Condensing the Board

Got an idea, or did we do something that you really find disturbing? Come here and tell us about it and we'll respond.

Condensing the Board

Postby ElvenArcher » Mon Jan 01, 2018 1:42 pm

The admins have been discussing condensing the forums here on TORC. Back in 1999, we had just a few forums, but in 2000 we had an explosion of growth in memberships and posts. So many people were posting that one would have to go through three or four pages to find just one day's new threads. This necessitated increasing the number of forums, and making them more specific. Now that the movies are well in the past, and many people have migrated to facebook and left the old lands of Message Boards, we find we have too many forums and too few posts. Discussion was inhibited in the past by not enough forums. Today it's the opposite. Discussion is inhibited by too many forums. We are a handful of people living in a house built for a thousand.

And so the admins are starting the work of condensing the board. Forums that have not had use in some time are being archived. They are not being deleted; you can still read them in the archive section. Discussion, however, will be limited to the remaining non archived forums.

While it is an easy decision to archive forums where no one has posted in years, it's more difficult to make the decision to archive forums where people still occasionally post. While the admins will make the final call, we do want to get input from the members.

Some forums may be merged. For example, we can condense the Tolkien Movie forums into one "Tolkien: Movies and Media," which would contain discussion of all the films and other productions, as well as Art. Movies (other) can become "Movies and Media: Other" This could also be merged with the Music forum, although that could also merge with "Talk."

Please let us know your feelings about merging and archiving the forums. If the board grows again, we can always add a new forum or dust off an archived forum.
ElvenArcher
Ranger of the North

Re: Condensing the Board

Postby Calma » Mon Jan 01, 2018 2:38 pm

I'm ok with the condensing.
Just as long as the board doesn't disappear all together.
I'm not on Facebook so this is my only connection to the old days.

Sorry I went into panic mode.
Ask heliona about that....
Image HAPPY HALLOWEEN!!!!!

Join the fun InThe TVM

ImageCAT LOVERS GUILD :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

:yippie: MARINERS!!!!!
:D Wins: 89
:x Losses: 73

Fair winds and following seas.....Toby.

:rose: Toni...Dannie…Ray-Ray…William...Waneta...Damon...David...Guy… rowan... toby

Always looking for new posters for the TORC 365 PROJECT

Image Rock On!
Calma
Crazy Cat Lady

Location: Up the road, across the street, down the lane, and around the bend

Postby ElvenArcher » Mon Jan 01, 2018 2:47 pm

I wouldn't be happy if the board went away! We are hoping that making it smaller will make it easier for the board to thrive, even if with fewer people. If we archive anything people want to start using again we can easily un-archive it.
ElvenArcher
Ranger of the North

Postby oldtoby » Mon Jan 01, 2018 4:36 pm

I think its a good idea
oldtoby
Ringbearer

Postby Tookish_Traveler » Tue Jan 02, 2018 10:23 am

Merging is fine. Just so we all don't fall into the abyss...

:shock:

:D
The magical land under the Sea!!!! ?????

;)

---------------------------------

Watch my (low budget) movie
here!!!

For more fun, watch this video! ->

Star Trek meets Monty Python!!
Tookish_Traveler
Party-monger

Postby Ninui » Tue Jan 02, 2018 11:34 am

Well, just make it so that little miss computer dumb can still find her way around the place. That's all I'll ask.

:D :thumbsup:
Ninui
Ranger of the North

Postby elora » Wed Jan 03, 2018 11:36 pm

Possible to get a list of which forums will be archived and which will be condensed?

I ask because I'm time poor and recognise others are. A list will help me determine whether my input is relevant, and save my time and admins in typing/reading it should my input not be.
elora
Ranger of the North

Postby IrisBrandybuck » Thu Jan 04, 2018 10:36 am

Good idea, elora. :)

My only thought, besides saying this is a good idea, is the Followers of Eru...I know we're not very active at all, but it is one place where about three or four people, when they stop to visit the boards, stop first.

Other than that...

<------ The TVM is going on vacation!

Cats were once worshiped in Egypt. They have never forgotten this.

"They ask me what I'd like written about me when I'm gone. I hope they write I made Penn State a better place, not just that I was a good football coach." -- Joe Paterno
IrisBrandybuck
I can't brain today. I have the dumb.

