The LOTR v/s Harry Potter Showdown

What do you think of Tolkien on the silver screen...? Whether Bakshi, Jackson, Amazon, BBC radio play, or whoever else, come on in and discuss your reflections, opinions, and memories...

The LOTR v/s Harry Potter Showdown

Postby siddharth » Mon Dec 17, 2012 3:27 am

*Post swallowed by Pac-man*
Last edited by siddharth on Fri Mar 07, 2014 9:56 pm, edited 3 times in total.
siddharth
Ranger of the North

Re: LOTR v/s Harry Potter: A part by part comparison

Postby Diamond of Long Cleeve » Tue Dec 18, 2012 8:44 am

You've put a lot of thought into this! :)

To me it's apples and oranges, and I enjoy both. To me Tolkien's imaginative fiction is superior in depth and quality. The Prof created his mythos out of his love for language and mythology: there are elements of Norse mythology and Anglo-Saxon mythology in his work. It's deep and profound and amazing, a very rich brew indeed. And of course he was a superb storyteller, otherwise his mythos would not work at all ... his skill as a storyteller is seen on every page of The Hobbit and LotR. :)

I think he is a superior world-builder to Rowling ... which your ratings suggest. But the HP books have their virtues, too. Rowling is a very good storyteller in her own right, and has created vivid, almost Dickensian characters who one cares about and gets invested in. :) I regard HP as rather like Narnia for teenagers. :D

I would give both Frodo and Ron higher ratings than you have. ;) My inner fangirl rates Frodo higher than Harry (he's more mature and I love him more!) My inner literary critic puts them both on the same level. Harry is certainly following the 'Frodo trope', i.e. the lone hero, usually an orphan, who has a higher destiny foisted on him and who has to prove himself, often through a 'near death' experience, and/or offer himself as a sacrifice. Both Frodo and Harry tick all those boxes!

I think you're a little hard on Ron. ;) He's not actually a favourite of mine - I prefer Hermione, although she can be extremely annoying at times - but he is a very well-drawn and believable character, and represents some kind of normal as opposed to Harry's dysfunctional background. I think the Trio are balanced pretty well, although it was inevitable that two of them would end up with each other.

A very thorough comparison, thank you. :)
Diamond of Long Cleeve
Mariner

Postby Wolfie65 » Thu Jan 03, 2013 1:55 pm

Just a few points I've picked out:
Tolkien did his level best to skip over battle scenes with as little fanfare as humanly possible.
His first love was languages, and his books are basically just a 'justification' for having invented several fantasy languages.
Which, along with the extremely detailed history he invented right along with them, are what gives his books their enormous depth.
Dumbledore is the headmaster of a school.
Gandalf is basically the equivalent of an angel.
If you're going to compare the literary qualities of LotR and Harry Potter, just pick any page, any paragraph and compare side by side.
You might as well compare Shakespeare to a Target ad.
Nothing against Harry Potter, the fact that the series made kids want to read is great, the movies are ok, but it's basically Anne of Green Gables in a fantasy world.
If you like HP, take a look at Susan Cooper's The Dark is Rising sequence......
Wolfie65
Citizen of Imladris

Postby siddharth » Fri Jan 04, 2013 11:12 pm

Wolfie65 wrote:Dumbledore is the headmaster of a school.
Gandalf is basically the equivalent of an angel.

Dumbledore is not just a headmaster of a school. He is the most powerful wizard on earth ( in HP) and has as much courage to sacrifice himself for the greater good as Gandalf.
siddharth
Ranger of the North

Re: The LOTR v/s Harry Potter Showdown

Postby Rachel_musicfan » Sun Mar 24, 2013 6:09 pm

Well I've never cared for Harry Potter, so my vote goes for LOTR.
Rachel_musicfan
Citizen of Imladris

Postby orcslayr23 » Fri Jul 12, 2013 9:55 am

I think that the LOTR series has superior films, but HP has better books.

Granted i've only read LOTR twice and the last time was at least 4 years ago. I need to go back and read them but my list of 'to read' is already incredibly long, so that might not be for a while lol.
orcslayr23
Citizen of Imladris

Postby siddharth » Sat Jul 13, 2013 7:43 am

orcslayr23 wrote:I think that the LOTR series has superior films, but HP has better books.

Granted i've only read LOTR twice and the last time was at least 4 years ago. I need to go back and read them but my list of 'to read' is already incredibly long, so that might not be for a while lol.

