people here, and the friends that I have made. While the initial attraction may have been Tolkien and the movies, the real gem here is the posters. I am amazed to this day, at the strength and depth of the connections that are made here. The quality of the people here, are really unsurpassed. Who would of thunk that about a bunch of geeks and freaks?
For the most part in these latter days, I stick to the chatty spammy threads, and post one liners in some others. I am generally known for my wise-arse ways, and for jabbing posters old and new. I have befriended quite a few n00bs over the last year or so. Though I may give the appearance that I am a n00b flamer, nothing could be further from the truth. I may take an odd approach, but I do believe that I have helped welcome new posters to this forum. If I can be remembered for befriending n00bs and just plain making friends or making people smile, then I would indeed feel that I accomplished a worthy goal.
I am not going to list any names here of posters that I have grown to know and love, because I am sure I will forget someone. Besides, you know who you are.
I will say thank you to Nienna, wherever she may be, for her initial welcome to this forum nearly five years ago.

And I can't tell whether that stench in here is from satch or Hama and his sardine ways.
Whistler, see what you can do about getting me a date with one of those Elvish masseuses. I may be joining you shortly on the Tol.
holbytla
Ranger of the North

Postby InnocentEvil » Mon Jan 31, 2005 8:50 pm

Iavas, I realize that there's a good chance you won't believe it, but I am probably more glad to see this thread unlocked than you are. I'm very glad that the project will continue.

Thanks for the emails and thoughts today, everyone. TORC really is a community, it's nice to know that we all care about each other enough to speak freely and it's even better when we can work an issue out.

Iavas, I am very sorry that I misinterpretted what you said earlier. I'm sure you would never imply that you intended to do as you pleased, regardless of the rules or guidelines. I hope you'll accept this apology and feel good about continuing the thread in a way that does honor to the past and present members of the forum while following the letter and spirit of the rules in place.

With that, I'll bow out and leave the Denizens of M00bies to their pursuit.
InnocentEvil
Ringbearer

Postby oldtoby » Mon Jan 31, 2005 9:04 pm

With that, I'll bow out and leave the Denizens of M00bies to their pursuit.

Not without adding your profile you better not. :wink:
oldtoby
Ringbearer

Postby Iavas_Saar » Mon Jan 31, 2005 10:52 pm

IE, thank you for that post, and I also apologise for my hasty first reaction earlier today.
Last edited by Iavas_Saar on Fri Feb 04, 2005 3:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Iavas_Saar
Mariner

Postby Hama » Tue Feb 01, 2005 1:00 am

OK, since nobody believed me the first time, I'll do it again!

Age or age group when joined: 0
Most well-known 'phrase': "Judy, Judy, Judy!"
General stance on Jackson's LOTR: Where were the ad-libs?

Description:
I was once told by another poster "Everybody would like to be you" to which I replied "So would I.". My early years on the forum would have been that of an ordinary poster except for one extraordinary event. At the age of 9 I logged on only to be told that Jon and Ted had gone off to a seaside resort. They had actually gone to a sanitorium for the terminally bewildered and I never found out for years. From the age of 9 until my late 20s, I didn't see them at all. I left the forum briefly at the age of 14, so that I could join a troop of knockabout comedians. I learned virtual pantomime as well as cyber acrobatics and toured the websites of the English provinces, picking up a cockney accent (much better than Dick Van Dykes ever was) from a music hall website situated in London. It was then that I was reintroduced to the websites over the pond by some of my fellow troopers and I rediscovered TORC. Since then I have never looked back. I joined Marty and Bernd on a thread called 'Good Times' which ran for 456 postings I believe. I was then invited to a thread called 'She Done Him Right' by one of its star posters, Ethel. But my real success came when a certain young poster of note, Telemachos, asked me to join his thread, alongside the lovely Cerin, called 'To Catch A Thief'. Unfortunately Cerin then moved to a thread about Monaco so I teamed up with Wildwood on yet another thread entitled 'North by Northwest', Telemachos again being the instigator. It was my biggest success.

