The Russia Question

Manwë was known for many things, but wisdom and power are two that lead the rest of his attributes. Join the Councils and discuss the more weighty matters of Tolkien Fandom.

The Russia Question

Postby Thor 'n' Oakenshield » Fri Nov 30, 2018 10:42 am

Here's the place to discuss the Russian investigation! I soon get lost among legal terms and whatnot, even though I watch the news basically every night, so I know what's going on, it would just be hard for me to explain what it is! But I'll do my best here. Right at the moment, it seems to have come out that Trump tried to bribe Vladimir Putin. Share your thoughts, y'all.
Thor 'n' Oakenshield
Rider of the Mark

Re: The Russia Question

Postby Minardil » Tue Feb 12, 2019 11:53 am

Are you talking about his gift of a $50million penthouse in Trump Tower Moscow? Perhaps that can be considered a “bribe”, but since Trump has been doing business with (ie: Laundering money for) Russian oligarchs for years, it seems more like just “business as usual” for him.
Minardil
Mariner

Postby Thor 'n' Oakenshield » Tue Feb 12, 2019 3:55 pm

Minardil wrote:Are you talking about his gift of a $50million penthouse in Trump Tower Moscow? Perhaps that can be considered a “bribe”, but since Trump has been doing business with (ie: Laundering money for) Russian oligarchs for years, it seems more like just “business as usual” for him.

Oh, yes, I do believe that was it: gods, it feels like so long ago. I've been taking a break from the news recently, except Presidential campaign stuff that's going on. You're right though - bribery is business as usual for Trump.
Thor 'n' Oakenshield
Rider of the Mark

Postby RoseMorninStar » Wed Feb 13, 2019 8:00 pm

Bribery. Money laundering. It's what everybody does, right?

My thoughts are that Trump either knows full well all of the Russian involvement in his campaign (and therefore complicit to a greater or lesser degree) and if not, he's too ignorant to be president. There is far too much Russian involvement at every turn.
RoseMorninStar
Ringbearer

Postby Storyteller » Sat Feb 16, 2019 7:08 am

I had a flashback of Hillary Clinton gifting the Russian President a big fancy "reset" button, hilariously mistranslated as "overload". And the words "Uranium One" somewhere in the back of my memory.

It occurs to me that Russia's been cultivating both sides of the American political divide.
"...Their aim in war with Germany is nothing more, nothing less than extermination of Hitlerism... There is absolutely no justification for this kind of war. The ideology of Hitlerism, just like any other ideological system, can be accepted or rejected, this is a matter of political views. But everyone grasps, that an ideology can not be exterminated by force, must not be finished off with a war.” - Vyacheslav Molotov, ""On the Foreign Policy of the Soviet Union", 31 October 1939
Storyteller
Mariner

Postby RoseMorninStar » Thu Feb 21, 2019 1:12 am

FactCheck.Org on the Uranium One deal

Trump has had at least 4 meetings with Putin where American translators/Aides were not allowed or the transcripts were torn up. What we 'know' about those chats came from Russia, which shouldn't be trusted at all. Trump has said he trusts Putin and Kim Jong Un more than he trusts his own administration and intelligence officers. This, from the AP shouldn't make anyone feel safe. It's all about money.
RoseMorninStar
Ringbearer

Postby Thor 'n' Oakenshield » Sun Mar 03, 2019 2:24 pm

Who watched the Michael Cohen testimony the other day? I did.
Thor 'n' Oakenshield
Rider of the Mark

Postby ihadababyitsaboy » Thu Apr 18, 2019 6:36 pm

I guess we don't have to wonder or sleuth anymore - the Mueller report is out. I think the collusion concern is dead (which I think everyone in the West should be relieved by). Lots of palace intrigue got revealed in the report too, but with no criminal wrongdoing (by the President, that is) we are now firmly in the infinitely more vicious yet much less interesting spin phase of the investigation.
ihadababyitsaboy
Ranger of the North

Postby Otaku-sempai » Fri Apr 19, 2019 6:58 am

It is a relief to be able to dismiss the accusations of collusion. However, there is still the troubling issue of obstruction of justice. Mueller is unable to indict the President, but neither has he been able to declare him innocent. I guess the next step is up to Congress.
Otaku-sempai
Shield Bearer

Postby ihadababyitsaboy » Fri Apr 19, 2019 12:55 pm

At this point the matter of obstruction, given the special council's inability to charge a crime, is relegated to a purely political issue. I can't see Democrat leadership consenting to the politically-fraught path of formal impeachment at this point. I expect them to instead use the report to impugn the President's character and aim to beat him at the polls in 2020.
ihadababyitsaboy
Ranger of the North

Return to Philosophy: Councils of Manwë