Something I noticed which makes no sense

The Hobbit is in production as 3 separate films, and will be released 1 year apart, with the first due December 2012. Head in to discuss your thoughts and reactions, and post any questions you might have about these films.

Something I noticed which makes no sense

Postby MisterNazgul » Tue Dec 20, 2016 1:41 pm

In An unexpected journey, one of the dwarves (possibly thorin, I don't remember) says that azog dies from loosing his arm, possibly from an infection (which may actually be true, as sting doesn't glow when azog is near, which probably means the necromancer/sauron resurrected him). However, if azog supposedly died from being amputated, how did Bolg manage not to die when he had all the metalwork nailed into his flesh? Orcs didn't have antiseptic or anything like that, so is he being kept alive by some dark magic or is he just very lucky
MisterNazgul
Petitioner to the Council

Re: Something I noticed which makes no sense

Postby solicitr » Wed Dec 21, 2016 10:30 am

Considering that all of this stuff was invented by Peter Jackson, one wouldn't expect it to make any sense, any more than the appearance of Shai-Hulud from Dune.
solicitr
Ranger of the North

Postby Old_Begonia » Mon Dec 26, 2016 11:00 pm

I really had a hard time following that too. The only evidence WE get in the movie of Azog's demise was the loss of his arm. There may have been additional information to which Thorin was privy, and to which we are not. Perhaps there was subsequent rumor of the death of Azog. Still, taking it at face value, we have a pretty serious trauma.

Now, Thorin, being someone who has apparently done a bit of fighting and has, presumably, some experience in the survivability of certain wounds...might reasonably anticipate that something as catastrophic as the loss of a limb would most likely be lethal.

We, who have read the books, remember the application, by the Uruk-hai, of some sort of salve to Merry's head wound and are thus aware that the orcs, or some part of their culture, have medicine of a sort, and from what we see in TTT, it's quite effective. So WE know that the loss of a limb might not necessarily lead to death for an orc, though perhaps for a dwarf or man, it would. HOWEVER...

Thorin will not have read the books, :P , so it seems reasonable to me for him to suppose this enemy is dead.
"And it is said by the Eldar that in water there lives yet the echo of the Music of the Ainur more than in any substance else that is in this Earth; and many of the Children of Ilúvatar hearken still unsated to the voices of the Sea, and yet know not for what they listen."

There is something profound about standing AT sea level.
Old_Begonia
"Old"...hmpf, if they only knew...

Postby MisterNazgul » Thu Jan 05, 2017 5:49 am

Old_Begonia wrote:We, who have read the books, remember the application, by the Uruk-hai, of some sort of salve to Merry's head wound and are thus aware that the orcs, or some part of their culture, have medicine of a sort, and from what we see in TTT, it's quite effective. So WE know that the loss of a limb might not necessarily lead to death for an orc, though perhaps for a dwarf or man, it would. HOWEVER...

I know that, but do only the Uruk-hai know the medicine or do all orcs
MisterNazgul

Postby Old_Begonia » Wed Jan 11, 2017 8:44 pm

I don't honestly KNOW the answer to that? But I get the sense that, yes, primitive as it may be, there is at least some notion of how to go about dealing with trauma and infection. I think it's INFERRED rather than stated clearly.
"And it is said by the Eldar that in water there lives yet the echo of the Music of the Ainur more than in any substance else that is in this Earth; and many of the Children of Ilúvatar hearken still unsated to the voices of the Sea, and yet know not for what they listen."

There is something profound about standing AT sea level.
Old_Begonia
"Old"...hmpf, if they only knew...

Postby Hasan006 » Thu Jul 13, 2017 8:30 pm

It's fantasy for God's sake, no need to nitpick on such things
Hasan006

Return to Movies - The Hobbit