Hama.
Hama
Ranger of the North

Ioreth

Postby Ioreth » Tue Feb 01, 2005 2:45 am

Ioreth(surviving member):

Most well-known 'title': none

General stance on Jackson's LOTR: Rather VERY positive despite having been a Tolkien fanatic for over 22 years :) but I DO have some serious issues with small moments in every film ...

Description: mostly silent lurker somewhere in the back :) ... but well, I learned about the films in march/april 1999 and joined several communities one by one and rather slowly ... except for my home MB, the "very very very old Ringbearer board" :) (1) ... on most I lurked for extended periods before joining - like on TORC.
yes, I am both active on TORN and TORC - and several others too ...
What made me finally register on TORC was a hunt for some "lost sheep" from "our RB community" :) (namely Hama & Whistler & a few others :) :) - you know who you are!) - and since then I have been here, sometimes more active, sometimes more passivly lurking :) sometimes getting irritated by the rather negative comments, sometimes welcoming them as a fresh view compared to TORN - shifting like the endless shifting of water :)

Awards: none

(1) and yes, we do still exist, even if it is by now a very small very close-knit community, pm for the link if you want to get in touch with some VERY old friends :)
Ioreth
Ranger of the North

Postby Berhael » Tue Feb 01, 2005 3:54 am

No M00bies archive would be complete without Voronwe, and I'm sure that if he doesn't return to submit his own profile, we'll all come up with something far more flattering (EDIT to add: but completely fair and true)than anything he would have written himself.

IE, and all the mods and staff - ALL of them - thank you. :) Sincerely and gratefully.
Berhael
Mariner

Postby truehobbit » Tue Feb 01, 2005 7:12 am

:)

Just wanted to say thank you and my respect for all who sat down and sorted this out!

*gets popcorn and hanky ready and sits back to await Estel's post*
Mushy is good! :P :D
truehobbit
Mariner

Postby Cerin » Tue Feb 01, 2005 9:19 am

Iavas wrote:Cerin, thanks for the Kel bio, and I've added those posters you've suggested to the list. Would you want to comment on them further, or shall I just use your brief descriptions?

I can't really comment further, not having any personal information about those lovely folks.

oldtoby wrote:Must be why he smells so bad. ;)

No, it's the sardines.
Cerin
Mariner

Postby thebachelor » Tue Feb 01, 2005 3:31 pm

ArPharazon wrote:I was in the end sickened and driven away from the forum - and in large measure the site - by certain "purists" with closed minds.

ArPhy, I don't know if you'll read this, but was I one of these Purists? That would break my heart, especially since my feelings about the films have mellowed recently. Or am I giving myself too much importance, as usual? :|

I regret the fact that you've been driven away, since you were one of my favorite posters, despite (or because of) the fact that I often disagreed with you...
thebachelor
Rider of the Mark

Postby kams » Wed Feb 02, 2005 12:18 pm

[taken from a different thread, which gave me the opportunity to edit it a little.]

kams (surviving member)

Joined: lurker since FOTR, joined in 2003 and recently came out from behind the curtain.
Age or age group when joined: 38 (funny, I had no problem disclosing that...)
Most well-known 'title': none
General stance on Jackson's LOTR: my eyes have been opened and I have seen the light.

Description: (written by kams)
My experience of the movies was increased because of my "participation" (lurking) on these boards - Movies Forum in particular. I could have just watched the movies, but after visiting here I went back to the books that I had not read since college. I was fascinated by others' in-depth knowledge of the lore, myth and history these books represent. The books are now part of my life. I fell in love with spoilers (thanks to Marty, Lidless, Mighty_Squid, kevincmurphy and others). I got a wealth of information, an appreciation of Tolkien devotion, and side-splitting laughter from being here. Most of the time I sneak a peek at the M00bies Forum over lunch, making quick-witted retorts difficult. (Should I give a body count of the times I wiped food off of the monitor screen from laughing so hard?) I am content to be mostly a consumer and less of a producer on this board. I don't think you all appreciate the influence you have on the larger lurking community.

