Yet another rejection letter...

Writing is a passion many people experience after reading Tolkien's works. Come here to discuss and share your experiences with writing.

Postby Jiyadan » Sat May 26, 2007 8:39 am

prmiller wrote:Imagine...the TORC label!
I mean, if "that other website" can make a movie, maybe we can make a book
company. Now there's a thought!
Hmmm.

Woah! Parm! TORC's photo area, TORC's reading room, and now TORC's bookstore! That ... would.... rock.
Jiyadan
Ranger of the North

Postby Bardhwyn » Sat May 26, 2007 8:46 am

A publishing company to make the books and a store to sell them in...

Yes... the gears are really whirring....

Edit to add:

Interesting to note that we've completely infused this thread with hope and creativity -

I take that as a positive sigh, ETS -

DON'T GIVE UP!!

:D
Bardhwyn
Mariner

Postby Edmund the Scholar » Mon May 28, 2007 9:55 am

Bardhwyn wrote:A publishing company to make the books and a store to sell them in...

Yes... the gears are really whirring....

Edit to add:

Interesting to note that we've completely infused this thread with hope and creativity -

I take that as a positive sigh, ETS -

DON'T GIVE UP!!

Oh, I may eventually give up trying to publish my fiction, but I'll probably never give up writing. It is kind of like working out... If I don't do it, I feel badly.

What do you do in the publishing world Bardhwyn? And don't worry, I won't pitch anything to you :wink:
Edmund the Scholar
Ranger of the North

Postby Bardhwyn » Mon May 28, 2007 3:11 pm

LOL! Just as well you don't - strictly non-fiction, eastern religion. Can you say NICHE??

And I more or less sketched out what I do in your 'who wants to get published thread', so I won't blow my horn again. ;)

Ever think about trying your hand at some Role Play, ETS?

I once described it as 'a dynamic hybrid of improvisational drama and prose'.

You may like it - *big cheesy grin*

It places a different set of demands on a writer but it makes you WRITE and write fiction and write fiction when 'time is of the essence' so I think it succeeds in not allowing oneself to get in one's way, if you follow my drift.

You just gotta get in there and write.

Go to the Pony Forum and read the 'Festival of the Green' thread - that will give you some insight into the breadth that is possible. :D

Cheers!
Bardhwyn
Mariner

Postby Edmund the Scholar » Mon May 28, 2007 5:27 pm

Bardhwyn wrote:LOL! Just as well you don't - strictly non-fiction, eastern religion. Can you say NICHE??

And I more or less sketched out what I do in your 'who wants to get published thread', so I won't blow my horn again. ;)

Ever think about trying your hand at some Role Play, ETS?

It seems that non-fiction is very big right now. I am getting tired of writing my special education books. But, each time I say that, I end up writing another.

As for role playing... you know, a good friend of mine and I play a role playing game via e-mail, but it isn't like what you all do here. We play like the old ICE games... where I describe a situation and he has a character who decides what he wants to do. THen I tell him what happens... and so forth.

There were a bunch of us who used to role play in person back in high school, but... unfortunately, we all went our separate ways.

I think I will drop in and read what you masters are cooking up. But for now, I am teaching a great deal this summer. Plus, I want to polish my novel and start a second. So time is rather precious. I am hoping this Fall will be better. Perhaps then I will be able to dabble a bit more.
Edmund the Scholar
Ranger of the North

Postby Bardhwyn » Tue May 29, 2007 2:38 am

Come on over and read. :)

Always nice to learn there are people reading.

Precious time, yes - I know that one. * sigh *
Bardhwyn
Mariner

Postby Edmund the Scholar » Tue May 29, 2007 9:11 am

Bardhwyn wrote:Come on over and read. :)

Always nice to learn there are people reading.

Precious time, yes - I know that one. * sigh *

I'll be there dear Bardhwyn.

