Amazon & Warner Bros. in talks for a TV adaptation of LOTR

What do you think of Tolkien on the silver screen...? Whether Bakshi, Jackson, Amazon, BBC radio play, or whoever else, come on in and discuss your reflections, opinions, and memories...

Re: Amazon & Warner Bros. in talks for a TV adaptation of LO

Postby Otaku-sempai » Mon May 28, 2018 7:24 pm

Denethor would have certainly considered 'Thorongil' to be a rival for his father's approval; and once he deduced the young stranger's true identity he would start suspecting Gandalf and the Ranger of plotting against the rule of the Stewards. I'm not sure, though, that Denethor should be corrupt or decadent--arrogant and prideful, yes.
Otaku-sempai
Shield Bearer

Postby Voronwe_the_Faithful » Tue May 29, 2018 8:26 am

Otaku-sempai wrote:
Voronwe_the_Faithful wrote:
Otaku-sempai wrote:[url=https://twitter.com/theoneringnet/status/996822027343310848]Presumably an official announcement will be forthcoming soon and with more details.

Or maybe not. ;)

Give it a few days. 8)

There's also still a chance that each season might have a different focus. The first season is alleged to be about the early days of Aragorn. However, subsequent seasons might concentrate on other characters and settings such as: Balin's attempt to retake Moria; the last days of King Arvedui; the fall of Angmar; etc.

Not only was there not an "official announcement" within a few days (or a couple of weeks for that matter), there wasn't even so much as a post on TORN's home page. I think this was just speculation from someone on twitter and nothing more. It probably still is the most likely possibility, but I consider it far from confirmed.
Voronwe_the_Faithful
Mariner

Postby Otaku-sempai » Tue May 29, 2018 9:08 am

Voronwe_the_Faithful wrote:Not only was there not an "official announcement" within a few days (or a couple of weeks for that matter), there wasn't even so much as a post on TORN's home page. I think this was just speculation from someone on twitter and nothing more. It probably still is the most likely possibility, but I consider it far from confirmed.

The Twitter post did cite "multiple sources" so I do believe that this is more than just speculation. Frankly, I will not be at all surprised if the folks at Amazon are waiting for further developments to firm up before issuing an official announcement (though, I might of course be wrong). I advise continued patience until this is confirmed or debunked.
Otaku-sempai
Shield Bearer

Postby Otaku-sempai » Wed Jun 06, 2018 7:01 am

A German-language article at IGN Deutschland seems to confirm Peter Jackson's involvement in Amazon's Middle-earth series. According to a TORN member who has translated the most relevant parts, Jackson will not act as showrunner for the series, but is helping to gather the creative team for the show.

"I had a phone call by Amazon about a year ago. And it sounded like they would do the right thing, they have very good intentions with the series. For me everything was very fascinating and exciting.

But I don't want to be the one who is responsible for the whole show because I have never done a TV series that's that long. It would not be very clever when I would take the job of the showrunner.

What I'm basically doing right now is compiling the creative team (behind the series)."
Otaku-sempai
Shield Bearer

Postby Otaku-sempai » Wed Jun 06, 2018 10:08 am

We have a new article at The Playlist that alleges: Peter Jackson Denies Involvement In ‘Lord Of The Rings’ Series Or Any DC Film. So either the news coming out of IGN in Germany is false or this article isn't telling us the whole story. The previous story did state that Jackson was not going the be the showrunner for Amazon's Middle-earth series, so both articles could be true up to a point.
Otaku-sempai
Shield Bearer

Postby Otaku-sempai » Thu Jun 07, 2018 7:45 am

Otaku-sempai wrote:We have a new article at The Playlist that alleges: Peter Jackson Denies Involvement In ‘Lord Of The Rings’ Series Or Any DC Film. So either the news coming out of IGN in Germany is false or this article isn't telling us the whole story. The previous story did state that Jackson was not going the be the showrunner for Amazon's Middle-earth series, so both articles could be true up to a point.

Addendum (06/07/08): TORN poster TheHutt seems to have discovered the truth:

Due to the diametrally clashing interviews released yesterday by IGN Deutschland and French Allociné, the German portal Filmstarts.de asked both sites for clarification of their sources.
IGN could provide an audio recording of the interview with PJ which confirms their article:
- PJ is not involved directly with the Amazon series, and of course not as showrunner.
- However, he is "putting the creative team together" for the project.
- Also, he confirmed to be ready to participate in the project "in some capacity" and to help Amazon, as he is excited about their project.

The Allociné is still checking their interview as of now.

Source
Otaku-sempai
Shield Bearer

Postby Otaku-sempai » Mon Jun 11, 2018 11:11 am

Amazon Studios head Jennifer Salke hosted a Q&A where she discussed some of the plans for their Middle-earth series. The deal was finalized last month and the show is expected to premiere in 2021.

