THE LOUNGE FOR BOOKWORMS 5

Find within old venerable threads locked for size reasons. Threads within may be from any category or forum outside of Adoptions and Fandom. This forum is Read-Only.

Postby heliona » Sat Jul 04, 2009 6:04 pm

I've placed a moratorium on buying more books for myself until I've read all the ones I haven't read yet! :D

Congrats to Parma and Silwen and the degree and the job. :yippie:

*fingers crossed* for striderchick and the results, although I'm sure they'll be fine.

Hobby, are you referring to the fact that Oxford is less than a week away? :D I can't believe it, really. But hurray!
Image<-- Merry Christmas!

Life is short; break the rules, forgive quickly; kiss slowly; love truly; laugh uncontrollably; and never regret anything that made you smile. Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbour. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.

Grab a chance and you won't be sorry for the might-have-beens. - Arthur Ransome

Just because I have the vocabulary of a well-educated sailor doesn't mean I'm not a lady.

In Memoriam EDW - March 14th 2009
In Memoriam rowanberry - March 1st 2014 (~In Memoriam AHH - Alfred Lord Tennyson~)

Photos: My Flickr Photo Collections & Wee Nell - the furry ball of mischief!

(I occasionally post as White Shadow - you've been warned!)

New posters, there's a Welcome and Comprehensive Guide to the Messageboard to answer your questions.
heliona
The Sexy One ~ Hellaciously Huggable

Postby truehobbit » Tue Jul 07, 2009 12:27 pm

heliona, I was referring to the two adorable puppies. :D
But, yep, Oxford round the corner now, too.
I'm travelling to London tomorrow, staying there for two days before going on to Oxford, so won't check the thread till then. I can be reached on my mobile if something's up. :) :D

Parma and Rowan, you'll be missed in Oxford. :hug:

Silwen, ouch - doesn't talking to customers help? (To get your mind off your hurting feet, I mean. ;) )
truehobbit
Mariner

Postby Silwen » Tue Jul 07, 2009 12:46 pm

Hobby, have fun in Oxford and London. :D Yes, talking to customers helps a lot, but when there aren't any it is very hard. I just spoke to the manager this evening and took on an extra shift for someone else. I also mentioned doing shorter hours, but that doesn't seem possible. We will speak about it again on Thursday when I'm in, but I don't think I will get my wish.
Silwen
Ringbearer

Postby Parmamaite » Thu Aug 13, 2009 7:21 am

Well I'm home after three weeks in West-Scotland: rain, midges, sunshine, glaswegians, haggis, munroes, seafood and whisky :D.
Hope you all have had as good a summer as I 8)

I got "Tristram Shandy" home from the library just before the trip, I've managed to get through the first three books, but it's slow going.

Not because it's boring, on the contrary it's exceptional: Funny, captivating and very very original. But Sterne's vocubular is idiosynchratic, obscure and old-fashioned, his sentences are often intricate and longwinded, and the story itself is basically comprised of digressions and diversions. So I'm having fun, it just take me longer to digest than a native english-speaker.
Parmamaite
Ranger of the North

Postby Silwen » Fri Aug 14, 2009 12:53 am

Scotland seems to have a constant blanket of rain on top of it lately. Good to hear it didn't keep you from enjoying yourself, Parma. :D

What are you doing with your degree now, btw? And have you hung up the document on your wall? :wink:

I've got no time to read, lately, but I really want to decrease the pile of unread or unfinished books I have here. I just can't be bothered right now. Please don't banish me!
Silwen
Ringbearer

Postby Parmamaite » Wed Aug 19, 2009 4:28 am

:lol: I'm pretty sure there's no obligations that you have to read a certain amount of litterature in order to stay in the lounge, so feel free to hang around :)

I'm continuing the studies, so if all goes well, I'll get my master's in two more years. The degree is lying in a pile somewhere, I might hang it up later.
Parmamaite
Ranger of the North

Postby Silwen » Thu Aug 20, 2009 2:41 am

Sounds ambitious! Is the Danish system similar to the British one in that you first have to do a BA to get your MA?