I often wonder how Tolkien found time to write and do all of his other tasks (including being a professor and raising a fairly large family)! Granted, being a professor isn't that tough (especially after you get tenure... and I can say that being a professor :wink: ) But life certainly consumes time!
Edmund the Scholar
Ranger of the North

Postby Bardhwyn » Tue May 29, 2007 10:23 am

I read Humphrey Carter's biography of the Professor - I recall the man would stay up until 2 or 3 am writing, then get up, attend a 6 am mass at his Catholic church and then go to on to his University duties after that...

Proof that the man was extraordinary in his ordinariness.

I have said this before to my friends:

I am very grateful for Tolkien's life work - for the writings he created -for the world he created - but I am even more grateful to his wife. She's the one that kept it all together in the background, so he could pursue his passion.

Thank you, Mrs. T!
Bardhwyn
Mariner

Postby Edmund the Scholar » Tue May 29, 2007 10:32 am

Bardhwyn wrote:I read Humphrey Carter's biography of the Professor -

Did you like Carter's bio? I thought that it was a bit dry. But it has been a while since I picked it up.

Yes, Mrs. T certainly deserves a great deal of credit!!!
Edmund the Scholar
Ranger of the North

Postby Bardhwyn » Tue May 29, 2007 10:50 am

Edmund the Scholar wrote:Did you like Carter's bio? I thought that it was a bit dry. But it has been a while since I picked it up.

My first reaction was: "Of course it was dry, it is written by an Englishman about an Englishman."

:P I then balked, wondering if I've remembered correctly. I can't find any info on the biographer but I do think he was British.

Yes, I did like it - that's the long and short it. :D I rarely read contemporary biography but when I do, I remember them.
Bardhwyn
Mariner

Postby Edmund the Scholar » Tue May 29, 2007 10:56 am

I love bios. I just finished one on Einstein that was really good. Now I am reading something on Bobby Kennedy... which is very good thus far.

I am surprised that there aren't more bios on Tolkien. I know of only the one by Carpenter. Usually, there is at least one "seedy" bio on every famous person!

I half expect to find a crappy book describing how Tolkien would chase his wife around the house, wearing nothing but her fuzzy bathroom slippers, and yelling, "I am a hobbit!!! I am a hobbit!!"

Fortunately, nobody has done a hatchet job on the Professor.
Edmund the Scholar
Ranger of the North

Postby Bardhwyn » Tue May 29, 2007 10:59 am

Edmund the Scholar wrote:I half expect to find a crappy book describing how Tolkien would chase his wife around the house, wearing nothing but her fuzzy bathroom slippers, and yelling, "I am a hobbit!!! I am a hobbit!!"

* sigh *

I have GOT to get you hooked on RPing...

*starts to plot* :evil:
Bardhwyn
Mariner

Postby Edmund the Scholar » Tue May 29, 2007 11:16 am

Bardhwyn wrote:
Edmund the Scholar wrote:I half expect to find a crappy book describing how Tolkien would chase his wife around the house, wearing nothing but her fuzzy bathroom slippers, and yelling, "I am a hobbit!!! I am a hobbit!!"

* sigh *

I have GOT to get you hooked on RPing...

*starts to plot* :evil:

You are lucky I didn't have him eatting a bunch of beans and saying something about a "crack of doom!"

Once we get back from Vietnam, I should have more time. Perhaps we could role play then!
Edmund the Scholar
Ranger of the North

Postby Bardhwyn » Tue May 29, 2007 11:43 am

:D Hehehee... sounds like a plan.

Have fun in Vietnam.
Bardhwyn
Mariner

Postby Edmund the Scholar » Tue May 29, 2007 12:00 pm

Bardhwyn wrote::D Hehehee... sounds like a plan.

Have fun in Vietnam.

Ugh! It is going to be a long trip!!! I just hope our new son gets along with our "old" son. The flight home is going to be a pain with two kids under five in tow!!!
Edmund the Scholar
Ranger of the North

Postby Bardhwyn » Tue May 29, 2007 12:06 pm

Oh man, no offense, kids are wonderful but that is the sort of scenario that, when I see it prior to boarding a plane, I silently pray to the assigned seating gods for a row number far, far away.

