M00bies - A Community to Remember

What do you think of Tolkien on the silver screen...? Whether Bakshi, Jackson, Amazon, BBC radio play, or whoever else, come on in and discuss your reflections, opinions, and memories...

Postby Telemachos » Fri Feb 04, 2005 4:54 pm

Okay, I'll bite.

Telemachos (semi-surviving member)

Age or age group when joined: approx Orson Welles' age, when he made CITIZEN KANE 8)
Most well-known 'title's: "Tele", "Smellynachos", "Can of Peaches", "Jack-Booted Thug", "Fascist" ;)
General stance on Jackson's LOTR: well-satisfied, like when you push back your chair after an immensely filling but enjoyable meal.

Description: (in his own words)
I'd been following the films closely since the first 'net annoucement that they were being made (IIRC, I first saw the news on AICN). I didn't bother with messageboards back then -- just checked the various Tolkien and film-geek sites every couple of weeks to see what sort of tidbits had turned up. (Ironically, TORC was very low on my list of sites-to-check, since its news was always fairly out-of-date.) For no apparent reason one day, I clicked on the TORC messageboard link, found myself reading an intense debate between (I think) ~Elrohir~, Kelannar, freaqboy, Hama, cerin, Xhen, ringgamer, and I'm sure quite a few others. I was totally hooked by the intensity of the discussion, the fact that not everyone was a drooling fanboy (like all the other sites), and that even the TORC "drooling fanboys" were very knowledgeable about filmmaking and excellent debaters. I lurked for three weeks, made my first post (safe, totally innocuous), was welcomed by Cerin, made my second post (regarding Weathertop, and was immediately challenged to backup my assertion with specifics, including book quotes). Those were fun and wild days.

TORC has, for better for worse, been my internet home for the last 4 years (more or less, with occasional absences). I've had the pleasure of meeting more than a few TORCers over the years -- some have become dear friends.

For me, some extra-curricular fun was posting my Trinity filming diaries (in the Non-Tolkien Movies forum), and contributing "trailers" to the Moderator Deathmatches and the last two MOME Pageants.
Last edited by Telemachos on Fri Feb 04, 2005 10:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Telemachos
Ringbearer

Postby Berhael » Fri Feb 04, 2005 5:22 pm

Tele, you forget "fascist".

;)

*swoons for Tele*
Berhael
Mariner

Postby Iavas_Saar » Fri Feb 04, 2005 5:30 pm

Tele, I was wondering when you'd make it :) Now where's that Leo kid?? :P
Iavas_Saar
Mariner

Postby Berhael » Fri Feb 04, 2005 5:43 pm

Btw Iavas, I updated my entry. It's on page 2. :)
Berhael
Mariner

Postby Iavas_Saar » Fri Feb 04, 2005 6:17 pm

That's great Ber! :) You sure did write a bit.. which made me go back and add some more to mine :D

By the way, you said you couldn't remember your WCA nomination. Actually, you should have said nominationS. ;) Don't you remember getting a Critics Circle nomination just recently in the last one? :P Also, you were nominated for something like cybervixen in one of the others, which I believe you lost to vyn.
Iavas_Saar
Mariner

Postby vynaca_of_mirkwood » Fri Feb 04, 2005 7:24 pm

I KNEW I'd won something!!!! Thanks for reminding me what it was.
vynaca_of_mirkwood
Mariner

Postby Berhael » Fri Feb 04, 2005 7:28 pm

Cybervixen?? MOI??? :rofl: No wonder I'd forgotten...
But thanks :D
Berhael
Mariner

Postby Chief_Jolly » Fri Feb 04, 2005 7:35 pm

vynaca_of_mirkwood wrote:I KNEW I'd won something!!!! Thanks for reminding me what it was.

You also won "Best Breakthrough Performance In Posting (joining post 18 Dec 01)" at the 2003 TORCies, for the time when you actually made serious (and quite intelligent and illuminating) posts (the list of nominees that you defeated is quite impressive).

