M00bies - A Community to Remember

What do you think of Tolkien on the silver screen...? Whether Bakshi, Jackson, Amazon, BBC radio play, or whoever else, come on in and discuss your reflections, opinions, and memories...

Postby Rebecca » Sun Feb 06, 2005 11:27 am

Ok, here's my shot at it:

Rebecca: barely surviving, mostly lurking, member

Age or age group when joined: early twenties
General stance on Jackson's LOTR: Loved it as a way for me to visualize some of what happened in the books. Some things really irk me, but I still think they're great movies.

Description:
So I've been here for quite some time, but as you can see from my relatively low post count- I mostly lurk. I've come out of the shadows from time to time, but not that often. I originally was checking out Ringbearer.com for LotR movie news. But my favorite people I soon learned weren't actual Ringbearer members- they were invading due to TORC being down. I remember Mr. bunny and Whistler especially. Whistler started a hilarious thread about Gandalf's death I believe? Oh man, those Ringbearers were so mad at him, but I thought he was the best ever. That made me check out TORC. I also convinced my mother, theduffster, to check it out. That's probably been my best contribution to TORC. ;)

I checked out all the forums, but was continually drawn back here to m00bies. Since then I can recall many crazy adventures including speculation on Whistler's Mysterious Post, many of the theme months, judging MOME, and being dragged into the Aunties thread over in Talk. There was talk of abducting theduffster and I, so I had to check it out to see what it was all about.

Back at the beginning of 2004, duffster and I decided to go to the Philly m00t. She told me she'd pay for a PM for 3 months if I hit 1,000 posts. That meant I needed somewhere around 400 more. I began posting a bit more, but of course, most people still weren't aware of who I was. But that changed with my tremendous amount of flirting during the...TORCies I believe? Anyway, that got me noticed for a short while, at least. Marty never did have my babies, but I somehow managed to post some insane amount in a short time.

Meeting TORCers in Philly was great fun that should be repeated. I met some fabulous people. And I talked to Ethel on the phone, but the first thing she said to me was "Rebecca! You slut!" Hmmm. Us Philly m00ters planned an April Fool's joke that was never allowed to reach fruition. In the course of that thread, Lidless said "BTW – Marty? Rebecca tastes like sweet honey." Hmmm again.

There’s been great times and great memories. I miss posting here, but I just find that I don’t have much to say any more. But it’s wonderful to see so many familiar faces here in this thread.
Rebecca
Ranger of the North

Postby Dave_LF » Sun Feb 06, 2005 2:01 pm

Dave_LF (still around somewhere)

Age or age group when joined: 24
Most well-known "title": None
General stance on Jackson's LotR: Not the books, but very good

Description: (written by himself)

I feel sort of like I'm writing my own obituary. :)

I read the books for the first time in ~1990, and heard that a few studios were looking into the film rights in a Time article in 1992. So I suppose I was anticipating the films for about 8 years.

Lurked for a while during spring '02; finally motivated to post by the "Will Aragorn Fight Sauron 1-on-1?" thread. Bernd and Vynaca were the first two people to post back at me (Bernd mocking my newbieness, Vynaca telling him to lay off). My posting probably peaked during the months running up to TTT, when I dissected each and every still released to try and figure out the general plot outline and how it would deviate from the book. What I ended up with was pretty accurate, if I do say so myself ;). I remember Nilson_The_White's "Banquo" spoiler threads well. For ROTK I went to the other extreme and tried to avoid spoilers completely. Each approach had its benefits and drawbacks.

People will probably remember my sigs describing the various things you can do to make God kill kittens better than anything else I've done. There was also a flurry of photoshopped Celeborn sigs a while back that I had some hand in starting. I've done little more than lurk since ROTK was released, but I'm still around.

Awards: none
Dave_LF
Mariner

Postby Kezmoid » Mon Feb 07, 2005 9:45 am

Kezmoid (mostly lurking nowadays)

Age or age group when joined: 20
Most well-known "title": None that I know of
General stance on Jackson's LotR: Extremely happy with

Description (written by himself)

Like a lot of people here I came to TORC through TORn after following a link on their messageboard to a thread on ROTK by TreeMos. I purposely stuck to lurking until I finished university as I knew that if I joined I'd just post all the time and never get any work done!