- Article at Deadline.

-Article at Variety.

- Article at The Hollywood Reporter.

- Article at The New York Times.

From the piece at Variety:
The Tolkien deal covers most, but not all of the material connected to the author’s Middle Earth saga. Salke said that it is still too early to say what shape, exactly, the series will take. But, she added, “It’s not a remaking of the movies, and it’s not a whole new thing. It’s something in between. It’s not, ‘Oh, it’s “Lord of the Rings” but you don’t recognize anything in it,’ but it’s not totally familiar to you either. So it’s original.”
Otaku-sempai
Shield Bearer

Postby Voronwe_the_Faithful » Wed Jun 13, 2018 10:22 am

That seems to suggest that I was right and that the reports that the series will begin with "young Aragorn" were premature.
Voronwe_the_Faithful
Mariner

Postby Otaku-sempai » Wed Jun 13, 2018 10:53 am

Voronwe_the_Faithful wrote:That seems to suggest that I was right and that the reports that the series will begin with "young Aragorn" were premature.

If you mean the passage that I quoted then I wouldn't say that. The story of Aragorn's early journeys would fit that description just fine, neither a remaking of the movies nor a whole new thing, though it could turn out to be something else.
Otaku-sempai
Shield Bearer

Postby Voronwe_the_Faithful » Wed Jun 13, 2018 11:04 am

Among several other statements in the various articles, this one stands out, "it is still too early to say what shape, exactly, the series will take."
Voronwe_the_Faithful
Mariner

Postby Otaku-sempai » Wed Jun 13, 2018 11:28 am

There is that, but that doesn't preclude the possibility that some preliminary decisions have been reached. The rumor from TORN's Twitter page leaves open the possibility that the show could shift gears after the first season and take a new direction. Right now, we just don't have enough facts to say much of anything with confidence. My own speculations and opinions are just that, nothing more.
Otaku-sempai
Shield Bearer

Postby Voronwe_the_Faithful » Wed Jun 13, 2018 3:32 pm

I wouldn't be surprised if they end up doing the young Aragorn idea, but I very much doubt that they have settled on doing so, or that they will settle on a definite plan until they have a showrunner and writers, and a clearer idea of what the role of the Tolkien Estate and Jackson will be. From what she says, the deal wasn't even finalized until AFTER the TORN twitter report (which again was never confirmed even on the TORN home page).
Voronwe_the_Faithful
Mariner

Postby Otaku-sempai » Wed Jun 13, 2018 5:12 pm

The twitter post was made on May 16 which means that it could have been after the deal was sealed. But you're right that plans can change and even if there was truth in that report, the series could still end up going in a different direction.
Otaku-sempai
Shield Bearer

Postby Voronwe_the_Faithful » Wed Jun 13, 2018 5:48 pm

She specifically denies that there is a plan around a specific character yet:

SALKE: ... It'll be characters you love.

DEADLINE: For example?

SALKE: I can’t give that out, I don’t have anything for it.

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk
Voronwe_the_Faithful
Mariner

Postby Otaku-sempai » Wed Jun 13, 2018 6:31 pm

That's not a denial; Ms. Salke just states that she can't discuss it. And that very same exchange suggests that at least some tentative ideas might have been floated ("It'll be characters you love"). All it really tells us is that nothing is finalized yet.
Otaku-sempai
Shield Bearer

Postby Voronwe_the_Faithful » Wed Jun 13, 2018 7:59 pm

I admire your loyalty. I won't say anything more than that.

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk
Voronwe_the_Faithful
Mariner

Postby Otaku-sempai » Thu Jun 14, 2018 5:48 am

It's not loyalty, V., just optimism. Try it sometime; you might like it! :wink: If or when we have solid information that debunks the Aragorn-centric rumor I will set it aside; until then that's still my best guess as to the initial focus of the series.

On the other hand, maybe you are being optimistic. I'm not sure what outcome you're hoping for from the Amazon deal.
Otaku-sempai
Shield Bearer

Postby Voronwe_the_Faithful » Thu Jun 14, 2018 6:14 am

I don't have a strong preference for what they do, other than that it be done well and that it manages to reflect the spirit of Tolkien's work. I can't say that I'm particularly optimistic that that will happen, but I think Salke's comments are somewhat encouraging in that they are interested in taking their time and that the Tolkien Estate continues to be actively involved (although Simon Tolkien has at times been at odds with his father about the films).
Voronwe_the_Faithful
Mariner

Postby Otaku-sempai » Thu Jun 14, 2018 3:44 pm

Great! Thanks for your candor.
Otaku-sempai
Shield Bearer

Postby Linden » Thu Aug 02, 2018 8:01 pm

Wow. Changes. It was inevitable I suppose. Now, how will this pudding taste?
Linden
Ranger of the North