If you don't like what the Big Chief say, you better Jacamo feema hay
Chief_Jolly
Citizen of Imladris

Postby theduffster » Fri Feb 04, 2005 7:41 pm

Okay, here I am.

theduffster

Age or age group when joined: Late thirties.
Most well-known 'title': "Being stalked by Tookish_Traveller"
General stance on Jackson's LOTR: Very positive. A few moments make me cringe, but only a few.
Description: (in my own words)

I talked w/Rebecca this evening, she urged me to check out this thread. Reading it made me smile-and laugh out loud a few times-thanks, Marty, Whistler, Berhael!! I realized how much I've really missed this place-it was like a second home for so long. Real life intruded on me, somehow, for a long time.

I've been busy paying to put both Rebecca and her younger sister-known on the Aunties' thread as "The Nameless One"-through college. Rebecca is in her last term, busy being a student teacher. I've been slaving away for all these months for her benefit. *heavy martyred sigh* :roll: Soon, she'll be off the payroll! Yay!

I read LOTR back in the early 70's, and read my copies to pieces. Read them aloud to Rebecca, who joined TORC, then convinced me to join. We went to the first showing of FOTR together in our town, then went again that same evening. We both decided Moobies was our preferred forum-became premium members. Somehow, Rebecca still is, even though she says the $$ is never taken from her credit card-how does she do that?? :x

I found myself posting mostly in the early morning, and it always seemed that Tookish_Traveller would soon post after me. Somebody commented that she must be stalking me, soon that became a running gag. I finally met her at the Philly Moot last March. Many Torcers there thought we'd known each other before, but I'd never met any other Torcer prior to the Ph-oot. We got the idea to have an April Fool's day prank, with Rebecca and Marty flirting, and I went "ballistic"-leading to one of Lidless' funniest posts ever-Rebecca and I re-read it tonight and were howling.

Hey, I'll be back. I've missed you all so. It's like coming home. Seriously.

Awards: Torcies, Best Sigs, 2004

Edited to say that I too have touched Whistler. And Squiddy. I've drank with Mammo. And shared a bed with Lidless, and *E*. :evil: :shock:
theduffster
Ranger of the North

Postby Telemachos » Fri Feb 04, 2005 10:03 pm

Thanks, Ber -- how could I forget the "fascist" bit? :shock:

(post now edited)

Given that Leo owes me money, I may have to type up his "obituary". 8)
Telemachos
Ringbearer

Postby Berhael » Sat Feb 05, 2005 4:52 am

And it will NEED a photo too, of course. The one that was in your sig was particularly lovely. :D

;)
Berhael
Mariner

Postby Ethel » Sat Feb 05, 2005 7:55 am

Ethel (surviving, but dawdling toward the Havens)

Age or age group when joined: already amongst the Eldar
Most well-known 'title': "the Pirate's Daughter" - but that's because it's really part of my name!
General stance on Jackson's LOTR: Vexed. Loved FOTR, liked TTT, and didn't much care for ROTK :(

Description: (my own words)
I found TORC after trying several other Tolkien boards, none entirely satisfactory. Place scared the pants off me at first, so I lurked for a good couple of months before getting up the nerve to post. I've always been a fairly serious poster, but for some reason it's my lighter moments that people seem to notice. For instance, I imagine everyone who was here in 2002 still associates me with colanders (as headware) and Celeborn.

I think I invented theme months. It was sort of an accident. First Celeborn, then MOME, then... well, the rest is history. I sponsored Haldir in the first MOME, and it inspired me to learn to use PaintShop. Pretty soon I was obsessively putting him in everything from tutus to ballgowns. Craig, if you're reading, I'd just like to say "sorry!"

It has been a great, fun, wild ride. I wouldn't have missed it for the world. Thank you to all who participated - who made this the smartest, liveliest, funniest and most thoughtful forum I have ever experienced.

Awards:
* Goody Two Shoes (TORCies 2003) - quite possibly the worst award title ever devised!
Ethel
Mariner

Postby Marty » Sat Feb 05, 2005 9:12 am

Ethel wrote:Most well-known 'title': "the Pirate's Daughter" - but that's because it's really part of my name!