I'm probably best known for my massive ROTK and TTT:EE spoiler thread which probably helped to get me noticed. With all three films now released and no more need for spoilers I have taken increasingly to lurking.

(I may write more later if I can think of anymore to say)

Awards

Best Spoiler Finder TORCIE award
Kezmoid
Ranger of the North

Postby Chief_Jolly » Mon Feb 07, 2005 11:03 am

Kezmoid wrote:Most well-known "title": None that I know of

Kezmoid the Great. ;)
Last edited by Chief_Jolly on Mon Feb 07, 2005 2:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chief_Jolly
Citizen of Imladris

Postby InnocentEvil » Mon Feb 07, 2005 1:38 pm

Iavas_Saar wrote: I don't know if Novice and Impenitent are the same, I'll try to find out.

They're the same poster, Iavas.
InnocentEvil
Ringbearer

Postby Queen_Beruthiel » Mon Feb 07, 2005 2:25 pm

Queen_Beruthiel: hardly here nowadays in Moobies. Still active in the other fora.
Age or age group when joined: forty – something
General stance on Jackson's LOTR:
As films: Good adventure films despite the cheese and the schmaltz. Far above routine blockbuster level (I rented King Arthur last night: meh!), far below the classic adventure films.
As adaptations: Mediocre.

Description: I drifted here from TORN. Posted. Immediately got beaten up by TheWagner and GM (I’ve forgiven them: I deserved it) and eventually sort-of settled down. ;) I think I inspired the theme months by accusing the PJ-lovers of being capable of defending anything: even semi-comatose film-Celeborn. So darling Mammo started a Celeborn!Rocks! thread as a joke. :D I think that’s what happened. :)

I miss the old days: the great take-no-prisoners copy-and-paste debates.

I am a sad person and have been known to interrupt family holidays and leave off drinking in order to scour various remote parts of the Northern Hemisphere (the Alps, Hebridean islands) for cyber cafes so that I could TORC.

It’s been a wild ride and I can’t bring myself to leave and go forth into the real world. Not quite yet.

TORC: Best!Messageboard!Ever!

:grouphug:
Queen_Beruthiel
Ranger of the North

Postby Queen_Beruthiel » Mon Feb 07, 2005 2:39 pm

Off topic: Inny, do you know if Rom has any plans to return? He is sorely missed.
Queen_Beruthiel
Ranger of the North

Postby Kallimac » Mon Feb 07, 2005 4:47 pm

Kallimac (surviving member, I guess)

Age or age group when joined: Old enough to know better
Most well-known 'title': Kalimac, Kali
General stance on Jackson's LOTR: Loved it.

Description: (in own words)

Not sure what to say. I have a very low post count because of that! No, actually I am a major lurker not only on TORC but on quite a few other Tolkien bulletin boards as well. I actually came here long before the displayed join date. I primarily posted on Tolkien-movies, War of the Ring, Ringbearer, Imladris, Rivendell, Hobbit Mothers, and on occasion the Coming Soon board. The reason I was here was for movie information which I posted regularly throughout the Tolkien fandom. I also gathered information about websites which I reviewed for inclusion into an Internet directory. I am an information maven.
But, something happened in between my quest for info and interaction on TORc. I found the discussions and personalities here lively and engaging, and far more adult than most other boards. There was always an interesting take on the films . . pro or con . .that I could often find on one of the many various threads. I enjoyed the discussions immensely . . and, I probably should have joined in the conversation more. One of my favorite threads of all the Tolkien boards remains the Marty spoilers thread.

What has been a pleasant surprise is how many people seem to cross over between various Tolkien boards, far more than is ever mentioned. Every board seems to have a focus or personality. The Minas Tirith and Entmoot forums are filled with people who disliked the movie. Ringbearer, Coming Soon, War of the Ring are very social places. Tolkien movies has drifted further into the political arena and away from any meaningful Tolkien discussion. But, TORc is hanging in there. It's a wonderful place to come for some brain stimulation or just a laugh. Thanks for the memories.

