HHEEELLLLOOOOOOO the home alone thread.

Just as Tolkien and the Inklings used to meet at The Bird and the Baby, come in here to converse about whatever might be on your mind. This is the place for all off-topic conversation.

Re: HHEEELLLLOOOOOOO the home alone thread.

Postby hamlet » Mon Oct 24, 2016 7:41 am

CR: I believe the reason that vacation and holiday days go by so quickly is a law of cosmic crapitude. Essentially, the universe is teasing you and letting you know that, yes, it specifically has it out for you.

Hopefully going back to work will be a little easier after a vacation.
hamlet
Ringbearer

Postby IrisBrandybuck » Mon Oct 24, 2016 7:52 am

What hamlet said. Truth is in that statement.

LK: I'm warning you...it's a stupid premise and the language is pretty strong at times. I stuck with it for the kitten. So, weigh your tolerances first. :)

"They ask me what I'd like written about me when I'm gone. I hope they write I made Penn State a better place, not just that I was a good football coach." -- Joe Paterno
IrisBrandybuck
I can't brain today. I have the dumb.

Postby Ladykat » Mon Oct 24, 2016 6:23 pm

hamlet wrote: I believe the reason that vacation and holiday days go by so quickly is a law of cosmic crapitude. Essentially, the universe is teasing you and letting you know that, yes, it specifically has it out for you.

YES! Completely agree with you on that part.

But I always found going back to work harder after a vacation, or even a nice, long weekend.

Iris---so exactly what is the kitten's role in the movie? Don't worry about spoilers, I haven't yet decided if I'm even going to watch it, so you telling me about it won't be a problem.

If you're afraid of spoiling it for someone else who might want to see it, you can email me the "plot"---if one can dignify it by calling it that. :P

LK
Ladykat
Between the Worlds of Men and Make Believe I Can be Found

Postby Vanaladiel » Mon Oct 24, 2016 8:53 pm

Vacations pass all too quickly. I just had two weeks off of one job and still feel like I didn't have any time for doing anything fun. But I tell you when you are waiting for jury duty selection the time takes forever long! Luckily I did not get chosen.
Image Spring come quickly!!
~*Sister of the Twilight*~
~*Daughter of the Moon*~

Inyë melmëlyë my love, for you are the melody to which I now dance!!

Bearer of "Elen~Uial"
The Moon Ring of the Twilight Star

Bard of the land of Eryn Lasgalen

Mithril Knight of Lore
Mithril Knight of Eryn Lasgalen

Lifetime Award 2010

Always in our memories, vison :rose:, Alex :rose:, Rowanberry :rose: and Watcher :rose:! Our world is a little dimmer without your smiles!

A tribute to Cynthia 11/14/2005 :rose:

For my dad who now resides with the Lord! :rose: 05/11/16 I love you daddy and will see you again someday in Glory!

TORC 365 project
Vanaladiel
~*MoonLight Dancer*~

Postby Ladykat » Thu Oct 27, 2016 7:11 pm

It seems the Avast won't work with the Norton. Guess I'll just wait til the Norton lapses, then get the other.

But I thought it was free? The one I looked at only gave a free trial, then you had to buy it.

Maybe things changed since Iris and CR got it.

LK
Ladykat

Postby heliona » Fri Oct 28, 2016 2:51 pm

You can keep the free trial, don't worry. :)
Image<-- Sir Gwaine representing the letter "G" in the TVM!

Life is short; break the rules, forgive quickly; kiss slowly; love truly; laugh uncontrollably; and never regret anything that made you smile. Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbour. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.

Grab a chance and you won't be sorry for the might-have-beens. - Arthur Ransome

Just because I have the vocabulary of a well-educated sailor doesn't mean I'm not a lady.

In Memoriam EDW - March 14th 2009
In Memoriam rowanberry - March 1st 2014 (~In Memoriam AHH - Alfred Lord Tennyson~)

Photos: My Flickr Photo Collections & Wee Nell - the furry ball of mischief!

(I occasionally post as White Shadow - you've been warned!)

New posters, there's a Welcome and Comprehensive Guide to the Messageboard to answer your questions.
heliona
The Sexy One ~ Hellaciously Huggable

Postby Ladykat » Tue Nov 01, 2016 9:12 pm

Never did get my Halloween sig pic up.

Oh well, too late now.

Maybe Thanksgiving.

LK
Last edited by Ladykat on Thu Nov 03, 2016 6:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ladykat

Postby IrisBrandybuck » Thu Nov 03, 2016 11:25 am

Sorry, LK, I've been unexpectedly AWOL. Funeral + week of being sick + unexpectedly busy and a bit under the weather = missing important stuff here. I'm going to wrap up Bob in one fell swoop if I have time. The thing I hate about the beginning of fall is switching back and forth between cold and warm. My sinuses protest and I'm constantly feeling ill and headachy until the weather makes up it's mind.