You forgot Ethl
Marty
Mariner

Postby The-Tennis-Ball-Kid » Sat Feb 05, 2005 9:25 am

The Tennis Ball Kid: Surviving member.

Age or age group upon joining: Old enough, but not too old...
Most well-known 'title(s)': ANNA KOURNIKOVA(courtesy TORN :x ), TTBK
General stance on Jackson's LOTR: His general stance is that he loves it, but has some reservations. Sw00ns for Howard Shore and teh music.

Description: (in his own words)
Found TORC via older brother(who lurked briefly after TTT), started lurking full-time the summer before ROTK, and joined (first time he joined a messageboard) for the heck of it the summer after ROTK. Hasn't said much much outside of some of the sillier threads, but loves lurking around the more in-depth threads.

Current curator of the meta M00bie forum thread.

Threads Started:

TTBK

I reserve the right to add to this when I think of something.
Last edited by The-Tennis-Ball-Kid on Sun Mar 20, 2005 9:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The-Tennis-Ball-Kid
Mariner

Location: The East of East, Fighting Wild Were-worms in The Last Desert

Postby Chief_Jolly » Sat Feb 05, 2005 9:45 am

Voronwe the Faithful

Description (written by Chief Jolly)
Voronwe the Faithful joined this site just after the release of the Two Towers in order to submit a positive review of that film that he had written (which was published on the front page, perhaps to balance the several negative reviews that had already appeared there). He soon discovered this forum, but his time there seemed to be destined to be short, as most of his contributions seemed to be roundly ignored by the existing members. However, just when he was ready to give up, he got an email from a very sweet person (who mainly lurked at the time, but has gone on to become one of the most beloved and admired posters here in her own right), thanking him for his insights and contributions. So he stuck around for a while.

Voronwe started many threads, but was perhaps best known for his participation in the moral universe and related threads, as he was most interested in exploring the philosophical implications of Jackson's interpretation of Tolkien's work. It was here that he learned that very different opinions of the value of the films and their success at adapting the book was no obstacle to establishing an enduring friendship.

While mostly a serious poster (some would say too serious), Voronwe also enjoyed m00bies' silly side. His "I Love the mOObies [sic] Forum" thread went through many iterations, both silly and serious. He also often participated in his friend Lucy's Memento thread, perhaps the most clever and outrageous thread in m00bies history. He also started and orchestrated a humorous thread detailing all the things the famously (infamously) contentious m00bies bunch could agree upon, which was great fun, and helped solidify more friendships with posters both new and old (including one person who later exhibited an uncanny ability to express V's own thoughts and feelings about the books and films better then he could have).

After a disagreement with another valued poster led to a reevaluation of his participation here, he reincarnated himself under the name Sador_Labadal (a name specifically chosen to remind him of his own failings). It was as Sador that he devised the term "transendentalist" to describe those whose appreciation of the value of the films transcended the films flaws and logical inconsistencies. Sador also orchestrated a popular "Best Scene in the Films" poll.

After a few months, Sador gave way to Voronwë_the_Steadfast, and after another almost thousand posts, he returned to his original Voronwe_the_Faithful persona, complete with his original Starry Night sig pic. He was quited touched to be voted the Compass of Earendil award as the poster who most influenced other m00bies posters' thinking; what a long way he had come from the n00b who couldn't get a response to any of his posts! Despite his foibles (and annoying name-changes) his love for both the work of Tolkien and of the filmmakers, and most of all for this community, was clear to all to see.

All seemed well, but there were dark clouds on the horizon. He was rocked by the banning of perhaps the m00bies' most beloved poster (under circumstances that Voronwe found difficult to understand). After the disagreement in this thread, he eventually came to understand that his own vision of what TORC was about did not match that of those who were running the site, making it difficult for him to continue to support the site.