If I had to pigeonhole myself, I am a revisionist. Movies-from-books suffer from "original sin" -- making the movie means it is imperfect from a book perspective and therefore cannot be the book. Yes, there is weakness – there is frailty – but there is courage also, and honor to be found in movies. And this is the place I came to when I needed to associate with others who were bowled over by the visuals that the movies brought to my mind's eye and to my heart. (Party Tree, Bag End, the Balrog confrontation, the Lighting of the Beacons and the Charge of the Rohirrim to name a few). You all put what I felt into words.

Awards: none needed
Nominations: none necessary

Next ?
kams
Rider of the Mark

Postby crispycreme » Wed Feb 02, 2005 4:01 pm

(since Iavas was thoughtful enough to include my name on the list..)

crispycreme (surviving member)

Age or age group when joined: 39
Most well-known 'title': Donutboy
General stance on Jackson's LOTR: Pleased and disappointed at the same time

Description: (in his own words)
crispycreme is one of many who found TORC through TORN. Unable to bear discussion that seemed barely above AICN-style, he heard about those "rabid purists" (and Kelannar in particular) from various threads on TORN's messageboard, and decided to emigrate. Although he started out a revisionist at heart, he still wanted the opportunity to debate (TORN was mostly slapping each other on the back and shouting PJ's praises) with intelligent and impassioned Tolkien fans. The first thread he stumbled across was the famous W.I.N.K.L.E. project; unfortunately (for him) it had just concluded. Still, it was one of the funniest and most outrageous parodies he's ever read, nearly getting him in trouble at his work for laughing so loud and so often. Freaqboy, Hama, Elmtree, Radagast, Nerdanel and many others contributed to that thread, and here's hoping that it remains available on the internet for all time. Anyway, he was hooked. TORC was exactly the home he was looking for.

As time wore on, and each movie unfolded, crispy found himself becoming more centrist, if not purist. He came to realize that although these films were spectacular triumphs of the visual medium, they seemed to him to not have been successful in conveying the key themes of Tolkien's stories, and that the films were not quite what they might have otherwise been in the hands of a different director. Still, he's very appreciative of the astonishing work that PJ and his huge staff put into these films, and he will treasure the memories of the "LOTR Era" for the remainder of his days.

Not long after he joined TORC - for better or worse - he joined the staff as a moderator, and later an administrator. His most notable achievement, arguably, was his invention of The White Council Awards back in the fall of 2001. His most infamous moment, undoubtably, was his entanglement with TheLidlessEyes in the winter of 2004, which ultimately concluded with Lidless's banning. (The author will make no comment further on that, nor will he judge either participant. It is presumed that most m00bs have already formulated their opinions on the matter anyway.) In between were several years of blissful mediocrity which this author suspects crispy would describe as his most enjoyable.

Like a few of his contemporaries, crispy met the Love of His Life on TORC, and for that reason alone is eternally grateful for this community and its founders.

As of this writing, crispy is in semi-retirement as both a staffer and as a participant. The demands of real life are having a profound affect on him, and his continued presence on the boards is up in the air.

Movie Thread He's Most Proud Of (even though his participation in it was minimal)
Are They Important Films?

Awards:
* Crusty Husk Award (2004 WCAs)

Nominations:
* Lifetime Achievement Award - Male (2003 WCAs)
* Lifetime Achievement Award - Male (2004 WCAs)
crispycreme
Mariner

Postby Iavas_Saar » Wed Feb 02, 2005 6:13 pm

Thanks for those still submitting, I hope to continue updating once the present commotion has died down.

So I hope noone is put off from contributing, I'm not abandoning it! :)
Iavas_Saar
Mariner

Postby Primula_Baggins » Wed Feb 02, 2005 6:22 pm

Iavas, I'm so very glad to hear that!

This thread is a wonderful gift from you to Movies, and as a M00b now and in the future, I am grateful.

I'll post something at some point. . . . I've been neglecting RL a bit, I fear.
Primula_Baggins
Ranger of the North

Postby LadyStefania » Wed Feb 02, 2005 7:09 pm

Hi Everyone -

This is such a nice record, particularly for those of use who have participated in m00bies but have moved on to other areas of TORC.

