Ents through out the lands?

Discuss Tolkien's masterpieces within the walls of this forum.

Ents through out the lands?

Postby elvenlegened » Thu Dec 22, 2005 1:54 pm

were the ents ever anywere els other than the fangorn lorien area?
elvenlegened
Shield Bearer

Postby The Nameless Thing » Thu Dec 22, 2005 4:19 pm

In the Shadow of the Past, Sam recounts a story about wlking trees his cousin Hal had seen on the north moors.
The Nameless Thing
Ranger of the North

Postby BrianIsSmilingAtYou » Thu Dec 22, 2005 8:49 pm

Yes. I assume you have read the The Two Towers; there is a fair amount of info on this in there.

There is a song that Treebeard sings The Two Towers in which he names a lot of places where he traveled. I have bolded the major place names.

In the willow-meads of Tasarinan I walked in the Spring.
Ah! the sight and the smell of the Spring in Nantasarion!
And I said that was good.

I wandered in Summer in the elm-woods of Ossiriand.
Ah! the light and the music in the Summer by the
Seven Rivers of Ossir!
And I thought that was best.

To the beeches of Neldoreth I came in the Autumn.
Ah! the gold and the red and the sighing of leaves in the
Autumn in Taur-na-neldor!
It was more than my desire.

To the pine-trees upon the highland of Dorthonion I climbed in the Winter.
Ah! the wind and the whiteness and the black branches
of Winter upon Orod-na-Thön!
My voice went up and sang in the sky.

And now all those lands lie under the wave,
And I walk in Ambarona, in Tauremorna, in Aldalómë,
In my own land, in the country of Fangorn,
Where the roots are long,
And the years lie thicker than the leaves
In Tauremornalómeë.

If you have The Silmarillion, you can look up most of these places on the map of Beleriand.

Ents even appear in the Silmarillion tale, attacking the dwarves who are fleeing East from the Sack of Doriath.

In addition, I believe they used to wander the woods between Fangorn and the Old Forest, which were once connected.

They went east across Anduin to the Brown Lands in search of the Ent wives.

The following site has a decent summary of Treebeard info.

Treebeard

And Wikipedia, as usual, is informative:

Ents

BrianIs :) AtYou
BrianIsSmilingAtYou
Shield Bearer

Postby wilko185 » Tue Dec 27, 2005 3:39 pm

As already intimated, where there were forests, there were ents. And there were once forests *everywhere*.

Treebeard wrote:"there was all one wood once upon a time: from here to the Mountains of Lune, and this was just the East End.

Those were the broad days! Time was when I could walk and sing all day and hear no more than the echo of my own voice in the hollow hills."
wilko185
Mariner

Postby Tarondor » Tue Dec 27, 2005 9:06 pm

Its incredible to think that all of Middle-Earth used to be forest at one point, and that ents would travel freely amongst all the woods.
Tarondor
Shield Bearer

Postby niamh » Wed Dec 28, 2005 8:42 am

Tarondor wrote:Its incredible to think that all of Middle-Earth used to be forest at one point, and that ents would travel freely amongst all the woods.

Do you know that at one point all of Europe was covered in forests, and that a squirrel could travel all through France (~1000 miles) without setting foot on the ground?
Seems Tolkien knew that much :)
niamh
Ranger of the North

Postby IamMoose » Mon Jan 23, 2006 12:05 pm

I always presumed that what Sam's cousin saw was probably an Ent Wife and it's a shame that Sam and Treebeard never got to speak together!
IamMoose
Mariner

Postby ElanorTheHobbit » Mon Jan 23, 2006 2:10 pm

I have always thought the same thing, and hoped there was a happy ending ahead for the ents...but we aren't ever told more about it. wonder if there's fanfic about that?
ElanorTheHobbit
Ranger of the North

Postby Gwindor » Thu Feb 16, 2006 7:44 pm

I have always believed that there must be Ents in the Old Forest, but I don't think they're Entwives. I think the Entwives went East and out of memory. :(
Gwindor
Ranger of the North

Postby elvenlegened » Sat Feb 18, 2006 3:47 pm

Gwindor wrote:I have always believed that there must be Ents in the Old Forest, but I don't think they're Entwives. I think the Entwives went East and out of memory. :(
me to :(
elvenlegened
Shield Bearer

Postby Taramire » Sun Feb 19, 2006 7:48 pm

I've always believed or maybe it was hope that it was an entwife that was seen in the Old Forest. I also believe that there really isn't a happy ending for the Ents and that they'll just stop living, in a way, and become trees. Their version of "fading away". It makes me sad :( .
Taramire
Shield Bearer

Postby Meynatha » Thu Mar 02, 2006 4:33 pm

Being a hopeless romantic I always hoped that it was an entwife that Hal saw in the Northfarthing, and that one day the ents would find the entwives and live happily ever after. Awww! makes you sick doesnt it! In fact there was something in the Shire for each of them, the Ents could have had the Old Forest and the Woody End, and the Entwives could have had the rest. Don't forget that when Merry and Pippin describe The Shire to Treebeard hes very intrested, and if memory serves, says that the entwives would have liked The Shire. Maybe it was because the Entwives had made it how they wanted it. If the Entwives did pull the strings in the Shire, it would have ment both the ents and the entwives would have suffered at the hand of Saruman, which ties up another few loose ends.

The way that Treebeard is reminded of the entings when he talks to Merry and Pippin also suggests another link. If you were to say that the land made the people, and not the people the land, then Id think that if the Entwives did make the Shire then some of the ent's character would have rubbed off on them. The hobbits certainly hit it off famously with the Ents, so why not?

I think the prof certainly put the things about the ents and the shire in on purpose to make people think that there was a happy ending out there for the ents. He wrote and re-wrote LOTR too many times for it to be a coincidence me thinks. An walking tree being seen on the north borders and the Fangorn's belief that the Entwives would have liked the Shire certainly suggests that this was the case.

Does it say anywhere whether Merry and Pippin returned to Fangorn? I know it says that they returned to see Eomer and Aragorn, but it would have been a happy reunion if the Ents had met up with the two hobbits again. I told you I was a romantic!!!!! :) :) :) :)
Meynatha
Petitioner to the Council

Return to The Books (Tolkien)