However, he found that he cared too much about the people in this community (and topics of discussion) to stay away for long. Chief Jolly was a nickname of his long before he was Voronwe, both as a tribute to the great New Orleans legend George Landry, the uncle of the Neville Brothers and the founder of the Wild Tchoupitoulas, and as a take off of the West African word Jali (or griot), an individual that perserves the history of the community. Chief Jolly was a title that was given to him in a West African percussion email list because of his propensity for reminding people of what had been said in the past. On that note, and in answer to Portia's question, some good examples of Kelannar's participation here can be found at The Purist counter-attack: we've heard it all before andThe Leonides* and Kelannar Debate. True m00bies classics.
Chief_Jolly
Citizen of Imladris

Postby Ethel » Sat Feb 05, 2005 12:43 pm

Marty wrote:You forgot Ethl

Thank you for reminding me, Mary.
Ethel
Mariner

Postby portia » Sat Feb 05, 2005 2:40 pm

Chief_Jolly wrote:Voronwe the Faithful

On that note, and in answer to Portia's question, some good examples of Kelannar's participation here can be found at The Purist counter-attack: we've heard it all before andThe Leonides* and Kelannar Debate. True m00bies classics.

Thank you. I read part of the first one, and I will get back to the others.

While I do not know what information was available during the time these posts were made, I still can't help wondering how such firm positions could be taken BEFORE any of the movies came out.
portia
Ringbearer

Postby Whistler » Sat Feb 05, 2005 2:50 pm

I saw that swoon, Ber.
Whistler
Ranger of the North

Postby Edhelwen » Sat Feb 05, 2005 3:13 pm

Just a note to say- I'm reading this it's just that I can't seem to stop lurking. I've falling very badly behind in the threads and I want to say so much and it's all clear in my head but every time I try to write it down it doesn't work so I delete the post and go back to lurking. This seems to be happening to every aspect of my life so far but I really don't feel like talking about it.
Anyway I'll try to write something when I have the time though I really don't know what to say apart from: Got on peoples nerves. Acted like a silly little girl. Hung out in "Hm..." a lot and had "Eds Evil minions month".
Oh well. We can't all be Whistlers. :roll: :P

Ed.
Edhelwen
Ranger of the North

Postby Sassafras » Sat Feb 05, 2005 4:10 pm

Thank you for including me, Iavas.

Sassafras: surviving member

Age or age group when joined: Antedeluvian

Most well known title: ? nickname: Sassy

General stance on Jackson's LOTR: Mostly positive. The sum exceeds the parts.
Taken as a whole I love these films. Dissected, I find much to criticize; especially some of the more flamboyant plot departures
and character deviations (MOS, Denethor, sending Sam home etc).
It is in the quieter moments that I believe Jackson came closest to
capturing some of the essence that I know from the book.

Found TORC quite by accident from a link while trawling other sites.
Lurked in m00bies for several months before registering and then lurked
some more reading and delighting in several old threads (made it back
to FOTR 2001 release) and my first thoughts in persusing those old posts
were, "my god, but these people are obsessed with minutia!" .....
although I rapidly became enthralled at the level of intelligence and erudition of several posters.
I watched with voyeuristic pleasure the
Wildwood debates ..... will she break down and see the films or wont she?
I developed an affection for, and an appreciation of, certain posters ....
Voronwe, Lidless, Semprini, Jynusa, Diamond, Ar-Pharazon, Tele, Wilko and many more whose posts I would eagerly devour.

I even copied 'Tolkien's Moral Universe' to my hard drive. :shock:

My one regret is that I did not post earlier. I would have loved to participate in some of those debates; for, of course, I am equally obdurate and opinionated.

Now I am usually to be found trading quips in the monthly theme thread with the occasional foray into one or two of the few remaining serious
topics.

I love the community here. I hope it can survive unmolested by the
encroaching dark.
Sassafras
Rider of the Mark

Postby The-Tennis-Ball-Kid » Sat Feb 05, 2005 4:46 pm

Oh well. We can't all be Whistlers.

