The Official Quenya Translation Thread II

Tolkien's worlds were birthed out of his love of language and his work at creating new ones. Enter into discussions surrounding Tolkien's languages.

Re: The Official Quenya Translation Thread II

Postby Almatolmen » Wed Nov 16, 2016 8:47 am

With some indication of reflwivity, this seems to be close to the intent of proud:

Qenya
sinte
n. esteem; estimate, computation
[QL/085.2001, QL/085.2004, QL/085.2006]
Almatolmen
Mariner

Postby Gladhaniel » Fri Nov 18, 2016 4:53 am

DarkLittleHobbit:

Hi there. :)

No problem, I'd love to help you out!

Almatolmen wrote:With some indication of reflwivity, this seems to be close to the intent of proud:

Qenya
sinte
n. esteem; estimate, computation
[QL/085.2001, QL/085.2004, QL/085.2006]

Bringing in the notion of esteem is a great idea! :) However, the definition of sinte as meaning esteem, estimate, computation suggests it refers to a mathematical/technical kind of estimate as opposed to self-esteem, so I'm afraid we can't really use it in this context. As for rendering proud as "great-hearted," it's also quite an interesting idea. I suggest:

melehta/meletya mighty + honda hearted = melehtahonda/meletyahonda "mighty-hearted"

Another option with a very different effect would involve the synonym happy (which brings in another aspect of pride but unfortunately doesn't really encompass the meaning of the word as a whole).

Here are therefore the two options I recommend for you, DarkLittleHobbit. You will see many words between [...] and {...}: these are several alternatives you have for mighty-hearted, little and happy. They all mean the same thing, so you can choose whichever you prefer. Please don't hesitate to ask if you have any questions or need clarifications!

(1) [Melehtahonda/meletyahonda] {pia/pitya/picina/pincë/nitya/níca/titta} Perian
[Mighty-hearted] {little} hobbit

(2) [Valima/valin] {pia/pitya/picina/pincë/nitya/níca/titta} Perian
[Happy] {little} hobbit

Thanks for your ideas, Alma! :)
Gladhaniel
Rider of the Mark

Postby Almatolmen » Sat Nov 26, 2016 11:27 pm

The English word of esteem is obviously connected to estimate: esteem is one of estimation of the value of others or one's self-worth, so in and of themselves I don't think that the "mathematical" associations in and of themselves would eliminate sinte from consideration.
Almatolmen
Mariner

Postby Nephya » Tue Feb 28, 2017 8:36 am

Bonjour Gladhaniel,
Pourrais-tu me traduire "Papa" et "Père" en Quenya s'il te plait ?

Merci ! :)
Nephya
Petitioner to the Council

Postby Gladhaniel » Thu Mar 09, 2017 1:45 am

Bonjour Nephya,

Je suis tellement désolée pour le délai, pour une raison que j'ignore je n'avais pas vu votre message avant maintenant! :(

atar father / père
atto father, daddy / père, papa
atya daddy, (my) father / papa, (mon) père
ataryo daddy / papa
taryo daddy / papa
Gladhaniel
Rider of the Mark

Postby MithLuin » Sat Apr 08, 2017 8:20 pm

Hello! I am working on a Quenya translation of Zephaniah 1:15-16. The idea is to set it to the tune of the chant for the 'Dies Irae,' so I am trying to maintain 8-syllable phrases. An exact literal translation isn't necessary, so long as it conveys the basic meaning.

Dies iræ, dies illa, dies tribulationis et angustiæ, dies calamitatis et miseriæ, dies tenebrarum et caliginis, dies nebulæ et turbinis, dies tubæ et clangoris super civitates munitas et super angulos excelsos. (Which is the Latin Vulgate version of Zephaniah 1:15-16)
"That day is a day of wrath, a day of tribulation and distress, a day of calamity and misery, a day of darkness and obscurity, a day of clouds and whirlwinds, a day of the trumpet and alarm against the fenced cities, and against the high bulwarks." (Being the Douay–Rheims Bible translation of the same passage)

And the chant (which is not that full passage): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dsn9LWh230k

Alternately, I could use the music from this piece: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WFDABe4cl3E
Then, the syllable count could be: 8-12-8-12-13-12-9-12- or something. In other words, longer phrases are possible.

