What would Tolkien have thought of the movies?

Fans of the movies? Love those actors; How about the characters? Come here to discuss all forms of fandom surrounding Peter Jackson's Lord of the Rings.

What would Tolkien have thought of the movies?

Postby TadCornell » Tue Feb 10, 2015 5:52 pm

Hi, I'm doing a school project for my ENG102 class and my research question is "what would J.R.R Tolkien think of Peter Jackson's adaptations of his works?" I'm holding a poll on Google plus about this and I would be quite thankful if I received your input:

https://plus.google.com/112697533117207 ... Ktfw46gNEG
TadCornell
Petitioner to the Council

Re: What would Tolkien have thought of the movies?

Postby Billobob » Fri Mar 27, 2015 12:33 pm

He probably would have hated the movies for their over drama (well that's what I think he would think) but accept them because they follow the story relatively well (once again I saying this through his eyes.)
Billobob
Ranger of the North

Postby Elrond Hubbard » Sun Oct 04, 2015 3:39 am

My stab in the dark at it is this:

He probably wouldn't have appreciated Hollywood making The Hobbit it's own, with so much new having been invented to stretch and flesh it out for three movies. His book becomes barely an outline and he might've taken exception to that, at least until the check cleared.

He would've noted that The Fellowship of the Ring was actually good, certainly compared to its sequels. Many of the changes to the story can at least justify themselves, it's often visually impressive and is very charming. There's not much to be embarrassed by, here, despite Hollywood's jazzing it up, here and there. It's not half bad, as a poster boy and he might've even felt proud of it.

"In movie form, LOTR had a strong start, but a weak finish," he might even say - and with the increasingly unnecessary liberties taken for the sequels, they may not have found favor in his sight, hardly at all. But with all of the crazy money he would've made, certainly when the movies were hot, I, personally, wouldn't have been especially interested to hear any of his bellyaching. If you sold the rights, you sold it.
Elrond Hubbard
Citizen of Imladris

Postby andurilwest » Fri Nov 13, 2015 3:25 pm

He said it himself: "Art or Cash". Artistic control (veto power) or monetary compensation. Since the rights ended up with Saul Zaentz, he must have went with Cash. But a man has to eat. In the end, I think he'd be reassured that they made his family some money.
andurilwest
Ranger of the North

Postby LleuLlewGyffes » Fri Nov 13, 2015 5:08 pm

I believe Tolkien would have commended the depiction of Middle Earth, but would have been severely disgruntled by the characterisation, most especially Sam's and Frodo's relationship. Frodo is Sam's elder, an adult to Sam's "tween", and also Sam's employer. Their friendship grows as the adventure progresses, master and servant becoming equals through mutual experience and dependence. The lack of delineation between their status jettisons a vital component of the narrative, one that was dear to Tolkien's heart, that of officer and batman. Film Sam begins as Frodo's drinking companion. He was his gardener in the book. Consequently, there is mere superficial development of their bond. They begin as "best friends", and end as "best friends". This has a knock on effect with Merry and Pippin. Rather than they and Frodo being a coterie predicated on kin (they are Frodo's favourite relatives), Merry and Pippin are reduced to foolishness. This may fit the latter, but severely short changes the sensible and more mature former. I do not think Tolkien would approve.

And that is just a beginning...
LleuLlewGyffes
Citizen of Imladris

Postby Chariot Rider » Fri Dec 25, 2015 9:11 pm

Ultimately I do not feel he would have appreciated the hobbit as much as LOTR. I feel that Jackson went way to far with that one. Ultimately I say this. The Jackson hobbit is a good movie but it is not Tolkien's hobbit. He took Tolkiens ideas and changed them to make it more likely to appeal to non-hobbit nuts. But I think that Tolkien had a very compelling story and there are certain things I cannot conceive why they were changed. For instance the scene were bilbo fights the spiders. I liked the books version of bilbos encounter better. Bilbo slipped on the ring and broke into his annoying song while he happily picked off spiders with his stones. I was looking forward to that scene so much but petter Jackson turned it into more of the usual axes and swords everyone running around being invincible. I ultimately think Tolkien would have hated the hobbit but I am not sure about Lotr.
Chariot Rider
Shield Bearer

Postby Denethor » Sat May 21, 2016 7:01 pm

One difficulty is that the films of Tolkien's era operated at an entirely different level of technology from today.

Another is that I think Tolkien's views would have varied depending on the time of his life. I can see younger Tolkien being more enthusiastic than his older version.

Christopher Tolkien hates them, of course, but he takes a much more purist line than his father (who literally chose cash over art via selling the rights in the first place).
Denethor
Ranger of the North

Postby brodobaggins » Thu Aug 18, 2016 2:49 am

Probably would have hated them.

Not enough songs or poems ;)
brodobaggins
Citizen of Imladris

Postby Arassuil » Mon Aug 14, 2017 3:27 pm

TadCornell wrote:"What would Tolkien have thought of the movies?"G

The movies as presented by PJ? Not much.
Arassuil
Shield Bearer

Return to Movies - Lord of the Rings (Fandom)