M00bies - A Community to Remember

What do you think of Tolkien on the silver screen...? Whether Bakshi, Jackson, Amazon, BBC radio play, or whoever else, come on in and discuss your reflections, opinions, and memories...

Postby Lembas_Junkie » Mon Feb 28, 2005 5:28 pm

Hi, Iavas! :)

I am sorry you will not be here to update this thread anymore ( Namarie and thanks again for the "Gandy with Rosy Glasses" sig pic inspiration during Marketing Month here in m00bs! :D ).

Lembas_Junkie (Surviving Member)

Age Group: I was in highschool for the Grunge Phase. 8)

Nickenames: People mostly just call me Lembas or L_J. But I've also answered to Lembas Lover and Goatie-Lovin' Weirdo... :P

General stance on Jackson's LOTR: I went into FOTR with an open mind; I knew that "the books are the books, the movies are the movies", and having recently finished the book, I was excited to see the movie; and so I was not disappointed at all. Obviously, since I went to see it again quite a few times! 8) I was living in Ireland at the time, and just felt like I was always in the Shire anyway. :heart: I'd still be excited if someone else, somewhere down the road, felt up to the task of challenging PJ by making an even better movie. =:) But that's probably because I know that PJ's are all done, and there's no more coming out!

Unless he makes The Hobbit. :thumbsup: *hopeful*
Update November 24th 2011: Well would you look at that, he is! :) So here I am again. <3

Description: (own words) I'm a pretty light-hearted person in real life and usually post as such here on TORC, but I certainly do love to read the serious and more thoughtful posts of the other wonderful users. My interest in the movies was what got my Google-ing the net for a Tolkien website, but the main reason I signed up for TORC was the laugh-out-loud humour I found here. :D I was hooked! There are SO many posters who've just cracked me up, and I loved following (and sometimes joining in myself! :) ) those threads.

Now that the movies are over, I've been posting less and less here, but I still read through threads, and I do post a bit. :) I've discovered other stuff by being a member of this site, too: wonderful on-line pals, really h0tt Frodo fan fic =:) and reading other Tolkien stuff besides the LOTR Trilogy.

Awards: MOME 2004 - First Prize! Frodo Baggins :D
TORCies 2004 - Best Nickname :)

I'm glad to call TORC my very first internet community.

Lembas :grouphug:
Last edited by Lembas_Junkie on Thu Nov 24, 2011 6:51 am, edited 2 times in total.
Lembas_Junkie
Ranger of the North

Postby Tinwe_Linto » Mon Feb 28, 2005 8:57 pm

Tinwe_Linto
Age when joined: 40
General stance on Jackson’s LOTR: Exceeded my expectations, which were decidedly low. Came to see the films as “Jackson’s LOTR”, not Tolkien’s, which helped.

Description: (own words)
Like others here, I stumbled across TORC while searching for information about the movies. I mostly checked the news, and occasionally glanced at that strange thing called the messageboard. I had never belonged to a messageboard before, never been in chat room, nothing. I didn’t want to become one of those weird people who spend all their time on the internet. LOL! I glanced at some of the front page messageboard subjects from time to time, but never went too deep into it.

All that changed one night when I saw a topic on the front page that caught my eye. It said “Is the book as good as teh movie?” I thought, who could ask such an idiotic question? So, I went and checked it out. I spent the next two hours reading the most hilarious thing I had ever seen. When I was done, I decided that I had to be part of it, so I joined and started posting away.

I spent my first few weeks in the book forum, then ventured over to Manwe, where I settled down quite nicely, thank you. :D As a respite from the stress of Manwe, I joined up in an erudite and insightful thread called “LOTR makes it debut in horror genre? lol” in Tom’s forum, where I met most of the people who would become my best friends on TORC - Holbytla, Athrabeth, Anthriel, Ellienor, Laureanna, Farawen, Griffin64, sh_wulff. Since most of those people were m00bies regulars, they eventually drug me, kicking and screaming, in here.

I haven’t participated much in the deep discussions of m00vies. Most of my posts have had to do with trebuchets, donuts and Eowyn’s stew. My introduction to the forum was Holby and Ellie’s beach party theme month, and most of my subsequent participation has been in the monthly threads. They were a blast, and I will miss them.

