Which character do you see yourself in, and why?

Fans of the movies? Love those actors; How about the characters? Come here to discuss all forms of fandom surrounding Peter Jackson's Lord of the Rings.

Which character do you see yourself in, and why?

Postby Lothcú » Fri May 18, 2012 10:24 pm

I apologize if this is an often repeated topic, but I was wondering if anyone connects with a character on more then a "favorite" level? For example, after thinking about it casually for a long time, I suddenly realized that if I was a character in the story, I likely would be very much Samwise. Mind you I am female, but in personality, absolutely. This might confuse people who know me, who know how much I love the Elves, but here's how I back it up.

Samwise enjoys gardening and growing things, and is even gifted earth from Galadriel. I enjoy gardening very much as well, and I am finding it comes very naturally. He is a loyal, and caring friend and sticks with Frodo no matter how hard things got. To my best friends, I would go out of my way for them too. Samwise has a fascination with the Elves, but just the same enjoys his humble Hobbit life and doesn't necessarily try to "be" one of them. Since the characters in the story are fictional, though very real in our hearts, I feel very much like Sam with my own fascination and love of the Elves. As much as it seems like it would be a dream to live like an Elf, I think in the end I would still miss a simple "cottage" life in the countryside. He gives his first daughter an Elven name, and in turn she gives her two children Elven names. I think this is lovely, and shows how the family love the Elves and even when most of the Elves leave, they will be remembered for the wonderful things they did. If such a thing as Elves lived in our world, I would very much want to do the same thing. I think Sam has a beautiful heart and a caring personality, and I admire that very much, and hope I can be the same if I am not already.

So now your turn! :)
Lothcú
Petitioner to the Council

Postby rowanberry » Sat May 19, 2012 1:38 pm

Galadriel. She's been around for a long time, and gone through a lot to become what she is. She has learned what she can do and what she can't, so she is wise enough to refuse the Ring when it's offered to her.
Image I'm judging MoST again this year! Ready for the opening banquet...

MoME 2013 results are in!

The Sons of Fëanor re-embodied in the beginning of the Fourth Age? Yes, for The Maedhros and Tygarya Saga – and, as fire-hearted as ever!

On my way to Morannon on the Walk to Rivendell and Beyond!

Shire and Shutter - the TORC photoblog

Thoughts about dance, life, and everything
rowanberry
+++Out Of Cheese Error+++

Postby frodolives668 » Sat Jun 09, 2012 10:37 am

Oh, Pippin, definatly! I'm irresponsible, I fool around, and I'm quick enough to never get in trouble. I'll hang around with anyone I can barely stand, and expect other people to do all the work because if I try to help I'll probably bungle it up so bad that they'll have to do it over. I always think I understand what's going on when I clearly don't. I eat a lot, I'm a good sprinter but I'm not athletic, and I'm good in an argument, but not in an actual fight. Truthfully, the only reason people like me is because I make them laugh...a lot...
frodolives668
Rider of the Mark

Re: Which character do you see yourself in, and why?

Postby GreyWitch » Fri Jan 11, 2013 12:50 pm

Eowyn - I usually come off as clinging a bit to winter's chill and I've never been fond of the idea that women are weaker than men. Maybe we can lift a few pounds less, but our hearts are capable of the same bravery. I really love Eowyn and I hope that I can be at least half as strong as she is.
GreyWitch
Citizen of Imladris

Postby smeagol4president » Fri Jan 11, 2013 3:34 pm

Smeagol/Gollum, like a true Gemini, I have two sides to me, that are the complete opposite.

One good, one bad.
smeagol4president

Postby Sassyfriend » Wed Jan 16, 2013 1:52 pm

:hair: I see myself as Boromir the most. Trying to be the best i can and things are not working out how i want them to. Also really thankful the one ring isn't real or i'd be in big hot water. I see myself both refusing to take it and at the same time i see myself taking it as well. Feeling so confused inside like Boromir did. I really wish I could do something to prove myself worthy. :angry: How much more can this Boromir take!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :cry2: someone please send me an Aragorn!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Sassyfriend
Shield Bearer

Postby Almatolmen » Wed Jan 16, 2013 2:16 pm

I first confronted this question in the long ago days when I was in the Mythopoeic Society and was considering a costume for a party. I found that my build made Barliman Butterbur the character of choice.