Here is my attempt at a translation - I would appreciate any feedback you can offer. Thank you!

Aurë rúsëo, aurenna,
(The) Day of Wrath, upon the day, ​

Aurë paimëo [ar] caurëo,
a day of punishment [and] of fear,​

Norto ar angayassëo,
(a day) of horror and misery,​

Aurë lomëo ar mordo,
a day of darkness and (of) dimness,​

Lumboro [ar] vaiwo hwinyala,
(a day) of dark clouds [and] of swirling wind,​

Aurë rombaron [ar] rómaron
A day of horns [and] of trumpet blasts

Ostorinna [ar] pélorinna.
against the walled cities, [and] against the fenced heights.
MithLuin
Mariner

Postby Gladhaniel » Sun Apr 09, 2017 1:53 am

MithLuin:

Hello! :)

Thank you for this very interesting request. It was a pleasure to look over your translation. In my opinion, you were quite successful in playing with your translation to make it fit the 8 syllables of the chant!

I don't have much to add, except for the fact that I'd use the possessive case (sing. -va/-wa and pl. -iva) instead of the genitive case throughout. The possessive is used to describe attributes, materials, abstracts, actions and so on, which I find fits the instances in your excerpt rather closely; and we have the attested example Mar Vanwa Tyaliéva "Cottage of Lost Play" which shows the possessive being used in a similar way. The genitive would imply a relationship of origin or of being part of something, which I don't believe works here. Making the change would give us the following lines:

(1) Aurë rúseva, aurenna,
(2) Aurë paimeva [ar] caureva,
(3) Nortova [ar] angayasseva,
(4) Aurë lomeva [ar] mordova,
(5) Lumboiva [ar] hwinyala vaiwava,
(6) Aurë rombaiva [ar] rómaiva,
(7) Ostonnar [ar] pélorinnar.

In (3) and (4), ar needs to be removed in order for the modified line to fit the 8 syllable pattern.

In (5), I changed the word order so as to reflect that in Mar Vanwa Tyaliéva ("Cottage Lost Play-of"). However, with the changes made, we end up with one extra syllable. To solve this problem, perhaps you could remove the adjective hwinyala and add aurë at the beginning of the line, thus: Aurë lumboiva [ar] vaiwava. You could also substitute vaiwava by súriva — in my opinion, that would sound better.

As for (7), I fixed the plural allative endings which are supposed to be -(i)nnar added to the noun in the singular (in this case, osto and presumably pelór). However, I'm actually not quite sure whether the allative is the appropriate case in this context. It expresses movement towards something, but is that what the text is supposed to mean?
Gladhaniel
Rider of the Mark

Postby MithLuin » Sun Apr 09, 2017 5:15 pm

Thank you very much for such a prompt reply!

I admit to being a complete novice with Quenya, so determining which case to use wasn't obvious to me. I agree with you that possessive works better than genitive for what is being conveyed - I mistakenly thought possessive was only for 'ownership'. As for the final line, it's meant to convey an attack - the sound of the horns is the sound of the attack being launched against the walls. So...'against' rather than 'in the direction of' but still movement towards, so....maybe? I don't suppose there is a clear way to convey 'in opposition to'?

Súriva is better. There is also a word hwindë (whirlpool), so if that can be adapted to whirlwind in some way...?
MithLuin
Mariner

Postby Gladhaniel » Tue Apr 11, 2017 11:16 am

MithLuin wrote:Thank you very much for such a prompt reply!

I admit to being a complete novice with Quenya, so determining which case to use wasn't obvious to me. I agree with you that possessive works better than genitive for what is being conveyed - I mistakenly thought possessive was only for 'ownership'. As for the final line, it's meant to convey an attack - the sound of the horns is the sound of the attack being launched against the walls. So...'against' rather than 'in the direction of' but still movement towards, so....maybe? I don't suppose there is a clear way to convey 'in opposition to'?

Súriva is better. There is also a word hwindë (whirlpool), so if that can be adapted to whirlwind in some way...?