Postby Thor 'n' Oakenshield » Sat Aug 18, 2018 11:39 am

I'm pretty sure the whole thing will be focused on Aragorn & Arwen as protagonists, with the politics of Gondor, Rohan and the Elves explored in exhaustive detail (personally, I wouldn't mind seeing "Thorongil" and the conflict with Umbar – which could serve as a way to introduce Blue Wizards?) I guess Saruman's betrayal, maybe the Hunt for Gollum (though that would completely lack a payoff unless you bring the series up to the War of the Ring), and Theoden's backstory – I would be very surprised if Legolas didn't make an appearance too
Honestly, I could see a lot of opportunities in this series, as there were so many exciting events happening in Middle-earth at that time, but I fear it will be done in a GoT style that could ruin its potential
Fingers crossed! :|
Thor 'n' Oakenshield
Shield Bearer

Postby Otaku-sempai » Sat Aug 18, 2018 12:21 pm

Thor 'n' Oakenshield wrote:I'm pretty sure the whole thing will be focused on Aragorn & Arwen as protagonists, with the politics of Gondor, Rohan and the Elves explored in exhaustive detail (personally, I wouldn't mind seeing "Thorongil" and the conflict with Umbar – which could serve as a way to introduce Blue Wizards?) I guess Saruman's betrayal, maybe the Hunt for Gollum (though that would completely lack a payoff unless you bring the series up to the War of the Ring), and Theoden's backstory – I would be very surprised if Legolas didn't make an appearance too

One itty-bitty problem with your first suggestion is that in the legendarium Aragorn and Arwen don't spend any time together between the years 2951 and 2980, and Tolkien doesn't give Arwen much to do within that time frame. As far as we know she spends most of that in Rivendell with her father and the rest with her mother's family in Lothlórien with one bit of travel from one place to the other. If it turns out that only the first season is principally concerned with Aragorn, I expect it might end with the raid on Umbar and his subsequent reunion with Arwen. If the show stays with our Ranger then it will likely take longer to reach that point and could continue beyond it perhaps even up to the year 3000 of the Third Age.

We probably would see Théoden as a boy, and Denethor as a rival suspicious of the intentions of 'Thorongil' and jealous of the outsider's influence with his father. I'm not sure it would be a good idea to involve either of the 'Blue Wizards' with Aragorn's raid on the City of Corsairs, but maybe he could learn something of them in his later, post-2980 travels in the East and South. Even ignoring Peter Jackson's Hobbit films, I think we could reasonably expect Aragorn to meet both Thranduil and Legolas, as well as other prominent characters of Rhovanion (Beorn, King Bard, survivors of Thorin's company, etc.).

Honestly, I could see a lot of opportunities in this series, as there were so many exciting events happening in Middle-earth at that time, but I fear it will be done in a GoT style that could ruin its potential
Fingers crossed! :|

I do expect a more grounded approach than Tolkien used in the books, but I think the writers and showrunner(s) can avoid the excesses of GoT.
Otaku-sempai
Shield Bearer

Postby Thor 'n' Oakenshield » Sat Aug 18, 2018 12:42 pm

Hi Otaku-sempai!

I think Amazon will mess with the timeline, regardless of what other changes are made, but there doesn't seem to be any problem with having Aragorn and Arwen as protagonists regardless – if Aragorn is off in the southern portion of Middle-earth, while Arwen gets the whole north side (do we really think she won't be given something of a warrior princess role this time around? I assumed so the moment I heard about this)
Personally, I think the White Council should be the protagonists (the trinity of Gandalf, Galadriel and Elrond is my favorite part of the Hobbit movies, and there's plenty of stuff in the books that could offer more to go on, just for those three characters)
But I'm a huge fan of the mysterious Blue Wizards, and would just love to see them on screen
Thor 'n' Oakenshield
Shield Bearer

Postby Thor 'n' Oakenshield » Sat Aug 18, 2018 1:00 pm

I don't know if anyone has tried to compile a list of all the things that take place in Middle-earth between 2941 and 3018, but certainly to me the ones that come to mind immediately are the Treason of Isengard (with plenty of potential for dark palace intrigue in Rohan as Grima arrives on the scene; just to be clear, I don't actually know if it's specified when he arrived), Thorongil in Gondor (the battles and the new locales of Harad and Umbar), Sauron's return (the White Council, with the magical element), and then the Hunt for the Ring (if they have to show Gollum at some point, how will they portray him?? It better not be differently, because one of my sisters is smitten with Smeagol; how would I break the news to her?)
Those are just a handful, and I'm probably forgetting even more important ones, but those would probably be the ones that they could tie into an Aragorn-based storyline (with Arwen being the romantic lead, obviously, and having her own subplot in Rivendell and environs, probably Lorien too, about Elven fading.)
Can anyone think of the other most important events in Middle-earth at that time period? Or…alternately, force me to walk ten feet to fetch my copy of LotR?)
Thor 'n' Oakenshield
Shield Bearer

Postby Otaku-sempai » Sat Aug 18, 2018 1:28 pm

I hope that if Amazon does take liberties with Tolkien's "Tale of Years" then it might be more subtle about it than Peter Jackson was and avoid some of his excesses. Yes, Arwen could be made more active, especially if the entire series was devoted to covering Aragorn's journeys and errantries, but I don't know how that would work. There are several points where Aragorn's arc could end:

1) The end of his service to Gondor and his reunion with and engagement to Arwen (T.A. 2980).