I spent all day yesterday in Londonjustbeing a tourist. :D We wentto the London Eye and the Aquarium, which were both good. I especially liked the Aquarium and took loads of pictures, of course. I shall have to sort them all and upload them today. I am glad I don't have to be at work today because it was quite an exhausting day. :o
Silwen
Ringbearer

Postby heliona » Fri Aug 21, 2009 6:21 am

I have just started Plague Dogs by Richard Adams - finally!! So far I'm enjoying it. It is very similar in the style of writing and the format of storytelling to Watership Down which is to be expected. It is slightly more adult than Watership Down though; certainly the beginning description of the animal experiments is pretty harrowing. So far, so good, though!

Parm, good luck with the Masters. :)

Silwen, I saw the photos. It looked as though you were blessed with the weather and that you had a great time. The photos in the the aquarium and also from the London Eye are brilliant.

Edited because I'd clearly forgotten who wrote Watership Down and The Plague Dogs. :doh:
Last edited by heliona on Sat Aug 22, 2009 12:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

Life is short; break the rules, forgive quickly; kiss slowly; love truly; laugh uncontrollably; and never regret anything that made you smile. Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbour. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.

Just because I have the vocabulary of a well-educated sailor doesn't mean I'm not a lady.

In Memoriam rowanberry - March 1st 2014 (~In Memoriam AHH - Alfred Lord Tennyson~)

New posters, there's a Welcome and Comprehensive Guide to the Messageboard to answer your questions.
heliona

Postby Silwen » Fri Aug 21, 2009 11:18 am

heliona wrote:Silwen, I saw the photos. It looked as though you were blessed with the weather and that you had a great time. The photos in the the aquarium and also from the London Eye are brilliant.

Thanks. :) It was scorchingly hot, which is why I left my hat on all day. But that was better than if it had rained, of course. I certainly had a great time.
Silwen
Ringbearer

Postby Parmamaite » Mon Aug 24, 2009 8:06 am

Silwen wrote:Sounds ambitious! Is the Danish system similar to the British one in that you first have to do a BA to get your MA?

Yes exactly.

But I think it's easier to continue your studies in Denmark. When I told an english acquaintance that I'm doing the master degree, his first reaction was surprise that I could do that when I only got a C for my bachelor.
Parmamaite
Ranger of the North

Postby Silwen » Wed Aug 26, 2009 9:41 am

Well, that's perhaps a good thing. :D

A few days ago I bought "Mother's Milk", a signed copy of it too which we had at Oxfam for just 4 Pounds. :happydance: No idea when I will read it though because I have no time. Has anyone else read it?
Silwen
Ringbearer

Postby truehobbit » Thu Aug 27, 2009 5:18 pm

I've never even heard of that book, Silwen, but yay for your London day-trip. :D How far is it from Bath to London?

Hi Parma, have fun with the second round of studying! :D

heliona, let's know how you like it. :D
truehobbit
Mariner

Postby Silwen » Fri Aug 28, 2009 12:56 am

Hobby, it took us 1 1/2 hours by train to get to London, so it isn't that bad. Expensive, but not far. :lol: That was our summer vacation. :P

Mother's Milk was one of the books short-listed for the Booker Prize, which is why I had heard of it. It sounds good from what I read on the cover, but I have no time for reading right now. :(
Silwen
Ringbearer

Postby truehobbit » Fri Aug 28, 2009 6:43 pm

1 1/2 hours, that's a lot closer than I thought. :D

I haven't read much myself, recently, and am now off for a week's holiday again. I'm taking an introductory class to yachting. In Elba, Italy. 8) :D
Of course, I might just suck at it - I'm always worried I'm so awkward at motor skills of any kind - but I'm hoping it'll be very basic and not too demanding. :) In any case, I'm hoping to get an idea of the Mediterranean. It may sound odd (as in Europe people go to the Mediterranean for their holidays all the time), but the only bit I've seen of it so far is the harbour of Ostia. :D And when you have to go on holiday on your own, a class of any sort is a helpful thing to do. ;) :D
truehobbit
Mariner

Postby striderchick » Fri Aug 28, 2009 8:18 pm

I've been checking all the posts just haven't been saying anything.
Uhmmm... I read S. E. Hinton's The Outsiders for uni and I loved it. Really really loved it. Though before I read it I had been told that it was essentially a teenage girl's fantasy, as opposed to a "macho" book.