The allative case can also mean against, so I think it fits perfectly in this context based on the description you gave. :)

I've never really felt comfortable making up words in Quenya, so I'm sorry, I don't know how I could try to make hwindë into whirlwind. I'm not aware of there being words or roots I could isolate from the word to create something new. :(
Gladhaniel
Rider of the Mark

Postby ThatAroAceGal » Sun Jun 11, 2017 5:59 pm

Hello!

My friend and I want matching tattoos in Elvish saying "Eternal sisters". I understand this translation may be tricky, as I've tried doing it myself and wanted to run by someone what I had to see if it was correct. So far I've got six possibilities:

Onórë aira
Onórë írë
Onónë aira
Onónë írë
Nésa aira
Nésa írë

Myself I'm partial to nésa írë, but if any of these are more correct (or if they're all completely off base and there's a better one out there), please let me know! Thank you :D
ThatAroAceGal

Postby Gladhaniel » Sun Jun 11, 2017 10:00 pm

ThatAroAceGal:

Hi and thank you for your message! :)

➤ The most usual word order in Quenya is adjective + noun. Noun + adjective (which you used in your translation) is mostly used in names or in poetry, or to emphasize the adjective. So you can keep the word order as it is, but only if eternal is meant to be underlined.
Nésa is from a later source and might replace onórë and onónë. For that reason, I'd privilege using nésa over the other two.
➤ In the plural, onórëonóri, onónëonóni and nésanésar.
Aira seems to be outdated, and írë is actually a noun and not an adjective. I'd use oira (pl. oirë) or oialëa (pl. oialië) instead.

So here's what I would suggest:

Nésar oirë
Nésar oialië

And, if you don't mind using onórë and onónë:

Onóri oirë
Onóri oialië
Onóni oirë
Onóni oialië

Please don't hesitate to ask if you have any questions. :)
Gladhaniel
Rider of the Mark

Postby MithLuin » Thu Apr 12, 2018 1:07 pm

Hi, it's me again!

I'm now working on translating the Oath of Fëanor. I've only done the first part thus far, but wanted to run it by you for advice.

(1)Be he foe or friend, [be he foul or clean],

Náto var notto var seron
or
Násië cotto hya meldo
[I consider the second phrase redundant/superfluous, so left it out.]

(2)brood of Morgoth or bright Vala,

Arauco Moringotto hya Vala calima
[I am okay with substituting 'demon of Morgoth' for 'brood of Morgoth' here.]

(3)Elda or Maia or Aftercomer,

Elda hya Maia hya Apanóna

(4)Man yet unborn upon Middle-earth,

Hildor Endorenna (man) uiënte onostier
[I am *super* unsure about this grammar! I was trying to say '(they) have not been begotten' and thought it might be 'uantë onostier' or 'uiënte onontier,' but I really don't know.]

(5)neither law, nor love, nor league of swords,

Alvar axan, alvar melme, alvar tiriste maciliva
or
Lá axan, hya lá melme, hya lá tiriste maciliva

(6)dread nor danger, not Doom itself,

Lá thossë, hya lá raxë, hya lá Umbar insa

(7)shall defend him from Fëanor, and Fëanor's kin,

U-antuva cauma Fëanárolla ar Anonillon Fëanáro
[I mean to say, 'will not give protection from Fëanor and from Fëanor's Sons.]

(8)whoso hideth or hoardeth, or in hand taketh,

Man nurtea hya auta haurasse hya mapea nondasse

Thoughts or advice on this translation thus far? Thank you!
MithLuin
Mariner

Postby Gladhaniel » Fri Apr 13, 2018 8:16 am

Hi MithLuin, thank you for dropping by! :)

MithLuin wrote:(1)Be he foe or friend, [be he foul or clean],

Náto var notto var seron
or
Násië cotto hya meldo
[I consider the second phrase redundant/superfluous, so left it out.]

I believe I'd go with your second option (which nicely reflects the structure of line nr. 2), except I'd say qui (nás) "if he/it is" at the beginning. :)

By the way, I found this translation of the Oath of the Fëanorians which renders "be" as nai in the first line. Although I find that an interesting choice, I don't feel that nai as the expression of a wish of some kind fits the context here - so I'd rather not use it.