Actually, we used to be able to for just $99.95(+shipping&handling), but the line was recalled because.....well, I don't remember why, but it was. I'm still waiting for my refund.

ttbk
The-Tennis-Ball-Kid
Mariner

Location: The East of East, Fighting Wild Were-worms in The Last Desert

Postby Whistler » Sat Feb 05, 2005 8:42 pm

The-Tennis-Ball-Kid wrote:
Oh well. We can't all be Whistlers.

Actually, we used to be able to for just $99.95(+shipping&handling), but the line was recalled because.....well, I don't remember why, but it was. I'm still waiting for my refund.

ttbk

Bah! Those “Whistlers” were neither authorized nor worthy of the name. Many of the parts were made in Malaysia by workers moonlighting from their jobs constructing lava lamps. The materials were shoddy, and the working conditions at the Whistler knockoff plant were such (given the absence of proper mechanical apparatus inspectors) that many of those employed there were minus thumbs, fingers and other vital body parts. How many bodies were mangled and crushed for the purpose of quenching the (entirely understandable) worldwide thirst for rebirth in the image of Whistler? Was it really worth it all, given the cost?

Obviously, yes. In my opinion fingers and thumbs are overvalued, especially when they belong to other people. And yet––ah, me! How silly you were to imagine that one could be a Whistler, with only the investment of money! A Whistler (of which there is one, and one only) is created not only through years of experience and training. Ah, no: A Whistler is tempered like steel! He is forged in the furnace of Philistine loathing and contempt, beaten by the hammers of the brainless bourgeoisie. And finally his steel, being dipped into the cooling depths of Art, grows strong indeed––and sharp!

Yes, that is the means of producing a Whistler. Attempt it at your peril!
Whistler
Ranger of the North

Postby The Watcher » Sat Feb 05, 2005 9:08 pm

Oh, for what it is worth, and because MOVIES (not M00Bies) was so important at one time......:D ( and yes, we debated EVERYTHING TO DEATH before even FOTR came out. That was what made it so fun........;))

The Watcher: now wondering "why" surviving member

Age or age group when joined: Old enough to know better than to state this, actually age 39

General stance on Jackson's LOTR: On the Fence. I will explain:

If I was judging the movies purely in their own right, they are and cannot be debated as being an unqualified success financially. Cinematically, there were parts that I thought were overly long and drawn out. But, PJ has a penchant for monsters and battles and he wanted so hard to bring ME to life that I think I can grant him some creative license here, since he had so many toys to play with. Some of his achievements were incredible (Andy Serkis/Gollum, the Shire and Bag End, the look and feel of Minas Tirith, etc.) Some were overkill (The Ringwraiths, the battle scenes, the angst and melodrama in major characters.)
Overall as movies: ****(out of five)

As Tolkien adaptations: I cannot state that I find these films transporting me into the same world as what reading the books did. Hey, it is my own hangup. I see these two creations as very seperate and different things. I am still a purist at heart, even though I can acknowledge that Tolkien himself would have been a lousy screenplay writer. Still, I would have rather seen less plot inventions and character changes, less emphasis on battles and more on background and story cohesiveness. And, I still hate film Elrond and film Denethor, and dislike the changes to Aragorn, Arwen and Faramir. I will not even go into Saruman. So there!! :P :P :P

Why this is not anymore the MB I loved must have to do with the Elves sailing West, since all good things come to an end.....I just thought I would feel the same way. :(
Last edited by The Watcher on Sun Feb 27, 2005 6:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Watcher
Ranger of the North

Postby SilentWraith » Sat Feb 05, 2005 9:30 pm

A few more people for your list, Iavas:

Nár
draupnir
Marwë
spd
evenstar1
mytherielle

Also, although I might be wrong about this, I thought that Novice and Impenitent were the same person?
SilentWraith
Ranger of the North

Postby Iavas_Saar » Sat Feb 05, 2005 11:21 pm

Voronwe, thanks for the excellent description. :)

Edhelwen, I hope you find something cool to write about yourself, I'm sure there's lots of things. :)

SilentWraith, thanks for extra names, I can't believe I forgot people like Nar and Marwe. :doh: And of course I need to add you as well. :) I don't know if Novice and Impenitent are the same, I'll try to find out.
Iavas_Saar
Mariner

Postby Nerdanel » Sun Feb 06, 2005 2:57 am

Nerdanel (rarely seen in movies anymore)

Age or age group when joined: 20
Most well-known 'title': I called myself "Noldorin bookworm" but that was later.
General stance on Jackson's LOTR: Mostly positive with a few niggles.