Reading a bit of Salman Rushdie for another English paper. Read Midnight's Children (sorta skim read it towards the end 'cause I was running out of time) and now reading Shame.
striderchick
Ranger of the North

Postby Parmamaite » Sat Aug 29, 2009 7:32 am

Wow, sailing on the mediterranean for a week 8) I'm green with envy
Parmamaite
Ranger of the North

Postby Silwen » Sun Aug 30, 2009 7:23 am

Ditto! :shock: Have fun and stay dry. :D
Silwen
Ringbearer

Postby heliona » Tue Sep 01, 2009 2:33 pm

I will do, Hobby. :) I'm about a third of the way through it at the moment. The dialect is getting on my nerves, which reminded that I wasn't keen on that part of Watership Down either. :D So I'm resorting to mouthing the dialogue, since if I hear it, I understand it.

Let me know how your sailing goes. :)

heliona

Postby Parmamaite » Tue Sep 22, 2009 12:46 am

It just struck me, that I forgot to say proper thanks to Hobby for the nice postcard she sent me :oops:

Thankyou very much for the postcard Hobby, that was very nice of you. :hug: :) it's still standing on my table.

PS. it must be a symptom of the activity level in TORC, that the Lounge is still on the first page, even though it's been three weeks since the last post :shock:
Parmamaite
Ranger of the North

Postby truehobbit » Tue Sep 22, 2009 1:41 pm

Glad it got there, Parma! :D
That leaves only the card to my parents unaccounted for. :(
But I'm glad I got to send some at all. The place where I was staying was in the middle of nowhere, and there wasn't enough time to take the bus into town. One evening I asked one of the waiters whether they sold postcards at the hotel, and he said no, but he could bring me some next time he went to town - and he remembered to do so! Wasn't that awesome? :D

Sailing was fun, the weather was fantastic, the people were great, so was the food. I got to bathe in the sea, too - a first for me. :D I found that my little Italian was still in fairly decent working order, which pleased me no end. :D

There are a bunch of pics here. :)

heliona, I know what you mean about dialect text - you need to 'hear' it, if only in your mind's ear, in order to understand it. I was lucky, though, in that my copy has a foreword "To my American Readers", with a glossary of the most unrecognisable terms. :D
truehobbit
Mariner

Postby Parmamaite » Thu Oct 08, 2009 2:48 am

Well I finished Tristram Shandy now. What a book!
Delightfully absurd, and irreverent of all rules on how to write.

Now perhaps, I can get back to my study-books.
:bookworm:
Parmamaite
Ranger of the North

Postby striderchick » Sat Oct 24, 2009 11:08 pm

Just finished Toni Morrison's Beloved.
And.. one essay and three exams to go till I've supposedly finished my degree. Can we say yikes? I have NO CLUE what I'm doing next year....
striderchick
Ranger of the North

Postby truehobbit » Sun Oct 25, 2009 10:38 am

Parma, cool that you enjoyed Tristam Shandy. :D

striderchick, yay! :thumbsup: What degree will that be, then, an academic title? And what are your options for next year? :)

Happy studying, all! 8) :D
truehobbit
Mariner

Postby striderchick » Sun Oct 25, 2009 1:24 pm

Bachelor of Arts. It's a double major in English and Classical Studies.
Options..... hmmmm... yeah lots of freaking out about that. I don't entirely know.
striderchick
Ranger of the North

Postby Erufailon.Atanvarno » Tue Oct 27, 2009 1:34 am

:hihi: all! I really love reading, I wish I could do only that. So many books, so little time. I've always dreamed of having a library room with a big comfy chair and a fireplace (well away from the books of course)

I just finished the Farseer Trilogy by Robin Hobb. An amazing writer, really makes you fall in love with her characters, I came to tears at the end of her last trilogy when it ended.