MithLuin wrote:(4)Man yet unborn upon Middle-earth,

Hildor Endorenna (man) uiënte onostier
[I am *super* unsure about this grammar! I was trying to say '(they) have not been begotten' and thought it might be 'uantë onostier' or 'uiënte onontier,' but I really don't know.]

This seems correct to me! :) I would simply replace man by i. Leaving out the relative pronoun altogether would make the line into a full independant sentence, so in my opinion it'd be best to include i to reflect the way the original line is phrased. I would also put it before Endorenna, so that the line reads "Men who have not been begotten upon Middle-earth" as opposed to "Men upon Middle-earth who have not been begotten."

MithLuin wrote:(5)neither law, nor love, nor league of swords,

Alvar axan, alvar melme, alvar tiriste maciliva
or
Lá axan, hya lá melme, hya lá tiriste maciliva

I found a few sources (including the translation mentioned earlier and this page) which render neither ... nor as ilar, i.e. il- no, not + ar and. I'm not sure it's been attested, but I find it an interesting option. You'd just need to substitute alvar for it in your translation.

MithLuin wrote:(7)shall defend him from Fëanor, and Fëanor's kin,

U-antuva cauma Fëanárolla ar Anonillon Fëanáro
[I mean to say, 'will not give protection from Fëanor and from Fëanor's Sons.]

I would have "give protection" in the affirmative as opposed to the negative (antuva instead of u-antuva), since it needs to be "Neither ... nor ... will give protection."

The ablative form of Fëanáro is Fëanárollo, the ending in the singular being -(e)llo.

MithLuin wrote:(8)whoso hideth or hoardeth, or in hand taketh,

Man nurtea hya auta haurasse hya mapea nondasse

This is a personal choice, but I believe I'd translate hoardeth as something like harya haura "possess a hoard." As for your rendering of "in hand taketh," I find it quite literal, but I don't know how else to translate and I'm hoping such a formulation might be acceptable in Quenya. :)

In addition, I think I'd put all the verbs here in the aorist tense, thus nurta, harya and mapa. And I'd use ye instead of man, similarly to nr. 4 but in the singular form to accurately reflect the original poem.
Gladhaniel
Rider of the Mark

Postby MithLuin » Thu Apr 19, 2018 4:20 pm

Gladhaniel, that's great! Thank you so much!

Yes, I had seen that other translation, but it was in a weird book Quenya and I wanted to do this differently. It has frustrated me for awhile that that is the only version of the Oath available (that I have seen). I agree with you that 'nai' gives the wrong sense in the first line. There is no 'may' about it! Much more, 'Amen, amen, I say to you....'
I also found a partial translation here: https://quenya101.com/2014/07/15/oath-o ... in-quenya/
Thank you for helping me develop my own translation.

So now I have:

Qui nás cotto hya meldo
Hildor i uiënte onostier Endorenna
Ilar axan, ilar melme, ilar tiriste maciliva
Ilar thossë, ilar raxë, ilar Umbar insa
antuva cauma Fëanárollo ar Anonillon Fëanáro

*Ye nurta hya harya haura hya mapa nondasse

And the second half would be:

(9) Finding keepeth or afar casteth
Hiriessë harya hya háya hatë

This line is taken directly from the source linked above: https://quenya101.com/2014/07/15/oath-o ... in-quenya/

(10) a Silmaril. This swear we all:
Silmaril. Vanda sina maitalmë:

I was hoping to work a sense of 'each of us' into this, perhaps using 'ilya', but in the end didn't make it work.

(11) death we will deal him ere Day's ending,
Firië mahtuvalmes fai ré-metta,

(12) woe unto world's end! Our word hear thou,
nainië tenn' Ambar-metta! Vandalma hlara

(13) Eru Allfather! To the everlasting/ Darkness
Eru Ilúvatar! Oiala lúmenna

I split this line differently to keep it from being too short, and because 'darkness' will no longer alliterate with the rest of line (13)

(14) doom us if our deed faileth.
á húta mé cénai cardalma loita

(15) On the holy mountain hear in witness
*Oiolossessë hlara ar á astar

I suppose 'stand by' is a bit superfluous, but oaths need someone to witness them, so I didn't want to leave that out.