Description: (in my own words)

I was one of the more extreme revisionists around, but far from the most vocal since I don't particularly like participating in prolonged debates that go nowhere. So I did posts in a scattered manner that still amounted to quite a pile over time. My biggest thread success was the thread that started the huge pre-FotR carrot controversy. I took significant part in the scientific Elven hair color debate where I opposed NiennaSorrowing and claimed Legolas could possibly have been blonde. I even did probability analyses and researched the inheritance of hair color in the well-documented Finwë's descendants. (Did you know that Finwë is likely to have carried a recessive gene for golden hair?)

I am on record for liking blue Lothlórien (I may be the only person here whose imagination it matched) and my initial problems with "radioactive Galadriel" resulted from the First Viewing Syndrome and have since disappeared. I didn't much like Arwen at the Ford but I thought the flaw was in the clumsy execution, not the idea itself. Overall despite my revisionism I had huge problems with the First Viewing Syndrome that continued into the second viewing and even beyond. The first times I was so caught up in analyzing the movie I just couldn't let go and enjoy it.

I am fine with the alteration of Faramir (which I claim isn't that extreme as some people make out) but I think the character of Denethor was absolutely massacred, particularly in the theatrical edition. I am still bitter about it.

I am the author of The Great Chocolate Cake, a humorous allegory of the events and feelings that were seen before FotR came out. I also participated a lot in the latter half of Project W.I.N.K.L.E. and wrote some topical top ten lists and a huge pile of song parodies the greater part of which were for songs that were not famous at all.
Nerdanel
Ranger of the North

Postby GandalfsMother » Sun Feb 06, 2005 8:44 am

I'm an imposter!
Last edited by GandalfsMother on Sun Feb 06, 2005 9:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
GandalfsMother
Petitioner to the Council

Postby Gandalf'sMother » Sun Feb 06, 2005 9:21 am

Profile:

Name: Gandalf'sMother
Sex: Male
Nationality: American (but have recently also received Italian citizenship)
Current location: Rome, Italy (will be at LSE in London next October)
Languages spoken: English, Italian, Spanish, Pig-Latin and Bocci
Date joined: Sometime around the year 1789
Interests: Good films, good literature, good art, and good sports (like baseball). I also like high-powered electric chess boards, renewable energies, geopolitics, and the absence of a legitimate European defense.
Opinion on LOTR books: Highly recommend them
Opinion on PJ's films: Remind me of the one time I was forced to drink 4 litres of coca cola that was a little flat (aka. I like coca cola but I don't like having to drink 4 litres of flat coca cola very much)
Background historiography (also posted elsewhere):

When I told my mother I wasn’t particularly Catholic, she chased me around the kitchen table with a wooden spoon. When I told my father I wasn’t the most devoted fan of amoral familism, he replied, “Well, for your sake, I hope you’re a zealously committed fan of mowing the lawn.” He seemed to always forget that I was horribly allergic to grass. However, when I told them both that I’d like to break the common sociological rule of first-generation sons of immigrants, and spend a year digging at my roots, they gave me money.

My parents were both born in the foothills; on the outskirts of a small Ionian coastal town in southern Calabria. A place of North African clime, right around the toe of the boot. La Marina di Gioisa Jonica it was, and still is called. That very non-Italian, Hellenic, southern “J” still clinging to the town’s name with the same rugged tenacity in which the local cultivators cling to their scorched fields.