Now I'm starting 1984.
Erufailon.Atanvarno
Ranger of the North

Postby Parmamaite » Fri Oct 30, 2009 6:09 am

Welcome to the Lounge Erufailon

:)
Parmamaite
Ranger of the North

Postby truehobbit » Fri Oct 30, 2009 7:59 am

"striderchick, BA" 8) :thumbsup:
Have you thought of continuing to an MA or is it definitely the job market now? With a BA, you can do practically anything, can't you? :)

Eru, welcome! :hihi:
I hear you about there being more books than time to read them. *sigh* My to-read list is miles long. But, well, one thing at a time. :)
I've just started "Slaughterhouse Five", and it looks like it'll be quite good. Nice 'n short, too. ;)
I'm also reading "The Discovery of Slowness". (Well, reading it in German, of course, just looked up what seems to be the English title.) It had been on my shelf for years, and I'd never even realised that it was originally German - the author's name sounds rather foreign - LOL.

I've not read "1984". How do you like it so far?

:hihi: Parma! How's the studying going? :)
truehobbit
Mariner

Postby Cock-Robin » Fri Oct 30, 2009 8:06 am

Ah, yes. I read The Plague Dogs long ago, and it was a fascinating read. I won't spoil it for you, but there's a twist ending that was totally unexpected for me.

One other Adams book I dearly love is Shardik, though many don't like it because it tends to drag in the middle of the story. But if you persist and plow through the dull part, it has the most astonishing ending that brings tears to my eyes.

the doomed bird

Meneldor, Warrior Bard, and Brondgast, Mithril Knights

Gwaeryn and Robin, The Expected Party

Meneldor, Alatar and Pallando, Darkness Reigns: The Resistance

Warrior Bard
Cock-Robin
Friend of Eagles

Postby truehobbit » Fri Oct 30, 2009 8:23 am

Robin, I was so baffled about the ending! I'd love to hear what you thought of it. Did you think it was real? If you did, did you like it?

(To prevent spoilers, you can give a spoiler-warning, and then use white font. :) Though I could imagine heliona has finished the book by now. :) )

I haven't heard of "Shardik" at all. Is it about some critters, too? :)
truehobbit
Mariner

Postby Cock-Robin » Fri Oct 30, 2009 9:45 am

That's why I just mentioned it has a twist ending in a general way.

In Shardik, Adams creates a completely different culture setting, almost like in India.

With hunters and priests, and a legend of a great bear who incarnated the Power of God, whose name was Shardik.

The story, basically is about a bear which comes to the land escaping a fire from its home. Many think it is Lord Shardik returning to them to teach a lesson.

Some try to use Shardik and the legend for their own ends, but the bear has other ideas. (No, the bear doesn't talk. It's not a talking animal story like in Watership Down or The Plague Dogs. )

The lesson the bear ends up teaching is so dramatic, so unexpected, so shocking, and yet so simple, it takes one's breath away. When they try to use the bear for their own ends, their actions create a cruel empire, slavery and war. But then, the bear in its own way reveals the true purpose of its coming.

It's quite a dramatic tale. I'm not spoiling it by giving the basic outline. The ending I'm not telling, but it's quite shocking and unexpected. You'll have to find it out for yourself, as I'm not telling.

Adams wrote another novel of the Ortelgan culture, Maia, but the book is twice as long as Shardik and not even half as interesting.

It's a story that would make a great movie.

the doomed bird

Meneldor, Warrior Bard, and Brondgast, Mithril Knights

Gwaeryn and Robin, The Expected Party

Meneldor, Alatar and Pallando, Darkness Reigns: The Resistance

Warrior Bard
Cock-Robin
Friend of Eagles

PreviousNext

Return to The Library - General Archive