(16) and our vow remember, Manwë and Varda!"
Ar vandalma termar enyalien, Manwë Vardayë!

I wasn't really sure what to do about 'remember' here...

* These lines seem difficult to pronounce. I might try to change something so a speaker would be less likely to trip over saying this. Tolkien did some really cool things with alliteration in the original which I have (for the most part) failed to duplicate, but these might be overdoing it. I would be willing to have a less literal translation if it sounded better. I also realize that Fëanor would have kept the 'th' on some words because of the shibboleth, so I do have to go back and check if I have any of those in here. Hmmm, maybe I could use rúsë for 'wrath' instead of 'woe' just to have an excuse to write 'rúþë' :P

Anyway, thank you again for your assistance with this project!
MithLuin
Mariner

Postby Gladhaniel » Fri Apr 20, 2018 11:11 pm

Hi again, thanks for your message! :)

Unfortunately, I'm very busy with university and work these days, so I probably won't get around to looking at your translation before next Monday or Tuesday - but I promise I'll be as quick as I can. Just so you know I'm not ignoring you or anything!

Have a good weekend. :)
Gladhaniel
Rider of the Mark

Postby MithLuin » Sat Apr 21, 2018 7:21 am

Oh, no worries, please take your time!
MithLuin
Mariner

Postby Gladhaniel » Fri Apr 27, 2018 7:35 am

Hello again! Thank you for your patience, and I hope the following will be helpful. :)

MithLuin wrote:(10) a Silmaril. This swear we all:
Silmaril. Vanda sina maitalmë:

I was hoping to work a sense of 'each of us' into this, perhaps using 'ilya', but in the end didn't make it work.

This is good! :) However, maita- is for the making of artistic work specifically; in this case, I'd rather go with the more general word for make car- (thus carilmë here). The translation on Quenya101 that you provided does use ilyë to express "(we) all," as you also considered - but I'm not sure how correct that is, since ilyë is usually used in conjunction with plural nouns. I'd leave it out, if I were you.

MithLuin wrote:(11) death we will deal him ere Day's ending,
Firië mahtuvalmes fai ré-metta,

Just make sure to spell the first word fírië. :)

Also, I see what your thinking was with adding -s at the end of mahtuvalmë to express him. But in this case we want to say the Day's ending will be dealt to him (indirect object instead of direct object), which requires us to use the dative case. That gives us mahtuvalmë sena (se him + dative -n, attested in "long dative" variant sena in {VT49:14}).

MithLuin wrote:(12) woe unto world's end! Our word hear thou,
nainië tenn' Ambar-metta! Vandalma hlara

I'd render hear in the imperative as á hlarë - and I'd put it at the beginning of the sentence, before vandalma.

MithLuin wrote:(15) On the holy mountain hear in witness
*Oiolossessë hlara ar á astar
I suppose 'stand by' is a bit superfluous, but oaths need someone to witness them, so I didn't want to leave that out.

To avoid the awkward repetition in -ssessë, I would recommend taking out the locative ending and replacing it by the independant preposition mi instead. Hopefully that's going to help a bit with the flow of the line, which you were a bit dissatisfied with!

With á astar, did you want to say "be witness"? If so, I'd say ná astarmo.

Finally, don't forget the á in á hlara for the imperative. :)

MithLuin wrote:(16) and our vow remember, Manwë and Varda!"
Ar vandalma termar enyalien, Manwë Vardayë!

I wasn't really sure what to do about 'remember' here...

I'd simply express "and remember our vow" as ar á enyalë vandalma. :) Also, you can keep Varda as it is since it's already in Quenya.
Gladhaniel
Rider of the Mark

Postby MithLuin » Fri Apr 27, 2018 1:56 pm

Great! Thank you so much! It really helps immensely to get new eyes on what I'm working on, and it's so encouraging to see that some of my choices make sense to someone who understands the language much better than I do. :)

A few comments...

I agree that "á hlarë" would be the standard way to say "hear" in the imperative. I was wondering if it might be a special case, though, like "look"? So if that would be "ela," is it possible that "hear" would be "hlara"? Or maybe thinking of "look" and "listen" the same way is an English thing, and I should not try to take that idea into Quenya.