Here's my bio, using Iavas' bio as a template.

Lady StefaniaI(surviving member)
Age or age group when joined: Aged hippie
Most well-known 'title': "Stewardess of Gondor"
General stance on Jackson's LOTR: Surely some of the greatest films I've ever seen, even if I still have problems with certain aspects of PJ's interpretation of Tolkien.

Description: I first read LOTR in 1968, which prompted many readings of the trilogy and "the Hobbit" over the next five years. I also grabbed up a first edition of the "Silmarillion" in 1977. But my interest in Tolkien lay dormant until I heard that an actual, live-action, movie trilogy was being filmed. So quick, I turned to the Internet, discovered TORN, and then discovered TORC. I devoured everything I could find on the LOTR films, including the hot chatter that occured in m00bies. I lurked in m00bies since mid 2001, reading the arguments regarding Arwen at Helms Deep, Arwen at the Ford, Arwen this, Arwen that, little dreaming that I would be embroiled in discussions involving a far more controversial character than Arwen turned out to be.

I finally joined TORC and m00bies in early 2002, stepping lightly and carefully. When Bernd insulted me, I knew I had made it and thanked him profusely. Through the course of years, I haven't started many threads, but do post on ones that interest me. I typically took a pragmatist's approach in the PvR debates but in most cases just lurked, trying to stay out of them. The only debate that I jumped into, full throttle, was the Film Faramir vs. Book Faramir ongoing controversy, and found myself on opposite sides of the issue with people that today I really like.

These days I dwell in Movies (Other), Fandom, and Books (really just lurk there).

Best Known Participation in m00bies: 2002 MOME pageant, where I appeared as Judge Judy's foremost protege.

Awards and Nominations: As I usually keep a low profile, I'm not the sort who would be awarded.

Moots: Many local San Francisco moots, where I have met our very own Old Tom Bombadil and the lovely Goldberry. Tom (aka Elwe-Goldenwing), not surprisingly, is an operatic tenor.

2004 TORN and LOTR fan club Oscar bashes, where I roomed with Lady Coralie of the Reading Room and met Ted and Jonathon.

Upcoming: Tolkien 2005, and would love to meet any TORCers who are going.

p.s. Whatever happened to Mr. Bunny??
LadyStefania
Ranger of the North

Postby Stupid_Orcs » Wed Feb 02, 2005 7:12 pm

Stupid_Orcs(persisting member)

Age or age group when joined: 23
Most well-known 'title': If I have one I'm not aware of it.
General stance on Jackson's LOTR: Loved them for what they were and cried like a baby. :)

Description: I found TORC while looking for a place to help me translate some Sindarin for a tattoo I was going to get. I got the tattoo and a PM after stumbling upon M00bies and the Osgiliation thread. There I was embraced by Tex, MIS, PFaz, Nazzers, Alberich, Ravenelle, Frelga, and sh_wulff. I missed out on all the fighting, bickering, and arguments of purism vs. revisionism. I was pretty sheltered there. Eventually I spread my wings into Talk where I met more amazing people (Pips, Calma, DD, Inny, Ugluk, and BT to name a few), and it's there that I where I found the benefits of a straight jacket. But I always come back here and it's here I consider my birth place here among the m00bs.

Awards: None yet.

Nominations: Pips nominated me for Fledgling of the Year, but she was the only one. Does that count? :roll: :wink:
Stupid_Orcs
Ranger of the North

Postby Faramond » Thu Feb 03, 2005 12:14 am

Faramond

Date joined: Technically August 15, 2003 but really November 2003

Sex: male

Age when joined: 1000! (base 3)

Opinion of movies: I like the movies, I really do, but they are also deeply disappointing to me, because much of what made LOTR special to me was left out.

