READ ONLY-Official TENGWAR Transcriptions(and TATTOOS)-III

Tolkien's worlds were birthed out of his love of language and his work at creating new ones. Enter into discussions surrounding Tolkien's languages.

Postby akjesiof » Tue Sep 13, 2011 9:23 am

Hello! I would like your help please. Can you do for me these phrases in Tengwar Normal Italic?

1)Even darkness must pass.
A new day will come.
And when the sun shines it will shine out clearer.

2) here at the end of all things

3) I will not say do not weep. For not all tears are an evil.

Thnx in advance.

Please send reply to tattoomaniac123456@hotmail.com
akjesiof
Petitioner to the Council

Postby superlaukis » Tue Sep 13, 2011 1:43 pm

So let's try again in english words are Faster Higher Stronger
And I gave these words to be translated in language which is used by using Tengwar. These languages are Quenya and Sindarin. So far so good?
In Quenya theoreticly it would sound like --- yondalarca yondatára yondatulca
or --- ambë larca ambë tára ambë tulca
(thank you Gladhaniel )
In Sinidarin it is possible that it sounds like --- athan celeg, athan hall, athan belt[/size] (thank you Xandarien )
The best font would be Tengwar Annatar Italic

Thank you! :)
superlaukis

tattoo

Postby sunsista » Tue Sep 13, 2011 5:17 pm

hello i was wondering if you could please transcribe this phrase for me in english;

Dream as if you will live forever
and live as if you will die today.

I would like it in two lines with a break after 'forever' as shown above.

If you could put it in tengwar cursive italic script, i would be grateful!

Thank you!
sunsista

another tattoo request :D

Postby leavesoflorien » Wed Sep 14, 2011 12:13 am

Hi there!

So, I've been trying for hours to transcribe this phrase into Tengwar, and I'm just about ready to pull my hair out in frustration. Somehow I can't make it make sense (apparently I'm okay with Spanish and French, but Elvish is far beyond me :3). I do have an accurate translation from English into Sindarin, but getting it the next step is not within my grasp.

Here is the line I would like translated, for my tattoo:

1) "Not idly do the leaves of Lorien fall," in English. The Sindarin translation I've come up with is: " Ú-ben theled i laiss Lorien dannar ." It's not a direct translation because apparently there's not an actual word for "idly," but this is the closest I could come ("not without purpose do the leaves of Lorien fall"), which is close enough.

2) I have both English and Sindarin, but I've provided the Sindarin because it's the most accurate transition into Tengwar, from what I've gathered.

3) I prefer the transcription to be in Tengwar Annatar, but Tengwar Sindarin is a close second. Ideally I would like to see both and pick my favourite, but I know that's not always possible, given time constraints. I leave it up to you to decide which one you provide. :)

That's basically it. If you need anything else (or if my original English to Sindarin translation is incorrect and you need something better), let me know here or via email.

Also, thank you SO MUCH in advance. I've been wanting this tattoo for years and I feel like I'm finally so close to getting it! After trying (and failing, hah) to transcribe this myself, I must say I have a profound respect for anyone who can provide these transcriptions correctly. You deserve ALL THE AWARDS, and more, for doing this. :D

Cheers,

Alli
Last edited by leavesoflorien on Wed Sep 14, 2011 5:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
leavesoflorien

Re: another tattoo request :D

Postby Isildilmë » Wed Sep 14, 2011 2:10 am

leavesoflorien wrote:So, I've been trying for hours to transcribe this phrase into Tengwar, and I'm just about ready to pull my hair out in frustration. Somehow I can't make it make sense (apparently I'm okay with Spanish and French, but Elvish is far beyond me :3). I do have an accurate translation from English into Sindarin, but getting it the next step is not within my grasp.

I know what you mean :) Tengwar can get quite complicated ! Nothing to do with learning Spanish or French, but I have to say that French is pretty complication (it's my language, so I know something about it !). The fact that Tengwar is not a language, but a script, can also add a comprehension difficulty for some people.
leavesoflorien wrote:2) I have both English and Sindarin, but I've provided the Sindarin because it's the most accurate transition into Tengwar, from what I've gathered.

I can do both versions for you, all the languages can be written with Tengwar. Of course the application is even more logical with Sindarin and Quenya, and there is more interpretation and controversy about English because there are many transcription mode circulating, but it can also be done.
leavesoflorien wrote:3) I prefer the transcription to be in Tengwar Annatar, but Tengwar Sindarin is a close second. Ideally I would like to see both and pick my favourite, but I know that's not always possible, given time constraints. I leave it up to you to decide which one you provide. Smile

No problem : when I know it before I do the transcription, there is not a big difference in the time necessary to do a transcription in one font than in more fonts. Do you want the Italic versions of the fonts or the regular one ? Just precise for each font if possible, or I'll guess it's Tengwar Annatar italic and Tengwar Sindarin regular, refeering to what is popular in the requests :)
leavesoflorien wrote:That's basically it. If you need anything else (or if my original English to Sindarin translation is incorrect and you need something better), let me know here or via email.

