The Elijah Wood Admiration Society

What do you think of Tolkien on the silver screen...? Whether Bakshi, Jackson, Amazon, BBC radio play, or whoever else, come on in and discuss your reflections, opinions, and memories...

The Elijah Wood Admiration Society

Postby Maewyn » Thu Jan 12, 2006 7:29 am

Welcome everyone!

It's been six months since we've started a new thread. We're not posting as often, but we're still here! It's a sign of the times, as people go in different directions, other fandoms, or lose interest altogether. I know I haven't been posting as often as I had in the past, but I'm not quite ready to foresake EW just yet!

The thread title covers Elijah's known (Bobby), possible/probable? (Iggy) movies, and the one being released this year (Happy Feet).

I'd like to say hello to our two new friends, Hero's Song and Em. Here's a group hug! :grouphug:

Hero's Song, I'm another "older" person, who was originally unsure whether to post in the "Frodo Swoon Thread" as it was referred to at the time, almost two years ago. I have two sons, one is older, and the other is younger than Elijah! I was quickly welcomed by other lovely ladies of similar a age (as well as younger posters).

Em, here's a SW :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: N for you!

Gee, that felt good!

Maewyn :)

PS Here's a link to the last post on The "Waiting For Jonathan" ELIJAH WOOD Appreciation Thread.
Last edited by Maewyn on Sat Jan 20, 2007 10:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Maewyn
Rider of the Mark

Postby Hero's Song » Thu Jan 12, 2006 9:46 pm

Thanks for the welcome everyone :)

Not much to add right now. I hope you gals have been enjoying my sig pic. I usually change them much more often, but I just haven't gotten tired of this one yet. :P :love:
Hero's Song
Ranger of the North

Postby Em » Fri Jan 13, 2006 1:21 am

G'day,
I haven't seen Elijah in anything lately, well I watched tRotK but it's not new. I need new material to swoon over!
Em
Em
Petitioner to the Council

Postby mechtild » Sat Jan 14, 2006 6:58 pm

Hi! I thought no one had posted for the last several weeks. On a whim, I decided to take a peek. I guess I simply haven't been getting any "notifications of reply." (This happened last year for a while, too.)

So!

I want first of all to say hello to the new thread (hi, Em and hi, Hero's Song). Thanks, Maewyn, for starting it! :hug:

Also, I want to link a translation of an interview with EW following the format of the "Seven Deadly Sins." It looks like it appeared in a Dutch publication. Here is a link to the LJ which, usually "friends only" it seems, is hosting the translation. Note that the translator asks that no one copy and paste the translation, but only link it. (I got the lead from Lady Wendy, whom I expected to have posted here by now.)

This is from the LJ of cristiel:

http://www.livejournal.com/users/cristi ... tml#cutid2

Ereshkigal, another article? I must read it!

~ Mechtild
mechtild
Ranger of the North

Postby mechtild » Sun Jan 15, 2006 2:19 pm

Ereshkigal, I just wanted to tell you I just read and commented on your essay in The Reading Room. It was just what I needed today. Thanks so much for being the bearer of stirring news. :hug:

Just in case anyone else missed it, Eresh linked it in the now closed thread....

I Owe It All To Christopher Lee, by Ereshkigal:

http://www.theonering.com/docs/19512.html

~ Mechtild
mechtild
Ranger of the North

Postby Texas-hobbit » Mon Jan 16, 2006 9:08 pm

Well, now, a nice, shiny new thread! :) I join Maewyn in welcoming Hero's Song and Em. :happydance:

HS, a long time ago, didn't you post your story of meeting Elijah in person? Or am I confusing you with someone else? I would see your sig pics from time to time and wondered why you hadn't joined us here on a regular basis. Good to see you here! :)

Hmm, Middle Aged Crazy Guild? Let's see:

Middle aged? Check.
Crazy? Check.