Essentially, the kitten belongs to a high level drug dealer and when he's killed, the kitten runs off and ends up on the doorstep of this guy who had been depressed when his girlfriend leaves him. Keanu gives him reason to get out of bed, and he starts working as a photographer again, taking pictures of the kitten. After that, it gets weird...the cat is kidnapped and there is a lot of confusion with rival gangs, etc. and this guy and his best friend trying to get the kitten back. The kitten proves to be a tough little kit and he just wants to get back to the guy he chose...and he does, but the two men end up in jail for a bit, so his new girlfriend, who is a cop, who was undercover in one of the gangs, takes care of Keanu and tells him during a visit that the vet says Keanu will be a kitten all of his life, due to a genetic problem.

"They ask me what I'd like written about me when I'm gone. I hope they write I made Penn State a better place, not just that I was a good football coach." -- Joe Paterno
IrisBrandybuck

Postby Ladykat » Thu Nov 03, 2016 7:07 pm

Iris---sounds like a very strange movie. :Q

I doubt that I'll be in any hurry to watch it. Maybe sometime when the weather is bad, or I'm not feeling well (or both) and I just want to chill in front of the TV watching something mindless.

LK
Ladykat

Postby IrisBrandybuck » Fri Nov 04, 2016 7:56 am

"I don't care who dies in the movie, as long as the cat (or dog) lives!" :D

IrisBrandybuck

Postby Ladykat » Fri Nov 04, 2016 1:10 pm

IrisBrandybuck wrote:"I don't care who dies in the movie, as long as the cat (or dog) lives!" :D

AGREED! :thumbsup:

LK
Ladykat

Postby hamlet » Mon Nov 07, 2016 7:48 am

And that is why I cry, every single time, when I watch Dances With Wolves.

That, and Kevin Costner's "acting." :P

Just went to the theater for the first time in a long time yesterday with Mrs. H. We saw Doctor Strange and LOVED it. Fantastic flick even if you're not entirely a Marvel fan. A fair number of good Sherlock references in there if you're watching, but not so many that they detract from the overall film.
hamlet
Ringbearer

Postby Ladykat » Mon Nov 07, 2016 10:07 pm

Ohh, yes! Must see Dr. Strange!

Maybe this coming weekend.

LK
Ladykat

Postby hamlet » Tue Nov 15, 2016 7:41 am

>-O :angry:

*mumble grumble mumble* stupid idiot home owner before me *grumble*

Just discovered this weekend that the previous owner of the house I now live in was a complete and total moron. He expanded his driveway - which is all well and good since it gives us two parking spaces and was one of the reasons we bought the house - but did so by building a home made stacked stone retaining wall which he just plastered loosely over with some quick cement to make it look cool and fool the inspectors. Now, a couple years later, my driveway has slide into the neighbor's front yard. :angry: >-O :angry: >-O :angry: :angry: :angry: :x

Now I have to get this all fixed, of course, and we can't even begin to guess how much it'll cost, much less how much cleaning it all out of the neighbor's yard will cost.

We just thank God that none of her grandkids were playing out there when it decided to go out.
hamlet
Ringbearer

Postby Ladykat » Tue Nov 15, 2016 8:24 am

hamlet----ARE YOU SERIOUS!??!? :shock: :shock:

What a total moron! Some people are too stupid to live.

You're right, it's a good thing no one was hurt.

LK
Ladykat

Postby IrisBrandybuck » Tue Nov 15, 2016 10:45 am

some people's kids, eh? :roll:

IrisBrandybuck

Postby hamlet » Tue Nov 15, 2016 11:55 am

We're lucky it was caught when it was. Otherwise, it could have damaged the house itself. I'm just really annoyed, deeply, that these little things keep popping up. This guy knew enough to know what he was doing was wrong, but was too cheap to pay to have it done properly or at least get advice on how to do it right. We're left picking up the pieces at not inconsequential cost. If I'd known these things ahead of time (stupid jerk inspector was freakin' blind!) I'd never have bought the place and settled for living in a condo/townhome instead. Would have cost us less in the long run.

Hopefully the contractor can come in under $2000. Or maybe $4000. I hope.
hamlet
Ringbearer

Postby IrisBrandybuck » Tue Nov 15, 2016 8:47 pm

If you didn't live so far away, I'd offer my husband and his coworkers...they build cabinets but do other stuff...like walls, etc. And then we could have tea while watching them work. ;)

Good luck, Hamlet...eventually you'll run out of these things...and come across things that have just worn out from your usage. It never ends. :roll:

IrisBrandybuck

Postby hamlet » Wed Nov 16, 2016 7:51 am

Yeah, I experienced that in my old house. That one was really in a good position when I left it: lots of new parts, new(ish) furnace and water heater, well done bathroom etc. The only thing that broke in the end was one tile in the bathroom and the ceiling fan in the bedroom, which I'm convinced was broken by the inspector because it worked just fine the morning of and then didn't after he left.

This new house . . . well . . . lots of "improvements" made on the home, but none of them done properly. We discover new things every day. All the floors are uneven. And I mean ALL of them. The ductwork for the heat/ac is just wonky and I have to get an AC guy in to look at it in the new year. The 2nd bathroom they installed is just . . . not right. Floor tiles are all loose and it's so tiny that anybody over 5'6" has to be super careful in there not to put holes in the walls. And it just goes on that way.

