"Time Team" (and other things you like) on YouTube

Come here and discuss your favorite Non-Tolkien movies.

"Time Team" (and other things you like) on YouTube

Postby portia » Fri Oct 19, 2012 6:50 pm

I loved "Time Team" and was very sad when I could no longer find it on my TV schedule. So, imagine my joy when I came upon a whole group of long specials made by the team, on Youtube. So far, I have watched over an hour on an excavation in London and about 45 minutes on a project involving people doing small excavations in their back gardens: "The Big Dig" (part One).
It is very exciting.
If you like "Tme Team," look this up.
Last edited by portia on Fri Feb 21, 2014 9:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
portia
Ringbearer

Re: "Time Team" on YouTube

Postby Almatolmen » Fri Oct 19, 2012 7:12 pm

I'm so glad that you put up a post! It is exciting, isn't it?
Almatolmen
Mariner

Postby Almatolmen » Fri Oct 19, 2012 8:52 pm

I do a daily Google news search for, among other things, archaeology. I am sad to note that after 20 years and 250 episodes TT will be removed from Channel 4's schedule. New episodes will air until early next year. There will be two specials, one a retrospective, the other about the Richard III excavation in Leicester that will carry over until 2014. The networks speaks of replacing it will more innovative historical programming, some of which will include archaeology.
Since I've only seen a fraction of the episodes through YouTube, I hope that with the serie's passing, more will show up there.
Almatolmen
Mariner

Postby portia » Tue Feb 05, 2013 10:33 am

I saw the announcement that the tomb of Richard III had been found! :shock: :angel: :horse: :drink: :drink: :happydance: :clap:

That is wonderful! I have been a fan of that play since the 60s. Although I am a bit split bvetween interest in the bones and realization of the fact that this is an uncle/cousin of the present line, only 430 years ago.
portia
Ringbearer

Postby portia » Wed Jun 05, 2013 5:06 pm

What is wrong with Channel 4? Is "Time Team" being taken off the air??
What's the matter; has Britain run out of archeology? That is terrible.
I have signed a petition to keep it on, but who knows anything about what's happening?

Sorry, I didn't quite absorb the comment above that it would be taken off. I am about 1/2 to 3/4 of the way through the YouTube episodes.
But what do they plan to replace it with? A show about archeology doesn't have a lot of different approaches. You have a ruin, or a field. You dig and find out what is under it. It comes to light gradually.
portia
Ringbearer

Postby Gungnir » Thu Jun 06, 2013 6:17 am

portia wrote:What is wrong with Channel 4? Is "Time Team" being taken off the air??
What's the matter; has Britain run out of archeology? That is terrible.
I have signed a petition to keep it on, but who knows anything about what's happening?

Sorry, I didn't quite absorb the comment above that it would be taken off. I am about 1/2 to 3/4 of the way through the YouTube episodes.
But what do they plan to replace it with? A show about archeology doesn't have a lot of different approaches. You have a ruin, or a field. You dig and find out what is under it. It comes to light gradually.

Time Team has been running since 1994 so they have done a LOT of episodes - 230 of them according to Wikipedia. It must be getting hard to find as-yet uninvestigated sites. There are still plans for some one-off specials, similar to the previous ones which follow the course of events of more academic digs or archaeological investigations. Also the main presenters are either getting a bit long-in-the-tooth or, as in the case of Mick Aston, have left because they thought the archaeology was being a bit diluted.

As far as I know there is no plan for a direct replacement but Channel 4 do make a lot of other good documentaries about archaeological and/or historical subjects.
Gungnir
Mariner

Postby portia » Sat Jun 08, 2013 8:53 am

I hope they put some on YouTube. The USA is a bit thin on recent history (as opp. to dinosaurs) archeology.
portia
Ringbearer

Postby Gungnir » Sun Jun 16, 2013 1:36 am

Portia, did you hear that Tony Robinson was Knighted in this years Queen's Birthday Honours list? He's now Sir Tony Robinson. (also Rowan Atkinson got a CBE as well - in honour of this here is an item from the archives... LotR Casting Script )
Gungnir
Mariner

Postby portia » Wed Jun 19, 2013 11:38 am

I hadn't heard that. Hip-hip-hooray for Sir Tony!

Slogging around Britain, admiring inch-square pieces of pottery, listening to unnamed people with hideous accents, letting all of us see his progressive loss of hair. Good on him!

Later: Thinking about the "cast" of TimeTeam, I really have to give a lot of credit to Phill Harding. His obvious enthusiasm, his ability to explain things learly and his willingness to do experiments add a lot to the show. When I learned to understand his accent.
Last edited by portia on Sat Mar 01, 2014 10:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
portia
Ringbearer

Postby Gungnir » Wed Jun 19, 2013 1:42 pm

portia wrote:I hadn't heard that. Hip-hip-hooray for Sir Tony!

Slogging around Britain, admiring inch-square pieces of pottery, listening to unnamed people with hideous accents, letting all of us see his progressive loss of hair. Good on him!

'Hideous accents'? Bit rich coming from a damned colonial. =:)
Gungnir
Mariner

Postby portia » Wed Jun 19, 2013 6:40 pm

"Hideous accents" are in the ear of the beholder.
portia
Ringbearer

Postby Gungnir » Tue Jun 25, 2013 12:02 am

Unfortunately there is one less "hideous" accent today - Mick Aston, ex-Time Team expert, dies aged 66
Gungnir
Mariner

Postby portia » Tue Jun 25, 2013 6:00 pm

Yes, that is too bad. I always feel badly when a learned person passes away early. However, I do not recall thinking hs accent "hideous."