Sounds like the place for me, all right! :D Actually, I'm doing minimal posting until I get my dead computer back (I'm using someone else's computer right now). It's supposed to be back sometime this week, so I just might take a peek, since you've extended such a kind invitation. :)

Em, if you want something to swoon over until you get a new Lijah movie, you need to check out Mech's Art Travesties. Since I don't have access to my favorites right now, I can't provide you a link. But she has done some photo manips which put the classic loveliness of our dear Frodo's face into various works of art. The results are definately worth checking out. :)
Texas-hobbit
Ranger of the North

Postby Ereshkigal » Wed Jan 18, 2006 12:20 pm

Texas-hobbit wrote:Hmm, Middle Aged CrazyEm, if you want something to swoon over until you get a new Lijah movie, you need to check out Mech's Art Travesties. Since I don't have access to my favorites right now, I can't provide you a link. But she has done some photo manips which put the classic loveliness of our dear Frodo's face into various works of art. The results are definately worth checking out. :)

Oh, I definitely agree with Tex here, EM--and welcome aboard, BTW.

Hi Tex--hope your computer does a Lazarus.

Anyone catch the Golden Globes? I did, but I didn't see many of the movies (Brokeback Mountain hasn't made it here, yet, and neither has Match Point or Capote) and the ones I have seen, while I thought they were good (especially Walk the Line, The Constant Gardner, Cinderella Man and Crash), didn't create the strange loyalty I used to feel while pulling for that little Jackson film trilogy. :roll:

What was that called again?

I do wish the movie industry would make a greater effort to place independent movies in these giant multiplexes, especially since TOL seems destined for those types (and with my blessing, overall, since they are usually more interesting than the standard Hollywood fare).

TTFN

Eresh
Ereshkigal
Rider of the Mark

Postby mechtild » Wed Jan 18, 2006 2:12 pm

Hi, there, Ereshkigal! *smooch*

Before I forget....

Here's a link to an extremely favourable review of "Everything is Illuminated". BunnieBugs pointed out over in The Faculty. EII wasn't any great shakes to me, but for those who haven't seen it, or who saw it and liked it, this review will be a real pleasure to read. The reviewer is extremely complimentary about EW's work in it as Jonathan, too.

Pam Grady's review of EII in "Reel News":

http://www.reel.com/movie.asp?MID=14109 ... ID=13#tabs

Tex, aren't you nice to gush over the "Frodo Art Travesties"! :) Did you notice I did a new one based on Guido Reni's 17th century painting "Joseph and Potiphar's Wife" (yes, I manipped Frodo in as Joseph)? Let me know if you don't have a link anymore. I don't know which you last saw, so I'm going to give you a link to that entry, which also features a link to the whole album:

http://www.livejournal.com/users/mechtild/17741.html

Remember that if you click the "Frodo art travesties" tab at the top, it will give you the headings for all the ones I've featured on my LJ (only the newest half-dozen or so).

Oh, I've done a lot of new screencap series, too. Here's a link to that list of headings, too. You can just scroll down. I always show one from the series for each entry, as an easy reference.

http://www.livejournal.com/users/mechti ... screencaps

Ereshkigal, I have to say I enjoyed the Golden Globes wins (didn't watch, though), since I really did love Brokeback Mountain. I am looking forward to seeing Munich this weekend. Match Point is not yet showing here, either, but I am eager to go. I am no fan of his personal life but some of my favourite films have been directed by Woody Allen. I have seen Cinderella Man, which had a good story and super performances and was seemingly faultless, yet I did not "love" it. I don't know why. My husband and daughter saw Syriana; it sounds extremely good, but not a movie to love, either. The Constant Gardener is no longer playing here so I will have to rent it. I doubt Capote will play here at all, but I want to see it. Crash I don't even know about *sheepish face.*

So far, except for Brokeback Mountain, the film I actually most enjoyed since RotK has been Goblet of Fire. This surprises me, since it is not a great film (although a quite good one). Moreover, I am not even particularly a fan of Harry Potter! Yet I am sure it will become one of my staples.

