The Mithril Knights Shadows in the East OOC

Pull out your pack and head on down to the Prancing Pony for some great Role Playing (try to stay in character)!

Re: The Mithril Knights Shadows in the East OOC

Postby WaitingCynicism » Mon Nov 19, 2018 12:49 pm

erinhue wrote:Yes we are still around just in a temporary lull. Take a minute and read up. Maybe you can come up with an idea, only talk about it here if ya do. I got nothing but the moment I do I will be here

Is there a way I can send you a PM? I had a personal question for you if that's okay.
WaitingCynicism
Citizen of Imladris

Postby Tempest » Tue Nov 20, 2018 11:50 am

We're happy to answer any questions!!
Tempest
Ranger of the North

Postby erinhue » Thu Jan 10, 2019 8:52 pm

Well it sure took me long enough :D I think that should get us moving again...and a nice fight to boot. =:)
"Where ever you go, there you are." - Buckaroo Bonzi

erinhue
Warrior/Bard of Belfalas Illuvatar's Bright Spirit

Postby Quimrill_Renctar » Mon Jan 14, 2019 5:38 pm

I do like good fights. I may wait for somebody else to respond first or I may post something fairly short to start out with. Paul’s a little perforated at the moment. May need a bandaid before he charges into the breach.

Clarify for me a point before I write anything I’ll have to take back. Does Clarion bring the berserker with it or is that a separate issue Erinhue has to deal with when he gets emotionally angsted?
Quimrill_Renctar
Ranger of the North

Location: A little patch of paradise I like to call... the backside of nowhere

Postby erinhue » Tue Jan 15, 2019 10:55 am

Good question Quill. OK here's the deal. Clarion is a bloodthirsty sword with its own set of issues. ( the spirit of a Maia is trapped within the blade. Its crime was allowing Melkor into Varda and so on and so on. Long story) Aside from really wanting to kill, it is little more than an obedient blade unless and until Erinhue looses his temper and gets really angry. This is part of why the bard is so good natured, he really cannot afford to get angry. He is sort of the Incredible Hulk. The bard's anger enflames the rage of the sword and calls out The Berserker. Erinhue had no control or memory of The Berserker until the story right before Dirk's funeral tale when he finally learned how to get control of The Berserker. Tempest hated Clarion (she is not too fond of Agarak either) so Erinhue took to not carrying it around since he could call it whenever he wanted and it would obey and appear. Hope that does it for ya

erinhue

Postby Tempest » Fri Jan 18, 2019 1:47 pm

And considering that the Berserker almost wiped out a group of Mithril Knights (including Tempest) in one of our other adventures, it's understandable why she's not a big fan.... :P
Tempest
Ranger of the North

Postby erinhue » Sat Jan 19, 2019 11:22 am

:oops: ...Uh... yeah there is that, isn't it? :whistle:

erinhue

Postby erinhue » Mon Jan 21, 2019 11:07 am

Good point since Clarion has a penchant to go after The Bard's friends =:)

erinhue

Postby Tempest » Fri Jan 25, 2019 12:45 pm

It's hard to completely remember all the things that happened to our characters, but Erinhue DID manage to control the Berserker, if I'm not mistaken. Does it obey him now?

Let's hope so..... :shock:
Tempest
Ranger of the North

Postby erinhue » Thu Jan 31, 2019 11:37 am

Thank ya muchly, darlin' for the reminder. He did, sort of and I got an idea about that. 8)

erinhue

Postby Cock-Robin » Thu Jan 31, 2019 3:55 pm

And if he doesn't, that's why a mean ol' bear is at his side. :P

Happy New Year!

Meneldor, Warrior Bard, and Brondgast, Mithril Knights

Gwaeryn and Robin, The Expected Party

Meneldor, Alatar and Pallando, Darkness Reigns: The Resistance

Warrior Bard
Cock-Robin
Friend of Eagles

Postby Quimrill_Renctar » Fri Feb 15, 2019 1:46 pm

Okay, sorry for the long overdue-ness (?) of my post. But here it is and hopefully its gets the party started.