Postby White Shadow » Fri Jan 05, 2018 11:47 am

The suggestion was to archive the following forums:

- Adoptions
- Virtual Tolkien Study Group
- Book News
- Movie News
- Movies - LotR (Fandom)
- The Lord of the Rings Online: Shadows of Angmar (anything can be posted about in the general Games forum)
- Servants of the Secret Fire: Lord of the Rings Online Kinship
- The Green Dragon Inn
- Community News

And condense:

- Movies (Lotr), Movies (TH), Movies (Fandom) and Art into Tolkien: Movies and Other Media (including movie news)
- Movies and Media: Other (which can include Music)
- The three games forums can then be Games (Tolkien and more)

Keep
- Books: Tolkien (which can then include any new book news)
- Books: Other

I believe that's everything. I hope that makes sense, but please ask for clarification if it doesn't! Anything that is archived can always be unarchived if anyone wants to post on them again (such as the Study Group forum).

Iris, there's no plans to do anything with the Alliances forum - the only ones that were planned for archiving were either forums that hadn't been posted in in some time, or where the topics could be merged into one general forum due to not a great deal of activity but still some posts.
White Shadow
Shield Bearer

Postby IrisBrandybuck » Fri Jan 05, 2018 7:58 pm

:thumbsup:

<------ The TVM is going on vacation!

Cats were once worshiped in Egypt. They have never forgotten this.

"They ask me what I'd like written about me when I'm gone. I hope they write I made Penn State a better place, not just that I was a good football coach." -- Joe Paterno
IrisBrandybuck
I can't brain today. I have the dumb.

Postby ElvenArcher » Mon Jan 15, 2018 10:41 am

We are very open to suggestions if anyone wants to make a case for condensing or archiving a particular forum. And remember we can reopen an archived board or make a new one if there is a need.
ElvenArcher
Ranger of the North

Postby SilverScribe » Wed Jan 17, 2018 9:43 pm

I'm sorry I'm one of the thousands who disappeared into the attic or the basement . . . or was it that open root cellar door that I stumbled into? :D

A smaller house sounds like a good solution. Cozy is preferable to "closed" . . .

:)

~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~
Fur meine Mutter . . . Sie sind für immer in meinem Herzen . . .

A song for our Fallen, but not Forgotten . . . Galadriel's Lament
SilverScribe
Scribe, Wanderer, Warrior . . . Bard of Rhudaur and Herald of Manwe

Postby Bilbo25 » Sat Jan 20, 2018 7:52 pm

I am inclined to agree with Silver Scribe condensing the board and archiving inactive threads is preferable to complete closure. By the By I fell into a deep pit in Angmar
Bilbo25
Ranger of the North

Postby erinhue » Wed Mar 07, 2018 7:16 pm

One word about The Prancing Pony I know the forum has been very still for some time and condensing sounds like a grand idea. I just want to ask that the current Mithril Knights threads down there not be closed or archived. We move slow I know but we are still alive and kicking or at least twitching. I feel a resurgence in the wind so please don't shut us down. Think we are the last living thread in the forum that oughta count for something
"Where ever you go, there you are." - Buckaroo Bonzi

erinhue
Warrior/Bard of Belfalas Illuvatar's Bright Spirit

Postby Melwa » Sun Mar 11, 2018 11:57 am

I'm one of those who's drifted to other social media places like Facebook, but I'd be sad to see this place close altogether. I still check in when I need a breath of clean fandom air and friendly faces. Condensing does seem like a good idea, especially as archived forums can always be revived.
Melwa
Ranger of the North

Postby White Shadow » Mon Mar 12, 2018 6:33 am

erinhue wrote:One word about The Prancing Pony I know the forum has been very still for some time and condensing sounds like a grand idea. I just want to ask that the current Mithril Knights threads down there not be closed or archived. We move slow I know but we are still alive and kicking or at least twitching. I feel a resurgence in the wind so please don't shut us down. Think we are the last living thread in the forum that oughta count for something

The Prancing Pony won't be shut down, don't worry, Hue. :)
White Shadow
Shield Bearer

Postby erinhue » Mon Mar 19, 2018 11:08 am

Thank ya muchly :wink:
"Where ever you go, there you are." - Buckaroo Bonzi

erinhue
Warrior/Bard of Belfalas Illuvatar's Bright Spirit

Postby ElvenArcher » Sat Mar 31, 2018 9:19 am

A number of areas are being merged, but no posts are being lost. I've just merged all the Tolkien Movies forums into one, but all threads were saved. As long as there is activity on a forum, it will either remain or be merged with another forum but without the loss of posts. If there is objection to a merge, we'll certainly review it and can always add a forum back. We had many forums with very few posts, as the world has changed since we boomed in the last year of the last millennia. We are hoping the merge/condensing will make it easier to have our discussions. That's the goal.
I'm considering archiving "Art" and new art posts can be put in Media. Art was always a special place to me, and I'd like to see the Artists specific threads of the past not be lost on page 18 of Movies. However, newer posts on Art can be placed in Media. Does that sound acceptable? We won't act without both mod and member consultation.
ElvenArcher
Ranger of the North

Return to The One Ring