Maewyn, again, I am SO thrilled to know your tests went well. Hooray! :drink:

~ Mechtild
mechtild
Ranger of the North

Postby Maewyn » Thu Jan 19, 2006 7:16 am

I thought I'd drop in this little Elijah pic-spam from _kindling's journal. There are a few pics in there that I haven't seen before (No. 16 in particular :shock: =:), along with some familiar beauties!

Maewyn, again, I am SO thrilled to know your tests went well. Hooray! :drink:

Thank you Mechtild! It was a big relief! I'm feeling rather :clap: :happydance: :clap: :happydance: :clap: at the moment!

Maewyn
Rider of the Mark

Postby mechtild » Thu Jan 19, 2006 8:28 am

Wow, Maewyn, thanks! I'd seen all of those (the bottom one is still my fave *swoon*), but it was great to see them all in a row.

That large image in which he is leaning over a very strange looking machine with a red light in it is one I have never seen, though. I LOVED it and saved it at once. I love and adore the way his face looks in that. It could have been a Frodo shot. (My highest praise, as you know.)

Glad to hear you still are feeling good! :)

~ Mechtild
mechtild
Ranger of the North

Postby Ereshkigal » Thu Jan 19, 2006 5:05 pm

WHOOOOOOHOOOOOOOO

I just finished my novel! I just finished my novel! I just finished my novel! And I'm so happy I could explode!!!!!!!

Well, the rough draft anyway. But I absolutely adore revision.

And a friend of mine knows a publisher who just may be interested.

TEEHHEEEEE!

I'll post more coherently later, but now I'm off to pop the champagne I've been saving!
Ereshkigal
Rider of the Mark

Postby mechtild » Thu Jan 19, 2006 5:26 pm

Ereshkigal:

WOW!!!!!!

Look, I'm getting all teary from the thrill of it. *sniffle* :cry2: :P

Done with the first draft of your novel! Oh, heavenly glory!!

Champagne, foaming beer kegs, let's have the works!
:grouphug: :drink: :clap:

~ Mechtild
mechtild
Ranger of the North

Postby MithLuin » Fri Jan 20, 2006 11:01 pm

Oh, wow, that is so exciting!

I was just coming in here to post a lovely Frodo (alas, not 'Lij) painting that I'm sure you've seen before:

The Stairs of Cirith Ungol

And to find that good news waiting...wow! That is beyond cool! Congratulations! Editing can be fun, because at least you have something to work with. You can revise endlessly, but the real effort goes into creating.

So....a HUGE CONGRATS to you for getting past that hurdle.

Of course, when you get published, you will have to tell all of us where to buy a copy. :D
MithLuin
Mariner

Postby Bree379 » Sat Jan 21, 2006 10:38 am

Well, I just had a crazy urge to see what was going on in Frodoland, and I'm so glad I popped over to hear the good news!

Congrats Ereshkigal!

That's really amazing! And not only did you finish it, but you may have an interested publisher? Boy, it must be something great! And I'll echo MithLuin, whenever it's on the shelves, I want to know where I can get my hands on one.

That Stairs of Cirith Ungol painting is absolutely beautiful, Mithluin. I don't think I've ever seen work by this artist; of course, I'm not sure who it's by, but sometimes I can recognize style-but not here! Do you know who the artist is?

I know they must have come a while ago, but I still want to welcome Em and Hero's Song. Hi! We used to be more active here, and though it's slowed down a little, we'll always welcome fellow swooners with open arms.

I'm not sure if you all have seen it, but there was a photo that I saw a while ago of Elijah Wood and Lindsey Lohan in "Bobby."

Let's see if this link works to the picture

If you've all seen it already, just ignore me! But if not, well, enjoy!
[/url]
Bree379
Ranger of the North

Postby MithLuin » Sat Jan 21, 2006 12:08 pm

Oh, my apologies! Silly me, forgetting to credit it...

The artist is Anke Eissmann. She does beautiful work, and has illustrated many scenes from the Silmarillion and The Lord of the Rings (maybe one or two from the Hobbit, too?).

Her website is at Edoras. She posts on TORc as Khorazir.