Those scorched fields were an early morning, late afternoon, and evening playground for my parents in their elementary school days. That is, if one considers hopelessly hacking at baked earth with a rusty spade a form of leisurely sport. “That was our divertimento,” they would say. At roughly ten or eleven years of age (my mother may have been twelve, she doesn’t remember), both were, without fuss or question, removed from school, so as to fulfill their roles as assets on the land, and to properly contribute to the family’s well-being. In all likelihood, those golden days of joy, simplicity, and back-breaking hell, were responsible for the severe shoulder and spinal complications they both suffer from today (although my mother blames the pain on quote “rearing and raising Godless atheists,” and my father on the “combined weight of too many god-damned utility bills.”)

The early-to-mid 1960’s saw a new wave of southern Italian emigration to the North American continent. The crop yield was poor, JFK looked a star on television, and the Mezzogiorno was compelled to follow. At 17 years of age, this fever, carried on the wind, somehow found my television-deprived father while he was out coaxing olive trees into dropping the few sad fruits they’d laboriously managed to birth. He caught whiff of it, ironically, by means of a rather foul-smelling neighbor who went by the nickname of “Piscato”(translation: one who has pissed himself). This unfortunately branded individual had heard tell of “great fortune and parentless daughters.” Having already chosen his life companion, and hoping to establish a financial basis for a future union, my father ignored the latter prospect, and answered the call of the former.

My teenaged mother, with characteristic fatalism, never truly expected his return, convinced he would fall prey to America’s numerous unholy vices; namely fast luxuries and convenient women. All the same, she soon buried this despondence and took to keeping up, by today’s standards, a frighteningly frequent correspondence.

After a long flight on a plane equipped with a turbulence-attracting device, a fortnight’s adventure crossing Canada’s porous border, and an alarming tussle with an overweight xenophobic bus-driver in Buffalo, my father found himself gawking at the sky-line of the gloriously mundane city of Boston, Massachusetts, where he would soon become very well-acquainted with one of the city’s few entertainment treasures; the 1800 Restaurant’s “dish-room scene.” After five years of 80 hour work weeks and steamy love affairs with dish rags and brillo pads, my father, unlike many of his fellow Italian émigrés, felt the unyielding pull of the motherland (not to mention the unyielding pull of my mother’s letters), and could no longer resist.

However, the land of work, freedom, and cars that could double as ocean-liners, had him intoxicated, just as it did with so many southern Italians, eager and willing to assimilate. In this drunken state, he hopped over the Atlantic, completed his twelve-month military service, fetched my mother, slapped a ring on her finger, hopped and skipped right back over the ocean, and in no time at all, before my mother could even finish praising the Pope for my father’s triumph over hedonism, had managed to purchase a fine ranch house by a major highway and to produce three seriously unattractive children, one of which was, to their ultimate distress, myself.

-Mother Maiar
Gandalf'sMother
Ringbearer

Postby Zazinka » Sun Feb 06, 2005 11:02 am

Since this seems to be one of the most active movie threads left, I hope I may be excused for stopping by to ask a film-related question of you all.

Does anyone know or remember an unoffical website from a few months back that had a lot of behind-the-scenes ROTK pictures posted? They might possibly have been screencaps from a "Making of ROTK" doc or feature--I honestly don't recall, but in any case the pictures included some of the hobbits in their riding-home-to-the-Shire clothes and a lovely shot of Elijah Wood and Sir Ian Holm on the set of the riding-to-the-Havens scene, with PJ.

I have lost the link (for my sins) and I've been looking everywhere on the Net for this. I thought it might not hurt to put the word out a little wider.

Many thanks for any leads and I apologize for the interruption. :)
Zazinka
Shield Bearer

Postby Old_Tom_Bombadil » Sun Feb 06, 2005 11:24 am

Iavas, I don't know whether you are documenting the posts made here in another location, but if you are you'll likely want to review my edited post on page three of this thread. Having given the matter some thought after viewing the posts of some of the others, I felt that I should express a bit more of my thoughts on the LOTR movies phenomena. Thank you for presenting the TORC community to collectively consider what the experience has meant to us.
Old_Tom_Bombadil
Ranger of the North

PreviousNext

Return to Movies and Media: Tolkien