Books you hated and everyone else loved.

What other authors do Tolkien fans enjoy? Come on in and enter into a broadened conversation on the great literature of this and other times.

Re: Books you hated and everyone else loved.

Postby Felarof » Tue Feb 28, 2017 11:02 am

I like Jane Eyre. I re-read it every couple of years. I'm not familiar with the rest of Charlotte's work. I know I read The Professor many years ago, and found it okay, but I've never felt the urge to go back to it.
Felarof
Petitioner to the Council

Postby IrisBrandybuck » Thu Mar 02, 2017 7:47 am

I've not read any other of Charlotte's novels, though I have a copy of Villete somewhere.

<------ The TVM is going on vacation!

Cats were once worshiped in Egypt. They have never forgotten this.

"They ask me what I'd like written about me when I'm gone. I hope they write I made Penn State a better place, not just that I was a good football coach." -- Joe Paterno
IrisBrandybuck
I can't brain today. I have the dumb.

Postby Cock-Robin » Tue Sep 25, 2018 3:43 pm

It is so amazing! I have never met [b]anybody[b] who liked Catcher in the Rye, so why do teachers force it on the kids. As Pink Floyd sings: Teacher, leave those kids alone!"

I just got through reading Mark Twain's A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court, I had heard it was a classic, but it was boring to me. It turned the Arthur story, which I immensely like, inside out. :nono: I was glad to finish it and put it away. For all time.

Come on, kiddies, pet the nice mechanical vampire reindeer. We won't bite...much...hahahahahooo!

Meneldor, Warrior Bard, and Brondgast, Mithril Knights

Gwaeryn and Robin, The Expected Party

Meneldor, Alatar and Pallando, Darkness Reigns: The Resistance

Warrior Bard
Cock-Robin
Friend of Eagles

Postby Thor 'n' Oakenshield » Tue Sep 25, 2018 5:19 pm

Catcher in the Rye is AWFUL, in my opinion. I honestly couldn't stand that book.
Everything by Robert Heinlein, too. In fact, lots of old sci-fi bothers me. The Forever War, my dad forced me to read that one, I hated it (mainly because of the way it portrayed homosexuals).
Thor 'n' Oakenshield
Shield Bearer

Postby IrisBrandybuck » Wed Sep 26, 2018 7:11 pm

CR: Try "Innocents Abroad." Keep in mind if you read it, though, that he's very sarcastic and prone to hyperbole. If you keep both of those things in mind, it's not too bad.

<------ The TVM is going on vacation!

Cats were once worshiped in Egypt. They have never forgotten this.

"They ask me what I'd like written about me when I'm gone. I hope they write I made Penn State a better place, not just that I was a good football coach." -- Joe Paterno
IrisBrandybuck
I can't brain today. I have the dumb.

Postby Thor 'n' Oakenshield » Sun Sep 30, 2018 11:05 am

Though it's been said many times, Dune is another one that I just couldn't do. I actually thought I would like it, and then it just go so bad! I was shocked. I honestly can't remember any of the plot of Dune Messiah, and I seem to recall that the characters I did like ended up dying in Children of Dune. After that I quit the series. Those books were a disappointment.
And Robert Jordan, and everything he wrote :angry: was even worse. Worse by far. So awful.
Thor 'n' Oakenshield
Shield Bearer

Previous

Return to The Books (Other Authors)