I'm not an expert at all in Sindarin translations... I'm more expert in Sindarin transcription ! To have your translation verified, I suggest you ask at the people in the Official Sindarin Translation thread. I can put a hold on your request until you have your confirmation and you come back to give me the "go", or if you are confident enough with what you did, I can proceed with the transcription. Just tell me what you prefer.
For the rest, I have to say that your request is very complete. I really don't have that much details from requesters here and I appreciate a lot. So except for the precision about the font (italic or regular) and the confirmation of your Sindarin translation, I don't need any other information.

leavesoflorien wrote:Also, thank you SO MUCH in advance. I've been wanting this tattoo for years and I feel like I'm finally so close to getting it! After trying (and failing, hah) to transcribe this myself, I must say I have a profound respect for anyone who can provide these transcriptions correctly. You deserve ALL THE AWARDS, and more, for doing this. Big Grin

Thank you very much. You should not be deceived :wink:
Concerning the Official Tengwar Transcription Thread - VI
To all the newbees, Welcome to TORC !
Before posting anything on this thread, READ THE INTRODUCTION. For now, I didn't have the time to update the intro, so I let you read the intro of thread #IV here.

If you have any questions, feel free to ask in the threads or by email (isildilme@hotmail.com - write "Tengwar" somewhere in the subject in case you fall in my junkmail, because if I don't know, I wont open the message !). Note that I don't accept transcription requests by email, you have to post them here !

You can address yourself to me in French, Spanish or English as you wish.

Special message : I have now two precious sons. They are my priorities, and an additional explanation for the delays in my answers. I WILL answer you... but you might have to wait. Thank you for your comprehension.
Isildilmë
Devoted to the Sheen

Postby Isildilmë » Wed Sep 14, 2011 2:30 am

akjesiof wrote:Hello! I would like your help please. Can you do for me these phrases in Tengwar Normal Italic?

mmm, I don't know a font called like this... please have a look on page 1 of this thread and choose a font (or some fonts), and tell me the complete name (ex. : Tengwar Annatar Normal, Tengwar Annatar Italic, etc.)
Before posting anything on this thread, READ THE INTRODUCTION. For now, I didn't have the time to update the intro, so I let you read the intro of thread #IV here.

If you have any questions, feel free to ask in the threads or by email (isildilme@hotmail.com - write "Tengwar" somewhere in the subject in case you fall in my junkmail, because if I don't know, I wont open the message !). Note that I don't accept transcription requests by email, you have to post them here !

Special message : I have now two precious sons. They are my priorities, and an additional explanation for the delays in my answers. I WILL answer you... but you might have to wait. Thank you for your comprehension.
Isildilmë
Devoted to the Sheen

Postby akjesiof » Wed Sep 14, 2011 6:57 am

Sorry I was confused. I want them in Tengwar Annatar Italic
akjesiof

Re: another tattoo request :D

Postby Xandarien » Wed Sep 14, 2011 7:18 am

leavesoflorien wrote:Hi there!

So, I've been trying for hours to transcribe this phrase into Tengwar, and I'm just about ready to pull my hair out in frustration. Somehow I can't make it make sense (apparently I'm okay with Spanish and French, but Elvish is far beyond me :3). I do have an accurate translation from English into Sindarin, but getting it the next step is not within my grasp.

Here is the line I would like translated, for my tattoo:

1) "Not idly do the leaves of Lorien fall," in English. The Sindarin translation I've come up with is: " Ú-ben theled i laiss Lorien dannar ." It's not a direct translation because apparently there's not an actual word for "idly," but this is the closest I could come ("not without purpose do the leaves of Lorien fall"), which is close enough.

Cheers,

Alli

See my reply in the Sindarin translations thread about this... :)
Xandarien
Rider of the Mark

Postby Sweet » Wed Sep 14, 2011 9:32 am

Hi
I'm so glad I've found this site.
I would like the names Beth and Tina (English) translated into Tengwar Annatar Italic please. It would be greatly appreciated if you could do this for me.thanks in advance. :wink:
Sweet

Postby pixel » Wed Sep 14, 2011 12:07 pm

hello!

I would really appreciate if you could translate "Arwyn" and "Little Red" into Tengwar Annatar Italic please.

thanking you in advance!

Linz :)
pixel

Postby Isildilmë » Wed Sep 14, 2011 12:46 pm

pixel wrote:hello!

I would really appreciate if you could translate "Arwyn" and "Little Red" into Tengwar Annatar Italic please.

thanking you in advance!

Linz :)

In what language should I consider that "Arwyn" is ? In English, like "Little Red" ?

Isildilmë
Devoted to the Sheen

Postby pixel » Wed Sep 14, 2011 1:17 pm

sorry, yes!
pixel

Postby Isildilmë » Thu Sep 15, 2011 10:29 am

For dartanyon : As there is no attested transcription for apostrophes, I just did as if there wasn’t any : “planets” and “brothers”...