Awards:
Nominations:Fledgling of the year - Male. 2004 WCA’s

Edited by the White Council Moderator. This member is NOT banned.
Tinwe_Linto
Ranger of the North

Postby Ornendil » Mon Feb 28, 2005 11:21 pm

Ornendil (dead and gone member. may choose to pop in for an occational bi-monthly post)

Age when joined: 16-19 (Yep. I wasted my best years on internet messagebards)
Nickname(s): Ornie, Orn, Orendil, Ornedil, Ormdil (and other misspellings I pretend were made out of love)

General stance on PJ's LOTR: I like them. They're good movies. Have gotten less and less positive as the years passed, but they're still good. A bit immature at parts, but I can just skip those scenes.

Stumbled across TORC searching for information about the books. Started out as a bookie-type (or whatever you call them these days), but ended up as a m00b after a couple of months. I liked the place and decided to stay and waste my time here. Never have I been to such a great board. Full of smartasses with a witty humor and unhealthy knowledge about Tolkien and PJ's movies. I miss you guys.

Awards: Scavenger Hunt - Golden Hamster Award (wasn't that the one I got? Can't remember)

Nominations: That best thread nomination noone voted for.
Ornendil
Ranger of the North

Postby Magpie » Tue Mar 01, 2005 2:32 pm

Name: Magpie (Not over the sea yet!)
Age when joined: 30s
General stance on Jackson’s LOTR: Went in with no expectations and was wonderfully surprised. I have quibbles with things in the movies, but they'll always be associated with the fondest of memories for me, as I hope they will be for everyone involved with them. It was an amazing artistic thing to be there for as it happened, getting ready for a new movie each year, re-reading the books, coming together with people through this thing. If I ever had grandchildren and they loved the movies I imagine I'd have to turn into an old hobbit and start reminiscing, "Oh, but you can't imagine what it was like when they were just coming out..."

I was compelled to seek out someplace to talk about LOTR as an adaptation after seeing the first movie in ways I'd never wanted to talk to anyone about LOTR before. It had been more of a private experience then, but now there was stuff to talk about...obsessively. At first I was just going to read what other people said, but the conversation was so good I had to jump in.

I really enjoyed my time arguing over points of adaptation, though of course eventually you feel like, "Isn't this where I came in?" I also spent a lot of time in Manwe, and it seems like every other day I use something I learn there in life or in talking to someone else. Most important, perhaps, is Frodo's Kitchen in the book forum. Like I said, I used to be pretty private about LOTR, probably because I couldn't have guessed there'd be a place like the kitchen where you could say this kind of thing and have everybody understand. And here I am a few years later having watched Frodo, Pippin and Merry play a game of charades, sat through 10 hours of the movies in a row, shared lembas bread with other fans, learned out to do chat, shared jokes with people from the movie. It's pretty tremendous!

I haven't really stopped, actually, just moved to a different corner of the Shire. I'm still chattering.

Nominations:Tolkien Guru (which I'm sure was meant for someone else!), Best Debater
Magpie
Ranger of the North

Postby The-Tennis-Ball-Kid » Tue Mar 01, 2005 2:43 pm

Hi, Magpie, just as clarification of a question raised eariler, is this your site? Or is that another bird with the same name?

:)

ttbk
The-Tennis-Ball-Kid
Mariner

Location: The East of East, Fighting Wild Were-worms in The Last Desert

Postby The-Tennis-Ball-Kid » Tue Mar 01, 2005 2:43 pm

My first double post. Heh, might as well celebrate...

:drink:

ttbk
The-Tennis-Ball-Kid
Mariner

Postby Ellienor » Tue Mar 01, 2005 4:02 pm

Tinwe, :hug: You are one of my favorite people. Hope to be seeing you around some more in the near future!

And speaking of donuts, what is up with KrispyKreme? You need to get over there and straighten them out..... :D
Ellienor
Ranger of the North

Postby ToshoftheWuffingas » Tue Mar 01, 2005 4:37 pm

I am so glad Magpie is still around. When I started to lurk early in 2004 her posts were what made me want to try and contribute myself. She has shown an intense insight into the character of the hobbits for instance. A poster to be treasured.
ToshoftheWuffingas
Ranger of the North

Postby Elmtree » Tue Mar 01, 2005 5:36 pm

Elmtree

Age when joined: 39

Nickname: Elm

General stance on PJ's LOTR: Like Jemima in the poem, when they are good they are very very good, and when they are bad they are horrid. BUT- overall, more good than bad, and relative to what is usually spewed out in the movie theatre-- outstanding. Flawed, but still worthwhile, especially The Two Towers (marred only by Filmamir's awkwardly changed character), and FOTR (marred in a few spots, but ending with great great beauty). They could be better, but heck- only if you (like me) demand perfection.