For "Manwë Vardayë!" I was trying to express "Manwë and Varda" as a matched set. I forget where I saw an example of this, but here is what I was trying to use: http://www.eldamo.org/content/words/wor ... 60551.html
But maybe I should just have written Manwë yo Varda?

I guess I did want at least something in this to be reminiscent of Cirion's Oath from Unfinished Tales, if possible, but I suppose it's not really quite similar enough. Other than the word 'oath', lol!
vanda sina termaruva Elenna·nóreo alcar enyalien
ar Elendil Vorondo voronwë
nai tiruvantes i hárar mahalmassen mi Númen
ar i Eru i or ilyë mahalmar ëa tennoio

So that leaves the final result as:

Qui nás cotto hya meldo (1)
Ilar axan, ilar melme, ilar tiriste maciliva (5)
Ye nurta hya harya haura hya mapa nondasse
Silmaril. Vanda sina carilmë: (10)
Fírië mahtuvalme sena fai ré-metta,
rúþë tenn' Ambar-metta! Á hlarë vandalma
Mi Oiolossë á hlara ar ná astarmo (15)
ar á enyalë vandalma, Manwë yo Varda!

I like the repetition of 'ilar,' and the giant mess of h's in the middle is growing on me. The lines that were too awkward to say you've really smoothed out, so it might not matter that I don't have quite the alliteration that Tolkien worked into the original.
MithLuin
Mariner

Postby Gladhaniel » Sun Apr 29, 2018 6:00 am

You're very welcome! I'm glad you're happy with the translation. :)

MithLuin wrote:I agree that "á hlarë" would be the standard way to say "hear" in the imperative. I was wondering if it might be a special case, though, like "look"? So if that would be "ela," is it possible that "hear" would be "hlara"? Or maybe thinking of "look" and "listen" the same way is an English thing, and I should not try to take that idea into Quenya.

That's an interesting point! :) As far as I understand, ela is not a standard imperative form, but rather an interjection which can only be used by itself (ela! behold!). In our case, since we have an object ("our word hear thou"), I think we should use the standard imperative.

MithLuin wrote:For "Manwë Vardayë!" I was trying to express "Manwë and Varda" as a matched set. I forget where I saw an example of this, but here is what I was trying to use: http://www.eldamo.org/content/words/wor ... 60551.html
But maybe I should just have written Manwë yo Varda?

Ah yes, I'm sorry, that was good thinking on your part! :) For some reason I missed the "and" bit when revising your translation haha. Both Manwë Vardayë and Manwë ya Varda are correct.

MithLuin wrote:Qui nás cotto hya meldo (1)
rúþë tenn' Ambar-metta! Á hlarë vandalma
Mi Oiolossë á hlara ar ná astarmo (15)
ar á enyalë vandalma, Manwë yo Varda!

All this looks fine to me! I only just noticed one thing in line 4:

The -ntë ending isn't necessary since we already have Hildor as the subject, so I'd take it out.
Gladhaniel
Rider of the Mark

Postby MithLuin » Sun Apr 29, 2018 8:54 am

Okay, thank you! I've added some alliteration into the first line to mimic 'friend or foe'.

Final version:

Qui nás notto hya nildo (1)
Hildor i uië onostier Endorenna
Antuva cauma Fëanárollo ar Anonillon Fëanáro
Rúþë tenn' Ambar-metta! Á hlarë vandalma
Á húta mé cénai cardalma loita
Mi Oiolossë á hlarë ar ná astarmo (15)
Ar á enyalë vandalma, Manwë Vardayë!
MithLuin
Mariner

Postby Gladhaniel » Thu May 03, 2018 12:42 am

This looks good to me. :) I'm sorry again for taking so long to respond, hope you've been having a good week!
Gladhaniel
Rider of the Mark

Postby Eowyn93 » Wed Aug 15, 2018 11:02 pm

Hi everyone!
I've been looking a translation in quenya of a very famous quote from Carl Sagan, but I cannot find it anywhere.
Can you please help me translating "we are all made of star stuff"?
Thank you very much for your help, and for sharing your knowledge with us.
Eowyn93

Previous

Return to Language