I watched an episode on a dig in Virginia. Some people probably though those accents at least strange.
portia
Ringbearer

Postby portia » Thu Aug 01, 2013 12:11 pm

I watched two episodes today, on Lincoln's Inn and on Salisbury Cathedral. Both had surprises.

Also watched an excavation of a Henry II priory on Southeast Coast. That may have been the last episde that Ashton was in. I got the real impression that either he felt that three days was inadequate or that someone was not making the decisions about where to dig properly, or both.

If anyone is worried about a tendency to "dumb down" a series like this, they first need to address the three day limit. It is artificial and often means that you can't get a real idea of what is there, or whether more work is needed.
portia
Ringbearer

Postby portia » Sun Dec 08, 2013 7:12 pm

Bump to keep it in current thought.
I watced a dig on Salisbury Plain, of a group of Anglo-Saxon Burials. But the interesting part was that most of the work was being done by a group of military people who had injuries or PTSD, as a way of pulling them out of themselves, etc. What a good idea!
portia
Ringbearer

Re: "Time Team" (and other things you like) on YouTube

Postby portia » Fri Feb 21, 2014 9:39 am

I think I will expand the topic.

I have been exploring other videos on You Tube. (Well, most of them seem to have something to do withmy favorite movies, but one thing I think is worth looking at are the Nerd HQ videos. These are interviews done right after Comic Con with whomever. They are interesting--not like those formula interviews about the movie.
(I have to say that watching Tom Hiddleston drop into a perfect imitation of Chris Evans, without skipping a beat is a treat)

Anyone else have suggestions?
portia
Ringbearer

Postby portia » Sat Mar 01, 2014 9:45 pm

News on Coriolanus (Hiddleston):
A person has been posting sections of the Donmar Theatre's production in about 14 minute pieces, and one hour ago finished part 9. Part 11 is the end, I think, but not, at this minute, posted
SO, IF YOU COULDN'T GET TO SEE THIS IN THE THEATRE, OR WANT TO SEE IT AGAIN, GO TO YOUTUBE AND SEARCH "CORIOLANUS PARTs 1-10, or 11."

I would not delay, as the theatre may not be happy to have the whole production on YouTube.
Between this and Time Team I may never watch regular TV again!
portia
Ringbearer

Postby Arlaug » Mon Mar 03, 2014 1:45 pm

:shock:
BUT THAT IS PERFECT FOR PEOPLE LIKE MEY/sorry for the caps, much excitement, me such a fangirl. Lembas for Portia from me :D
Arlaug
Shield Bearer

Postby portia » Mon Mar 03, 2014 6:23 pm

I am glad you saw this. They even have the discussion at the intermission. I am sure the person who is posting this will get to no. 11. soon.

I also think it was good of whoever did it, to include the subtitles, since this was broadcast around the world.
portia
Ringbearer

Postby Arlaug » Mon Mar 03, 2014 11:53 pm

I will give it a thorough watch when I come home from my lectures, neverminding subtitles.
Arlaug
Shield Bearer

Postby portia » Thu Mar 06, 2014 5:33 pm

The National Theatre "Coriolanus" has been removed from YouTube.

I hope everyone who wanted to see it, had the chance.I was afraid they would not want it to be posted.
I would express myself, but I do not use that kind of language, and the TOS would be blown to pieces.
portia
Ringbearer

Postby Arlaug » Fri Mar 07, 2014 3:40 am

I managed to see a few clips but I wanted to re-watch it in peace this weekend :( oh well, at least tumblr had already outdone itself with gifsets.
Arlaug
Shield Bearer

Postby portia » Sat Mar 08, 2014 4:25 pm

I am glad you saw part of it, but I am not surprised that Donmar wanted it off. It is a copyright violation, and someone, somewhere got ahold of the regular recording. Maybe it will encourage Donmar or the National Theater to put out the recrding on DVD. How hard can it be? The recording exists, and the only issues are how to split the profits. If they think there will be profits, I think I can guarantee that they will find a way.
portia
Ringbearer

Postby Arlaug » Sat Mar 08, 2014 6:34 pm

It'd be a good move as everything with any amount if Tom is valuab Le
Arlaug
Shield Bearer

Postby portia » Fri Mar 14, 2014 2:13 pm

On youtube, there is a series of interviews/panel shows under the title "Nerd HQ" with all sorts of people, Hiddleston, Nathan Fillion, the Doctior Who group, and the cast of the now cancelled show "Chuck," among others. These are good, casual interviews, as the actors are confident that their audiences are supportive and knowledgable.
The Interviews take place during the San Diego Comic-Con, but are not part of it. Well, the people who do this (Primarily Zachary Levi) feel that they cannot front the money for it any longer and are having a group fundraiser, now through April 24, or so. As I have found the interviews, etc., very interesting and entertaining and I think it would be a shame to have no more (they are free on youtube), I have donated.

The donation site is: http://igg.me/at/iwantmynerdhq

I suggest that you go and look at some of their work and if you think it is worth supporting, donate.
portia
Ringbearer

Postby Arlaug » Fri Mar 14, 2014 2:22 pm

Oooh. Tom kneeling during NHQlast year was priceless; as was quoting Posthumus. Will not reveal how many times did I look up that interview.
Arlaug
Shield Bearer

Return to Movies - Other