Read LOTR as a child in 1969, read and reread it for years. Played "Lord of the Rings" as a kid with my friends (using my Dad's wedding ring as 'the ring'). Came across TORC after hearing on the AOL Star Trek boards that LOTR movies were going to be cast... first I found Tolkien-Movies.com, and from there stumbled into TORC (and thought it was TORN at first:)). Was here for some of the famous (or infamous) Purist/Revisionist wars- starting back when filming had just begun! And was a proud contributor to Project WINKLE (freaqboy, where are you!?). I used to think I was a die hard Tolkien fan, until I stumbled into the Books and Languages forums... and found folks who seemed to have PhDs in Tolkien! When they came into the Movies forum and began arguing and discussing... I felt awed.

Awards/Nominations: Never had one that I can remember. Don't really care, either. I just like to sit in my rocker and talk about "the old days" (meaning TORC before Dec 2001).:)
Elmtree
Not all those who wander aren't lost

Postby mechtild » Tue Mar 01, 2005 9:47 pm

Magpie, you posted! I can't tell you how often I think of things you wrote about the films and especially about the central hobbit characters. I thought you were one of the bests explicators of an argument I'd ever read here. Your posts in Frodo's Kitchen (and other Frodo-related threads, which were the ones I primarily read) were always a pleasure and an education to read. I loved the way you were able to state your case so clearly, so strongly, with such style, and yet not sound confrontational or disrespectful towards your opponent in an argument (which could happen in this Forum 8) ).

It was already mentioned by another appreciator of your posts, above, but your commentary on the Nazgul rising up before Frodo in Osgiliath was superb. I had always suffered from extreme cognitive dissonance watching that -- my intellect rebelled at it but somehow, at the same time, I just loved it. You helped me see why. I saved that post onto my hard drive and I've even dragged it out and quoted it on other boards (crediting you, of course). I told someone only last week when we were recalling posters we found truly exceptional, "this poster called Magpie, wow! -- was she a fantastic arguer! Heck, if there was anyone in the world who could have talked me into thinking it was a good idea to have film Frodo send film Sam home, it would have been she." And it was true. You once wrote a post to show why some adaptation choice or other that I hated was justified, and you were so persuasive, by the time I'd finished reading it I was saying, "Yeah, that makes a lot of sense to me, too!" (Though once "the Magpie-spell" had worn off, I came back to my senses! :D)

I'm a little ashamed to sound so gushy, Magpie, but you stopped posting in threads I visited before I ever had a chance to tell you how much I admired and valued your work. I'm just happy, at last, to have a chance to say it here.

~ Mechtild
mechtild
Ranger of the North

Postby Diamond of Long Cleeve » Wed Mar 02, 2005 11:00 am

This was, indeed, a community to remember.

I will never forget any of you.

Namarie.
Diamond of Long Cleeve
Mariner

Postby The-Tennis-Ball-Kid » Wed Mar 02, 2005 11:14 am

And you've been a poster to remember, a true Diamond.

ttbk
The-Tennis-Ball-Kid
Mariner

Postby semuta » Wed Mar 02, 2005 1:46 pm

semuta (surviving member)

Age or age group when joined: late 20's
Most well-known 'title': none
General stance on Jackson's LOTR: Enthralled despite more than a few blunders.

Description: (in his own words)

I can't remember how I found this place, but I torched some postings on the main page for a while to get started. Eventually, crawled into the movies forum and attempted to contribute. Soon became a Bernd fan. I saw early screenings of all three films, and passed on some spoilers and expectations.

Threads started: Where Did the LOTR Movie Adventure Begin for You? and few other clunkers. Tried to organize local TORC meetups, and eventually met Entwife_of_Fangorn and Nienna99 at the ROTK premiere in Mpls.