Soooo, any word from the agent in the Big Apple??

Edit to Add: And if appropriate I FULLY expect to see a thread of a considerably different title pop up! ;)

Edit Edit to Add:
Seriously, have a safe trip and I hope your two boys have lots of fun play-stuff to keep them occupies. :)
Bardhwyn
Mariner

Postby Edmund the Scholar » Tue Jun 05, 2007 6:33 am

Well, I have some good news and some bad news... mostly bad, but I'll try to focus on the good.

The agent who urgently requested to see my novel has indicated that he won't represent it :cry2:

On the upside, he gave me a great deal of positive feedback. :lol:

He said that the story line was "captivating" and "entirely marketable." He also said that the primary characters were "unique, fully developed, and real." He liked the ending and the moral of the story as well as my writing style which "was quick and clever (in parts)." "Your brand of prose will distinguish you between others in the market" is something else he wrote... though this could be a left-handed compliment.

He, however, felt that the manuscript wasn't ready yet and that I needed to "tighten up" my writing in some parts and "full out" (I am guessing he meant "fill out") some of the side plots and characters. He also made a couple suggestions on how to give another dimension to the main character.

So, all in all, I am feeling okay about this. I’ll probably set the novel aside for a year or so while I work on the books that publishers are willing to pay me to write.

I wonder how many “first novels” get published… Was The Hobbit Tolkien’s first attempt at writing a book?
Edmund the Scholar
Ranger of the North

Postby noela » Tue Jun 05, 2007 2:16 pm

Edmund, all is not completely lost then. He gave you some sound advice by the sound of it.
Maybe, the best thing for you would be to set it aside for a year, like you said, then you can start afresh, to reread, then rewrite the areas, that he talked about.
I have a motto, that I claim as mine, which has stood me in good stead for many years.

"never give in, never give up, never say die"

He said that he would not represent you, but that doesn't mean that the book isn't good. He seemed to like it enough to give you those ideas.
noela
Shield Bearer

Postby rwhen » Wed Jun 13, 2007 9:19 am

Hey Edmond,

When do you travel to Viet Nam? Long trip indeed and you and your wife will have your hands full on the return trip, but it will all be so worth it. You are doing a good thing.

I think your reply from the agent/publisher was actually very encouraging. It shows he took the time to read it. I often wondered how many people opened my fathers submission and never even read it, just the standard "no thanks" back. I would listen to the advice too. Not that all if it is correct, but it never hurts to look at your piece with a different eyeball.

And I am with Bardy, as you know. I have tried to encourage you to do an RP with us, me. I think you would be fantastic and gee, have FUN!!.. we are.

Smile, as Scarlet says.."Tomorrow is another day"

:D:D:D
Love is as big or as little as a hug!!

vison! Alex!Rowanberry!OldToby

I will always treasure and remember your appreciation. Thank you. -2007 WCA's
Overwhelmed by your support and appreciation. Thank you. - 2008 WCA's

The Expected Party!! is now on the road to Gondor to celebrate. Join us.

And getting into trouble with Rally The Eldar.

Time out of Mind, forever bound to my Knight Ayslhyn

Vanadarlin', my SSOTH - 143 forever :hug:
rwhen
Gettin' Older!!

Postby Edmund the Scholar » Wed Jun 13, 2007 11:28 am

rwhen wrote:Hey Edmond,

When do you travel to Viet Nam? Long trip indeed and you and your wife will have your hands full on the return trip, but it will all be so worth it. You are doing a good thing.

I think your reply from the agent/publisher was actually very encouraging. It shows he took the time to read it. I often wondered how many people opened my fathers submission and never even read it, just the standard "no thanks" back. I would listen to the advice too. Not that all if it is correct, but it never hurts to look at your piece with a different eyeball.