The Land of Shadow is similar to the other painting I linked, but I like the first one better.
Last edited by MithLuin on Sat Jan 21, 2006 10:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MithLuin
Mariner

Postby nienor*lalaith » Sat Jan 21, 2006 5:58 pm

Just dropping in quickly in the new thread...no, I haven't forgotten you all!! I know some of you have been aound here longer than I have, but I consider my TORC-anniversary to be when I started lurking here, which was well over 3 years now. Seems like a lifetime ago for me. There may be less posts and not alot of news to go around, but we're all still here.

I am still hoping EII will get at least a week's release here. I saw the poster at my theater but I don't know...well, if they released GS Hooligans, they'll get this. Eventually. Last movie I saw was a History of Violence...Viggo was so great in it. I liked it. It's fun to see the LotR graduates in their different projects. I saw the Golden Globes and noticed that Peter, Viggo and Dominic were all there...small world? :P

Waves to MithLuin, Bree, mech, Maewyn, Tex, welcome to Em and HS, and a far away hello to Wilma, laureanna, Ruby......and others who used to visit more often. And finally a big CONGRATS to Eresh for finishing the novel we will all rush out to buy. :wink:

~n*l
nienor*lalaith
Shield Bearer

Postby Hero's Song » Sun Jan 22, 2006 9:16 pm

Hello all. Sorry I haven't checked in here for awhile. It's been busy here.

Texas Hobbit said;
HS, a long time ago, didn't you post your story of meeting Elijah in person?

Alas, that wasn't me. I DO know two former MACers who have met him in person: Despoina from Wales and Honeyelf from California. They both e-mailed the pics to us.

You'd be most welcome in the MAC guild. Just jump on in and join us. :)

I haven't seen several of EW's newer flicks (because I've sworn off R-rated movies, basically) but I love catching some he was in as a child. I've yet to see "Radio Flyer," but I want to. As an actor he was phenominal in "The War" and "The Good Son." My favorite, though, has to be "Huck Finn" because he looks SO much like a little Frodo :love: I bought it on DVD for myself as a birthday present last summer and it is precioussss. :D

My favorite parts are when he's dressed up as a girl and talking in falsetto and then when he has to do the cockney accent when he's forced to play along with the swindlers. My favorite line has to be when someone says something like, "What a great big liar you are." and he says (British accent and all) "Why thank you, sir. I'll take that as a compliment." =:)
Hero's Song
Ranger of the North

Postby Lembas_Junkie » Mon Jan 23, 2006 2:34 pm

Good heavens, it took me this long to see the new Frodo/EW thread?! :shock:

I was over at the A&F site for the first time in a while, and I see that lots of ORC reports are flooding in; I forgot about that, I'll bet it was a hoot! :D I have not updated my LJ, or checked out my favorites threads in various boards in a while. This weekend I was up to the visit some of my pals from the university I attended before transfering to my present location. It was really good to see them again! :heart:

I was out and about the other day, and stopped into Aldo to check out the sale they were having, and there was that poster with EW and the tape ( =:) ). So as I was paying, I commented: "Mmmm, that's Elijah Wood. Hubba!" and the girls (and one guy) immediately began to aggree. But of course! :D And then after the initial "Mmm-hmm, he's a cutie!", one of them said "But he was the exact opposite in Sin City!". I watched as they all agreed. I thought to myself: "Well, if that was what EW was looking for in the general, non-EW-fan public opinion, he's got it! ;)

This month I have the lovely EW that Scarlet made as my laptop desktop, the blue one with the shadows...

HUBBA! :love:

Edit: Well, it's also election day here in Canada. When I wake up tomorrow, there will be a new Prime Minister. I'm leaving to vote in 45 minutes...Ciao!

:grouphug:
Lembas_Junkie
Ranger of the North

Postby Scarlet » Tue Jan 24, 2006 12:50 am

Cheers, Lembas. :thumbsup: Is thisthe pic you mean? No, that's not blue ... oh, I did make a small blue version for my sig: is that it?