Awards: none
Nominations: none
semuta
Ranger of the North

Postby sh_wulff » Wed Mar 02, 2005 8:14 pm

sh_wulff... still here

it is Marty's fault... I owe him a cyberbaby for spoiling me rotten for ROTK ... sadly started too late for some huge debates.. however have given the occasional opinon

Age or age group when joined: 4th decade :wink:

Most well-known 'title': "wulffie" "she-wulff"

General stance on Jackson's LOTR: love them, emotionally moving, aesthetically overwhelming... and forgive those parts I don't agree with.. hey I can always close my eyes, just like I skip the booooring parts of Tolkien.. Pragmatist with a capital "P"

Description: see above .. Began as a m00b but slowly covered more territory... lately been so overwhelmed by RL studyng and work that I play in Fandom and the monthly thread where there is an excecrable collection of musings in rhyme before my morning caffeine or after my 2 standard servings of lycopenes and antioxidants :wink: well maybe three

love playing with words.. proud bringer of the "gropehug".. and yes sometimes a leetle saucy. Come here for the laughs, mostly. Desultory fanfic author... and alas sadly watching the death throes of "the Horror" and "the Book" thread

lurk a great deal... once a wulffie always a wulffie

Awards: none
Nominations obssessed and salacious sw00ner..

email.... my name AT that yahoo place dot com

waves at Stupid_orcs glad our paths crossed babe :D
Last edited by sh_wulff on Wed Mar 02, 2005 9:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sh_wulff
Ranger of the North

Postby Singingfox73 » Wed Mar 02, 2005 8:50 pm

Wow, I cant believe I got a mention! Im flattered :D

Singingfox73 still here as well

Gender girl--or I had better be or hubby will be upset! haha! :P

Joined this last april--stumbled upon this site ages ago, but never checked it out till this last april, mostly as an attempt to stay away from chat rooms where i usually waste my online time :roll: Decided I liked using my brain more, and no annoying people trying to IM me here with inane questions, or worse, nasty propositions :shock:

Age when joined30, turned 31 and nearing 32 now....*sigh*

Names known bySingingfox73, SF, or Fox

Stance on PJ's LOTR As films in their own right, they are pretty great. I understand that PJ couldnt be 100% true to the books or the movies would EACH have been 5 hours long, not to mention very confusing time-line wise. There is always a problem translating a book to a movie format--I accept this and move on. There are things *I* would have done differently if *I* was the director, but its not called "creative liscense" for nothing. I went into the theatre expecting something along the line of The Princess Bride (effects wise I mean) and got the shock and suprise of my life. I was moved to tears in parts of all three movies, and that doesnt happen often.

Description Here on TORC, I spend most of my time in Fandom or Tom's House--Im here because its fun. I like the light-hearted banter in Tom's House, and in Fandom I can drool over Eomer with others of like mind and not sujbect my husband to my silliness. I do have a serious side, but TORC is my fun escape valve. I will continue to hang out here until it is no longer fun or interesting to me. I do respect those who are of a more serious bend, but there is room here for the scholarly and the silly, which makes it even more interesting!

One semi-serious thing that's happened since I became a member of TORC is that it finally motivated me to finish reading LOTR(pause for gasps of horror from those who have all the books memorized)--which finally ended the over 10 year quest to read them. I honestly TRIED, at least once a year for the last ten, to read from The Hobbit to Return of the King, and would always get stuck about where Bilbo gets stuck in Mirkwood. And Im a voracious reader, love books, especially fantasy and light sci-fi. But this year(or rather 2004) I did it--all my new friends here at TORC finally gave me the impetus to get it done, and I got through all of them in early May--on the way home from a week long trip to Kentucky for work! So I thank all of you here for helping me do something Ive wanted to do for over a decade! :grouphug:

Awards none, but then I had only been here for 7 months when the WCA awards came around for 2004 so....
Nominations Despite the above, I did get ONE lone nomination for "TORC Knee-slapper" -- someone out here found one of my inane bits of silliness amusing/inspiring/noteworthy!
Singingfox73
Ranger of the North

Postby tolkienpurist » Wed Mar 02, 2005 9:03 pm

I have a lump in my throat right now. I returned to the site for the first time today, and have spent the past couple of hours shocked at all that has happened during the months that I've been away. Even though I am no longstanding TORC member - at fifteen months, I remain no more than a midbie if not still a n00bie - this, then, seems such a fitting time for me personally to remember how much I've loved this place since I joined (and during the years before while I lurked), how many times it's brought a smile to my face, and what a strong, positive feeling I have about TORCers who I have never met and never will. It is sad that all things, particularly on the Internet, must sail into the West, because I sit here tonight feeling that I would do anything to have the TORC Movies Forum of late 2003 and early 2004 back here again. In eleven years on the Internet, TORC - and this forum particularly - will remain my most cherished memory.

tolkienpurist (surviving member, but eyeing the Havens)

Age or age group when joined: Young Adult
Most well-known 'title': TP. Just TP.
General stance on Jackson's LOTR: Wildwood is my heroine. For further clarification, see username.