Most important book or movie discovered by way of m00bies: Finite and Infinite Games by James P. Carse

Path to the movies forum:

I started visiting the news page of the TORC website before the movies came out. When I finally joined the messageboard I posted mostly in Manwe, because I was most interested in philosophy. The two posters I most noticed at first were Eli_cash and Jnyusa. Eli scared me of course, and I was very impressed with Jnyusa, and I thought “that’s the way to go about posting”. For the first few months I was here I mostly stayed out of the movies forum because I was afraid of spoilers, but one day I peeked in and saw a thread with the curious name of “Tolkien’s Moral Universe”, started by that very same poster who had impressed me in Manwe. I had to go in and look, and that was when I really joined TORC, in my judgement. I was astonished and delighted by the legendary five-post opening of that thread, and that was when I first glimpsed the real potential of this forum. The true philosophy forum is not Manwe; it is m00bies.

Posting style:

Of course the philosophy discussions are really a small part of the movies forum overall, but you wouldn’t know it from my posting pattern. (Until recently, perhaps.) Typically I entered discussions that were centered on philsophical concepts, and tangential to the movies, rather than enter discussions directly about the movie. I was never involved much in PvR wars. I suspect I am known for my long, rambling, abstract posts.

My top 101 (in binary) threads:

Tolkien’s Moral Universe
Gollum ... and other unexpected views
The Modernization of Hope: Tolkien to Jackson
Are They Important Films?
Jackson’s Moral Universe
Faramond
Ranger of the North

Postby Pippin_Took » Thu Feb 03, 2005 1:06 pm

I'm not even on the list and I've been here for years. :(
Pippin_Took
Rider of the Mark

Postby oldtoby » Thu Feb 03, 2005 1:11 pm

Well find Iavas and whap him with a heavy blunt object till he adds you.

And in the meantime write up a post with your profile. :D
oldtoby
Ringbearer

Postby RohanCricket » Thu Feb 03, 2005 1:59 pm

i guess i should be added to the list. though most of what i did was lurk or join in on the fun and games!

RohanCricket
Date Joined : sometime around TTT premiere.. me and Bree found the place!

Sex: Female

Age Joined: 17

Nickname: RC (always made me think of RC Cola!)
Opinion of movies: quite nice thank you :D

Path to the movies forum:

following Bree! just trying to surround myself with the posters that i could have fun with and who knew more than me! i think i actually posted more in an effort to get Ang his awards than anything else, but i was always around, just not always posting.

i wasn't the most active m00bies member, and i really was a Talk transplant that some of you chose to accept, but i really enjoyed every minute of it (even watching you fight over the littlest of things!) and i'm sad to see so many people leaving, but i understand.

Fav Thread : the one when Talk invaded m00bies!. those of you who played along with our silliness, i really got to know better. and you got to realize that though we may be a little off, we still tried our best to behave ourselves here!!
Awards:
none. but i was a VERY good campain person now wasn't i? Ang did very well!! :) and i only charged a small fee.

really just want to stake my claim on the list, proof that i was here!
-RC

Edit for typos, i should read what i type before i submit, shouldn't i?
RohanCricket
Rider of the Mark

Postby The Watcher » Thu Feb 03, 2005 2:18 pm

Pippin_Took wrote:I'm not even on the list and I've been here for years. :(

Don't feel bad, so have I, and I'm not there either......:D

(Although I will admit that I rarely post here in this particular forum anymore, I sort of left right after ROTK was in the theaters.)

But, still, I would like to contribute myself to this project as well...... :P

(Glad I missed the big todo, though, :wink: )

BTW, Kel was ferocious, not someone that you would want to take on without boxing gloves and some well prepped positions to back up your stance......:D:D:D - sort of the complete antithesis of Wildwood for purism. But, he was a sight to behold when he was in full wrath mode....:D :shock:
The Watcher
Ranger of the North

Postby Iavas_Saar » Thu Feb 03, 2005 2:26 pm

I can only apologise, Pippin_Took, RohanCricket and The Watcher! When using only my memory to pick out the first 250+ for the list I was bound to leave people out. I'm very happy you all want to contribute. :)
Iavas_Saar
Mariner

Postby portia » Thu Feb 03, 2005 2:46 pm

LadyAshley wrote:Lidless got banned?

Why am I not surprised?