And, now, back to my lurking wandering ways. :)

[edited for spelling]
Last edited by Kallimac on Tue Feb 08, 2005 5:02 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Kallimac
Shield Bearer

Postby Mummpizz » Tue Feb 08, 2005 4:34 am

Mummpizz has left the building
Age or age group when joined: 37
General stance on Jackson's LOTR: I loved them when they came out, cherished them as the EEs hit the shelves, somewhere around New Year I dropped the thought of having a triple-EE-day someday, today I am a bit ashamed of my former love, just like one may be ashamed of an early childhood love and the foolery connected with it.

Description: Mummpizz - an adoptee of Ethel and Saro - told nonsense, tried to be funny and had outbursts of Pro-Bakshi-Rants.

Awards: Nominated for funniest sig pic sometimes, never won.
Mummpizz
Ranger of the North

Postby InnocentEvil » Tue Feb 08, 2005 10:44 am

Queen_Beruthiel wrote:Off topic: Inny, do you know if Rom has any plans to return? He is sorely missed.

I don't, QB :(
InnocentEvil
Ringbearer

Postby jeanelf » Tue Feb 08, 2005 3:25 pm

Great Idea; thanks! :) Lovely reading....

jeanelf (barely breathing member)

Age when joined: 41
Most well-known 'title': None; I was pretty invisible, I'm afraid.
General stance on Jackson's LOTR: I liked it very much, indeed, although the books will always come first in my heart.

Description:
When I discovered the films were to be made, I searched around various sites and finally felt most at home here. I fully enjoyed meeting each of you. To discuss the story with people of different ages and backgrounds was an eye-opener and a lot of fun. Everyone had a unique viewpoint and it was wonderful to share a passion for the story that I've loved for so many years. I initially and mainly posted in books, although I did venture out in a big way for MOME once or twice -- also published 9 poems which I really am a little proud of. Thanks to those of you who took the time to critique them.

It's been a great adventure here in its own right and it's sad that all journeys must eventually end. Thanks for a bunch of wonderful memories to all and for keeping me young at heart. But I must take the time to say a special thank you to Wilko, Impenitent (a/k/a Novice), Carni, Mahima, Arphy, Alys, and Aninkling for your personal courtesy and kindness that you showed to me on a regular basis. I hope we meet again someday...
jeanelf
Ranger of the North

Postby orodreth111 » Tue Feb 08, 2005 11:39 pm

I seem to have been left off the list, an oversite I'm sure.

Here is my profile, such as it is.:)

Name:Orodreth111

Joined date: November 2000

Age when joined: 32

Most well known title: Can't remember

Stance on PJ: I have come full circle. A spectacular piece of work.

Self description: A Purist that learned alot from others that were more saavy to the art of film than myself. Found TORC thanks to a friend that gave me a link. More of a Book guy than M00b but still have a great appreciation for the long debates and battles that have been fought in this forum. Thank you all for such a wonderful time....peace.:)
orodreth111
Ranger of the North

Postby Dunthule » Thu Feb 10, 2005 2:14 pm

Here goes ..
Name: Dunthule (Originally started as JWW in August 2002)
Joined Date: August 22, 2002
Age when joined: 30's

Most Well Known Title Hmm .. had a few. :wink:

Stance on PJ's Movies I've been such a fan of the books that I didn't have the expectations that the movies would meet my imagination. I think PJ did a very good job for the most part. In general, the spirit of the books was caught. Though Frodo could have been a bit more "sturdy". But, I am not an armchair director. :P

I found TORC about 5 years ago from a link at another thread. I think the Ringbearer. I lurked for a while, mostly interested in what news existed about PJ's movies. Vigo who??? Then I saw the first internet trailer and whoosh .. I was off and posting. I first joined as JWW but changed names after about a year. Everything was exciting back then on TORC. (Still is, but in a different way). The movies were an unknown and many posters on TORC were just plain crazy. I believe my first post was in the thread that was debating whether Davey the Balrog would or should have wings.

I think people remember me best from several things:
- Started the Pig Latin Thread
- The still untortured knight in Flammy's Guild of Dark Ladies. :wink:
- I can always be found in the Choirs of Eru songs forum.