2) The conclusion of Aragorn's travels to the distant East and the far South "where the stars are strange" (by T.A. 3000).

3) The Hunt for Gollum (captured by Aragorn in 3017).

I don't think we ever learn Gríma Wormtongue's exact age. I would assume that his father Gálmód was a youngish man when Aragorn rode with King Thengel. Other events that took place during Aragorn's wanderings include: the last meeting of the White Council; Saruman fortifying Orthanc and secretly plotting against Rohan; King Bard weds and sires a son (Bain); Beorn finds a wife and sires a son (Grimbeorn); the wedding of Denethor and Finduilas of Dol Amroth; Bard and Beorn die (Bard in 2977) and are succeeded by their respective sons; Balin attempts to found a new colony in Moria. We know that Aragorn once entered Moria, presumably before 2989 when Balin founded his ill-fated colony.

Perhaps we could even have a framing device where King Elessar (Viggo Mortensen) is telling the story of his early adventures to his children.
Last edited by Otaku-sempai on Sat Aug 18, 2018 1:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Otaku-sempai
Shield Bearer

Postby Thor 'n' Oakenshield » Sat Aug 18, 2018 1:35 pm

I think, of those three, the best would be the end of the Hunt for Gollum, I think, just because it would set up nicely as a cliffhanger – But I would enjoy Viggo as older King Elessar, just because it would make sense and be very nostalgic (and because, if you introduce Eldarion, then you can create the spin-off "The New Shadow" which would be totally fabricated but would probably get even more attention; after all, we did just have a prequel to LotR, but no one's ever tackled the sequel!)
Thor 'n' Oakenshield
Shield Bearer

Postby Thor 'n' Oakenshield » Sat Aug 18, 2018 1:38 pm

Otaku-sempai wrote:I don't think we ever learn Gríma Wormtongue's exact age. I would assume that his father Gálmód was a youngish man when Aragorn rode with King Thengel.

Wouldn't it be cool to have a family of Wormtongues, each of whom is more evil than the last?
Thor 'n' Oakenshield
Shield Bearer

Postby Thor 'n' Oakenshield » Sat Aug 18, 2018 3:18 pm

Wouldn't it be cool if Tom Bombadil could show up in this series? I know it won't happen, but I'm trying to remain hopeful about this whole thing :)
Thor 'n' Oakenshield
Shield Bearer

Postby Otaku-sempai » Sat Aug 18, 2018 7:48 pm

Thor 'n' Oakenshield wrote:Wouldn't it be cool if Tom Bombadil could show up in this series? I know it won't happen, but I'm trying to remain hopeful about this whole thing :)

Why not? I can easily see Gandalf introducing Aragorn to Tom Bombadil and Goldberry, perhaps after an encounter with a Barrow-wight or three.
Otaku-sempai
Shield Bearer

Postby Thor 'n' Oakenshield » Sun Aug 19, 2018 8:30 am

Otaku-sempai wrote:Why not? I can easily see Gandalf introducing Aragorn to Tom Bombadil and Goldberry, perhaps after an encounter with a Barrow-wight or three.

Hey, I like that idea…it would be a nice nod to us fans of Tom who got unjustly overlooked simply because FotR was already three hours long…honestly, I don't think he would have worked in PJ's adaptation, but a TV series could possibly do him justice. Could anyone else see Elle Fanning as Goldberry? My sister suggested it to me once, and I can see it.
I forgot, yesterday, to mention Balin's attempt to retake Moria as a major event in this time period – I'm not sure if that's rather isolated from most other events, but it would be cool to see. I dug into the appendices and decided that the time when Aragorn went to Mordor for unknown reasons "to scour the hearts of men" could be an interesting focal point for at least one season (as for his journeys beyond Mordor, into the east and south, I would still suggest the Blue Wizards as being interesting characters for those; whether as enemies or friends. I don't possess a copy of HoME, but I thought it was in that that Tolkien said the Wizards might have started occult religions of a sort in the east, and/or became servants of Sauron)
Thor 'n' Oakenshield
Shield Bearer

PreviousNext

Return to Movies and Media: Tolkien