Telta, if you are out there in the ether-webs, I hope I used your character well! :P
Quimrill_Renctar
Ranger of the North

Postby Tempest » Tue Feb 26, 2019 9:50 am

Nice work!! It's good to see this moving again!! I'll try to post soon too----I'd love to see us finish this story properly!
Tempest
Ranger of the North

Postby Quimrill_Renctar » Thu Feb 28, 2019 9:14 pm

Ah Tempest! Just FYI, that is Tempest’s sword that Paul is waving around with nery a care. Just wouldn’t want him walking off with accidentally.... or would I? No, just kidding... or am I? >_<
Quimrill_Renctar
Ranger of the North

Postby Tempest » Fri Mar 01, 2019 11:44 am

Hahaha, I figured it was Fury because of your description! Just be careful---that sword has attitude! :twisted:
Tempest
Ranger of the North

Postby WaitingCynicism » Fri Mar 01, 2019 3:46 pm

Hey all, I am still here

Sent from my BTV-W09 using Tapatalk
WaitingCynicism
Citizen of Imladris

Postby Quimrill_Renctar » Wed Apr 03, 2019 11:38 am

Looking good! Great post. I like how hopeless Tempest is, and how her refusal to believe that she is about to be rescued helps drive home the torture and the degree of treachery she has had to endure up till now without going into great detail. Neat trick. :)

I’ll give Erinhue the opportunity to reply if he checks in any time soonish, then I might just carry on. How far would you say the knights are from where Tempest is being held. After this fight is resolved, I doubt they need to wonder around much more. I know it sounds like they are close, but you know how sound travels in a tunnel ;)
Quimrill_Renctar
Ranger of the North

Postby Quimrill_Renctar » Thu Apr 04, 2019 6:09 pm

Just wanted to add a hello to WaitingCynicism. Hello. Do you have any plans to get in on this? I know you posted at the top of the page, back in November. Did you ever touch bases with Erinhue?
Quimrill_Renctar
Ranger of the North

Postby Tempest » Mon May 06, 2019 7:48 am

I don't know if the rest of you have heard, but CockRobin passed away in February. I don't frequent the Talk forum as much as I used to, so I just saw the post today. I am heartbroken! :(

I'm also unsure of how to continue without him! What should we do?
Tempest
Ranger of the North

Postby Quimrill_Renctar » Mon May 20, 2019 12:47 am

Yeah, I saw the post some time ago, so I’ve had some more time for it to sink in. Robin, has been one of the few folks to pass on that I have had such a connection with, even if it was mostly just our characters.

I am prepared to help get this thing around the last couple corners if folks want to. I would expect You or Erinhue would be the best candidates to give voice to his characters one last time, given all your history and first hand knowledge of thier histories and personalities. If that is too painful a prospect I too have gotten to know these two characters specifically over the last couple years, and I could try my hand at it.
Quimrill_Renctar
Ranger of the North

Postby Tempest » Mon May 20, 2019 6:32 am

I DO think that he would want us to finish the tale.....I'm just not sure I could do his characters justice. I guess we should involve them as we can, but anyone who feels comfortable writing for them should do so---I think that would be easier than just one of us having charge over them. How does that sound?
Tempest
Ranger of the North

Postby Quimrill_Renctar » Thu May 23, 2019 11:37 pm

Sounds like a plan. I’ll begin working on something. I’m going to be traveling for the next week, but I’m not yet sure what that’s going to look like in the business department. We will see what kind of downtime I have to put into a post before I return. Maybe I’ll get inspired on the plane.
Quimrill_Renctar
Ranger of the North

Postby WaitingCynicism » Fri May 24, 2019 11:05 am

Quimrill, I was able to make contact, but I had finals and now I am trying to think about how to introduce my man of Rohan to the group.
WaitingCynicism
Citizen of Imladris

Postby Quimrill_Renctar » Tue May 28, 2019 10:15 am

Waiting, good to have you abroad, potentially. We are hopefully coming up on the end of this RP so if you are going to introduce, I would do it soonish, and in a way that doesn’t put your chatacter too far away from the group and the action. Your call of course. This is a Mithril Knights training thread so it would make the most sense if your character was one of the Knight in Training who up till now has just been tagging along. How does that sound?
Quimrill_Renctar
Ranger of the North

Postby WaitingCynicism » Tue May 28, 2019 10:37 am

I'll do that!
WaitingCynicism
Citizen of Imladris

Postby Quimrill_Renctar » Wed May 29, 2019 4:21 am

One last thought, before I write anything else without fully consulting folks. As a KIT I feel a little awkward presenting this idea, but, well, I’m going to anyway.

What do you guys think of a swan song sort of exit for Robin’s characters. I’m sort of imagining one last charge of the light brigade into the jaws of near certian death sort of thing. Self sacrifice, ultimate act of heroism.

Or....