I love Tolkien and TORC! May the interest in them never end! 8) :)
Dunthule
Ranger of the North

Postby Breogan » Fri Feb 11, 2005 10:23 am

Name: Breogán
Joined Date: Jul. 9th, 2001
Age when joined: 26
Most Well Known Title: No idea

Stance on PJ's Movies: I understand this trilogy is PJ's vision of LOTR. I respect that. Therefore I know changes need to be made to adapt the story from a leather-bound pile of pages onto a silver screen.
Some of these changes annoyed me big time and i can't see the reason behind them. Some otehrs were spectacular and brought tears to my eyes.
I loved them as films, meaning the EE's. So, as films, I loved tFotR and TTT, and was greatly disappointed by RotK.
But tehy simply cannot compare to the books.. .
However I believe PJ to be a great and corageous director.
WETA did a ground-breaking job which is virtually flawless, and 85% of the actors casted were perfect for their roles.

Description: I came across TORC back in 2001, IIRC it was around April. I was browsing searching for information on the upcoming Fellowship film and followed a link to TORCs news. From that day on I lurked every now and then, until one day I decided to join. It took me several weeks to start posting - I haven't the slightest clue what my first post was about. I soon befriended Berhael, who became an "older sister", since we had a lot of things in common. I used to post quite frequently here on Movies and on the Goth Guild founded by Ber, where I met Fatcat Dave (one of the nicest and funniest people I've ever met), but I gradually moved towards the Book sections (esp. Languages) of the messageboard, which is the area I really belong to.
I've attended several UK moots where I met TORCers I now consider my friends, such as Wilko, Iavas, Truehobbit, Leoba, Andri... and of course, Berhael and Fatcat Dave.
I have now reduced my posting area to Languages and Books, IMO, the last quiet place here in TORC...

Awards: Never been nominated or awarded any of those TORCies or WCAs or whatever they are called.
During First Man of Middle Earth 2002 beauty pagent - My red-haired Noldo sponsored a disco-dancing Dark Lord Sauron and his troupe of mafiosi balrogs (Paulie and Tony) and orcs. IIRC I was awarded the 1st. prize for my multicharacter story, and although the The Dark Lord Sauron did not win the MoME title, He came second.

~I Elleth e-Noss Faenor~
Breogan
Ranger of the North

Postby Iavas_Saar » Fri Feb 11, 2005 1:52 pm

Thanks for the new ones :)

So far:

Total on list = 339
Profiles submitted = 63

Percentage completed = 19%
Iavas_Saar
Mariner

Postby Farawen » Fri Feb 11, 2005 11:34 pm

Farawen (Status: has moved on)

Age or age group when joined: 25
Most well-known "title": Far out, Faraweird
General stance on Jackson's LotR: Okay. In hindsight, FOTR the best, ROTK a disappointment.

Description

Been there, done that. Getting nostalgic as I type this, hence shutting up now.

Awards
Fledgling of the Year, Female - WCAs 2004
Drool Award - WCAs 2004

Nominations
Gollum Award, TORC Knee Slapper, and I think another one I can't recall right now. All WCAs 2004
Farawen
Ranger of the North

Postby MithLuin » Sat Feb 12, 2005 1:20 am

Okay, I'll try, since I'm on Iavas's list...

MithLuin: sporadic member - several long absenses
Age or age group when joined: college student
General stance on Jackson's LOTR: "It's great! But give me 6 hours and I'll tell you what's wrong with it...."

Description (by me):
Often referred to as 'Mith', commonly mistaken as male. First mistook Kelannar for a female when I came across him, though, so no hard feelings. I seldom start new threads, but prefer to respond to others' questions/observations. I joined the board when the membership was small, the discussions were uninformed, and the TOS did not exist. I saw many changes, and many people come and go. My early days in the Movie Forum were spent trying to be a voice of reason and keep things from getting too heated. I particularly remember the thread in which we convinced buzz to be civil, and everyone agreed that saying 'who peed in your Cheerios?' was inappropriate. I enjoyed the intense speculation and the tidbits of news that trickled in, and did my share of goofy casting lists (I remember choosing Tim as Gandalf ;)). When we did get the cast, I enjoyed people's remarks based on other movies they had seen the actors in. I signed the petition requesting that Arwen not be converted into a Warrior Princess, and laughed at the petition complaining about the 'Two Towers' title for the movie after 9/11. For the Timeline Project*, I took the chapter 'A Window on the West'. Shortly after the first FotR trailer, though, I dropped out of the Movie forum, confining my activities to the Books and Talk Forums. For some time, I only posted in the Manwe-esque threads of Talk. Then, I left TORC altogether sometime in the early Spring of 2002 when my post count reached 999. When I returned in Fall of 2003, I felt like a newbie because everything had changed. I had lost touch with the people I used to post with (such as Magpie Jen and meneltarma) and got to know many new faces (too many to list!). I was heartened to recognize (and be recognized by!) mandos and Eluchil. Since my return, I have discovered Fandom, and the ladies of Frodo's Kitchen. I particually enjoy movie discussions in which a scene is gone over in nit-picky detail to reveal the greater significance. I still disappear at times, but in general my absenses are briefer. I contribute to the Annotated LotR Project and One Word Trivia in Books, and the Costumers Guild, and many more threads. I have never had a signature, I have never posted under another name, I have never met another TORCer in real life and I have never had a Premeire Membership.