Sorry, I'm not trying to rant, it's just on my mind right now. Maybe won't end up staying in the house much longer if we can put ourselves in a slightly better financial position to find something a little better with more storage and room for family should one be decided upon.

Otherwise, doing ok. We got some much needed rain yesterday, though not nearly enough in the end. Thanksgiving is right around the corner and we're all planning that and what to make with the added wrinkle that Mrs. H is, at the moment, GF and DF so we have to find ways around that: not hard, really, just takes planning. Christmas is going to be here sooner than it has a right to be and, if the malls are anything to be believed, is already here. There has to be a law about putting up Christmas decorations and playing carols before Halloween. Seriously.
hamlet
Ringbearer

Postby Ladykat » Wed Nov 16, 2016 9:40 am

hamlet wrote:There has to be a law about putting up Christmas decorations and playing carols before Halloween. Seriously.

No unfortunately there isn't. I wish.

LK
Ladykat

Postby oldtoby » Fri Nov 18, 2016 2:49 pm

Im sure thats on Trumps agenda
oldtoby
Ringbearer

Postby IrisBrandybuck » Sat Nov 19, 2016 2:38 pm

hamlet...I've never purchased a house, but it seems to me you should be able to go to the realtor and tell them the condition of the house was misrepresented. In fact, I'm willing to be there are laws that would address that, but again, I don't know. :hug:

I've been driving people nuts...I started wearing Christmas stuff the day after Halloween. This is NOT normal for me. I'm either delusional or...nuts. :P

IrisBrandybuck

Postby Ladykat » Sat Nov 19, 2016 4:40 pm

IrisBrandybuck wrote:. I'm either delusional or...nuts.

Or both. :D

The radio stations around here have started their non-stop Christmas music. Started it yesterday as a matter of fact.

Now don't get me wrong, I LIKE Christmas music, I just don't like being force fed it before Thanksgiving has even come.

And they tend to play the same songs over....and over.....and over.....and over..... :x

Sometimes they'll pull out something that doesn't get a lot of airtime, but it's rare. And if they DO do something like that, you'll be lucky if you hear the song once during the entire season. I remember once I called a radio station requesting they play a certain Christmas song, and the female DJ refused. Why? Because they had played that particular song at 8:00 am that morning. (Mind you, it was now 2:00 in the afternoon.) She said they weren't allowed to play songs again "that soon." :?

Yet they will play Frosty, or Rudolph or Santa Claus is Coming to Town six time in a couple of hours, but because all the versions they play are by different artists, that makes it OK! :roll:

No it isn't, Not really.

Thank goodness for Pandora.

LK
Ladykat

Postby hamlet » Mon Nov 21, 2016 9:30 am

Non-stop Christmas Carols started here a while ago. I just turned the radio off entirely and drive to and from work in silence. I can't take a month+ of Christmas before I get homicidal.

Still living the nightmare of the driveway and retaining wall. Two different contractors disagree vehemently about what actually has to happen and have two wildly different prices. Not sure whom to believe at this point and not sure we actually want to stay in the house given what we now know. Blargh.

And no, there aren't laws. It's largely a case of Caveat Emptor. We had an inspection done, even if the inspector was mind bogglingly stupid and lazy.
hamlet
Ringbearer

Postby Ladykat » Tue Nov 22, 2016 10:17 pm

I ride the bus to and from work, but I do listen to the radio in the morning. It's a morning talk show, so that's OK. I'm at work long before the music starts.

Then I turn on Pandora.

Mainly because the person at the desk nearest mine keeps her radio on the happy-sappy Christmas music, and if I don't have something else playing, I can hear her radio.

I have to tune it out. As hamlet said, homicidal.

LK
Ladykat

Postby Ladykat » Thu Dec 08, 2016 8:25 pm

They're talking snow this weekend. :x

And they keep upping the ante---first it was a trace to one inch, then two to four inches, now it's four to six! :bang:

And I REALLY need to go to my sister's this weekend. She wants to get my nephew's Christmas gifts sent out so hopefully he'll get them by Christmas, and I have to take her my gift for him.

I don't know what the roads will be like, but I know there are a lot of idiots around here who, from year to year, FORGET HOW TO DRIVE IN THE SNOW!!! :hair:

I really do hate winter! :angry:

LK
Ladykat

Postby Ninui » Sun Dec 11, 2016 3:55 pm

Ninui
Ranger of the North

Postby Ladykat » Fri Dec 16, 2016 2:12 pm

Hey, nice decorations Ninui! :thumbsup:

That's a lot more than I can do at my place.

LK
Ladykat

Postby Ninui » Sat Dec 17, 2016 3:36 pm

Ninui
Ranger of the North

Postby Ladykat » Sat Dec 17, 2016 5:28 pm

Nice!!!

I've seen homes with a lot of outside decorations like that, and it always makes me wonder....

Where do they keep all that stuff the rest of the year??? :Q :D

LK
Ladykat

PreviousNext

Return to Talk: The Bird and the Baby