Description:
I'd been lurking around TORC since 2001 but never felt ready to participate. I joined the site in 2002 under the extremely creative name 'AAAAAA' to post a strongly negative, emotional, not well thought out view of TTT, but did not return to the boards after that until Dec 2003, although I continued to frequent the TORC main page for news.

On December 28, I saw Mithfanion's post explaining his problems with PJ's creation (or some element thereof; I no longer remember). Suffice it to say that I found that post compelling enough to join - surrounded in RL by a world of people who could see no wrong in Jackson's creation, I felt vindicated that at least one person saw things the way I did - and could express their feelings better than I could. I immediately jumped right in that day, and suffice it to say that my studying for winter term exams over the following days was doomed. I couldn't stop posting, couldn't stop reloading TORC, couldn't wait for the next posts from Mith, ArPhy, halplm, Wildwood, Cerin, Ethel, and more. It was the most wonderful introductory experience that I'd ever had online.

I quickly began to venture out into other forums, discussing Goodkind in "Other Books", the highly intellectual thread "Is Teh Bok Better Than The M00bie?" (or whatever the final name was) in Books, everything from stem cell research to queer marriage in Manwe, and all manner of silliness in Tom's and Talk. I learned the DEFINITION of "derailed thread" on TORC. A tongue-in-cheek post that I decided to make after surfing eBay one night to find that a seller classified LOTR:TTT as a "horror movie" turned into the alphabet thread, "LOTR makes its debate in the horror genre? LOL". Definitely one of my favorite "giggly" memories of TORC. However, I always identified first and foremost as a m00bie, even though I never did enough to deserve the title.

I wouldn't even presume to start listing all those who have touched me emotionally here on TORC, but I can say that I am so thankful for having had this experience, even if it was all too finite in duration.

- TP

Nominated for: Best Duo on TORCies 2004 with halplm, who proved to be my near-brain twin on Movies, and my exact opposite on Manwe.
tolkienpurist
Rider of the Mark

Postby Nár » Thu Mar 03, 2005 8:10 am

"I have a lump in my throat right now. I returned to the site for the first time today, and have spent the past couple of hours shocked at all that has happened during the months that I've been away."

Personally, after a long absence (with some lurking from time to time) yesterday I decided to visit TORC to say hi to a couple of friends. And now I'm still trying to understand what the hell has happened. All I see are locked threads and people talking about bannings, but I have still to figure out who was banned or why.

Ornie:
"Nominations: That best thread nomination noone voted for"

I did. But it was a mistake ;) :D
Nár
Ranger of the North

Postby vison » Thu Mar 03, 2005 9:24 am

Nár wrote:"I have a lump in my throat right now. I returned to the site for the first time today, and have spent the past couple of hours shocked at all that has happened during the months that I've been away."

Personally, after a long absence (with some lurking from time to time) yesterday I decided to visit TORC to say hi to a couple of friends. And now I'm still trying to understand what the hell has happened. All I see are locked threads and people talking about bannings, but I have still to figure out who was banned or why.

Ornie:
"Nominations: That best thread nomination noone voted for"

I did. But it was a mistake ;) :D

No doubt you will be informed when it has been decided that the time of waiting has been fulfilled. :(
vison
Ringbearer

Postby Primula_Baggins » Thu Mar 03, 2005 9:59 am

Nár, if you see an email address of someone who might know what happened and to whom and so forth, you can always email. ;) There is no reason information cannot be shared freely off the boards.
Primula_Baggins
Ranger of the North

Postby Queen_Beruthiel » Thu Mar 03, 2005 10:14 am

Nar!

Magpie!

...bursts into tears....
Queen_Beruthiel
Ranger of the North

Postby Lembas_Junkie » Thu Mar 03, 2005 10:27 am

Nár wrote:Personally, after a long absence (with some lurking from time to time) yesterday I decided to visit TORC to say hi to a couple of friends.