*In case the reference is too obscure, the Timeline project was developed to determine how long it would actually take to film Lord of the Rings as written. Each person was to choose a chapter, and then type out all the dialogue of that chapter (hence, descriptions were eliminated). Then, you were to read through the dialogue (as written; no changes) and determine the length of time that would be needed to film it. It had its own forum, but the threads were lost when the messageboard was converted to Enthusiast software, and thus it died an untimely death. The world will never know...

This looks really long to me. I'd be happy to edit it, if you like. Wouldn't this project be more effective, though, if other posters wrote about us, instead of us writing about ourselves?

Edit: Yes, Novice was the old name of the current Impenitent. Hard to be a novice forever, you know ;). If anyone knows Romestamo's plans, Novice will....
MithLuin
Mariner

Postby Iavas_Saar » Sat Feb 12, 2005 9:53 am

Wouldn't this project be more effective, though, if other posters wrote about us, instead of us writing about ourselves?

I have been trying to encourage that from the start. :) I will add any comments about a poster submitted by someone else to their profile. In many cases where the poster no longer posts here, they will need their profile done by someone else.
Iavas_Saar
Mariner

Postby Chief_Jolly » Sat Feb 12, 2005 10:25 am

Iavas, I fully intend to help with this project. Here is my first attempt.
Anyone who wants to fill in more information is very welcome to do so.

Magpie - past member
Age or age group when joined: ?
Most well-known 'title' or nickname: Maggie
General stance on Jackson's LOTR: Thoughtfully positive
Description: (by Chief Jolly)
Magpie was one of the most thoughtful and intelligent "defenders" of PJ's films around here. Like most people, she had her issues with the films, but had great appreciation for their strengths, and was unusually eloquent and convincing in discussing them. She was a key participant in the threads about nobility and morality in the films and books. One of the things that I personally remember best (and appreciate most) is that Maggie was able to enunciate better then anyone else what is so powerfully moving about the scene in The Two Towers where the Nazgul is hovering above Frodo in Osgiliath. I believe that she also was the one who pointed out that the words that Galadriel says to Frodo in the book after her temptation about the Elves love for their land being deeper then the sea, and their regret undying, but that they will never submit to Sauron, are actually present in the film as part of the soundtrack, translated into Quenya, and sung as part of the lament to Gandalf. She also started excellent threads defending the film's portrayals of Faramir, and of Frodo and Sam.

Nominations:
* Best Revisionist (TORCies 2004)
* Best Master Debater (TORCies 2004)
* Compass of Earendil Award (White Council Awards 2004)
Chief_Jolly
Citizen of Imladris

Postby The-Tennis-Ball-Kid » Sat Feb 12, 2005 11:15 am

This (I believe) is Magpie's site, which is a very good analysis of the soundtracks.

I was rather suprised I didn't have a link to it in the META thread, soon enough corrected....

ttbk
The-Tennis-Ball-Kid
Mariner

Location: The East of East, Fighting Wild Were-worms in The Last Desert

Postby Chief_Jolly » Sat Feb 12, 2005 12:47 pm

Thanks, ttbk. I thought about including a link to that site, but I wasn't 100% sure that it is the same person.
Chief_Jolly
Citizen of Imladris

Postby Jnyusa » Sat Feb 12, 2005 1:05 pm

Maggie had tremendous insight into the characters of Frodo and Sam and was one of the foundational posters in Frodo's Kitchen.