Isildilmë
Devoted to the Sheen

Postby Isildilmë » Thu Sep 15, 2011 10:31 am

For akjesiof :

Isildilmë
Devoted to the Sheen

Postby Isildilmë » Fri Sep 16, 2011 1:34 am

For superlaukis : I did the transcriptions of the Quenya and Sindarin versions, but I just want to tell you that these are not the only languages which can be written in Tengwar as you seem to think. I agree that Tengwar is the natural way to write these languages, but we can write all the languages with them. It’s the same thing as for Roman letters (the letters we are using write now). We can write Chinese and Japonese with them, even if it is not the natural way to do it. And the way we use the Roman letters to write these languages is different from how we use them for English. That is why I ask for precisions. Most of the people here ask for English words to be transcribed directly in Tengwar, without translating them first (all the dark blue transcriptions I post here are done using English as basis). But as you tell me that yours are in Quenya and Sindarin, that is what I did.
As you can see, there are two major ways to write Sindarin with Tengwar.

Isildilmë
Devoted to the Sheen

Postby Isildilmë » Fri Sep 16, 2011 1:35 am

For sunsista : Thank you for your detailed request ! This way I’m sure you’ll get what you wanted !

Isildilmë
Devoted to the Sheen

Postby Isildilmë » Fri Sep 16, 2011 1:36 am

For Sweet :

Isildilmë
Devoted to the Sheen

Postby Isildilmë » Fri Sep 16, 2011 1:36 am

For pixel :

Isildilmë
Devoted to the Sheen

Postby superlaukis » Fri Sep 16, 2011 2:56 am

Thank you very much for help and lession, because now I almost fully understand the meaning of Tengwar writing, thank you thank you.
superlaukis

Postby TurinTurambar1989 » Fri Sep 16, 2011 11:03 am

Hi Isildilmë, could you post my quote in those other fonts that I asked for please? Thanks!
TurinTurambar1989

Postby Isildilmë » Fri Sep 16, 2011 11:59 am

TurinTurambar1989 wrote:Hi Isildilmë, could you post my quote in those other fonts that I asked for please? Thanks!

Did I forget you ?!? I almost never did such a thing, I'm sorry ! I remember I read your post and said "that will be easy and quickly done !"... what a shame. I'll get it done shortly.

Isildilmë
Devoted to the Sheen

Postby TurinTurambar1989 » Fri Sep 16, 2011 12:30 pm

haha its no bother! Im surprised you dont forget more youre so swamped!
TurinTurambar1989

Tattoo

Postby sunsista » Fri Sep 16, 2011 3:56 pm

Thank you so much Isildilmë!!
I cant believe you got it done so quickly!
Thank you again!
sunsista

Postby leavesoflorien » Fri Sep 16, 2011 9:44 pm

Okay, now that the great grammatical mystery has been solved (with a huge thank you to the wonderful Xandarien!), let me try this again:

The accurate phrase (and boy, was I way off before) I would like transcribed is:

Ú ar-theled dannar i laiss Lórien

I believe I've already told you my font preferences, but that part of the thread seems to have been eaten...? So I'll say it again: Tengwar Annatar italic and Tengwar Sindarin Regular, if you please. :)

Aaaaand the green light is go! For real this time, lol. Can't wait to see what you come up with!
leavesoflorien

Postby Sweet » Sat Sep 17, 2011 12:32 am

Thanks very much for that,it's really appreciated.You are a top man. :wink:
Sweet

hi

Postby Smashy » Sat Sep 17, 2011 3:05 pm

can you please translate this word into Tengwar Annatar?

The word is "smashy" and it's my nickname :)

Thank you very much.
Smashy

Re: hi

Postby Gladhaniel » Sat Sep 17, 2011 4:50 pm

Smashy wrote:can you please translate this word into Tengwar Annatar?

The word is "smashy" and it's my nickname :)

Thank you very much.

Is this English? :) Isildilmë needs to know the exact language of your request so as to make the most accurate transcription possible. :D
Gladhaniel
Rider of the Mark

Postby Isildilmë » Sun Sep 18, 2011 6:11 am

For TurinTurambar1989 : So here are the 4 fonts (I let the Tengwar Annatar Italic too, so you’ll have just one image to check). Sorry again for forgetting you, and enjoy !

Isildilmë
Devoted to the Sheen

Postby Isildilmë » Sun Sep 18, 2011 6:12 am

For leavesoflorien : It’s always better to have a good check up before we get inked (or whatever you want to do with this quote) ! Your last post was still there on the thread (it had not been eaten, I still can see it !), and anyway I always copy the request in my request list document, but it’s a good idea to precise again the fonts you want (and I see you now precise italic and regular, which is perfect).

So here is the transcription. As you can see there is two major transcription modes for Sindarin, so you’ll have to choose between 4 choices !

Isildilmë
Devoted to the Sheen

Postby Isildilmë » Sun Sep 18, 2011 6:14 am

For Smashy : As I had a bit of time this morning, I guessed your nickname was in English and did it this way. If it’s not the case, you have to tell me, for the result may change : Dhani is absolutely right, the language is of major importance here !

Isildilmë
Devoted to the Sheen

PreviousNext

Return to Language