NAR!!!!! *runs at full speed and tackle-hugs* So nice to see you back! :hug:
Lembas_Junkie
Ranger of the North

Postby FrodotheWise » Thu Mar 03, 2005 10:32 am

Good to see you again, Nar. Hope you stay with the forum in spite of what has happened since last Friday.

edit: same goes for you, Queen_B. I miss the film discussions we've had in the past.
FrodotheWise
Ranger of the North

Postby ToshoftheWuffingas » Thu Mar 03, 2005 10:52 am

* shackles Her maj and the larcenous corvid to very large iron balls*
Now neither of you are going away until you have written a long essay each.
*Plucks a tail feather from teh black and white one and sharpens the end*
Stop squawking, that didn't hurt. Now here's a quill so there's no excuse.
ToshoftheWuffingas
Ranger of the North

Postby Magpie » Thu Mar 03, 2005 11:42 am

Hi, Magpie, just as clarification of a question raised eariler, is this your site? Or is that another bird with the same name?

It's not my site--but thanks for the link. I'd never seen it before!

Also, DUDES! I'm completely overwhelmed by people saying these things about me in this thread--especially you guys, who I respect so much. I...well, I probably said all this in my original post, but this board was just a treasure of intelligent posters.

When I started to lurk early in 2004 her posts were what made me want to try and contribute myself.

This makes me really happy. I'm glad you started posting yourself!

Mechtild, you crack me up. :lol: I think I even remember that thread--and it's good you came to your senses. :wink: I mean, not that you still hated something, but just that we could explain our different ways of seeing it to each other. I had my mind changed on a lot of scenes in the movies too. Even as I was arguing my own pov I'm sure I was thinking, "Hmm. She has an excellent point. If only PJ had not done it this way!" (It's still always a relief to go back to the book and remember Frodo *didn't* send Sam home, isn't it?)

**Feels great love for everyone**

-m
Magpie
Ranger of the North

Postby Frelga » Thu Mar 03, 2005 12:12 pm

TP! Ain't it grand to see you! :) And where's your evil twin, JacksonPurist? :twisted: And yes, I realise you don't remember me. No matter, I remember you.

Magpie, you've been profusely welcomed, but that won't stop me from adding my $.02. It was thanks to your insightful comment that I finally came to terms with Frodo claiming the Ring - something that bothered me through all the years of reading The Book.

Nár, there is an email list thread in The One Ring forum, where you can find email addresses of many TORCers.
Frelga
GNU Terry Pratchett

Postby Elf-princessButtercup » Thu Mar 03, 2005 12:15 pm

Elf-PrincessButtercup (I'm not dead yet so I guess I'm "surviving")

Age or Age group when joined: Old enough to be university fresh(wo)man
Most well-known title: um, the few who knew me called me "Buttercup"...or stupid or crazy or whatever works :P
General Stance On Jackson's LOTR: we all know that all generalizations are wrong but if I could sum up my feelings in a single word then..."Brilliant"

Description

I lurked a few months after TT's release because I wanted to see what people outside my circle of acquaintences thought of this movie series I was coming to love. Here I realized that many hated it (or, at least, were severely displeased) and since I thought "it's not like the book" was the silliest argument ever I decided to join. I made my first appearance in some "N00bie B00bie" or such whatnot kind of thread and, as a typical TORC welcome, I got mocked by Lidless for my sissy name. Good times.

My posts in m00bies were largely ignored but I didn't deserve notice. I preferred reading other's thoughts anyways. My most memorable m00bies moment came when it was leaked out that Saruman was being completely cut out from ROTK's TE. I got caught up in the hoopla, rising from a post count of 950 to 1000 in about two days and having one of the mods (I *think* crispycreme?) say he loved me :shock: when I switched my allegiance to Saruman's banner along with a couple of other posters.

I was more well-known in the Fandom and Writing Forums. I had/have a certain love for those with either red hair or staring blue eyes :wink: . I only started a thread or two of my own, the longest being about 3 or 4 pages. It was in the writing forum called "Pucker Up? The Importance of Romance".

Now I occassionally lurk in the "Other Movies" forum but my life at TORC is largely over. The movies were wonderful--my favourite of all time--but I'm tired of discussing them, defending them, nitpicking and such. Also, right now I'm following the production of another fantasy movie--the Chronicles of Narnia--for these were the books I grew up on as a kid. Tolkien was relatively brand new to me when I first saw FOTR in 2001.

So, to those that care,

Adieu and see you around the "others" forum.