Jn
Jnyusa
Mariner

Postby Frelga » Sat Feb 12, 2005 1:57 pm

That was a pleasant surprise, to find my name on Iavas's list. Here's my profile.

Name: Frelga (surviving member)
Date joined: July 22, 2003
Age when joined: grown-up but immature
Stance on the movies: The trilogy went from brilliant to not-bad.

Profile (written by self):
Found TORC by accident while looking for movie news. Read the front page for some months before even finding the boards. A Caption Contest inspired Frelga to get an ID so she could play (she won).

Frelga gained her first few swords playing Trivia in b00ks. Her early post in m00bies, Diminshment thread, drew her into a lively debate with ArPharazon, which centered on Richard III for some reason. That was probably the only time Frelga actually argued with someone in m00bies. She soon noticed that some posters took criticism of the movies personally, and she really didn't feel it worthwhile to upset real, live and often quite nice people.

A pragmatist where adaptation was concerned, Frelga nonetheless found more than one fault with PJ's movies. She attempted to point out that this attitude had nothing to do with purism, citing her husband as a proof that someone who never read the book but loved the movies could still see those same faults. Those attempts were largely ignored. Frelga returned to books and vented her frustration in the infamous n00bie trap, Is the book as good as the movie?

While not a true-blue m00bie, Frelga found TORC to be a great addition to and a major distraction from her life. She posted her first original story in Scriptorium, then broke her year-long resolve to not get involved in Role Play, then joined the Bard's Guild and a few others. Her favorite havens in the M00bies are Going to Osgilliath and Teremia's M00bies read the B00ks.

Awards: None. But I did win a few Caption Contests.
Frelga
GNU Terry Pratchett

Postby Iavas_Saar » Sun Feb 13, 2005 1:20 am

V, thank you so much for wanting to help out, you're awesome! I will start writing profiles for past members soon as well. :)
Iavas_Saar
Mariner

Postby PStewart » Sun Feb 13, 2005 7:13 am

Llavas, Im honored that you added me, a relatively minor character with a few recurring scenes in Moobies, on your list. I hope my profile does not come off a too self-absorbed. But I can tell you it is honest. Here goes.

Name: Paul Stewart (surviving member)
Date joined: Fall 2003
Age when joined: 34
Stance on the movies: Extremely positive. Brought Tolkiens world to life.

Profile (written by self):

I found TORC, like others, when I was looking for news about the last and greatest chapter, Return of the King. I couldnt believe the community here. Both the good stuff (incredibly mature members) and bad (venomous PvR debates).

I first learned about Jackon's movies in early 2001. At the time Fellowship of the Rings was released, I had recently been injured and I was recovering from a 2nd spinal surgery and was not well enough to see the movie in the theaters. When I was on a trip to Los Angeles for medical reasons, I saw Fellowship on the marqis of the Theaters (it was December 2001). I wanted so badly to enter but it would have been too physically painful.

It would be another 7 months ultil I finally saw Fellowship. When I saw it on DVD, a 3 year journey of amazement and wonder layed before me. I also hoped that physically, I would be healed.

December of 2002, I had absorbed scores of vieweings of the Fellowship EEs, and saw the Two Towers. I needed pain medication and seizure medication to control my spinal pain when seeing TTT. It allowed me to enjoy the movie. I left happy, though slightly let down. But when the EE for TTT came out in NOvember 2003, I loved it all the more. I was so anxious to see then end, and I began posting here in Moobies. I love dthis commuinity. I learned so much about Tolkien! I also planned to have a final spinal surgery, sometime after Return of the King came out. I believed that as the upcoming 3rd chapter would mark the end of the story. I looked forward to the end of the story and also my own healing.

In Christmas 2003, I saw ROTK, and was utterly overwhelemed, emotionally and physically. It was the most moving story I had ever seen. This was when the forum was at it height, and I couldnt have been happier (and sadder) that the story was coming to and end.

In 2004 I had my 3rd major spinal surgery and I wasnt made any better. I realized then that, like Frodo, I would never be truly healed. I would likely spend the remainder of my life with a painful disability. It was then I understood Frodo's words.