I am surprised. I guess I am more tolerant than some. Too bad. Someone has to be in charge of a place like this. Since I haven't volunteered (and wouldn't) I will have to accept the decision of them as has volunteered. But I consistently enjoyed the posts of "him-who-apparently-is not- going-to-be-named" even (especially?) when they were a bit outrageous.

On to a profile.

Name: portia. Latecomer and surviving

Age group when I joined: 50+

Position on LOTR and the films, and related issues: (Written by herself)

I became a fan of the books in the 60s and over the years I frequently re-read them. I also read some of the books Christopher Tolkien edited, as they came out. I never expected an attempt to make a live action movie of all three books and I was unimpressed by Bakshi's version. Before I saw the movies I saw some related picture books. That and some casting decisions (esp. McKellen) raised my hopes.

I found TORC while wandering around the web, searching for things on Tolkien. I liked the place immediately.

My general opinion of the movies is that I am very happy with them. Nothing in the world is perfect and no one can make a LOTR that is just like the one that has been playing in my head for about 40 years, but these are quite good versions. I do not expect a movie to be just like the book it is based on; the characteristics of the media involved are too different. However, They broght ME more to life for me, even though they weren't carbon coies of the books. We are better off with them than without them.
The parts I like best are: Hobbiton, Bag End and all Shire scenes, generally. Moria and especially Khazad-Dum. Argonath. Edoras and all Rohirrim scenes, except that I wish Eomer were more prominent. Huorns destroying Uruk-Hai. Pelennor, Oliphaunts, Trolls, Grond. People I felt were best portrayed: (not always exactly as they were in the books) Gandalf, Theoden, Samwise, Galadriel, Saruman, Treebeard, Eowyn, Witch King.
Parts I felt were not as effective, sometimes because they were too changed; sometimes because they were just less effective. Lothlorien,
Nazgul (they were too literal), The Army of the Dead, The Crossroads and the Battle at the Gate.
Less effective people: Gimli (Because of what was written for him to say. JRD and the scale double did very good work when there were no words), Legolas, most of the rest of the Elves, except Elrond. Denethor because although he was prominent, he was wrong from both a movie and book point of view.
The remaining characters were somewhere in the middle.

I missed Bombadil and the Scouring, even though I understand why they were omitted and I probably would have omitted them, too.

Concerning forums other than Movies: I have been impressed, consistently, by the quality and restraint and general level of civility. Sometimes it slipped, but compared with other forums I have seen, the overall level was good, and it was a pleasure to participate.

I probably missed something I wanted to say, and I am sooo glad these posts can be edited.
Last edited by portia on Mon Feb 07, 2005 3:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.
portia
Ringbearer

Postby portia » Thu Feb 03, 2005 2:51 pm

The Watcher wrote:BTW, Kel was ferocious, not someone that you would want to take on without boxing gloves and some well prepped positions to back up your stance......:D:D:D - sort of the complete antithesis of Wildwood for purism. But, he was a sight to behold when he was in full wrath mode....:D :shock:

If someone can think of a thread that showed Kel off at his best (worst?) I'd love to read it. He could not possibly be as bad as at least two federal judges I've faced and survived (but cannot name, since they are both still alive).
Thanks.
portia
Ringbearer

Postby vison » Thu Feb 03, 2005 9:41 pm

vison: joined Torc in January 2004 at the age of 59. First read Tolkien in 1966, I think it was. Passionate fan ever since.

First post on Torc: in Manwe. :shock: Woo hoo. Mauled immediately by Xhen, :cavetroll: with whom I have been sparring ever since. :bang:

Lurked a bit in movies but spent most of the year in Manwe fighting the Us Presidential election. :x

Movies is nice, it is fun, although I don't love the movies.
:) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :)

A sweeter type of poster in Movies, for sure. :heart: :hug:

:TORC:

Edited to add:

No, I don't love the movies. I love them less as time goes by, and feel little desire to ever see them again. Maybe this will change, many things change as the earth turns and the sun rises and sets. I might have a "sea change" and metamorph into a m00bie. All things are possible in this best of all possible worlds.