And I am with Bardy, as you know. I have tried to encourage you to do an RP with us, me. I think you would be fantastic and gee, have FUN!!.. we are.

Smile, as Scarlet says.."Tomorrow is another day"

:D:D:D

Hey Rwhen!

We aren't too sure when we'll go to Vietnam. Our best guess is between the end of December to beginning of February. But that is just a guess.

As for the agent's rejection... yes, it has some positives to it.... and I am trying to keep them uppermost in my mind, but sometime it is difficult. When I have time, I'll revise the manuscript and then try again. Perhaps with a little time and practice, I'll have better insights as to how to cultivate my characters and story.

You know, I think that I will RP at some point. I have been sooo busy lately with school and my son that I don't have time right now. But it seems interesting. I like reading the various threads. So... I definitely will do something soon.
Edmund the Scholar
Ranger of the North

Postby rwhen » Wed Jun 13, 2007 3:00 pm

and voila....

:D Great job friend. I will reply to you there. :D Not too intrusive you see, just a drive by to get you onto your next post. :P

Maybe Bardy can do the same?

:)
Love is as big or as little as a hug!!

vison! Alex!Rowanberry!OldToby

I will always treasure and remember your appreciation. Thank you. -2007 WCA's
Overwhelmed by your support and appreciation. Thank you. - 2008 WCA's

The Expected Party!! is now on the road to Gondor to celebrate. Join us.

And getting into trouble with Rally The Eldar.

Time out of Mind, forever bound to my Knight Ayslhyn

Vanadarlin', my SSOTH - 143 forever :hug:
rwhen
Gettin' Older!!

Postby Galhadrim » Wed Jun 20, 2007 6:57 pm

I would love to have 32+ rejection letters. I've used them to wallpaper my desk area but now I keep them in a file
Galhadrim
Ranger of the North

Postby Edmund the Scholar » Thu Jun 21, 2007 6:38 am

Galhadrim wrote:I would love to have 32+ rejection letters. I've used them to wallpaper my desk area but now I keep them in a file

Wall papering my office with rejection letters... boy, that is like putting up pictures of the hundreds of women who have turned me down over the years! I might as well have a tape recording of my mother telling me how disappointed she is in me playing over and over in the background! :roll: :)

I really admire anybody who can put up with the constant rejection of being a new writer. You have to have an extremely thick skin!
Edmund the Scholar
Ranger of the North

Postby Galhadrim » Thu Jun 21, 2007 6:46 am

It comes from having a background in sales.
Galhadrim
Ranger of the North

Postby Jiyadan » Thu Jun 21, 2007 12:45 pm

Edmund the Scholar wrote:I might as well have a tape recording of my mother telling me how disappointed she is in me playing over and over in the background! :roll: :)

This almost cost me my office keyboard from my tea!!!!!

:roflmbo: :roflmbo: :roflmbo: *tears up from laughter* .. Oh man, I can just imagine it, too!! In the voice of Mrs. Bennett ... "Such a disapointment"
Jiyadan
Ranger of the North

Postby Edmund the Scholar » Thu Jun 21, 2007 1:08 pm

Jiyadan wrote:
Edmund the Scholar wrote:I might as well have a tape recording of my mother telling me how disappointed she is in me playing over and over in the background! :roll: :)

This almost cost me my office keyboard from my tea!!!!!

:roflmbo: :roflmbo: :roflmbo: *tears up from laughter* .. Oh man, I can just imagine it, too!! In the voice of Mrs. Bennett ... "Such a disapointment"

When I was offered my first publishing deal my mother said (in the supportive way that only she can), "Oh, let's see if you ever actually finish it!"

When I finally finished the manuscript and it had been printed, I gave her one of my comp copies. She then said, "Oh, let's see if anybody will ever actually buy it!"

And so it goes... I should have been a REEEAAAALLLL doctor like my brother!
Edmund the Scholar
Ranger of the North

Previous

Return to Writing: The Scriptorium of Imladris