For me, the Middle-earth books will always be the best books ever written. Granted, LotR is not my favorite (The Silmarillion is) but it's still second. And imo, LotR would outrun the HP books and any other fantasy series in the test of time (with the possible exception of A song of Ice and Fire, which I hear is equally good)

Note, LotR and the Hobbit are the world's no.2 and 3 most sold books, respectively and the HP books are nowhere close. Meanwhile, the RotK earned less than HP 8 (though both are over the billion mark).

But each to his own I suppose. :D :D
Last edited by siddharth on Sat Jul 13, 2013 11:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
siddharth
Ranger of the North

Postby Melwa » Sat Jul 13, 2013 9:59 am

Note, LotR and the Hobbit are the world's no.2 and 3 most sold books, respectively and HP is nowhere close.

With number one being the Bible, correct?
Melwa
Ranger of the North

Postby siddharth » Sat Jul 13, 2013 11:37 am

Melwa wrote:
Note, LotR and the Hobbit are the world's no.2 and 3 most sold books, respectively and HP is nowhere close.

With number one being the Bible, correct?

Um, no. The most sold book is Dickens' A Tale of Two Cities. Here

The Bible is the most printed and the most widely translated book in the world.

-------------------------------

Oh boy. This thread brings back memories. I think this was only the second thread by me when I joined. :Q
siddharth
Ranger of the North

Postby Melwa » Sat Jul 13, 2013 4:24 pm

Ah, I see that list purposely excluded religious texts like the Bible. It would indeed be hard to get an exact number . . .

Tale of Two Cities is good, if sad . . .

Woah, yeah, this is an old thread of yours. I'd probably have followed you here long ago, except that I've not read HP
Melwa
Ranger of the North

Postby siddharth » Sat Jul 13, 2013 9:15 pm

Melwa wrote:Ah, I see that list purposely excluded religious texts like the Bible. It would indeed be hard to get an exact number .

Of course.

Tale of Two Cities is good, if sad . . .

My favorite Dickens' :D
Woah, yeah, this is an old thread of yours. I'd probably have followed you here long ago, except that I've not read HP

Yeah, the thread's amateur-ish. I posted this sometime, when I had an argument with a friend who still says that LR sucks and HP is the greatest series ever. :puke: *shakes head*
This was before you joined, so how could you follow me? :?
Wait, you haven't read HP? :Q Whoa, your missing something great there! (not as much as Middle-earth though)
siddharth
Ranger of the North

Postby ngaur » Sun Jul 14, 2013 4:29 am

Shouldn't this go the books forum?

Anyway, my own opinion is that the two works are to different from each other to warrant comparison.
ngaur
Ranger of the North

Postby Frodome » Fri Mar 07, 2014 9:47 pm

Sid, ONLY ONE THING FOR YOU, WHATEVER YOU WROTE ABOUT FRODO : "ONE DOES NOT SIMPLY UNDERSTAND FRODO." You would never have said he's "weak" had you understood him properly.
Frodome
Shield Bearer

Postby siddharth » Fri Mar 07, 2014 9:54 pm

Frodome wrote:Sid, ONLY ONE THING FOR YOU, WHATEVER YOU WROTE ABOUT FRODO : "ONE DOES NOT SIMPLY UNDERSTAND FRODO." You would never have said he's "weak" had you understood him properly.

First, I do understand him. I did not untill I had given Frodo a second chance when I reread the books after some years (which was AFTER this thread was started).

Second, Frodo in the films is indeed weaker than Harry Potter, so I do not find it flawed.

Third, as this thread is sort of an embarrassment (being my first post here :oops: ), I shall remove the contents. :D
siddharth
Ranger of the North

Postby Frodome » Fri Mar 07, 2014 10:49 pm

Oops, I forgot.! This is a movie forum. But Frodo in the book is neither Weak nor the one who doesn't deserve be known as the hero.
But, in the movies Ring is much more stronger than Horcruxes. So, Frodo would definitily look "weaker" than others. Harry didn't have to fight with temptation that Frodo did (every second, even when asleep). Harry never had to do that. Yes, he had a connection with Voldemort, but he could get rid of it, if he wanted. But he was too ARROGANT.
Though, I'm glad with your Sam's description and his rating. :D
Frodome
Shield Bearer

Return to Movies and Media: Tolkien