"How do you pick up the threads of an old life? How do you go on, when in your heart, you begin to understand, there is no going back. There are some things that time cannot mend. Some hurts that go too deep, that have taken hold."

When Frodo left Middle Earth, I knew I was both saying goodbye to the movies, and that I was also saying goodbye to this forum, and my old life when I was healthier. I had always thought that the LOTR trilogy would help me through my trials and would end on a happy note, both in the movies and in my life. I then realized that things dont always turn out for the better. I am glad I was here, and will enjoy these stories forever. I try to have the strength to say to my family, and my two little neices who were born this year, and I suppose to anyone in this forum.

"You can't always be torn in two, you will have to be one and whole for many years. You have so much to enjoy, and to be, and to do. Your part in this story will go on"

Awards: None.
PStewart
Shield Bearer

Postby Whistler » Sun Feb 13, 2005 7:20 am

Awards: None?

Then we shall have to come up with one for a post like that!
Whistler
Ranger of the North

Postby Queen_Beruthiel » Sun Feb 13, 2005 7:45 am

This thread rocks.

:grouphug:

:TORC:
Queen_Beruthiel
Ranger of the North

Postby Voronwë_the_Steadfast » Sun Feb 13, 2005 11:04 am

Paul, wow! That was very moving. Hopefully, this forum will still be able to bring you some pleasure in the future, and that you will continue to find some healing, perhaps in unexpected places. You certainly deserve it.
Voronwë_the_Steadfast
Rider of the Mark

Postby Iavas_Saar » Sun Feb 13, 2005 1:02 pm

Paul, thank you so much for sharing that.

You made me tear up just reading Frodo's words applied to your life. They are such beautiful, poignant words, and you have made them more so.
Iavas_Saar
Mariner

Postby Texas-hobbit » Sun Feb 13, 2005 8:40 pm

This thread does rock, Queen B. ! :)

Paul, that was a beautiful account of how Tolkien has affected your life. You embody the trait which has made Frodo my favorite of JRRT's characters, that of simple courage in the face of an unyielding foe. Thank you for sharing your story with us. I hold out hope that you will find healing yet, for new treatments seem to happen frequently these days. :hug:

Whew! I'll regather my composure here.

Iavas, I hope you don’t mind my adding another round of missing names. I’m sure it will be impossible to think of them all, but some of these stuck in my mind from past threads. It’s kind of like trying to think of the names of all seven dwarves (Snow White, I mean, not JRRT)…somehow I never can think of all seven, but I forget a different one each time. :lol: That doesn’t mean Sleepy is more important than Happy…anyway, I digress. If any are alternate usernames, maybe someone will point that out. Some of these names stick in my mind simply because they are so unusual or funny.

Lady Coralie, Eleventy1TipsyHobbits, DaMusikMan, orodrethlll, Elvenchild, IrishElf, brambleroseGamgee, EAL (I always wondered what that stood for), HELMHAMMERHAND, Sidonzo, LadyNiwella, Aliana, BobtheBalrog, Lacemaker, Harvester, miles2go, BunnyPhobia, NimrodelSong, sauronsfinger, balrogthane, NabooHuntress, MerriadocBrandybuck, Unwin, Katarina, Elana, Telperien, Good Sam, ElvenArcher, Elbereth the Fair, Hobbituk (I know he’s a mod, but he does show up in Moobies now and then), Bard-of-Laketown, BarKeepinBree, Mylady, goatboy, Legessa of Gondor, IamNotAnOrliFan (this one seems to have issues…:P ), Heir-of-Elendil, Castanea_d .

I will have to return at a later time to add to Lucy’s post and to do mine. The Powers That Be have found my Real Life remote and hit the fast forward button. :(

By the way, I have a suggestion for those who want. I was wondering if each poster who mentions a particular thread they posted/argued/laughed in, if they have the time, perhaps could also provide a link to the thread. I know some may be in laureanna's massive database thread (now maintained by ttbk), but if we don't know exactly what the thread's name is, it would be easier to check it out if the link is right there in the post. I do use the Meta Forum 3.0 (when it's working), but this would save some time for the slower computers. Just a thought. :)
Last edited by Texas-hobbit on Sun Feb 13, 2005 10:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Texas-hobbit
Ranger of the North

PreviousNext

Return to Movies and Media: Tolkien