Just as interesting. They become permanent fixtures around the Mithril Knights hall. Kind of mascots and sources of old tales and wisdom that folks can write in as NPCs now and then.

(I kind of have my own thoughts on which Robin would have preferred, but what do other’s think) Either way I don’t think I will write anything too final for them in my next post, but there may be some foreshadowing or set up that can take place.

Tempest , I’m thinking I may have our group find their way to the cavern where the cage is in the next installment and then you can point us in the right direction from there.

Waiting , I’m not sure what the context of your post is. As of the last couple posts, things are dark and dangerous in the ancient and semi-cursed mines in the wild lands to the east. If you are writing your characters way back in the guild hall, then I’m afraid there may not be anyone on this thread to interact with in that setting. If you are writing your characters in the mines with the rest of us, it seems a bit of an odd time to be casualy strolling up to folks and saying “hi.” If you could help us understand what your thoughts are here, or do a quick re-write that would be great!
Quimrill_Renctar
Ranger of the North

Postby WaitingCynicism » Wed May 29, 2019 5:41 am

I can rewrite it l
WaitingCynicism
Citizen of Imladris

Postby WaitingCynicism » Wed May 29, 2019 4:31 pm

I'm not certain what I would rewrite it to in the mines since this would be the first time the group has met Beornstan and Leofric
WaitingCynicism
Citizen of Imladris

Postby WaitingCynicism » Wed Jun 26, 2019 8:11 am

I guess my thought process was that maybe Beornstan's dad had recently sent them to follow the group, which is why they are just now getting to you all and saying hello. Does that work for anyone else?
WaitingCynicism
Citizen of Imladris

Postby Quimrill_Renctar » Wed Jul 03, 2019 9:58 am

Sorry for the long reply, Waiting, I just wanted to give you some idea of where to go from where you are at.

I get what you are saying. The fact is that in the “present” (in story moment) the entire groupe of Mithril Knights engaged in this story are currently hundreds (thousands?) of leagues away from the guild hall down in a mine, actively engaged with the enemy. Its fine with me (not that my opinion in any way really matters, I’m not inducted yet myself) that you write your characters being introduced back at the guild hall, but I don’t know that any of us have characters back there to great Beornstan and Leofric, so don’t expect much in the way of response.

If we are talking flashback to a greeting, I think that’s a great way to start! Maybe Leofric is remembering their first interactions and marveling that now here they are in a dark mine about to die (maybe). I wouldn’t wait for us to reply to the flashback though. Writing in two different time frames is going to be a little too challenging at this point. At least for me. After all we are going to be trying very hard to wrap this thing up in the next month or two. If you want your characters in on the action they need to be where we are now, not gradually working up to it. If you look back in the thread, that’s how Paul arrived. One of the KITs suddenly grew a personality and a name and a backstory. That’s why the KITs are there is to be cooped by new players. You can always just have two of the KITs be your two characters and write some of the backstory and what they have been up to in the beginning of a post that ends with them having been with the Mithril knights the whole excursion, or even meeting up with them before they go into the mine and now, here they are.

Maybe record (in retrospect) what they were doing during some of the key elements of the story. (The pirate phase, the carny phase, the battle outside the easterling town, the decent into the mine, the trap room.) Let us know what their thoughts and feelings are about some of their fellow KITs and the Mithril Knights.

For example. My character just got bandaged up by a rather timid Knight in training. That could have been Leofric! Or not, up to you. Maybe Beornstan is standing in line with the other knights holding a shield and wetting his pants because he is so afraid of the dark and what lurks in it, or.... he’s eager to get into the battle and frustrated that Telta and Paul are running out front into the action and he’s stuck in the shield formation. Now he decides its his time to shine and disobeys orders and rushes in. As a result he.............: saves a life? Costs somebody their life? Gets wounded? Gets chastised? Gets complimented for taking initiative? The sky is the limits (except there is no sky, we are stuck down in a dank mine :) )

Sorry again for the length of this reply, Cynicism. I don’t want you to get frustrated, I just want you to successfully integrate your characters into our story if you really want to. I love writing and I hope you do too.

OKAY, that said. I’m going to finish up my post! I’ve got a few spots where I can incorporate some Leofric and Beornstan interactions with Paul (in the heat of battle) if Waiting want sot bring them in. If I don’t hear anything in the next couple days, I’ll just post it and hand the ball off to Tempest. Cheers!

~Quill
Quimrill_Renctar
Ranger of the North

PreviousNext

Return to Role Playing: The Prancing Pony (Middle-earth Only)