But if you go by interests, I'd probably be some Elvish scholar of language and history.
Almatolmen
Mariner

Postby siddharth » Sat Jan 19, 2013 6:16 am

:)Cool thread :)

I think I am a bit more like Gimli. When it comes to things I am good at, I am very competetive. :D
I am a good sprinter .... over short distances.:D
When angry, I am quite grumpy like most dwarves. Even in serious situations I love to crack a joke or two.And I love food, especially meat!
I think we have a lot in common. :D
PS: I also have the dual personality of Gollum. In someways we all have, imao.
siddharth
Ranger of the North

Postby panthael caleb » Wed Apr 24, 2013 8:57 pm

Sam.
I value friendship deeper than any other relationships I have. It might take more pages if I try to explain why.

Sent from my LG-SU660 using Tapatalk 2
panthael caleb

Postby siddharth » Tue Jun 11, 2013 1:04 am

Change in character now. Just a bit. :D

I think, I do have a few traits of the movie Radagast (don't know much about the book one ;) ).
I love nature, birds, animals, plants, forests, anything. And I'd prefer to live in a forest rather than a concrete-jungle.
Besides, I do have the nervousness at times, as shown by him. And I forget to say something that's on the tip of my tongue. :P
siddharth
Ranger of the North

Postby BagginsGirl » Thu Jul 11, 2013 10:15 pm

I see myself in Frodo. Which is kinda weird since he is also my favorite character. But I can relate to him a lot. His relationship with Bilbo is very similar to mine with my Grandpa. Just like he pitied Gollum, I often feel sorry for and pity people which often leads to problems for me down the road. And just like Frodo, I don't know where I'd be without my own Sam-Wise Gamgee. :)
BagginsGirl
Rider of the Mark

Postby Elinor Gamgee » Wed Aug 07, 2013 12:04 pm

I really see myself as a Bilbo. :) I'm a normal person with a normal life, and whenever life's adventures come knocking at my door I'm like: "WHOA! Slow down there! I like my normal, peaceful, everyday life and I don't think I can give it up for some wild and dangerous 'adventure'. Maybe you should try someone else..." :) And sometimes I'm pulled into an adventure whether I like it or not.... But , at the end I discover a lot about myself and my abilities as a person that I never would have known if I wasn't on that journey. The view of my world has been turned upside down, but a lot of times that makes life all the more clear and better. :) And sometimes a lot of people find my new personality or world view crazy ,weird , or insane. But, I just smile and shrug it off, just like Bilbo. :)
Elinor Gamgee
Citizen of Imladris

Postby Aurelin » Thu Oct 10, 2013 2:57 am

I think I would be closest to Faramir - I love books, reading, lore, but when the need comes, I can fight for me and mine. Though I probably would not have his strength of mind to refuse the Ring.
Of the Sil characters I think I relate most to Luthien - not that I am that beautiful or anything but in that for my love I would brave all sorts of perils and would choose to go with him, even if it means forsaking immortality.
Aurelin
Ranger of the North

Postby Therien Greenleaf » Sat Jan 04, 2014 8:35 pm

Legolas: i'm seriously not adding this just because i like him. i love archery (before i knew about lotr at all) i love nature, feel most at home in trees. I can also be a little funny ( when Gimli gets drink and keels over backwards in EE and Legolas looks at him and smiles and says "game over"). I am definantly captain obvious, too. I also speak a little Sindarin and can write a little in Tengwar.
Therien Greenleaf

Postby River Daughter » Thu Jan 23, 2014 5:36 pm

I see myself as Sam, an unsung hero who usually works behind the scenes but is a crutial part of the journey. Seems quiet at first and is very protective. Likes one person and remembers everything about them. Very kind and likes to not be noticed all the time. Can sneak into a lot of places and hear things that he doesn't want to hear but he should. Frodo couldn't of got far without Sam.
River Daughter

Return to Movies - Lord of the Rings (Fandom)