Eresh, I just had to pipe up to say congratulations!!! What an immense achievement! :drink:
Scarlet
Ranger of the North

Postby Lembas_Junkie » Tue Jan 24, 2006 10:04 am

That's the one, Scarlet! :love:

Thank you so much for the lovely pic, I adore it! :hug: I thought that the one you linked is the blue one; is there another, even more blue one out there somewhere? Hmmm?

And, to go off-topic for a tad...in case anyone's interested, the Conservatives won:

:cavetroll: :eye:

'kay I'm done being off-topic now. ;)

:whistle:
Lembas_Junkie
Ranger of the North

Postby Scarlet » Tue Jan 24, 2006 9:04 pm

I did make a bluer version of that pic, but only a little one for my sig. So.... I've just made the wallpaper even bigger :shock: , and given it a soft blue wash. Hope you like, 'cos this is for you, Lembas! :hug:
Scarlet
Ranger of the North

Postby Ereshkigal » Wed Jan 25, 2006 7:56 pm

Well, I've finally sobered up enough from popping the cork to come in and have a chat.

Naah. Who am I kidding? You all know I'm just a mom, and my big moment consisted of one drink, calling my sister, and posting on the boards. Sigh. That wild woman of yesteryear is probably gone for good. Can't say I really miss her, actually.

Thanks for the cheer, everyone. It's nice that I always have a nice base of friends at my fingertips. If I ever finish the novel and get it published I'll be sure to pass the title of it along to you (though I promise I won't spam on the boards). You guys just have to promise that if you meet me you'll let me know who you are (both posting name and real name). That's a lot of ifs, I know, but why not dream?

What I've actually been doing is catching up some other projects for a while before I turn my attention to rewriting. I'm both dreading and looking forward to reading my novel in one piece, though. I might need a nice little martini for that one.

I do need a rewritten first chapter fairly soon, though, so I won't take a very long break.

I've been looking through the Torn stuff on ORC. Interesting hair, that. It is the sort of style that will help me with my rewrites, especially with my Elijah inspired character. I might have to right-click-save a few images.

Anyone on our boards make it to ORC?
Ereshkigal
Rider of the Mark

Postby MithLuin » Fri Jan 27, 2006 1:34 pm

Apparently motorwife went, according to a thread in Events. I have not been, and I don't know who else might have gone.

Good luck with your rewrite!
MithLuin
Mariner

Postby Maewyn » Sat Jan 28, 2006 9:29 pm

Happy (belated) Birthday to Elijah! :drink: (I'm sure there'll be a lot of that going on, too!)

Also, my (again, very belated) congratulations to Ereshkigal on the completion of her novel! :clap: I'm sure you're feeling very relieved to have reached that landmark. How long do you think it will take to complete your revision? Whenever I've written (very) short stories, it's taken me forever to get them the way I want them to. I'd never be able to cope with an entire novel! Good luck with the publisher - I hope it works out for you. :hug:

Maewyn
Rider of the Mark

Postby mechtild » Mon Jan 30, 2006 3:21 pm

Ereshikigal, once again, WOO HOO! :thumbsup: (Before you hunker down for the re-write, not to mention all your other tasks and duties.)

Scarlet, I hadn't seen your blue version of that EW pic before. *sigh* I saved it, pronto.

MithLuin, thanks for the link to Eissmann's site. I have seen some of her illustrations used as TORc sig pics, so I recognized the style. I went to her site and was impressed. I saw pics there I had not seen before -- many, many, many of them. I saved many, too. I think I like her Alan Lee-ish compositions the best - the ones in which the characters are rather small in relation to the scene and their faces only suggested. They have lovely style, great mood, but allow me to "fill in" the faces myself.

Neinor
! Lembas! Maewyn! Hero's Song! Bree! Hi, Tex, if you are lurking! Greetings and hearty waves to you all. :clap:

Hero's Song, there was a Despoina on this thread when I first peeked into it. She had met Elijah Wood, then, and that was already a few years ago. I hadn't guessed she was from Wales, if it is the same person. She had stopped posting by the time I started posting here.