~Buttercup~
Elf-princessButtercup
Ranger of the North

Postby theduffster » Thu Mar 03, 2005 4:15 pm

theduffster
Age when joined: 38
General stance on Jackson’s LOTR: Started out expecting a Bakshi-style fiasco, have come to adore them, if you skip the Arwen bits.
Description: (own words) Lurked on TORC for months w/ my eldest daughter, who joined before me. She joined just using her rl name, Rebecca, TORC was much smaller then! After posting, noticed that some weird Tookish person would almost always post right after me. She eventually starting greeting me in each post. It was only when I learned that she actually lives within a few hours drive of my home that I became really alarmed. :shock:

Despite being stalked all over the boards by this...stranger, I managed to survive TORC's mood swings. I left the boards for a long time, returned only recently. I missed seeing posts by so many m00bs, such as jnyusa, Iavas and Voronwe. Of course, I enjoyed posting with my own daughter Rebecca. In the Talk forum I chatted with Alassante_Estel, Rodia and so many other wonderful people.

Of course, TORC has gone thru it's wacky, crazy times, when it seems to be suffering from PMS and lashes out at innocent bystanders. I've learned, when things are tense around here, to just lay low, stay calm, and offer my email address if anyone wants it.

Didn't I win for best sigs in the Torcies? 2004? I forget. Man, I used to be so funny!

Rebecca
Age when joined: 18
General stance on Jackson’s LOTR:I think she liked them. 8)
theduffster
Ranger of the North

Postby Tookish_Traveler » Thu Mar 03, 2005 4:59 pm

:whistle:

:thppt:

**tiptoes out after theduffster**
Tookish_Traveler
Party-monger

Postby The-Tennis-Ball-Kid » Thu Mar 03, 2005 7:15 pm

Magpie: Okay, I just figured that there could only be so many Tolkien fans floating under the name o Magpie. I guess I was wrong. :?

Hi, Smooshy! (that is you isn't it?) :wink:

ttbk
The-Tennis-Ball-Kid
Mariner

Postby Nár » Fri Mar 04, 2005 5:34 am

(hugs everybody) It's so nice to see you all. The only thing that saddens me is that I've come back in what seems to be a dark hour in the history of TORC...

QB, I missed you too...
My dear friend Lembas, you knew I was going to come back, at least to poke fun at you when SW: Episode III will come out :D
Hi Frodo! I certainly won't visit TORC as much as I used to, but now I have surpassed the most difficult years at my university. The toughest exams are gone, so maybe I will find some time to post.

-------------------------------------------
Name: Nár
Age or age group when joined: twenty-something
Most well-known 'title': "Nár " is short and simple, so I guess I didn't need a nickname.
General stance on Jackson's LOTR: I started as a pragmatist, then I guess I became a "Shagratist()" :D Overall, Jackson's trilogy is brilliant: visually gorgeous, wonderfully acted and with a fantastic soundtrack. However, its sheer beauty is occasionally spoiled especially by what I consider obtrusive cheesy humour and the failure to maintain a consistent tone. It far surpassed my expectations; it's excellent, but could have been even better.

Description: I have been absent for something like ten months, still (occasionally) lurking, but not posting, overwhelmed by work and study. I used to spend quite a lot of my spare time on this board from 2002 to 2004. The first thread I read was Gandalf'sMother's famous "Not so positive review": I laughed so hard I almost died :D My first post was on a "LOTR parodies of famous songs", and I was kindly welcome by Nerdanel. I was also an usual poster in the Non-Tolkien movies forum, and I spent some time in the Books and Art Forums. I remember with pleasure working on the Turin adaptation with my friends Ornie, SilentWraith, FrodotheWise, draupnir. I also enjoyed the Iavas-Gandalf'sMother duels, Lidless' and Hama's humour, and my discussions with LembasJunkie, Queen_Beruthiel, Semprini, the always awesome Shagrat(), Luinnenion, Valdagor, Lord_Morningstar, and other friendly, interesting people I met here. As an easy-going, quiet pragmatist I don't think I've ever quarrelled with anybody , although I've poked my beard in almost every discussion on this board in those years and disagreed with both Purists and Revisionists.
Awards: I'm the kind of quiet, anonymous individual who never wins awards... but visits at night the houses of the winners and steals their trophies... :D
Nár
Ranger of the North

PreviousNext

Return to Movies and Media: Tolkien