I spent a little while just now reading old pre-movie threads, and I must say I had to laugh at the incredible depth (or height) of furious passion displayed by this Kellanar person. My word. My laughter is not the sort that makes fun of or insults the feelings of one so savage in argument, but the laughter of relief that I was not here to be drawn in. Had I been here, I would have been drawn in. It was bad enough on another site, but the level of feeling was NEVER as deep there, nor the wit nor the fire nor the intelligence, nor the willingness to throw oneself onto the flames. (Or in front of a bus.)

I have been always fiercely devoted to LOTR, the b00k. It has meant a great deal to me, more than I might have realized had I never joined an internet forum devoted to Tolkien and the various manifestations of his works. Perhaps that is what it means in the end, or rather two things: how much the beautiful tale Tolkien wrote means to me, and how much I value the beautiful people I've met because PJ made the movies.
Last edited by vison on Sat Feb 05, 2005 12:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
vison
Ringbearer

Postby ngaur » Fri Feb 04, 2005 12:43 pm

ngaur(surviving member, sometimes.)

Age or age group when joined: Late twenties.
Most well-known 'title': No well-known titles
General stance on Jackson's LOTR: Negative, and quite adamant about it.

Description: (in his own words)

One day chanced upon an article, mentioning that the most in-depth and articulate debates and discussions concerning Peter Jacksons upcoming Lord of the Rings movies were hosted on www.tolkienonline.com. The article was right too.

Beeing of a restless and impatient nature as well as modestly egocentric he forewent the usual lurking, screamed right past the welcome forum and adoption procedures and bumped into the movies forum. That he under these circumstances, having to this day never bothered reading the TOS, never got himself banned is perhaps an achievement.

All this must have happened sometime shortly before the release of the first movie. Having seen the movie, and been heart rending(ly?) dissapointed by the all too obvious course of the chosen adaptation, he took it upon himself, and as his mission on the boards, to spare no effort in deriding the works, so as to truly impress upon the community that these were not treats for all and everyone.

Wether or not this effort was inessential, it was carried out mercilessly. Not beeing the strongest debater, he could usually rely on his thorough dislike and inherent venom to keep an argument rolling. Having expended most of the fury he eventually settled down, made a few abortive attempts to evaluate his position objectively, realised the futility of that and then puffed out

Nowadays he is semi-retired and somewhat tired. Never much a part of the community except to growl a little at the sometimes cheerful and jubilant mood. Apart from that a grey and sombre character. On the other hand he has had immense pleasure from many of the most intuitive and insightful discussions and posters wether they were to his agreement or not.

Awards:

No trophies.

Nominations:

None that he's aware of. Though he didn't really partake in the games.

[/b]
ngaur
Ranger of the North

Postby Berhael » Fri Feb 04, 2005 12:55 pm

*hugs ngaur*

:D
Berhael
Mariner

Postby Angbasdil » Fri Feb 04, 2005 2:35 pm

RC!!!11
Lovely to see you, my chirpy little minion! :happydance:

i think i actually posted more in an effort to get Ang his awards than anything else, ...

For which I am eternally grateful! :hug:

vison wrote:A sweeter type of poster in Movies, for sure. :heart: :hug:

:shock: :Q :shock: :Q :shock: :Q :shock:

The most shocking thing about this statement is that it's so true!
If anyone thinks that we're mean to n00bs in this forum, you need to go watch how those Manwistas treat each other.
Pre-election Manwe made the PvR wars look like an Episcopal church social.
If Episcopals had socials, that is.
Angbasdil
Ranger of the North

Postby Iavas_Saar » Fri Feb 04, 2005 3:43 pm

Thanks for all the profiles still coming in, I've finally updated the list. :)

We still have a very long way to go (only 45 out of 300+!), so remember, if you see a member on the list who no longer posts here, who you feel you remember enough to do a profile for, please go ahead, even if it's short. I know I'm going to have to do a lot of the past poster's profiles myself, but some help with that would be really cool if anyone can spare the time. :) (And some of them are before my time anyway!)

At some point I'll start making a website for the archive, with an alphabetical list similar to the first post that will provide a link to each persons profile.
Iavas_Saar
Mariner

PreviousNext

Return to Movies and Media: Tolkien