~ Mechtild
mechtild
Ranger of the North

Postby mechtild » Mon Jan 30, 2006 5:32 pm

Hi, it's me again. :)

Just in case any of you are fans of images of Elijah Wood as he appeared in the 1995 rock video of a song by the Cranberries, called "Ridiculous Thoughts," I made an extensive screencap series of it. I just posted the 74 caps in four entries on my LJ.

Here are links to them:

Part I (with introductory post -- scroll down to see the caps):

http://mechtild.livejournal.com/19627.html?nc=2

Part II:

http://mechtild.livejournal.com/19762.html#cutid1

Part III:

http://mechtild.livejournal.com/20055.html#cutid1

Part IV:

http://mechtild.livejournal.com/20358.html#cutid1

~ Mechtild
mechtild
Ranger of the North

Postby MithLuin » Mon Jan 30, 2006 7:13 pm

I know that song! :shock:

I had friends in high school who liked the Cranberries, and I think I have the mp3 somewhere. But I never saw the video, and had no idea EW was in it!

So, thank you, Mechtild!

Hero's Song, if you liked him as Huck Finn, you should see him as The Artful Dodger in Oliver Twist - good stuff! I watched that movie after I had heard he was cast as Frodo, and it sold me on the possibility. Certainly no complaints from me on that casting decision ;).
MithLuin
Mariner

Postby Hero's Song » Tue Jan 31, 2006 9:26 pm

I can't believe I let EW's 25th birthday go by without celebrating!! :oops:

Happy belated quarter of a century, you talented, gorgeous human being! :heart:

Mechtild - Thanks SO much for those pics - they were awesome!

MithLuin - I have seen him in "Oliver Twist" but it's been awhile. I will definitely have to rent that again. I am very partial to British accents - especially when uttered by a certain someone. :) I own "The War" and "Huck Finn" and hope to rent "Avalon" and "Radio Flyer" in the future. I will probably buy "Forever Young" someday. I loved it at first because I was a big Mel Gibson fan (I still like him, but he's getting old for me :P ) but now I love it for seeing him interact with EW.

Our favorite hobbit sure has had the opportunity to work with great actors over his career!

Hero
Hero's Song
Ranger of the North

Postby mechtild » Tue Jan 31, 2006 10:27 pm

Hi, MithLuin and Hero's Song. Thanks for the comments. :D

another note on the "Ridiculous Thoughts" rock video DVD. Another fan sent me an email to ask whether I knew the DVD had an "alternative take" of the song on the extras. No, I did NOT!

I watched it and I think it is much better than the "real" one, besides that it has a lot of supplemental EW footage (much of it is the same, but edited in differently here and there).

I plan to post a few more sets of screencaps tomorrow, to display supplemental frames. :)

I noticed that it has had its price reduced at Amazon. Here's a link to the video ("STARS") for sale:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00007 ... 2339?n=130

~ Mechtild
mechtild
Ranger of the North

Postby Hero's Song » Sat Feb 11, 2006 8:54 pm

It's about time this thread got bumped to the top, don't you think? :) I don't have a link, but I would recommend any EW swooners go over to the "Always and Forever" site and click on the articles that someone won on e-bay and scanned. They are from "Bop" magazine and are photos and interviews with him when he was about 12-13.

The then 13-year-old had just finished working with director Rob Reiner on "North" and the director was full of praise for him. Here's a quote:
He's like a prodigy in a way. You know, I've worked with a lot of other young actors and it's difficult to get a good performance at times. You have to be very careful and help them along and spoon-feed them. But with Elijah, that's not the case. I mean, he really comes to the part full-blown. You give him a little tiny adjustment in a scene, and he takes it as if he's been acting 30 or 40 years. Wow!

Thought you guys might like that one. :D

I got a couple new photos for future sig pics, so be on the lookout. :)
Hero's Song
Ranger of the North

Next

Return to Movies and Media: Tolkien