Critics Burn "The Wicker Man".

Come here and discuss your favorite Non-Tolkien movies, TV shows, radio plays, etc.

Critics Burn "The Wicker Man".

Postby dudalb » Wed Sep 06, 2006 7:36 pm

The remake of the 70's cult classic "The Wicker Man" seems to be the biggest fiasco yet this year...and this year has been a banner year for film fiascos. "The Wicker Man" (the 2006 version NOT the original) has become the most ridiculed and derided film since "CatWoman".
It is the kind of film that brings out the best in critics..and here are a few samples, from www.rottentomatoes.com.

"When he was reading the script, and saw the part of the movie where he is supposed to run through the forest in a bear suit, I hope Cage asked for a huge pay raise. If he didn’t, I have lost all respect for him because this movie is a silly piece of junk you should only participate in for a huge sum of money that makes up for the assault on your integrity '
Wafflemovies.com

"Cage over the years has more than earned a reputation as an actor who is not afraid to embarrass himself, but in the cause of The Wicker Man, that seems less a commendation than a horrible misjudgment.

Terry Lawson
Detroit Free Press"

"The Wicker Man is misconceived, miscast and, where suspense is concerned, thinner than a Katie Couric publicity photo.

Colin Covert
Minneapolis Star Tribune"

"All the fertility rites in the secluded Pacific Northwest island of Summersisle can't bring life to Neil Labute's barren remake of 1973's The Wicker Man.

Nick Schager
Slant Magazine"

"Watching Cage karate chop Leelee "Made-for-TV" Sobiesky into submission is almost worth the price of admission. Well, assuming admission was free.

Mike Sage
Peterborough This Week"

"LaBute's art-house misogyny + Warner Bros' need for a late-summer horror flick + a niche mood exercise that doesn't exactly scream for the multiplex treatment = one big mess.

Rob Vaux
Flipside Movie Emporium"

"LaBute's meandering and goofy-minded horror/suspense thriller Wicker will garner more spontaneous chuckles than an overactive feather tickling a sensitive underarm"
Frank Ocheing, Worldjournal.com

"The Wicker Man is comically inept as a horror movie, unable to even manage an effective false scare, or sustain suspense for more than a beat or two.

A.O. Scott
New York Times"

" I had no idea The Wicker Man remake was a comedy. You certainly can’t glean that info from the film’s trailer. Unintentionally hysterical and absurdly over-the-top, writer/director Neil LaBute may have had good intentions when he set out to revamp the classic 1973 thriller but we all know where good intentions sometimes lead, and hell is too gentle a destination for this film.'

Rebecca Murray about.com

It has a whopping 8% at rottentomatoes...in other words, Uwe Boll level.
Christopher Lee showed great wisdom when he refused a cameo role in this
and went on record as saying it would be a train wreck. It certainly is.
Sad to see actors like Ellen Bustyn and Nick Cage embarass themsleves.
And Lee Sobieski has gone from a promising career to dreck like this and Uwe Boll's upcoming "Dungeon Siege." Nice going, girl.

And this film aslo seems to confirm that Nick La Bute has some serious,serious, issues with women.
dudalb
Ranger of the North

Postby Nár » Thu Sep 07, 2006 2:29 am

"When he was reading the script, and saw the part of the movie where he is supposed to run through the forest in a bear suit, I hope Cage asked for a huge pay raise. If he didn’t, I have lost all respect for him because this movie is a silly piece of junk you should only participate in for a huge sum of money that makes up for the assault on your integrity

:D

When you remake a classic you risk a lot - either you do a really good job, or you should be prepared to be kicked around by sarcastic critics

And Lee Sobieski has gone from a promising career to dreck like this and Uwe Boll's upcoming "Dungeon Siege

Wait a second, Boll is making *another* film? :puke: I wonder why studios continue to give him money, since his movies are universally ridiculed and, as far as I know, made very little money too. Unless it's a conspiracy to dethrone Ed Wood as the worst director ever.
Nár
Ranger of the North

Postby Mungo » Thu Sep 07, 2006 7:47 am

I saw the preview of this and thought it looked idiotic. A few other friends who were with me disagreed. Ha! I was right.

The last Cage movie I saw was The Weather Man and I thought it stunk as well. What is up with him and these sort of movies?
Mungo
Mariner

Postby Nár » Thu Sep 07, 2006 11:47 am

Cage is a very uneven actor, both in his performances and in the quality of the movies he stars in. At the moment I like him better in "odd" roles and in bizarre, original movies like Adaptation or Matchstick Men. In dramas and thrillers he often comes across as somewhat lethargic.
Nár
Ranger of the North

Postby Arvegil » Tue Sep 12, 2006 8:14 am

The big problem, as I see it, is that they neutered the whole point of the original. The original was about the clash of strongly-held beliefs. That, and Britt Eklund dancing around naked...

Anyway, without the tension of the pagan/christian confrontation, what is left? Nicholas Cage in a bear suit, beating up women. When I write that, it sounds like a "Benny Hill" sketch gone horribly wrong.

In reply to the Uwe Boll inquiry: there are some peculiar German tax laws which turn filmmaking into a no-loss proposition for investors, which makes people willing to buy the Uwe Boll ticket. I have heard his films make a profit on the international market, just because they are so low-budget to begin with. Uwe lacks the passion of Ed Wood, however.
Arvegil
Ranger of the North

Return to Movies and Media: Other